Evolution Toy - VF-2SS Valkyrie I 《MACROSS II ~LOVERS AGAIN~&#1

joppewo

I'm sorry to say that I think I may have to pass on this one. I was super stoked to get a vf-2ss but I can't devote my limited funds on this. The money is better put to other better releases. Maybe if I didn't have kids and more disposable income I would've said what the hay and got one anyway.

I'm with Sandman, if I wasn't covering for my Mom's expenses and Medical Bills now I could justify rolling the dice on something like this. But they haven't hit it out of the park. If we're lucky it's a bunt. I can't take that risk right now. I wouldn't the thrilled with how it was turning out even if I didn't have the additional expenses.

I think we have heard enough bashing. All the updates available and so little discussion on the actual toy? Let's also take a little time to talk about what you DO like about this release instead. After all it is a gutsy attempt and may be the only VF-2SS toy EVER. Besides, all the negative talk may be swaying those who would buy it and therefore reduce sale and eliminate the possibility of the SAP. More is always better!!!

My immediate thought after hearing how they are still working on it, and aware of some of the issues was, "oh no, and all sorts of folks are already cancelling preorders." Maybe this company has the ability to address some of these issues before release, unlike some of the bigger players?

My immediate thought after hearing how they are still working on it, and aware of some of the issues was, "oh no, and all sorts of folks are already cancelling preorders." Maybe this company has the ability to address some of these issues before release, unlike some of the bigger players?

Doubt it. Retooling and tweaking molds is really expensive and they're already charging the maximum for a toy in this category.

Probably due to various bandai/arcadia/yamato valks' releases, evo toys had already a mountain of expectations to meet.

I certainly think if this preview was in the early days, the toy would be more welcoming.

That being said, the M2 designs were more radical in design and probably perfect transformation had to have lots of accomadations.

At the very least i would think most folks would buy it anyway if it looked great in fighter mode!

I'm sure anymoon will review it. We can live through him haha

I'm back in school though! I'll review it... eventually, but I guarantee you'll have seen lots of reviews before then (I'm hoping for a bargain bin pick-up, no preorder here). Man, I'm still working on a Bandai VF-19Advance review that I started months ago :(

I think we have heard enough bashing. All the updates available and so little discussion on the actual toy? Let's also take a little time to talk about what you DO like about this release instead. After all it is a gutsy attempt and may be the only VF-2SS toy EVER. Besides, all the negative talk may be swaying those who would buy it and therefore reduce sale and eliminate the possibility of the SAP. More is always better!!!

No worries here. :) I'm still keeping my preorder for this Valk despite of all the negative remarks and the photos shown online and by doing so I now feel that it's a gamble somehow. But in the end, I still think positive about it. ;)

I wouldn't be too worried about the bashing its getting from folks on this forum.. besides not absolutely everyone is hating on it. Im sure this thing will still sell like well in Japan but if it doesn't then that will be the true determining factor for ET to produce the SAP or not and not the small minority of bashers in forums like this and whatever..

Yeah its not looking the best but in saying that I'd still happily have one only if it was at least half the price they have set the MSRP at..

Edited by spanner76

Honestly, it really doesn't look that bad in battroid or plane mode, if you looking at it top down, but if you flip it over to the bottom that's when things get a little disappointing.

Not to mention, the price they're asking. I think it's 50 dollars too much for what they're offering.

I keep my preorder for now. However if ET doesn't release images with updates before the supposed release in December I'm probably canceling it. The VF-0S, MP Road Rage and a figurine is due in December and also Christmas. I want this toy for the novellity and my love for the VF-2SS design but it just doesn't look like something I will enjoy. :(

Honestly, it really doesn't look that bad in battroid or plane mode, if you looking at it top down, but if you flip it over to the bottom that's when things get a little disappointing.

Not to mention, the price they're asking. I think it's 50 dollars too much for what they're offering.

