Evolution Toy - VF-2SS Valkyrie I 《MACROSS II ~LOVERS AGAIN~&#1

joppewo

If they parts-formed it or had a detachable plate, then we'd all be complaining about that.

I know parts-forming is seen as a huge crime against humanity around here, but for the record I've never had a problem with it, especially if it solves major issues with the aesthetics or improves durability vs an intricate and delicate mechanism.

It's been a while since I've reviewed or watched the VF-2SS transform in the anime. People are saying it uses extensive anime magic to transform, which to me translates to requiring parts-forming in a real toy.

Well then. I was all for giving them a chance, and I am grateful they chose to give us a good look a the product, but they lost me on this one. This is not worth the asking price. How hard is it to crib the swing bar mechanism from Arcadia or bandai? Or rotating knees? Or that giant plank coming off the backpack? Unfortunately the thrusters next to the back pack are all the way up in battroid mode in this pic, so that's wrong too. I was positive about this project till they gave me a reason to go negative, and they surely did do that.

Is a grail worth keeping if looking at it makes you mad?

These images show why I love the vf-2, and this toy is just, wow.

D.jpg

B-1.jpgvf2b01.jpg

And here is a custom 1/100 that get's it more right than this. Maybe not perfect, but this is a single person doing a hobby job. http://valkyrie.cloud-line.com/modelart/fly4v/

I know parts-forming is seen as a huge crime against humanity around here, but for the record I've never had a problem with it, especially if it solves major issues with the aesthetics or improves durability vs an intricate and delicate mechanism.

It's been a while since I've reviewed or watched the VF-2SS transform in the anime. People are saying it uses extensive anime magic to transform, which to me translates to requiring parts-forming in a real toy.

Yes, it is seen as a problem for most, but not all of us. I used to post about it years back that instead of making these expensive perfect transformation products that have to compromise on style and durability, I'd much prefer a parts former that allowed for simpler, less expensive transformability that helped make all the modes solid and durable. One of the main reasons why I lamented missing out on the Yamato VF-4 - and am so damned excited for this Arcaida re-release - was because the VF-4 had been praised as one of the most solid of all Macross toys, on par with the Yamato/Arcadia VF-1 Valkyrie. Of coruse, the VF-4 is perfect transformation, but my point is a solid transformable is uncommon and I agree that many lesser toys could benefit from the efficiency and sound engineering of a parts former.

Considering the acrobatics the legs have to go through on this design, I don't think any amount of swing bar redesign will give you something that looks good, or works correctly. Now, maybe if they reversed the mounting point, and moved the swing hinges to the backplate instead of under the chest? I don't know.

I'm not actually convinced that there's no thigh swivel though, some of the gerwalk pictures show at least a little twist behind the knees. It might be just a lack of practice in posing.

Yes, it is seen as a problem for most, but not all of us. I used to post about it years back that instead of making these expensive perfect transformation products that have to compromise on style and durability, I'd much prefer a parts former that allowed for simpler, less expensive transformability that helped make all the modes solid and durable. One of the main reasons why I lamented missing out on the Yamato VF-4 - and am so damned excited for this Arcaida re-release - was because the VF-4 had been praised as one of the most solid of all Macross toys, on par with the Yamato/Arcadia VF-1 Valkyrie. Of coruse, the VF-4 is perfect transformation, but my point is a solid transformable is uncommon and I agree that many lesser toys could benefit from the efficiency and sound engineering of a parts former.

I own a VF-4, but I wouldn't consider it as a particularly solid toy. It feels pretty fragile to be honest, especially when pulling out the arms and locking the nosecone onto the crotch in battroid. It's still a good representation of the valk, but I personally think sturdiness is one of its strongest points.

I own a VF-4, but I wouldn't consider it as a particularly solid toy. It feels pretty fragile to be honest, especially when pulling out the arms and locking the nosecone onto the crotch in battroid. It's still a good representation of the valk, but I personally think sturdiness is one of its strongest points.

I recall the reviews and videos I watched about the Yamato release as many stating it was one of the more solid and durable of the Macross transformables. If you're saying that's not the case, that is disappointing. But I'll take the chance.

