Evolution Toy - VF-2SS Valkyrie I 《MACROSS II ~LOVERS AGAIN~&#1

joppewo

I think the high prices and QC mistakes are putting a lot of us off.

It seems more like a general disinterest in Macross II, which is unfortunate (it's still one of my favorites) but understandable.

The price really isn't that much different from any of Arcadia's recent comperable offerings, since it's a 1/60 and that's just kind of where prices are right now, but the fact that the company is an unknown makes a lot of sense as a deturrant, plus all of the design nitpicks (although let's be honest, when is any valkyrie by any company not nitpicked to death before it's released anyway? That's what we're known for!)

Personally, I just don't care. Any VF-2SS is better than no VF-2SS IMO, so even if it's a flaming mess of toynami proportions I'll probably still be happy. I'm betting it'll be better than that at this point though. I'm expecting something around the level of any given modern 3rd party transformer, which would not be bad at all.

It is funny to hear about the quality mistakes all yamatos and bandai valks are plagued of these even the new arcadia and their bad tampo in the 0d and are large companies so I consider once again very unjustified the criticism for a product not even has been made

I remember you is still in prototype fase at least we have to wait for the release and early reviews for made a true criticism and by my side Im very happy that a new valk was made and not only another repaint of the same bird

It is funny to hear about the quality mistakes all yamatos and bandai valks are plagued of these even the new arcadia and their bad tampo in the 0d and are large companies so I consider once again very unjustified the criticism for a product not even has been made
I remember you is still in prototype fase at least we have to wait for the release and early reviews for made a true criticism and by my side Im very happy that a new valk was made and not only another repaint of the same bird

Amen to that. As for me, I'm still optimistic about this bird to see the light of day. ;)

I can see this selling out and doubling in value one after release.

Valk completists....you've been warned!

;) :p

That's why I am getting this thing per-ordered as soon as it's available. While I've waited a long time like others for the VF-2SS, I'm also not going to pay a modern day VF-4 price tag for one either! :p

Yeah, surprised me too. I did want a VF-0D for many years, but kinda just lost interest somehow.

Maybe I'll pick one up if they do the standard grey version.

Graham

If they should ever do a Low Vis Grey VF-0D, I think we'll all grab one (You included). It's an amazing bird.

Hope there are pics of a SAP for the 2SS!

I can see this selling out and doubling in value one year or less after release.

Valk completists....you've been warned!

;) :p

Even though this toy has a lot of room for improvement, I have to agree. I think it'll have a low production run from somewhere in the range of 500 to 1000 pieces max, due to a perceived lack of interest. Evolution Toy probably forsaw a very small production run too, hence the high MSRP.

There's only a couple toys I've ever ordered doubles of. This, will be one of them. While I could nitpick at some of the questionable design choices here, I'm not. I know nothing of this company, and the fact that they are taking a chance on this (let's face it, we were all holding out a mighty long time for one of the two big Macross toy lines to do something) says a lot. Plus, the price point isn't as bad, considering it will probably be sold in limited quantity, and may end up being one of those "I can't find this thing anymore" toys that people later on pay through the nose for. I love the design, and the fact that I've been able to get a VF-4, and now possibly a VF-2SS means a lot to me as a fan of those.

I'm not expecting the SAP to be released right away, personally. It seems like the established precident from both Bandai and Yamato/Arcadia (and even Toynami) is to release a naked valk first, and any add on packs afterwards, and I doubt the newcomer is going to shake that up/deviate from that in any way.

It's too expensive.

Exactly. We've been collective macross toys for what? 10-30 years? We've seen a lot of macross toys and we're hard to impress. These people really should have done more homework before asking so much money for such a nasty looking toy. I might have considered it at half the price but not for what they're asking. no frakking way.

Also, I guess what I'm saying is it's dangerous to set a precedent of accepting laziness and mediocrity just because it's a niche mold. We should hold these people to a certain standard.

They put out a kinda crappy looking vf-2ss but everyone hands over ridiculous amounts of money because they're so desperate. What happens next? If they get away with it this time maybe they'll put even less effort into their next release?

Edited by Desty_Nova

It's really not that pricy compared to any other recent Valkyrie at the same scale, though. It's higher than any of the VF-1s, yeah, but those are old molds that have long since been paid for, and Bandai prices are a whole other animal given that Bandai can price lower because they're a huge company. It's significantly cheaper than any recent Non-reissue Arcadia release, and from a smaller company.

Valkyrie prices have gone up, period. They're not going to come back down. That's just how it is. Compared to other recent releases, this is right around the general ballpark I would expect any new Valkyrie made by anybody who wasn't Bandai to cost.

It's really not that pricy compared to any other recent Valkyrie at the same scale, though. It's higher than any of the VF-1s, yeah, but those are old molds that have long since been paid for, and Bandai prices are a whole other animal given that Bandai can price lower because they're a huge company. It's significantly cheaper than any recent Non-reissue Arcadia release, and from a smaller company.

Valkyrie prices have gone up, period. They're not going to come back down. That's just how it is. Compared to other recent releases, this is right around the general ballpark I would expect any new Valkyrie made by anybody who wasn't Bandai to cost.

