M+ Drone Fighter 3D Printing Project Request

charger69

Quick update... I'm almost done with the 1/60 drone, and the 1/72 is right behind it. Luckily I got faster curing rubber, or I'd still be midway through the first kit. I will begin color matching the resin very soon for the 1/60 and 1/72 scale parts. I have the decals ready for print, but haven't actually done that yet, as I need new ink. Those will be done this week though. Stay tuned.

ohhh! its getting closer and closer! exciting stuff! thanks for the update Jc!

No problem. As of today, the 1/60 molds are done. have to do some work on them to finish them up, but I'll be testing those out shortly.

I did the giant wing last, and just on the design and angle of the wings, I'm a bit worried that these are not going to come out of the mold too well. I will definitely see what results I get, but if it doesn't work well, I'm gonna have to figure this out. Don't worry guys. Don't hit any panic buttons. Where there's a will there's a way. Work on the 1/72 starts tomorrow.

I did the giant wing last, and just on the design and angle of the wings, I'm a bit worried that these are not going to come out of the mold too well. I will definitely see what results I get, but if it doesn't work well, I'm gonna have to figure this out. Don't worry guys. Don't hit any panic buttons. Where there's a will there's a way. Work on the 1/72 starts tomorrow.

hehe! its all good! we trust you entirely! so yeah no pressure! ;):lol:

Thanks guys. I'm going to attempt a pour tonight and see how that turns out once it's fully cured. If it pops out OK, then no issues and I can proceed. If it breaks, I'm gonna have to rethink the mold, or maybe discuss redoing the part. Either way, I'm going to do this with some mold release in those areas with the pressure that will be caused during the release, and hopefully that will ease them coming out.

Going for it. I just made a nice gaping hole in the wing mold to pour the resin to make sure it all gets in there, so tomorrow is judgement day. I'm using a pretty solid resin too, with a little flexibility in it, so we'll see. It's good stuff. If all works well, I can start on those while continuing the molds for the 1/72.

OK, there's good news and bad news (mostly good). So, the good news is, the plastic, when it cures, is flexible enough to where it will withstand bending the angled wings out of the mold. The bad news is, the mold was cut in the wrong area, and will need to be redone. That said, there is a bonus to that bad news. I think there is a much better, safer way to create this mold without having to even worry about pulling the angles wings out, and that is by creating a mold that creates a cover of just the inside top. It will require a new mold, and a bit of fiddling to get the resin in the crevices, but it should work. I will be starting build up of it tonight. Again, sorry for the delay. This will probably need to be done on the 1/72 as well with that wing section.

Hey Jasonc, I am glad you found a better way to do it.

Me too. It's still a bit of a risk if it'll work, but it looks like it should work. Off to sleep. I'll try to get some done tomorrow. Have a wedding to attend.

ewww.. weddings.. I couldn't think of anything worse to attend! :rolleyes::p:D

Well, technically, it was just the reception. They got married earlier in the day, then had an open house reception, which was fun. That said, still working on the foundation of this mold. I gotta make sure it's going to be strong enough, and make sure it'll fit in my small pressure tank. I don't have a degas machine, so I have to get rid of the bubbles after mixing. One day, I'll build one.

Cool! I sorta kinda figured it'd be along those lines.. And how would the degas machine work?

It works like a vacuum. You put your liquid resin, rubber, etc. into a chamber with a vacuum attached to it, and seal it. Once it's on, it sucks the air out of the liquids, leaving them just about bubble free. I have used the slow pour method, but with larger volumes of rubber, and a shorter cure time, the tank works great.

On another note, my method would work, if the freakin' wall I had set it all in didn't break after I poured the rubber. It through the entre piece off alignment, and now I'm at a point where I need another gallon of rubber. Good news is, the method, had not been for that bit of unfortunate happenstance, would've been great, so I will do it again when I can get more. I'm going to continue the 1/72 molds with what little I have left of the rubber, and hopefully, pour some pieces once I get the colors right for the resin. Work will continue, just not for that large wing part yet.

so kinda like a vacuum brake bleeder then!? sounds interesting! but im glad you're doing all the work and not me! hehe! :p

Yeah, it's definitely work. I'm going to get a longer setting rubber next time I'm out, as it will be better for the larger pieces. I do that on Monday hopefully, so I can redo the wing. I'm all out of rubber now, so I have to halt things for a few days. Luckily, I'm on vacation all next week, so I'll have time to push forward. In the meantime, the wing is being worked on, so that it's ready and durable for the next recast try.