I think they are talking about the modes. The vf-4 feels really solid in fighter mode, so much so that you would be forgiven for thinking it wasn't a transforming toy. I have friends who have looked at it in my collection and been surprised it was fully transformable. The modes on this toy look fragile and sloppy.

I recall the reviews and videos I watched about the Yamato release as many stating it was one of the more solid and durable of the Macross transformables. If you're saying that's not the case, that is disappointing. But I'll take the chance.

Actually, the VF-4 is one solid trasnforming valkyrie. Lots of people praised this one. Me, included. :wub: The only gripe I have on this valk besides the ones mentioned on the reviews such as the shoulder, hands, missiles, etc., is how thin the plastic on the wings. And not to mention the 'pointy-ness'. I snapped one of the pointy things in one of the wings when I accidentally bumped the valk by the wall. Good thing I didn't lost the plastic so I glued it back. And that's the one I'm going to use for Flashback customizing. I mean, they should've somehow made the wings a little bit thicker in all of their valks. That's also the same thing I noticed on the VF-0's. The Yamato VF-0S that I have has thicker wings. Whereas the new Arcadia ones are thinner. :wacko:

But overall, yes, the VF-4G is one superb valk worth collecting. ;)

But back to topic, I sometimes get carried away to everyone's comments and post like how bad the valk is, and sometimes I just want to cancel my preorder and allocate the funds to something else. :unsure: But at the back of my mind, I still want to have it. Coz I have a feeling that it really will take awhile for this one to get produced again. And comparing it to the lineart, I know that it's really 'impossible' to follow it mainly because of that pelvic/thigh joint part. And that's the main part that makes this valk really awkward. This is where we can say that when this were created back during the show, it focus more on the fighter mode. And just uses lots of anime-magic during transformation. And this is just comparing it to VF-1. The only solution I could think of instead of using that swing bar is to use powerful magnets. I mean that's what Evolution Toys is known for, right?

If the toy is not that good, then I'm just going to pretend that I have my version of DX VF-171 CF that has exploded triangles in which I could just post it in fighter mode forever. Even though the DX is cheaper than the VF-2SS. To each his own I guess. :lol:

Edited by no3ljm

I think they are talking about the modes. The vf-4 feels really solid in fighter mode, so much so that you would be forgiven for thinking it wasn't a transforming toy. I have friends who have looked at it in my collection and been surprised it was fully transformable. The modes on this toy look fragile and sloppy.

Ah if "solid" meant "holds together in its modes well", then yeah I would agree that it is indeed solid.

I thought Mr March meant "durable/robust" when he used the term, so I gave my own opinion on it. Especially considering that he thought it was as solid as the v2 VF-1, which is one of the most durable (if not THE most) of all the 1/60 valks.

@Mr March - regardless of the perceived durability, don't let that stop you from getting the VF-4 rerelease. It's the best representation of the VF-4 that can transform without being a floppy mess.

I really like it and am looking forward to it very much.

(quick reference from previous link photos below...)

--FIGHTER--

vf-2ss_151213.jpg

vf-2ss_151214.jpg

Ok. I know I'm just lifting my spirits here. ;) But I did have a second look on the photos to see how this valk transforms. Looking back on this two photos mainly the area of the swivel bar, I have a feeling that it can push some more towards the chest area. If you look on the last photo, that chest area (under the heat shield cover area) where the swing bar connector rest is kinda hollow. Maybe those connectors can push inside more by the hinges. That is assuming that 'grey' hinge is not 'glued' under the chest area. Saying that it can pushes more then somehow looking the fighter mode on the side is not that awkward anymore. Though looking from the bottom still give you that awkward V-joint view. :lol:

As much I wanted to like this (and I'm a real VF2ss fan), I just can't justify it. Not because of the money, but because I strongly believe that this is a lazy and sub par toy in almost every aspect and I just can't support that.

I get the justifications about the design being complex in the first place, but the combination of all the poor choices made in all the other areas makes me realize that there were no love for this toy in any stage of the production (or the people behind it are amateurs, or they decided to cut costs here and there or both).