Its more like double the price too much especially for the detail and finish they have shown in the latest photos. I have no doubt there are many who are still holding out in hope that the final version will be a step up but to me I don't think ET would want to show off a half baked product this early before release and put off potential buyers.. Clearly what we have been shown is the final release toy even if they further improve detail the cockpit and landing gear of which they certainly need to!

From the pics we've seen so far it would seem there isn't even 50% of the engineering in the ET toy than there is in a Yamato/Arcadia v2 VF-1 (which are now pale in comparison to the more modern releases) and there is plenty of existing Valkyrie toys out there that they could have drawn technical information from in assisting the development of their toy. I think ET would have been better to price this Valk as a "testing the waters" type affair rather than simply jumping in with a higher than expected MSRP and expect buyers to accept a half arsed product simply because it will be the niche in the market or at least in the 1/60 Macross toy line. Its my honest opinion that ET have probably blown their chance with this one and are being a little cheeky with the price.

better photos yes but still not looking any better if that makes sense.. seriously not liking those horribly exposed hinges and joints especially in fighter and gerwalk modes. The back pack and boosters are incorrectly staggered too compared to the line art. And sheesh those landing gear are reminiscent of the old 1/55 chunky days.. Overall it still looks awfully cheaply made. The general vibe I get from this toy is early 2000's build quality and methodology. Definitely doesn't fit in with recent releases especially for the price they are asking.

i havent been looking in here for a bit, but i just HAD to check those new pics out. i gotta admit, I like that better than i did the first few pics i saw. I dunno what i'd pay for it, but it isnt an instant 'no' for me anymore.

Given that I've been waiting for 15 years or so for a toy like this, there's no way in any hell that I'm cancelling any preorder. For better or worse, this baby is MINE. I'll definitely at least put together some photos and give my thoughts on the finished product whenever I get it in hand, at least, although I'm honestly pretty easy to please when it comes to toys in this category. (I'm still satisfied with my Yamato 1/60 YF-19 and V1 Bandai VF-25s, so....)

i havent been looking in here for a bit, but i just HAD to check those new pics out. i gotta admit, I like that better than i did the first few pics i saw. I dunno what i'd pay for it, but it isnt an instant 'no' for me anymore.

I think it has quickly and clearly becoming the case of how much we'd pay for this thing.. Obviously for the right price we'd all buy it but as it stands the price they have set for this things has got a lot of people doubting its worth. Myself included.

As I have mentioned previously the ET toy simply does not posses anywhere near the level of engineering of a v2 VF-1 but what it comes down to is there really isn't any reason why it shouldn't.

Given that I've been waiting for 15 years or so for a toy like this, there's no way in any hell that I'm cancelling any preorder. For better or worse, this baby is MINE. I'll definitely at least put together some photos and give my thoughts on the finished product whenever I get it in hand, at least, although I'm honestly pretty easy to please when it comes to toys in this category. (I'm still satisfied with my Yamato 1/60 YF-19 and V1 Bandai VF-25s, so....)

Yeah but 15 years is definitely a long time to wait for a lackluster product. Its like ET knows they can get away with building something subpar simply because there is no alternative available..

kitty_zps50flznk5.jpg

LOL! :lol:

I think it has quickly and clearly becoming the case of how much we'd pay for this thing.. Obviously for the right price we'd all buy it but as it stands the price they have set for this things has got a lot of people doubting its worth. Myself included.

As I have mentioned previously the ET toy simply does not posses anywhere near the level of engineering of a v2 VF-1 but what it comes down to is there really isn't any reason why it shouldn't.

Yeah but 15 years is definitely a long time to wait for a lackluster product. Its like ET knows they can get away with building something subpar simply because there is no alternative available..

