From Twitter posr:

エヴォトイのVF-2SS バルキリーⅡ届いたけどなんだかな

やはり質感は安っぽい、しかも変形や可動はダメダメです

素材や構造がちゃっちいから、動かす度にギシギシ軋むし、パーツはポロポロ外れるし

弄るだけでストレスMAXになる商品

Google Translate:

Evotoi VF-2SS Valkyrie Ⅱ arrived but I somehow of

Again texture is cheesy , yet deformation and moving is Damedame

From the materials and structure Chatchii , to squeaky sorrel in time to move , part is to deviate flake

Goods be stressful MAX in tampering only

Not here to discourage anyone. I'm just sharing what I had read at Twitter by searching for pictures. :) Still excited for this release.

Glad you liked it Graham. Looking at that photo, the VF-2SS doesn't look like the old Bandai kit anymore, right? ;)

Google translate is pants

After reading it the twitter the complaints kinda irk me.

He complains that it looks and feels cheap in construction and material. He also said it sorta squeaks when you move joints and parts loosen up a lot when you touch it.......

HOpe it's not bandai VF-1 bad lol

oh boy......

Edited by Duymon

The sad thing, if this is a shelf warmer, is that Bandai and Arcadia will look at it and say there is no money to be made with Macross 2 and they will forsaken the license for the next 5 to 20 years.

However the presale numbers seemed to be high enough to warrant several releases of the VF-2SS. So it seems there is an interest there. If this comes from the retailers that think that a Macross 2 Valkyrie will sell as well as other high-priced Macross PT items no matter the quality/manufacturer or the fans that preordered enough units I cannot tell.

The basic gist of that tweet: It feels cheap, the transformation and articulation sucks, materials and structure are crap, bits fall off all the time, and overall it's just stressful (like, to da MAX, yo).

Ah, well. It's just one guy's opinion... :ph34r:

The basic gist of that tweet: It feels cheap, the transformation and articulation sucks, materials and structure are crap, bits fall off all the time, and overall it's just stressful (like, to da MAX, yo).

Ah, well. It's just one guy's opinion... :ph34r:

The sky is falling. Sell your VF-2SS as long as you can. I will pay $10 for it. :p

Don't you just love these Google Translate sentences !

"Deformation and moving is Damedame"

Thanks for sharing, that one made my day. Lol.

Again, out of curiosity do any of you own some Evo Toys Dynamite Action Mechas? ( not the Mazinger/Grendizer heads, I'm talking about the magnets held figures)

If you do, you should know exactly what kind of plastic/material and finish to expect.

Their most simple figures are fragile and fiddly. Add some complex transformation into the mix, it's bound to be messy.

Gonna to be a display piece rather than a *Whoosh-Whoosh* and *transforming 10 times a day* piece, no surprise on that front.

Plastic quality aside, detailing is at the top of my 'to improve' list. ( sad, don't even have it yet, and already want to change it).

It just looks too bare. All my spare Yamato unpainted 1/60 decal sheets should do the trick. That and some light grey panel lining. You know, the good old ' Detail Up'....

Anyone knows if it comes with decals? ( a basic stand would've been welcomed too...)

Some of the pics that are starting to surface don't look too horrid at least in fighter mode and from the top. ( undercarriage is scary...).

Anyway, no turning back now as it's already bought and shipped....

I would be happy if our 3D printing gurus start a new project:

"SAVE VF-2SS"

"Let's rebuild it!" (Especially shoulder and groin area mechanism)

Maybe Save should re-enlist under a new board name. Not as SaveRobotech but as SaveVF-2SS. ^_^

Ok, so, direct feedback from a Japanese collector that I know..... It's bad!

Fragile, and poorly built.

Known him for a while now, he is a Macross nut ( completely...), most importantly always very objective. He has posts on Tweeter.

Gutted!!!

I expected "not great" that's a given from Evo Toys, (yes, I know, I keep on about it, but everything I own from them is below-par), did not expect "bad" though, (;_;).

There you have it.

The sad thing, if this is a shelf warmer, is that Bandai and Arcadia will look at it and say there is no money to be made with Macross 2 and they will forsaken the license for the next 5 to 20 years.

However the presale numbers seemed to be high enough to warrant several releases of the VF-2SS. So it seems there is an interest there. If this comes from the retailers that think that a Macross 2 Valkyrie will sell as well as other high-priced Macross PT items no matter the quality/manufacturer or the fans that preordered enough units I cannot tell.

Or they will see that there are passionate fans of the franchise, that are aching for a quality release and that they (Bandai and/or Arcadia) will be inspired to create one and apparently easily surpass in form and function what Evolution produced.

Just trying to "bright-side" for those that want Macross II high-end toys.

-b.

