Evolution Toy - VF-2SS Valkyrie I 《MACROSS II ~LOVERS AGAIN~&#1

joppewo

Well then. I was all for giving them a chance, and I am grateful they chose to give us a good look a the product, but they lost me on this one. This is not worth the asking price. How hard is it to crib the swing bar mechanism from Arcadia or bandai? Or rotating knees? Or that giant plank coming off the backpack? Unfortunately the thrusters next to the back pack are all the way up in battroid mode in this pic, so that's wrong too. I was positive about this project till they gave me a reason to go negative, and they surely did do that.

Is a grail worth keeping if looking at it makes you mad?

These images show why I love the vf-2, and this toy is just, wow.

vf2b01.jpg

And here is a custom 1/100 that get's it more right than this. Maybe not perfect, but this is a single person doing a hobby job. http://valkyrie.cloud-line.com/modelart/fly4v/

it looks like who ever has had a go at this Valk hasn't been able to nail it.. This thing is gonna need some serious engineering from either Bandai or Arcadia till it resembles something much closer to the anime and that properly satisfies the fans.

Edited by spanner76

better photos yes but still not looking any better if that makes sense.. seriously not liking those horribly exposed hinges and joints especially in fighter and gerwalk modes. The back pack and boosters are incorrectly staggered too compared to the line art. And sheesh those landing gear are reminiscent of the old 1/55 chunky days.. Overall it still looks awfully cheaply made. The general vibe I get from this toy is early 2000's build quality and methodology. Definitely doesn't fit in with recent releases especially for the price they are asking.

Edited by spanner76

Easy pass for me. I cancelled my preorder. I was never a huge fan of the Mac II design's and this looks like a $30 dollar toy. When I first saw the toy in fighter mode it reminded me of the old converters line from the mid 80's. I would be embarrassed to display it alongside my Yamato/Arcadia and Bandai toys.

Nice find...thanks for posting!

It looks great....looking forward to getting it.

On some pics it looks like it is not transformed correctly...with some parts not aligned or tabs not connected....so hopefully that is just human error and not poor fitment....

My only issue with the mold is the tabs on the chest piece....they really couldn't have hid those?

I'm thinking they could have made them slide up/down or rotate....maybe someone can come up with a solution once it's out....

Oh....and looks like the pilot is still not painted...not happy about an unpainted fig on the retail version...but I can deal with it....

Ballziest toy release of the year!

The new pics have sealed it for me. I'm cancelling my pre-order. It looks like it's made from $30 materials. Every joint is an eyesore. They clearly did not look at any of the modern Valks produced Bandai or Arcadia. If we never get another 2SS because this sells bad it's none of our faults. It's the fault of Evolution Toy clearly putting out an inferior product at the same price point as an Arcadia.

Fighter mode doesn't really seem to "come together" at all. It's more like 5 chunks flying in very close formation, than a single coherent vehicle. There's HUGE gaps and struts hanging out all over.

That post got me thinking what the main problem is with the toy. I think that there is not enough room in the main fuselage. That might be an oversight in the VF-2SS design so that a real life, transformable toy of the Valkyrie II can't recreate line art. After looking at the line art it seems that the cover for the head, the backpack and the arms should be roughly at the same height resulting in a sleek undercarriage:

post-18307-0-95048400-1445113681_thumb.png

On the ET version there are many different height levels. For example the arms hang to low resulting in massive gaps in the toy as well as the weird head cover that is creating by folding a part of the backpack down. This also results in the head cover being too long in Gerwalk- and Battroid-Mode:

post-18307-0-53138600-1445113688_thumb.png

This also leads to the wings bars for the legs being not far enough inside fuselage. I think the bars should be hidden behind the secondary intakes and the the area under the cockpit where the swing bars are mounted should be covered by another panel. This way the underside would be much sleeker and the fin would sit much closer to the head turret:

post-18307-0-44625800-1445113695_thumb.png

Someone that has more knowledge of the VF-2SS design can chime in an correct me but I think the way it looks now is not correct.

After outing myself as a huge nerd I have to say that the main problem of the toy is the missing detail. The secondary intakes are not painted. The missing cockpit detailing, the plain landing gear. All this makes the toy not look like a collectible (going by its MSRP it should be that) but rather a model-kit. And not one of the awesome snap-fit gunpla kits. :unsure:

Edited by Scyla

Some of those joints are the weirdest things I've ever seen.. what's up with the wrist.. cuff.. flippy parts? Literally the only time I've seen a construction like that on a valk was when I used a cylindrical plate to mount the hands on a Lego valk I made, just because they had built-in pivot points.

The molding and construction looks clean at least, but I don't know how that thing will ever stay together. The mounting tabs for the legs in fighter mode are incredibly tiny.

Also, as far as construction goes, the reason the belly looks so empty is because they didn't make the intakes under the chest plate deep enough. That entire assembly should be thick enough to completely envelop the swing bars for the legs.

Sad that it looks like while everything else is such a mess, this might be the first actual example of movable intake covers. :huh:

Edited by Chronocidal

damn, does anyone know if you can get a refund for a pre order at anime export?

Have you check their FAQ?

http://www.anime-export.com/page/faq

What is your cancellation policy for pre orders and other items?

• - Orders can be fully cancelled with no cancellation fees if unpaid.
  • - If the order is not paid in 48 hours it will be cancelled automatically by our system.
  • - Once paid a 20% cancellation fee applies to all orders if cancelled if 60 days from payment are past.
  • - Items on pre order can be cancelled if in the 60 days of payment date.
  • - Special items can’t be cancelled (Tamashii web items or out of production items and rare items)

tampo printed reds

sounds like the grey part is under consideration (matte or glossy?)

it talks about its glossy white but i'm not sure if it said if it'll stay that way

extendable feet

diecast frame

diecast joints

diecast landing gear

comes with unpainted pilot

cockpit not yet painted, but will be in actual product.

also sounds like they are still working out how arms and legs will lock in fighter mode.

Overall, sounds like this is very much a work in progress and there are some improvements worth watching for.

Edited by locidm

Thanks for the quick summary locidm! I just finished reading a Google translated version of that page which is basically what locidm posted plus wings can pivot up/down? And they know that the way the arms and legs look in fighter are distorted and are working on it.

Im familiar with evo toys products. I have their other diecast line toys.

Their engineering level is somewhat close to that of very early Yamato Macross toys.

Remember the very first Macross plus toys? Its that level...

Their engineering level is somewhat close to that of very early Yamato Macross toys.

Yeah, it really shows. At least Yamatoi's M+ stuff had only cost $60-80 at the time.

I agree... this is Early 2000's type of engineering as far as transforming toys.... Kinda glad. It frees up some cash as far buying multiple Hi-Metal Regults and CF VF-1s.

I agree... this is Early 2000's type of engineering as far as transforming toys.... Kinda glad. It frees up some cash as far buying multiple Hi-Metal Regults and CF VF-1s.

As more pics come out I keep flip flopping back and forth trying decide to keep or cancel my pre-order. I keep thinking about what else I could get with the same amount of money. I've sold stuff on ebay anticipating this release. So I have this money sitting in my PayPal account. Edited by sharky