First, you can argue the design is too complex to have a really good VF-2ss in all three modes, yet Yamato and Bandai and others managed to come up with clever and surprising solutions to the inherent complexity of each Valk (or any other transforming toy) every time. But lets say there was no way around the swing bars thing or the backpack blocky tabs, or the hump behind the cockpit or the shoulder blocks breaking the lines in Fighter mode. This toy is still at least ten years behind every toy maker's (and many third party guys out there) product at this price point, which means the people that did this didn't even bother to check out what was already out there. This toy looks like would be more at home within the 1/100 league.

And second, what's the excuse for the sculpt being so off? I don't see any reason why Battroid needs to be lanky or why it has to have thin thighs or a fat LERX. Did they at least took a look at the lineart? Did the understand it? Do they know what makes the VF-2ss so cool looking and bad ass? because somehow they managed to strip all that from it.

I totally respect the decision of the people that decided on keeping their preorders, I understand where they're coming from. But seeing the way this toy has been treated I seriously doubt from the ethics of the people behind it and I believe that nothing good will come out of this regardless of how good it sells. The Yamato VF-1 V.1 for instance, was bad, but they were trying their best and you could see that back then. I just don't see that here.

On the subject of durability, how is this VF-2SS toy being perceived? We've already read the criticisms about how it looks or fits together, but does this look like it will be a solid product? I think it might. Plenty of the old toys might have looked a bit clunky, but they fit together rather well. Some of my old Yammies from way back looked similar to the VF-2SS and they stayed together really well in their various modes. This might surprise in the durability and fit departments.

no3ljm
Oh yeah, that's been the prevailing opinion for sure. I just watched a VF-4G video again and the thing just stands so strong in all modes. Looks tight in most of the joints. I'm definitely pre-ordering.

ArchieNov
Ah, I think the words might be the issue. I own an Arcadia VF-1S Valkyrie and it's by far the benchmark for what I consider the "high quality/high end collectible transformable", but I still don't consider it a "play toy". Some may categorize the different Yamato, Bandai and Arcadia toys as such, but I don't think of them that way. So for me, the VF-4G sounded like a truly solid, durable transforming toy, for what is a high quality/high end collectible aimed at an adult market.
And don't worry, one reservation won't turn me off this baby. I've almost positive when i buy it it will be one of my favorites.

ArchieNov

Ah, I think the words might be the issue. I own an Arcadia VF-1S Valkyrie and it's by far the benchmark for what I consider the "high quality/high end collectible transformable", but I still don't consider it a "play toy". Some may categorize the different Yamato, Bandai and Arcadia toys as such, but I don't think of them that way. So for me, the VF-4G sounded like a truly solid, durable transforming toy, for what is a high quality/high end collectible aimed at an adult market.

And don't worry, one reservation won't turn me off this baby. I've almost positive when i buy it it will be one of my favorites.

Other than one of our poor members getting a piece with poor quality diecast which broke on him the VF-4 is especially solid and is one of the most durable to transform back and forth. While the nosecone crotch piece is difficult to attach, it doesn't feel like it will ever break.

For all the floppy-looking underside, the molding itself looks very clean, and the fit in the legs looks quite good.

I dunno, I mean, compared to current offerings from the other main players in Macross merchandise, sure, it's not great.

On the flipside of that, I'd definitely say it's better looking than either the old Yamato 1/72 YF-19 or the first Bandai VF-25, just purely on aesthetics. It's not a bad start for a first attempt at a product.

I still think the fuselage contours are off, and the hump is too big, but I think with some work, the leg mechanism could be covered up nicely. They just need a folding flap that would cover the swing bars and streamline the shoulders. Might not be room for it in battroid though.

The VF-2SS has always been a strange valk.

I am not sure the design really works to allow a great toy.

Reviews of the original Bandai model kit also show it had a lot of challenges dealing with the transformation between three modes through parts swapping.

Never designed to be a toy I guess.

The VF-2SS has always been a strange valk.

I am not sure the design really works to allow a great toy.

Reviews of the original Bandai model kit also show it had a lot of challenges dealing with the transformation between three modes through parts swapping.

Never designed to be a toy I guess.

The same was said of the Yamato 1/72 YF-19 back in the day and look at the toys we have now. Arcadia's even matched the anime magic proportions of the lineart. Granted the VF-2ss is tricky, but I'm sure you can have a decent if not great toy if only you take advantage of all it's been learned over the years.