LOL! :lol:

I wouldn't say that. I think the problem is that they don't have much experience with a perfect transformation toy. It can be quite difficult to figure out what flies and what doesn't. Even Yamato and Bandai had to release a few sub par toys until they get it right. The impressions I got from listening to the Speaker Podcast was that ET is quite enthusiastic about the project. The companies can't be all like Takatoku Toys and get it right the first time around. :)

However I have to say that market research should give them a good idea what a 2015/16 PT Valkyrie toy should look and feel like and what progress has been since the Chunky Monkey over the Yamato 1/72 Macross Plus Valkyries resulting in the Renewal Frontier Valkyries and the recent Arcadia toys. It also should give them directions where the price should be. For the asking price they should be able to offer an item of similar quality than the VF-25 Renewal toys.

I just canceled my pre-order with HLJ. I have 2 other high priced toys on pre-order at other websites. For the price I'd much rather have those other toys. If I save up some more money, I might reconsider picking it up if it's still available, but I'm not going to worry about it if I don't have the funds or if it's sold out.

I just saw the new pics of the 22 and It needs major refining. If this is the final product then forget it. It looks like a hundred dollar toy max and thats it. There isn't even no details or panel lines. I keep thinking about how the first release of the VF-25 from Bandai was so-so an than later they refined it in the renewal. Perhaps this company will do that down the line.

Edited by Muzaffar

Hi everyone... I haven't read thru the whole thread but as long as people are not being rude or impolite to each other, there's no rules against people being disappointed with the looks of a product. Although, I do agree with the whole "say your piece and move on" mentality. But with an item like this that rightfully gets attention, good or bad... you're not going to avoid the constant influx of different people checking in and saying what they want to.

That is all... this is in response to a report turned in that wasn't targeting a specific post.

That cat pic is disgusting though... do we really have to put each other thru that? :lol:

Thank you EXO. :)

It sounds like a lot of people are not happy with the price for what they get with the ET VF-2SS. Regarding Evolution Toys (ET), their product has always been priced very high. However, they almost exclusively produce obscure figures/characters that has either NEVER been done or hasn't been done in a long time. Their target audience is therefore fans who will pay to get the obscure characters/figures that they have always wanted. However, I don't believe they have much (if any) experience with perfect transformation toys, as many of their products are parts forming. The sculpt of some of their products have been spot on, while slightly off on others. I own their Albegas (Voltron III for those who don't know) figure. It's high priced and all plastic save the magnets, but it's the only modern Albegas out there.

My point is, the reason ET's products are high priced is because they are always niche products with likely low production numbers. That has always been the case with this company. There is a price to pay for a niche product. We like to compare Bandai and Arcadia on their price vs. what you get. It's the similar comparison with ET but perhaps a little more extreme version of it.

At the end of the day, one more company is doing Macross, and one more entirely new bird, with possibility of a SAP coming down the line. It's a good time to be a Macross fan.

Exactly, how many times do the same folks need to come back and agree that they do not like it? We get it, you are displeased...maybe move on to the threads of toys you actually like?

The same goes for pointing out what is wrong...again...we get it...there are many things wrong.....none of which any number of posts will resolve....only ET can resolve them if they wish to release a toy that will be more in line with modern toy collectors' expectations....I feel that some of the members have made very detailed explanations as to "what is wrong" and have posted pics to illustrate their point....constructive criticism is always welcome.....but rehashing the same complaints serves no purpose.....

In a way this thread has turned into just a complaint fest...similar to how the Macross Delta thread was turning into a "what-if" or "I wish they do this" thread and ended up getting locked....

Maybe ET will decide to address some of the concerns posted on this thread (although wouldn't only the concerns posted by the Japanese market even matter to ET and if that is the case, why complain on this thread...for some Macross II catharsis? ^_^ Hopefully, similar complaints are being made to ET from their primary Japanese market consumers)....

.........Or simply just nuke the thread from orbit..... :p

Edited by jvmacross

I'm really torn on this one. I really want to keep my VF-2SS order, if only because, good or bad, no one is ever going to try this again given how many of us are cancelling pre-orders. We can talk about what a great job Bandai or Arcadia would do, but why would they even both to take the risk?

