Evolution Toy - VF-2SS Valkyrie I 《MACROSS II ~LOVERS AGAIN~&#1

joppewo

Every time I check this thread, it makes me sad. I really wanted to see this toy turn out awesome and be the perfect VF-2SS toy that everyone has been begging to have for years; but it just looks so bad. Like CM's corporation Legioss bad.

Every time I check this thread, it makes me sad. I really wanted to see this toy turn out awesome and be the perfect VF-2SS toy that everyone has been begging to have for years; but it just looks so bad. Like CM's corporation Legioss bad.

I'll second that, I've wanted a proper 2SS for twenty years but I look at the pics and I just can't do it. I've spent a lot of money on a toy before but despite the many flaws we've had on both our Yamcadia and Bandai Valks at least they all look great on the shelf. This thing looks so terribly cheap and miss-proportioned. The finish on the white, and especially the green fast packs, looks atrociously bad. Really, really, can in no way convince me to purchase type bad.

Well, I feel it's kind of a damned if I do and damned if I don't sort of situation.

I can see that it doesn't look very good, but it looks like it will be the only VF-2SS toy. I don't want to miss it.

On the other hand, if I did skip it and it does turn out to be the only VF-2SS toy ever, then I'll kick myself for it for years to come.

No, it doesn't make much logical sense. But that's how I feel about this particular Valkyrie. I have lots of emotion tied up in this one. In my imagination, I've flown this fighter more than any other.

And it would have to be of pretty hideous quality to not at least surpass my old and battered model kit.

But yeah, I'm not blind. I basically agree with all the naysayers. But I'm just gonna have to let myself get burned on this one. Call it battered toy purchaser syndrome.

And if Bandai steps up after this and makes the ultimate dream edition VF-2SS, then I'm cool with that too.

I'm with Mommar on this one. I LOVE the vf-2. LOVE. But not enough to buy this. I have pre-ordered the one with the SAP after cancelling my initial pre-order, at least it hides some of the ugly and maybe I can live with that. But the bare valk? Even if it's the only vf-2 toy ever, if it's bad I don't want it in my collection. And I certainly don't want to pay Arcadia prices for less than half Arcadia quality. Makes me sad, but perhaps if interest in this is even lukewarm a better company might take a shot.

I'm with GabrielV on this one. ;)

But I'm also looking forward on what Bandai shown on the last event. If that became real and in-production then I'm in for a 1/100 scale along with the VF-4 FB2014. That's the only Valks I will buy in that scale. Right now we don't know for sure if any other 'big' company will handle or tackle their own version of VF-2SS in 1/60 scale. For now, I think this is it for this specific Valk. ^_^

Then again, for sure you guys will hear definitely from us who preordered the Silvie one if it's worth buying or not the Faerie and Nexx. :rolleyes:

Does Yamcadia/Bandai put work into seam line removal? Moreover, what kind of plastic do they usually use? If it's polystyrene or ABS, you can use some easily-sourced cements to easily get rid of those. As for the finish, a clear coat would take care of that.

That said, thoae are issues you take care of on cheap $10 model kits, not $300(?) toys. I do think it looks better with these higher-res, closer-up shots, though.

I'm with Mommar on this one. I LOVE the vf-2. LOVE. But not enough to buy this. I have pre-ordered the one with the SAP after cancelling my initial pre-order, at least it hides some of the ugly and maybe I can live with that. But the bare valk? Even if it's the only vf-2 toy ever, if it's bad I don't want it in my collection. And I certainly don't want to pay Arcadia prices for less than half Arcadia quality. Makes me sad, but perhaps if interest in this is even lukewarm a better company might take a shot.

My problem is that the plastic on the SAP actually looks even more cheap than the rest of the Valk, IMO.

In less than a few weeks we will see if Evolution Toys has what it takes to make a complex transforming valkyrie toy. If this is what they are calling their "Premium Action Line" then I hope it can somewhat live up to its name. The CM's legioss and tread were at least made of good materials.....they just had an absolute disregard for locking tabs. Shake the legioss in fighter mode and parts started to unravel. :(

I hope Evolution Toys made this piece just poseable enough to pull off the pose from the opening. There will be no ab crunch for sure, but I could go for some splayed out head lasers. I can dream....

VF-2SS%20Pose_zps57rg6qzh.jpg

I've noticed that type of pose (super aggressive, with the shoulders pulled way back and the hips thrusting forward prominently) showing up more and more recently. I associate it most strongly with the Revoltech line of action figures; is it just me, and that type of posing has been prominent even as far back as the 80s/early 90s? Or is it something of a fad?

I've noticed that type of pose (super aggressive, with the shoulders pulled way back and the hips thrusting forward prominently) showing up more and more recently. I associate it most strongly with the Revoltech line of action figures; is it just me, and that type of posing has been prominent even as far back as the 80s/early 90s? Or is it something of a fad?

