M+ Drone Fighter 3D Printing Project Request

charger69

Sounds good Jason! For the ones that are coming pre-assembled & painted, does that mean the orange ones will still be given a coat of paint or will they be colored directly from the mold?

If they come out clean enough, they will be coated with a good clear primer and clear coat. It really depends on the result of clean up. If I need to do extra work on the clean up, I'll probably do a full paint on them with color, and the kite decals. Either way, they're going to get a paint treatment treatment. Whatever the best result is, that's what it will be.

OK. As you can see in this picture, there are places where the parts aren't getting enough resin. These are going to be fixed via pin holes in the mold cover, which will push the air out by the heavier resin.the color in this picture is a little lighter than they really are.

post-582-0-61786900-1444364175_thumb.jpg

These are the 1/72 scale parts, so these are getting worked on, and soon will be sorted out for delivery, At the same time, 1/60 kits are going to be worked on, but obviously at a slower pace, as most preferred them painted.

Could you post up some pics of some finished quality pieces for the guys who have paid in full? I'm interested to see what you'll be sending out. Honestly, I don't know your work yet (I've never bought anything from you)and I was a little scared away by the last pics you posted. I hope you don't get offended by my request; I just need a little proof?

I'll get some up tonight. I have 4 molds ready, so the pieces I put up will be good to go, but a little unrefined until I get some like cleanup done. It's too hot today, so I tried to pour some resin, and it set a bit too fast. I'm gonna put some in the tank tonight when it cools off, as well as tomorrow, as I continue to tweak the molds to get no air pockets.

oh I see.. well then we don't want any mold damage I guess eh!

Definitely not, LOL

Here are a few shots of good recasts. They're Pretty good for the complexity in them, but like any kit, they're gonna need work by the builder. Good thing is, the resin is quite solid. I'm happy about that. testing out some other parts now. I'll need to do th 1:72 wing AGAIN!!! Going to do to that what I did with the 1/60, as that seemed to work. In the meantime, I'm moving onto tweaking the 1:60 molds and checking for places where air bubbles will get trapped.

post-582-0-63766600-1444700640_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonc

Thanks guys. Parts are coming out. I'm going to start on the 1/60 test run today. Knowing what I learned from the 1/72 parts, I'm automatically going to put air ports in the same places. Hopefully the next two days will come up with some great results. I will not be doing any recasting this weekend due to MW con. However, I hope to have the decals up soon as well. Working on those. With the size of the kit, they won't have very many decals, but for those that want to put them where they can, I'll probably add some no step decals, and some standard extras for the sake of adding some value to them. Maybe if you don't need any extras, they'll be there for something else. ;)

Work began again today, and I'm working on the molds for the 1/60. So far, only did one intake and the tail fin section, an where I anticipated bubbles was fixed, and they came out perfect. Very happy so far. Going to try the other side of the intake, and the small pieces to see how they fair.

Thanks for the update Jason! sounds very promising! Don't forget to show us pics of the 1/60 bits! :D

They're coming. I'm leaving the other parts in the tank over night, so I'll have some tomorrow.

Ok, here's some of the 1/60 scale. The parts are looking great, but the wing is going to need a bit of cleanup. At least it's mostly relegated to the sides of the wing.hope it looks alright for you all.

post-582-0-31777900-1445399664_thumb.jpg

Could those areas missing some resin be filled with putty yeah?

I think so or the original resin could also be used so it would end seamless.

Anyway I am satisfied with what I see, looking back at how difficult this wing is to be casted.

Ultimately, the lesson is now learnt, for the X-9 I am going with more parts, more complex designs in order to obtain a straight forward recasting process.

Edited by Xigfrid

I think so or the original resin could also be used so it would end seamless.

Anyway I am satisfied with what I see, looking back at how difficult this wing is to be casted.

Ultimately, the lesson is now learnt, for the X-9 I am going with more parts, more complex designs in order to obtain a straight forward recasting process.

all good, no complaints. casts look great! looking forward to the next stage!

They look nice! The wing is really nice and smooth but there are a few bits of resin missing on this wing though

Yes, there are a couple small bubble areas. It's going to happen in some pieces in some parts. Especially the large area parts like this. If I get them again in the same place, I'm gonna put another hole in the top of the resin to relieve, but I don't think it'd help. They've been a bit random on where they pop up. I'm trying to roll the resin to coat all the mold. I made another one, but there was one hole in that one. As I said, they're going to pop up.

Could those areas missing some resin be filled with putty yeah?

Exactly. I the early days of recasting, I used to get many kits that I'd buy, and they'd be full of parts with bubbles and would need filling. It can be filled with putty. I'm not going to stop trying to perfect them, but these are pretty easy fixes. The wing I did today has a better look, so I'm happy with that one.

Yes, there are a couple small bubble areas. It's going to happen in some pieces in some parts. Especially the large area parts like this. If I get them again in the same place, I'm gonna put another hole in the top of the resin to relieve, but I don't think it'd help. They've been a bit random on where they pop up. I'm trying to roll the resin to coat all the mold. I made another one, but there was one hole in that one. As I said, they're going to pop up.

Exactly. I the early days of recasting, I used to get many kits that I'd buy, and they'd be full of parts with bubbles and would need filling. It can be filled with putty. I'm not going to stop trying to perfect them, but these are pretty easy fixes. The wing I did today has a better look, so I'm happy with that one.

We all trust you and your abilities! :D

Oh can you tell me what the total length of the drone will be?

I measured it from tip to nose: 18,50 cm. As this measure is actually a diagonal, the drone is a little shorter.

that's excellent thanks Xigfrid! Its quite a large thing isn't it! This thing is gonna look mega on display!

Just wanted a rough idea of its size so I can plan some space..

I measured it from tip to nose: 18,50 cm. As this measure is actually a diagonal, the drone is a little shorter.

I was gonna ask to post the pic of the drone on the yetistand but you already have it in the Isamu bike thread.

Sorry for the delays. I've begun work on recasting the 1/72 drones. I did have to redo 2 of the molds, but they are working great now. The wing will start recasting tomorrow once I put the fixes on that. I did manage to get a trial size of the onyx resin, which cures in a nice black color, so the camera part will not need to be painted, save for details. 1/60 parts are starting as well, but since I do need to paint just about every one of these, it's going to be awhile with those. So far, the results are good.