M+ Drone Fighter 3D Printing Project Request

charger69

Oh! I didn't realize you had filled the 20 spots for the 1/72. Ok, I will wait for Jason to greenlight the molds for further use before committing $. I don't want to spend $85 on a sloppy second burnout cast. Been there, done that! :)

Thanks for the reply Xigfrid!!!

So I believe the saying is.. no news is good news right!? hehe! Im kidding dude! seriously no pressure.. noooooooooooo presssssssuuuuuuurrrrrrreeeeee.... :p:D:lol:

56790844.jpg

I just poured the resin into the new mold, so I will find out in about an hour how well this came out. I haven't used the new print that Xigfrid mentioned, due to the original being salvageable, and not wanting to take a couple days just to clean up one piece. That said, the mold I did with the longer setting mold did look great. If the recast test comes out workable, we're in business.

OK, looks like it can work. The first trial was good. A few pieces didn't get all the resin, but that can be fixed with rotating the mold and giving it time to fill all the spots. I'll be doing more with it to ensure it is good to go. At the same time, the rest of the 1/72 molds are gonna take a little longer due to the fact that the rubber left is a longer setting mold (4 hours per mold. I should be able to do two pieces at a time). Work carries on, and pieces will be coming soon.

OK, looks like it can work. The first trial was good. A few pieces didn't get all the resin, but that can be fixed with rotating the mold and giving it time to fill all the spots. I'll be doing more with it to ensure it is good to go. At the same time, the rest of the 1/72 molds are gonna take a little longer due to the fact that the rubber left is a longer setting mold (4 hours per mold. I should be able to do two pieces at a time). Work carries on, and pieces will be coming soon.

Oh wow, That is pretty quick for rubber. I've only ever used the 24 hour stuff from smooth on. Too afraid to try anything else! :)

I am looking forward to seeing how these turn out. I didn't realize how big they were until I read the whole thread more seriously a second time. These will be a great value once casted, I can't wait to have one next to the Hasegawa YF's from M0.

Cheers guys!

Hey Jason! Thanks for the progress updates! You should post up more pics! It all sounds so interesting! B))

I really should be, but I keep forgetting to get the camera out and snap shots. I'm waiting on Harbor Freight to get back to me as well. My pressure tank has a stripped clamp on it, so it's not holding any air pressure. I can still recast, but I have to be very careful in pouring the resin as to not create any bubbles. I'm hoping to get this fixed by next week sometime. Until then, I'll try to get some picks of the molds and the progress, especially once the pieces start coming out.

sucks about your pressure tank issue.. -_- hope you can it sorted out.

definitely looking forward to some photos! ^_^

keep up the good! B))

Easy fix, buy a damn new one. What a pain. I have to take all the hardware that makes this work as a pressure tank, and use the plumbing tape, and redo a new one. No worries though. It won't stop the progress, I have a few pieces of 1/72, including the wing that needs to be done, so I can create molds while working on the new one. The rubber sets so slow, that it effectively gives me a chance to pour it with no bubbles in it. Also started color matching, so I think I'll be saving about 1 cup of parts A and B for what will be black color (or as close to it) and the other half for the non painted.

I bought the 2.5 gallon tank for conversion to the pressure casting tank. It was a big pain to disassemble my version and took a lot of grunting and swearing to remove some of the fittings. I can see where you don't want to buy another. Mine does a pretty decent job but I have seen MUCH bigger setups with castor wheels that I want to try for bigger molds. Haven't done anything crazy with mine yet, just one piece molds and simple split molds. I am looking forward to seeing some photos of your progress, I just sent Xigfrid the cheddar for my copy. :)

Here's what's going on with the molds. These aren't all of them, just the few that are readily available (not in the garage). I have two that are half way done (3 including the 1/72 wing shown, and so I'm about done with them all. Sorry for the bad picture.

In other news regarding this, for those that ordered the 1/72 scale, what do you all think about getting the parts in the orange color? The reason I ask, is that at this point, there are two pieces I have little resin for to cast in a black/dark grey, and while I have plenty of resin, I'm not really wanting to split up the resin and try to figure out how much to separate for each scale. If the majority of you absolutely need it in white, I'll make the arrangements, but it'd make it much easier for me. In any case, let me know here. Thanks.

post-582-0-51979900-1443149821_thumb.jpg

In other news regarding this, for those that ordered the 1/72 scale, what do you all think about getting the parts in the orange color? The reason I ask, is that at this point, there are two pieces I have little resin for to cast in a black/dark grey, and while I have plenty of resin, I'm not really wanting to split up the resin and try to figure out how much to separate for each scale. If the majority of you absolutely need it in white, I'll make the arrangements, but it'd make it much easier for me. In any case, let me know here. Thanks.

Any color is fine by me, since I'm going to be priming and painting anyways.

Any color is fine by me, since I'm going to be priming and painting anyways.

^What he said. I will be painting mine also, but I appreciate the option to have an opinion. Attempting to cast it in like colours is still a nice thought and lends a sense of cool to the project.

Update time!!! I have two more molds to make before I'm done with the molds in both scales. Sorry for the delays, but the wings have been the biggest obstacle for doing all of these, and having to have a tank go down, and need extra rubber has been a bit of a delay. Other than that, I will be doing one tonight, doing the second part of one as well, then doing the last one tomorrow. After that, I go into pouring and getting these out. I have resin in the orange, some saved for dark grey/black, and clear. Decals need to be printed, so I'm waiting on ink to come to replenish the printer, but that is this weekend. I have everyone's info, so I will hopefully be taking pictures of parts this weekend. Fingers crossed it all goes smooth.

In all of this, I can expect that once the recasting process goes, the ones to be painted are going to take a bit more time. I'll need to clean up parts (sanding, putty, etc.) as well as assemble key parts. Decals will not be placed, save for the major ones. All that, while sounding like a quick job, really isn't. I have a lot of them to do in 1/60, so I will be sending them out in order of payment sent in, which I will verify with Xigfrid.

Aside from all that, all the material to send them out is in, so once done, I'll be packaging and sending them out the day after (barring nothing of major importance and all that). If you have any questions or concerns regarding an order, you can contact Xigfrid or myself through pm.

All molds are done. I'll be testing them (recasting now). So, any that aren't working right will be redone. The good thing, is that many of the molds look great and should have no problems at all (fingers crossed again).

I can't wait either, but take your time Jason and make sure they are perfect :D

That's the idea. It rained today, so couldn't do any recasts to check. I will do some tomorrow, weather permitting. No, I don't do these outside, but the temperature and wet climate, at least in my opinion, makes the resin not set so good. I'll run a set through as long as I have light tomorrow though, pics good or bad.

Testing continues. There are some that have some air traps in them, and so I am now putting smaller vent holes for the air to escape from those areas. Orange color is pretty decent and think it should be a good orange. I may put a bit more red in it. I have a few pieces in the tank now, and will take pictures after my errands tonight.