That kind of dynamic pose has been around since the 80s/early 90s, especially if Masami Obari was involved in the animation. That's a very "Obari" pose, which makes sense since was a staffer on MacII.

The Nexx reveal is rather exciting to me. I'm anxious to see Sylvie's Valkyrie in person now. If Evolution Toy makes this a fun and durable Macross II transforming toy, then that will will have me coming back to pre-order the SAP bundles. I've been holding back on those this time, waiting to see how the first one rates.

But yeah, looking at all three, I think Nexx shows a clear forward progression.

The Nexx reveal is rather exciting to me. I'm anxious to see Sylvie's Valkyrie in person now. If Evolution Toy makes this a fun and durable Macross II transforming toy, then that will will have me coming back to pre-order the SAP bundles. I've been holding back on those this time, waiting to see how the first one rates.

But yeah, looking at all three, I think Nexx shows a clear forward progression.

Something I thought was interesting was that some of the panel lines were inked in on the Nexx. Looking back at some of the files and art for the VF-2SS some of the panel lines were more distinct and stood out among other details on the valkyrie. Could ET be trying to replicate this look?

Yeah the plastic looks cheap. Yeah at first glance the SAP version can easily be mistaken for the unpainted Bandai model kit from the 90s. And yeah, it will probably be a froppy mess that doesn't lock together well, but it is the only game in town, even if it's far from perfect. So I'm sticking with my order.

Fully understand why many are staying away though.

Something I thought was interesting was that some of the panel lines were inked in on the Nexx. Looking back at some of the files and art for the VF-2SS some of the panel lines were more distinct and stood out among other details on the valkyrie. Could ET be trying to replicate this look?

Such as those around the wrists, ankles, and thighs in Bat mode? The VF-1 has these accents too. I think if Evolution Toy intends to keep them on the retail version of the VF-2SS that would definitely help to break up all that white.

Not buying this one, I just don't like it. But I do believe this won't be the last VF-2 we'll see. I want to believe.

Considering how many years we've had to wait already, and the fact that the only game we're getting is from an (admittedly) third rate company? I'm not holding my breath. I'm also clinging to my order for dear life, because this is the valkyrie I've waited half my life for. Sure, it looks kinda cheap and low on the detail, but it's a VF-2SS. In the immortal words of Ground'skeeper willie, 'it's not pretty, but eet'll dyoo'

Not buying this one, I just don't like it. But I do believe this won't be the last VF-2 we'll see. I want to believe.

There's always the possibility that Bandai's Hi-Metal R version will come to fruition, but that would be 1/100-ish. Seeing as Evolution's version is very likely to be the only 1/60 rendition produced before I'm old and grey and no longer interested, maybe ever, I'll go through with my Silvie preorder in the hopes it will surprise me -- not expecting it to, but if it does I'll buy the rest of the line; and if not, I may spring for a stand-alone SAP if offered, and that will likely be it.

Should Bandai deliver on what they've shown, I'll get theirs too... now it they would consider a DX version...

A Bandai 1/60 DX VF-2SS, fully detailed, fully tampo'd with SAP is my new holy grail, likely never happen though.

I do think we shouldn't be expecting too much from Evolution toys. perfect transformation VF toys are not an easy thing to manufacture or get right, if you don't have experience of them. Look how long it took Yamato. Even a toy giant like Bandai who had years of mecha experience with Gundam, struggled at first with Frontier Valks and have only hit their stride in the last few years.

Graham

A Bandai 1/60 DX VF-2SS, fully detailed, fully tampo'd with SAP is my new holy grail, likely never happen though.

I do think we shouldn't be expecting too much from Evolution toys. perfect transformation VF toys are not an easy thing to manufacture or get right, if you don't have experience of them. Look how long it took Yamato. Even a toy giant like Bandai who had years of mecha experience with Gundam, struggled at first with Frontier Valks and have only hit their stride in the last few years.

Graham

If were lucky maybe they'll keep doing Valks and keep getting better like Yamato and Bandai. after this they can do a not nearly as disappointing metal siren, then a positively decent VF-2JA before starting over with a good VF-2SS.

