Evolution Toy - VF-2SS Valkyrie I 《MACROSS II ~LOVERS AGAIN~&#1

joppewo

Hey Guys i need your help what do you think of chances of a Renewal version for this Valkyrie. I've never heard of evolution toys Do they Re-release a lot of toys over the years in past history making small improvements?

It all depends on how the sales of this valk goes I guess. This being a company new into the Macross line, I think that if the sales are good then yes you might see small improvements to the next model. As for renewals it's too early to tell, I say that they won't do a renewal version. Take a look at their product lineup if you're curious http://evolution-toy.com/products/index.html

Confused by the criticism on the business side of things. If there is no interest in a product then why would a company make refinements to it and try again? Especially with a M2 property? Oh they want to make money, how horrible of a business! They are making future business plans around this property if it proves to be profitable, what a bunch of devils! You guys... :rolleyes:

I for one am happy that all we have seen is a non final prototype and are getting news that they are still refining it. We have the ear of a person who is talking to them during the refinement stage, that's awesome! Thanks Tochiro! I am excited that the fighter mode is getting refined as that was a bit weak in my opinion. If they are considering the tabs as well then bonus!

It's less about them needing to make money as a business and more about the fact that we all know M2 is super niche, we've all wanted a VF-2SS and now here's one that isn't great and we're essentially forced to buy it "or else."

Some people say it's expensive, and for a gamble it is a bit higher than I would like. My pre-order at HLJ is roughly $180, which isn't too bad IMO. I wouldn't want to pay Arcadia prices on this as is. But I'd gladly pay $250+ if they fixed the thing and got it as close to the Anime as possible. Right now I have zero faith they will fix this thing in the ways it really needs to be. We've heard these same "it'll be modified" lines from lots of other toy companies before and they've almost always been either flat-out wrong or so minor it doesn't matter.

Edited by Mommar

It all depends on how the sales of this valk goes I guess. This being a company new into the Macross line, I think that if the sales are good then yes you might see small improvements to the next model. As for renewals it's too early to tell, I say that they won't do a renewal version. Take a look at their product lineup if you're curious http://evolution-toy.com/products/index.html

Thank you for the reply, because i remember i bought the first Bandai Macross Frontier ones, then they come with renewals (got burned bad) :( This is my fav Valk from all the series so sleek looking but i don't want to be 6 months later new one is coming lol

I hope they figure out a way to hide that angled die cast leg bars under the fuselage and shoulders, or maybe the one displayed at WonderFest was not transformed correctly.

It's less about them needing to make money as a business and more about the fact that we all know M2 is super niche, we've all wanted a VF-2SS and now here's one that isn't great and we're essentially forced to buy it "or else."

No one is forcing you to buy anything, but that's how business works. Really confused by this line of thinking. They aren't holding a gun to your head or more accurately holding a "better Mac 2 valk" hostage contingent on you being a sap and giving them money for this "inferior one." This is their first effort. If you don't like it, don't buy it. But hopefully you understand how the market works, and if the sales are bad they won't risk more money improving this product line. That's not nefarious, that's not them being jerks, that is how business works and we as consumers should recognize that if you want to see something succeed you need to actually support it with your money. We should also be nuanced enough to figure out that the chances of seeing a product improve is entirely contingent on the company producing it feeling like they can make money by improving it, and making that reality a part of our purchasing decision. They aren't jerks for mentioning this in the interview, they are being honest about their (and everyone everywhere's) business practices.

If you are upset about the situation, then that is perfectly fine. You are right., this is a super niche market, this toy doesn't seem to be at arcadia execution standards and yes if we don't support this we might get or else. As consumers that is something we need to consider: that supporting this product may be the only way it will ever improve. But they didn't create this situation, and getting mad at them is illogical.

I'll reserve judgement for the final product as far as quality of build, it looks really good for a first effort in my opinion and for being super niche I am surprised they were able to come in at the price point they did. I will buy one happily, and I will happily crap all over it if when I get it in hand it is garbage. But I won't regret supporting an idea I wanted to see happen should the worst occur.