But it isn't right around the engineering/build quality we'd pay this price for.

I'm very torn about this toy. I understand that the average price of a valk has gone up, and I don't mind paying those prices for toys from companies and brands that I'm familiar with. There's a certain level of quality that I expect from them based on previous toys purchased. Since I've never owned anything from evolution toy nor have had any experience with their offerings, I have nothing to gauge the build quality on. It could be solidly built and a pleasure to transform or a floppy mess from the get go and thus the price and quality is, currently, a non-issue for me. What's really got me torn is the design. I understand making design compromises and tweaks to accommodate one form over another, but this thing looks terrible in all 3 forms. Like the designers just don't see what the rest of us do. The sleek flowing lines in fighter mode are non-existent and It looks anemic in battroid mode (actually, for some reason when I look at the prototype battroid pic , I see a valk in drag).

I have to agree with you there Gunn.. I myself am going to hold off on this one till I see what others think of it hands on.. It does still look a little odd but its still early days and the final version my differ greatly from what we have been allowed to see so far. Not that i have high hopes for this thing but seeing that it is Evo Toys first go at a Valkyrie im not gonna expect the world from them first time round. But in saying that I do hope they do a good job with it and make a solid pleasant toy rather than a slap together pile of junk in order to claim their piece of the market. Only time will tell I guess eh..

Edited by spanner76

My view........it's the first (and probably last) ever fricken transforming VF-2SS toy we'll get. As long as it locks together reasonably well in fighter and battroid mode, looks approximately like how it does in the anime (if I squint), then I'm sold. Evolution toys can shut up and take all my money.

I've wanted this for so long.

As long as it's not a total froppy mess, I'm way past the stage of nit picking.

My view........it's the first (and probably last) ever fricken transforming VF-2SS toy we'll get. As long as it locks together reasonably well in fighter and battroid mode, looks approximately like how it does in the anime (if I squint), then I'm sold. Evolution toys can shut up and take all my money.

I've wanted this so long.

As long as it's not a total froppy mess, I'm way past the stage of nit picking.

Well said!

I agree with Graham. I will be in for one. If it is solid maybe a whole squad.

However there should be an option for the SAP packs in the future (even better packed in a bundle from the start). The SAP pack has so many play options that I can deal with small inconstancies.

Tokyo Toy Show is this week so we see hopefully more pictures of the Valkyrie. However I would appreciate if it doesn't get released in August because there is the VF-0A in stores at the same time. So any delay is welcome. ^_^

Here's what I'm thinking. I don't want this to be another case of that recent released Megahouse Orguss. Some of the members doesn't want to buy it because of the price. And I was holding back too on another set. Coz I was hoping to buy two of them. But when I got the figure, I'm so happy that it's all good. Didn't expect to be great coming from Megahouse due to their early releases of transforming toys. But this one is a superb release. After that, I tried to find another one, hoping that it will have the same SRP price, but some shops is asking me more than that. The rest is already in YJA. And I don't want to pay more. I just rather wait if ever there's going to be an Olson one. If not, I'm just happy to have one. :rolleyes:

Hopefully, this release will not be the same case. Coz we're just basing everything from the photos released by Evolution Toys. I'm guessing only a handful of people will buy this toy. And later, if we find out that the figure is great from reviews, let's just hope that it will still be affordable afterwards. :)

They stated an Autumn release for the toy, so this late in the game I doubt we'll see many improvements on what has been shown thus far. I'm at odds with this toy because I detest Mac II and have never been overly fond of the design of this fighter. But I do care enough about it, that if someone where to make a decent toy of the 2SS I would like to add it to my collection. If I purchased one, I would leave it in fighter mode as I believe its best mode of Evolutions pictures.

Edited by Golden Arms

Took me a while to get this posted, but we have all the goss on Evolution Toys right here :-)

http://www.macrossworld.com/speakerpodcast-ep-24-we-dont-need-no-landing-gear/

Finally, I finished listening to the podcast. And it's interesting to hear different opinions on this specific toy release. I know I have to watch out for certain things esp coming from an 'unknown' company to transforming toys. But I can't stop thinking that nobody will take a stab on this franchise besides them. Unless, this toy will sell out then the big two might see that it's 'bankable' to produce their own. Anyways, I'm still decided on getting atleast one. And hoping that it will still come with SAP. If not, then I will just keep my naked valk as is and shake my head off. :rolleyes:

To it's credit, when it was made Macross II was incredibly ambitious, and there's no way we'd have any other macross sequels without it. It's not a perfect series, but it's an important one!

Yeah, I love Valks that look like real planes too, but man, the VF-2SS reminds me of every mid 80s top-down sci-fi scrolling shooter, and I cannot even begin to imagine how many quarters I've wasted on those. I can't help but be rediculously fond of it.

Too bad that the actual MacII 2D shooting game that they made for the arcades was so frustrating.

Anyway, hopefully we should have more info on this toy at this event in Hong Kong:

(Graham, you're our man!! ;) )

post-1318-0-27692200-1434466689_thumb.jpg

Edited by Renato