That leaves the question what level of bad it is. I have determined the following levels:

1. Toynami bad
  2. 1/72 Yamato bad
  3. V1 VF-25 bad
  4. V1 VF-1 bad
  5. VF-0A Arcadia bad

Pick and choose ;)

Edited by Scyla

That leaves the question what level of bad it is. I have determined the following levels:

1. Toynami bad
  2. 1/72 Yamato bad
  3. V1 VF-25 bad
  4. V1 VF-1 bad
  5. VF-0A Arcadia bad

Pick and choose ;)

LOL....well, Toynami delivered what some considered decent packaging...but the toy was nowhere near line art accurate and was more of a "copy" of an old school design.....

Seems the same may apply to this ET VF-2SS....

Who knows if we'll ever see any other company take a shot at this in 1/60.....for now it's the only game in town....

It's definitely an unexpected quirky addition to anyone's VF stable...it may end up just a curiosity, like the Yamato VB-6 (until Bandai released their version...so history may repeat itself?)

Mine! So clean. Have to check for stickers underneath. :D

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Just kidding. It's one of those random tweet photos. Hehehe. ;)

After seeing the unboxed pic...it looks like at the very least the proportioning from top down got better. Check out this overlay of the B-Club drawing on the final.

vf-2ss_comparo.gif

That iconic (recolored) rendering from the DEC 91 issue in three dimensions would almost fit ;)

Edited by Bobby

After seeing the unboxed pic...it looks like at the very least the proportioning from top down got better. Check out this overlay of the B-Club drawing on the final.

vf-2ss_comparo.gif

That iconic (recolored) rendering from the DEC 91 issue in three dimensions would almost fit ;)

Nice work there...

I think it points out the biggest issue with the sculpt...the legs....they seem too short...or perhaps the torso section is too big....

It would have looked better in both battroid and fighter mode if the upper leg section would have been longer and a bit bulkier....

image.jpeg

As your animated pic shows....seems top view for fighter mode is going to be the best for display purposes.....so a good stand will go a long way for the VF-2SS...or sitting on a flight deck diorama display

Great superposition Bobby!

Notice how the legs of the VF-2SS in fighter mode should be more parallel, not at a "V" angle...Every pics show the legs spread apart ( that sounds so wrong....).

The top view one of the VF-2SS in Its box is a good one.

Don't think V1 of the VF-25 and VF-1 had issues in terms of material used. Transformation, anime accuracy etc yes, not great.

Although, the vintage toy collector in me still really like the looks and feel of the Yamato chunky and heavy V1. But hey, that's just the toy lover in me, not the Macross fan looking for the ultimate VF ( Maybe Bandai will get close to it with their DX Chogokin VF-1 who knows...)

I think it's between Toynami, and the little transformable Banpresto Vf's, (the Revoltechs are works of arts compared to the Banprestos!!)

Hopefully some modelling skills will be able to make it better, at least that's something to look forward to! Anyway, just a matter of waiting for those of us who took the plunge.

At least I'm happy to know what not to expect! ( is that even a sentence? )

From Twitter posr:

エヴォトイのVF-2SS バルキリーⅡ届いたけどなんだかな

やはり質感は安っぽい、しかも変形や可動はダメダメです

素材や構造がちゃっちいから、動かす度にギシギシ軋むし、パーツはポロポロ外れるし

弄るだけでストレスMAXになる商品

So basically,

"Evo Toy's VF-2ss Valkyrie II arrived and what can I say...

As expected, it feels cheap and the transformation and articulation is no good.

Because of the shoddy materials and construction, it creaks when you move it and parts fall out of place easily.

This is a product that will induce MAX stress just by touching it."

Wow... kinda harsh.

Edited by Actar

vf-2ss_comparo.gif

That's cool. ;) At first, I thought I saw a 'too much perfect' VF-2SS. With the correct proportion and details... :wub: Only to realize, I just saw the 'ghost photo' first. :lol:

Top view looks good. Looking up from the bottom view looks....unfinished. Between the outer intakes where the bars are looks like they stopped and forgot about it.

Edit: If they could somehow figure out a way to hide the bars with a larger inner intakes or something to fill in that area that would improve the look I think.

Edited by wmkjr

Based on my what I know about production runs and breaking even, I doubt that the presale numbers are what is justifying several releases.

In this case the recolors allow them to manufacture basically the same toy with different color schemes.

So if they need 3,000 to 5,000 total units to break even and make some profit, they can divide that up over several colors.

I created an account here several years ago to facilitate lurking and so this is my first post... The end results of this thing sounds awful so far, but I'm not at all regretful about my preorder. In fact, this is about what I expected from a small company with no transforming toy experience. I preordered to "take one for the team". I preordered for the future of the VF-2SS (and hopefully the metal siren, and the 2JA).

If HLJ doesn't lag on shipping it, I should have mine next week... Maybe I'll just never transform it. :p

...I really hope enough interest is shown for this thing that we get a better version down the line whether it's from Arcadia/Bandai, or a V2 from Evolution Toy. It would be nice if Evolution Toy could eventually make a good VF-2SS down the line... I think we need more players in the Macross toy field.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i haven't posted here much on purpose to avoid trash posts or overly complaining.

i hope this turns out to be solid. i want it to do well.

Edited by davidwhangchoi