No one is forcing you to buy anything, but that's how business works. Really confused by this line of thinking. They aren't holding a gun to your head or more accurately holding a "better Mac 2 valk" hostage contingent on you being a sap and giving them money for this "inferior one." This is their first effort. If you don't like it, don't buy it. But hopefully you understand how the market works, and if the sales are bad they won't risk more money improving this product line. That's not nefarious, that's not them being jerks, that is how business works and we as consumers should recognize that if you want to see something succeed you need to actually support it with your money. We should also be nuanced enough to figure out that the chances of seeing a product improve is entirely contingent on the company producing it feeling like they can make money by improving it, and making that reality a part of our purchasing decision. They aren't jerks for mentioning this in the interview, they are being honest about their (and everyone everywhere's) business practices.

If you are upset about the situation, then that is perfectly fine. You are right., this is a super niche market, this toy doesn't seem to be at arcadia execution standards and yes if we don't support this we might get or else. As consumers that is something we need to consider: that supporting this product may be the only way it will ever improve. But they didn't create this situation, and getting mad at them is illogical.

I'll reserve judgement for the final product as far as quality of build, it looks really good for a first effort in my opinion and for being super niche I am surprised they were able to come in at the price point they did. I will buy one happily, and I will happily crap all over it if when I get it in hand it is garbage. But I won't regret supporting an idea I wanted to see happen should the worst occur.

i picked up one, i might pick up another i picked up my first from Amiami then i realized AE was cheaper, i never ordered from AE does anyone have any feedback on them? Shipping etc...

I'm with Mommar on this. We've been down this road more times than I can count; the product that's WIP and will come out way better than we're all lead to beleive, only it almost never does. Although I will diagree somewhat and say that I beleive it is the "fans" who are painting this situation as an ultimatum, not the company releasing the product. I think the fan passion is good intentioned, but I don't subscribe to that pitch. As I said, I would much rather donate for a version 2.0 rather than purchase something I don't want, but that's not legal :)

Which kinda is at the heart of the matter. In a vacuum and at another time, this VF-2SS toy would have been great. But they have to compete in the current market, with everything that's been released in the last decade in this industry. It's not easy, it's not fair sometimes to a small company, but that's the reality of the market. Maybe, I could buy one and then sell it on auction. That way the primary market is served, the secondary market gets one into the hands of a consumer that wasn't going to buy at retail anyway and it kinda works like a donation :)

It's less about them needing to make money as a business and more about the fact that we all know M2 is super niche, we've all wanted a VF-2SS and now here's one that isn't great and we're essentially forced to buy it "or else don't have a VF-2SS toy"

If I'm reading this the way it was intended, I think that the bolded part was left off but implied. I have to agree with some of what has already been said, it's a marketing thing, they're sticking you with morton's fork (take it or leave it). At this point for a VF-2SS toy, we have only this one option. There are plenty of model kits, sure, but this is the only toy.

Mommar is right, it's a niche market, and it's probably undercapitalized. That said, there's simply too much risk involved versus the amount of reward. Now, they might not see some of the potential reward, because they might just be focusing on the Japan and Asia market, not realizing the broader international market for Macross toys, because of Harmony Gold's deathgrip on distribution rights in the western world.

Also If I'm not mistaken, this is Evolution Toys first foray into Macross, so they might not be that familiar with the Macross market at all (sure they probably did all kinds of market research, but research will only go so far). Given that Macross 2 was one of the very few macross titles to be dubbed in English, I think that if anything, Evolution may have underestimated the market demand for their offering.

Think about it, why do VF-1, YF-19, YF-21, VF-11B, toys sell so well? It's because a larger viewership has seen them, and that means a broader customer base wants them. The variants of those toys, sell well because of familiarity, and because of die hard fans like those of us on this forum.

That's just my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

i think we are all also giving this "small" toy company a little too much "slack" though....this is not a new company. thye've BEEN making toys. most are midrange toys and some are pretty worthwhile. i do think this is their most complex toy to date from a design standpoint.... in today's toy market you have no name brand new small companies from china able to transforming toys that rival (and some say surpass) takara tomy's masterpiece lines. i'm SURE with enough comittment to the project evolution toys...and experienced (somewhat) toy maker should not have THAT much difficulty putting together a good product...that being said i am wishing them good luck as it'd be nice to have mac 2 toys. i threw my hat into the ring...hlj preorder done.