Honestly, I'm not really sure if ET is doing any actual innovative engineering or even original designing on this VF22SS.

It's like they're just copying the old Bandai 1/100 almost wholesale, albeit in a bigger scale and connecting the parts to make it non-parstforming.

Has anyone identified any new stuff on this other than it not being a partsformer like the old 1/100 Bandai?

Exactly, how many times do the same folks need to come back and agree that they do not like it? We get it, you are displeased...maybe move on to the threads of toys you actually like?

The same goes for pointing out what is wrong...again...we get it...there are many things wrong.....none of which any number of posts will resolve....only ET can resolve them if they wish to release a toy that will be more in line with modern toy collectors' expectations....I feel that some of the members have made very detailed explanations as to "what is wrong" and have posted pics to illustrate their point....constructive criticism is always welcome.....but rehashing the same complaints serves no purpose.....

In a way this thread has turned into just a complaint fest...similar to how the Macross Delta thread was turning into a "what-if" or "I wish they do this" thread and ended up getting locked....

Maybe ET will decide to address some of the concerns posted on this thread (although wouldn't only the concerns posted by the Japanese market even matter to ET and if that is the case, why complain on this thread...for some Macross II catharsis? ^_^ Hopefully, similar complaints are being made to ET from their primary Japanese market consumers)....

.........Or simply just nuke the thread from orbit..... :p

*snip*

Then shall we switch the topic? At the moment I'm trying to figure out how exactly the VF-2SS transformation is working with the help of the M³. Are there any other schematics on how it works. Or are there any videos on the transformation ins slow-motion? I know Veef did a review of the Bandai kit for CollectionDX (which is not PT) but I have a hard time finding more line-art and schematics.

Did Studio Half Eye or another garage kit company release a transformable kit of the Valkyrie II?

While trying to present constructive cirticism I got the idea that maybe the design wasn't as fleshed out as the Kawamori designs when it comes to transformation and that a real life transformation of the VF-2SS is impossible to achieve when trying to be line-art accurate. Looking at the transformation details it seems plausible but there might not be enough bulk in the main fuselage to hide the arms and the head turret. I also have to add that I like the design of Macross 2 main fighter much more than some of the designs in the other instances of Macross.

Any input on how the transformation works is appreciated.

Edited by Scyla

I was mildly interested in this toy when it first appeared, and even though I'm not too keen on the design or its source material, I wonder if scratchbuilding a "kit"/toy of it wouldn't be possible.

I had a lot of text written breaking down the way it seemed like the design was laid out, but I think the biggest flaw in the ET rendition is just that the proportions are out of whack. Not altogether anything new to Macross, though. The Yamato and Bandai VF-1s all look not quite right in any of their three modes. The most well-proportioned VF-1s, the Hasegawas, are built as three separate non-transforming kits to avoid this issue altogether.

There's enough consistency across modes in this design that I think it could reasonably be engineered to transform without sacrificing in the looks, but that would make for a very delicate toy. ET have, I think, simply traded more of the "model" aspect in favor of the "toy" aspect.

EDIT:

At the moment I'm trying to figure out how exactly the VF-2SS transformation is working with the help of the M³. Are there any other schematics on how it works.

Looking at the transformation details it seems plausible but there might not be enough bulk in the main fuselage to hide the arms and the head turret. I also have to add that I like the design of Macross 2 main fighter much more than some of the designs in the other instances of Macross.

Any input on how the transformation works is appreciated.

That's my assumption right now as well. Behind the upper air intakes there's actually just empty space until the arms/head, with that space broken up by the leg swing bar (more of a flat expanse than a bar) and other internals. The lower vertical fin is, I think, meant to break up that empty space, but it doesn't do a great job.

The ET toy doesn't try to emulate the legs' swing bar mechanism, which is, as said, a sort of hinged rectangular piece. Instead they went with their swinging slanted bars setup. It trades on "lineart accuracy" for sturdier joints.

Edited by kajnrig