Edit: spelling.

The VF-2SS doesn't arrange its limbs as tightly as a Kawamori design though. It's a bit like the Legioss in that regard, which has also given companies some trouble in translating it to a toy, even with modern toy techniques.

Also, the looseness of the photographed sample might be due to issues with the test shot. The final toy may have tighter joints.

Other than one of our poor members getting a piece with poor quality diecast which broke on him the VF-4 is especially solid and is one of the most durable to transform back and forth. While the nosecone crotch piece is difficult to attach, it doesn't feel like it will ever break.

Hey man I'm not poor yet, bring on maybe another few Macross series then we can talk :p

I'm over the die-cast problem I had on one of my VF-4G's. It's now stuck in fighter mode and if I ever need spare parts they are there for the taking. Now that there is a reissue coming I can get 2 more and be over it even more :D. All in all though I did not really hear of any bad reports on the VF-4G.

Hey man I'm not poor yet, bring on maybe another few Macross series then we can talk :p

I'm over the die-cast problem I had on one of my VF-4G's. It's now stuck in fighter mode and if I ever need spare parts they are there for the taking. Now that there is a reissue coming I can get 2 more and be over it even more :D. All in all though I did not really hear of any bad reports on the VF-4G.

Well, I just meant unfortunate. It sucks what happened with a legitimate flaw since Yamato was pretty much officially done on release day so you had no recourse.

That being said, it was a legitimate flaw that can occur in diecast (unfortunately) and that was pretty much the only problem we ever heard about.

I feel like this sums up the feeling of many of us, love the vf-2ss, disappointed by the product....

What a piece of crap! totally hate it!! im better off with the Bandai 1/100 kit but im keeping my preorder! :angry:

Edited by yman1437

Given Bandai's stellar work on the VF-19 Advance, I'd really love to see their take on the VF-2SS with SAP.

I'm guessing the gunpod will not mount in fighter mode on the Evolution VF-2SS. Mind you, I always used to think that the VF-2SS should had two gunpods mounted on forearms in fighter mode based on the SAP, not just one on the centerline.

Graham

Given Bandai's stellar work on the VF-19 Advance, I'd really love to see their take on the VF-2SS with SAP.

I'm guessing the gunpod will not mount in fighter mode on the Evolution VF-2SS. Mind you, I always used to think that the VF-2SS should had two gunpods mounted on forearms in fighter mode based on the SAP, not just one on the centerline.

Graham

Hey Graham. Actually, the Gunpod is mounted on the Evolution's VF-2SS. My post from previous page in which I circled where the Gunpod is. Hope that helps. :)

Some things worth noticing...

post-5552-0-18641200-1444801878_thumb.jpg
post-5552-0-66238000-1444801882_thumb.jpg
post-5552-0-78820300-1444801886_thumb.jpg

I'm really curious on how the legs/thigh area works on this one. And how they lock in-between modes. It would be painful if the legs is just relying on the swivel bar. And also notice that on Gerwalk mode, the thigh area (air intakes) sits under the chest area, whereas in the line art it's somehow more on the outside like how the fighter mode looks like. I don't know if that's doable or not since we're not sure how the swivel bar really works on this one. That really piqued my interest to get it more.

Also the backpack somehow breaks into three parts just by studying the pictures. 1) The back area that has the nozzle. 2) The part that has the embossed circle. 3) The flap the covers the head underneath and where you rest the Gunpod during Fighter mode.

I know it's not THE Perfect Valk but I'm still IN for this one. ;)

Here's another one with a different angle:

post-5552-0-27626900-1444967446_thumb.jpg

I have a feeling that this will look PERFECT besides the VF-4G. :wub: :lol: :ph34r:

Edited by no3ljm

I'm still really excited about this one. Not perfect, but to be honest, even the best Macross toys to date take huge liberties with the lineart, and I really don't care. It's recognizable, and looks better than Toynami's efforts. That's all I ask. I'm definitely keeping my pre-order, and I still can't wait. The main 'hero' valk from every Macross made so far, in a semi-consistant scale? I'm happy as a clam.