Edited by Mechapilot77

I like the VF-2SS, but I'm just not as hot on it as some. I'm really a fan of the YF-19, as that was the first Macross fighter that really stuck with me. I had seen Macross 2 long before I saw Macross Plus, but plus was the first I went out of my way to see.

Macross Plus was more familiar to me than M2, coming from BattleTech and all, I guess it's Mr. Kawamori's design style that really got me. Still I went back yesterday and watched M2, and it wasn't bad, it had some really great space battles, but it really didn't feel like Macross, more like an imitation of it. The VF-2SS caught my eye a heck of a lot better than that metal siren thing did...

yeah that Bandai 1/100 kit does look a little clumsy doesn't it.. I wonder if it feels the same as their 1/72 VF-1 kit.. like its going to crumble to bits in your hands! At least the booster hinge part is closer to the back piece where it belongs.. also seems to have a good range of posing ability.

Even if the final product from ET isn't that good I'll just switch it to battroid (which in my opinion is its best mode) pose it then never touch it again..

Edited by spanner76

I guess guys to each it's own... I preordered mine for me it looks great! And totally respect who doesn't like the toy.

Whether this is the only one they release or in 2 years you'll have a renewal I am happy of having finally a 1/60 VF2SS! :)

yeah that Bandai 1/100 kit does look a little clumsy doesn't it.. I wonder if it feels the same as their 1/72 VF-1 kit.. like its going to crumble to bits in your hands! At least the booster hinge part is closer to the back piece where it belongs.. also seems to have a good range of posing ability.

Even if the final product from ET isn't that good I'll just switch it to battroid (which in my opinion is its best mode) pose it then never touch it again..

The Bandai kit is not good. First off, the arm armor is too big, and you can never get the arms set high enough to pose in fighter mode on the landing gear. to change between the 3 modes you have to change out a very floppy internal works. They used some type of plastic that's one step of rigidity above the polycap material. I only put it into Battroid for a few photos, then put it permanently into Gerwalk.

The Bandai kit is not good. First off, the arm armor is too big, and you can never get the arms set high enough to pose in fighter mode on the landing gear. to change between the 3 modes you have to change out a very floppy internal works. They used some type of plastic that's one step of rigidity above the polycap material. I only put it into Battroid for a few photos, then put it permanently into Gerwalk.

Funny, that's the mode I keep mine in, too. Which GERWALK version, though - arms in, or arms out?

Funny, that's the mode I keep mine in, too. Which GERWALK version, though - arms in, or arms out?

Arms out. I don't even have the pieces to change it into any other mode now! And I'm fine with that. The super pack is too big in Battroid to fit in my display case, and I've got a 1/72 resin kit for Fighter mode.
post-12411-0-96828600-1414288434_thumb.jpg

I must admit that even with the flaws, I'm excited about this release. I'll be placing my preorder with HLJ soon. I hope it turns out to be a good release and that we get more MacII releases in the future.

Edited by valkyrie312

I preordered one.

If it turns out to be great, then awesome! Another great Macross toy to add to the collection.

If it turns out mediocre and sells poorly... well, I'll at least have a copy of the only mainstream 1/60 transforming Macross II toy ever made. Probably going to be another 20 years before we see another, if ever.

I preordered one.

If it turns out to be great, then awesome! Another great Macross toy to add to the collection.

If it turns out mediocre and sells poorly... well, I'll at least have a copy of the only mainstream 1/60 transforming Macross II toy ever made. Probably going to be another 20 years before we see another, if ever.

Yeah, this was pretty much my logic as well.

I preordered one.

I agree, but did not pre order it. I know this is the only chance I have at getting a 1/60 VF-2ss, but I realy don't like the looks from the pictures. I'll wait for the reviews and decide then. It looks like is not going to be hard to get one after release.

I agree, but did not pre order it. I know this is the only chance I have at getting a 1/60 VF-2ss, but I realy don't like the looks from the pictures. I'll wait for the reviews and decide then. It looks like is not going to be hard to get one after release.

The real question will be after release will the toy stores actually buy surplus models beyond the pre-orders. I am holding on to my pre-order at HLJ and may cancel it before payment request.

• 1 month later...