I have alot of experience with Evolution Toys. I have bought 11 of their Dynamite Action line figures. There are a few immutable trends that each and every one of their figures I have bought share. They always look like they are high quality well made figures, yet when handled feel much cheaper than they look. They always feel more fragile than they actually are (mind you never had one break or anything, they just don't feel as hearty or robust as say a SOC). They are always of some more obscure or less familiar hero or even villain and they are always tons of fun to play with and handle. Especially their Dynamite Action line. They use the magnetic ball joints and all parts are interchangable w each other including the original Takara Magnemos. They make me feel like a kid again. You can actually play with them and make different combinations etc.. Ok I digress. Every one of their toys I enjoy, yet I always look at them and wonder why they chose to do this or wish that they had done this slightly different. I almost never do that with say a SOC. For example their Big Dai-X is fantastic, I love it. It has a chest weapon and little doors that open up on the chest to expose it. They applied the paint so thick on the chest that it's almost impossible to get the chest doors open due to there being limited clearance because of the thick paint. I used a exacto to pry both doors open carefully and worked them opened and closed enough so that it's better, but you'd never see this on a SOC. Little things like this with each figure that I wish they had done differently or put more care or attention into, but are not deal breakers nor do they make me regret the purchase. At the end of the day I have a new toy of a character that either has never had a toy produced of it or hasn't had a toy produced of it in the last 30 years. And I'm happy to have it and not another superiorly constructed re-re-re-re-paint re-re-re-re-release of Mazinger Z. Evo Toys niche is making small limited runs of slightly better than average, though not stellar or Bandai quality figures of obscure or non mainstream characters that no large company has the cohones to produce for fear of less than stellar sales. This VF-2SS is no different. Bandai and Yamcadia have made um.. How many different Valkyrie toys in how many different scales re-released how many times? Yet NEVER a VF-2SS. Because they know it won't sell as well as still yet another VF-1S Hikaru Strike. I commend Evo Toys on having the sack to make this and I will buy every release and have no regrets. Because my expectatinos are being set accordingly. I will get a toy that looks good but not perfect that I will handle and say to myself "well I wish this was different or better" and I won't care. Because thanks to them I finally have a VF-2SS to join my countless other mechs on the shelf. And who knows maybe this will sell just well enough and spark Bandai or Arcadia into throwing their hat into the VF-2SS ring. Then I'll get another undoubtedly superior VF-2SS to stand next to tis one. Win win win.

Amen to that sir. ;) Any chance if you have their LASERION as well? I'm planning on getting one but the price against the size kinda turned me off. :unsure:

Nah, Laserion never didn't for me. I have Big Dai-X, Shin Jeeg, original Jeeg, Getter Dragon, Metallic Getter Dragon, Shin getter Dragon, Bryger, Gaiking, Daikengo and 2 Mazinger villains (forgot names). None are perfect. All have some niggling imperfect item or design choice. All are (IMHO) over priced for what I got. Thrilled to own all of them. They tick all the boxes for me.

Nah, Laserion never didn't for me. I have Big Dai-X, Shin Jeeg, original Jeeg, Getter Dragon, Metallic Getter Dragon, Shin getter Dragon, Bryger, Gaiking, Daikengo and 2 Mazinger villains (forgot names). None are perfect. All have some niggling imperfect item or design choice. All are (IMHO) over priced for what I got. Thrilled to own all of them. They tick all the boxes for me.

Cool. Thanks for the insight regarding their products. ;)

Not sure if this is already been posted. New photos from TagHobby. Looks nice. ;)

EY024.jpg

The current version of Sylvie valkyrie looks to be closer to the production version with actual metal being visible and more markings. This could be the final version, but I hope the final one has more tampo printing and paint applications.

Edited by SuperHobo

Another thing that concerns me from the pictures...

The Faerie Squadron SAP they have in fighter mode has it's wings extended. The wings are not supposed to be extended with the SAP is attached.

However, it looks like the reason they've done this is to prop up the wings of the SAP level. This is a problem on the model kit too. The SAP wings sag because they're on a up/down joint.

I noticed the different in the right leg armor too. Any words if there will be two versions of the SAP, or with both armors be include in a single set of SAP?

I think Nexx has that indent on the leg armor since it holds the Heavy Rail Gun. Not sure if we're going to get both leg armors in the single set. Sad to say we're not 100% sure if ever they will going to release the single set. :unsure:

The current version of Sylvie valkyrie looks to be closer to the production version with actual metal being visible and more markings. This could be the final version, but I hope the final one has more tampo printing and paint applications.

Some MWer guys who visited the show says that the Silvie one is still the early model. Whereas the Nexx and the Faerie one is somehow closer to the final product. And let's hope that the final product will look nice compared to these photos. :)

Another thing that concerns me from the pictures...

The Faerie Squadron SAP they have in fighter mode has it's wings extended. The wings are not supposed to be extended with the SAP is attached.

However, it looks like the reason they've done this is to prop up the wings of the SAP level. This is a problem on the model kit too. The SAP wings sag because they're on a up/down joint.

Probably they forgot to transform it properly in Fighter/SAP mode. ;)

I want to see some higher quality pictures of it, looks like there are more panel lines that have been obscured because of the harsh lighting in the white body of the valk.

In all. I am torn about getting a stand alone VF-2 and I am more certain about a SAP equipped one.

Some MWer guys who visited the show says that the Silvie one is still the early model. Whereas the Nexx and the Faerie one is somehow closer to the final product. And let's hope that the final product will look nice compared to these photos. :)

The interesting part is that this sample for Silvie's valkyrie is different than the one they showed at Wonderfest. The wonderfest sample was missing a lot of key paint details like the neck still being cast in white plastic, no markings on the shoulder etc. Evolution Toys show us the final product for Silvie's 2SS already!

Edited by SuperHobo