So for those of you who live in the UK, Star Trek: The Next Generation is finally back on air on the new CBS Action channel. I have finally picked off from season 2 which was airing when Sky Three, the former British broadcaster went defunct, way back in in the late 2000s if I remember correctly.

I've recently gone through seasons 1-6 on blu-ray. It's been great to revisit the show, which was ground breaking for it's time. The acting holds up very well and many of the stories are just as engaging now as they were back then. In fact, some of the stories are sadly very prescient and folks would de well to learn from them. But I must say, I am very glad that TV has come a long way since this show. Some of the material really shows it's age.

I have no idea if it's still on TV in the US anywhere, because I don't have cable.

I do have Netflix and Amazon Prime Instant Video. All the seasons of all the Star Trek are on both, last I checked.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i watch star trek when i get bored. Q is pretty entertaining. the hd remasters with the redone effects look amazing. glad amazon has them on prime. (waiting for season 7) i'd buy the bluray seasons just to own if they weren't so expensive.

I've recently gone through seasons 1-6 on blu-ray. It's been great to revisit the show, which was ground breaking for it's time. The acting holds up very well and many of the stories are just as engaging now as they were back then. In fact, some of the stories are sadly very prescient and folks would de well to learn from them. But I must say, I am very glad that TV has come a long way since this show. Some of the material really shows it's age.

Funnily enough I have enjoyed the series more in my 30's and 40's than what I did in my teen's and 20's. Guess I fall more into the target audience age now and know that it's not all about the "pew pew".

The character interactions and development on the show was really good and stands up well. The first few seasons were clunky of course but only in that era could a show plod along for a few seasons without getting quickly axed. (How many potentially good shows have been axed in recent times because they haven't been given the chance to "develop"?)

It had pretty high production values which I think is what saves it from being forgotten and second-rate.

TNG airs here Stateside on BBC America during the daytime. Usually there will be a good 4-5 episodes a day. Depending on the day you're either getting Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares or ST:TNG for the majority of the daytime hours.

ST:TNG is running on Super Drama TV in Japan (gotta love that cable station name). But alas, it's at an unfriendly time slot (for me). Not to mention that I just spent the last year crawling through all 7 seasons (original version).

I really like the remastering of the live action footage that they're doing for it - some of it looks incredible now.

Taksraven - I think one of the reasons why it didn't get axed was because it was released direct to syndication. There was no one channel that had the ability to quickly axe it, and Paramount was very positive about new ST TV episodes until the early 2000's, as well.

They revised the effects? I thought they only did that for TOS?

Most of the original visual effects for Next Gen were done directly in video, so they had to redo them to make a BluRay release. There simply wasn't a way to get a high-res copy with effects.

Unlike the original Trek reworking, the Next Gen effects look very similar to the originals, just higher-resolution.

Fun trivia: For a long time, they were saying they wouldn't do Next Gen BluRays because of that. They thought the cost of redoing all the effects was going to be too steep.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Most of the original visual effects for Next Gen were done directly in video, so they had to redo them to make a BluRay release. There simply wasn't a way to get a high-res copy with effects.

Unlike the original Trek reworking, the Next Gen effects look very similar to the originals, just higher-resolution.

Fun trivia: For a long time, they were saying they wouldn't do Next Gen BluRays because of that. They thought the cost of redoing all the effects was going to be too steep.

i wished they did this for the dated cg of babylon5

Screw Babylon Five, I wish they did it for Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future.

I grant there is no way they would've made their money back on the effort, but I still wish they did it.

Babylon 5 totally deserves an HD master, easily the best sci-fi series of the 90's.

Funnily enough I have enjoyed the series more in my 30's and 40's than what I did in my teen's and 20's. Guess I fall more into the target audience age now and know that it's not all about the "pew pew".

The character interactions and development on the show was really good and stands up well. The first few seasons were clunky of course but only in that era could a show plod along for a few seasons without getting quickly axed. (How many potentially good shows have been axed in recent times because they haven't been given the chance to "develop"?)

It had pretty high production values which I think is what saves it from being forgotten and second-rate.

I thank material like Macross for developing in my young child self a taste for drama and narrative early. In my teens I was already understanding how drama could be far more explosive than even the best action films. So I watched and enoyed Trek, but the instense, overbearing Trek fandom wore the show thin. Actually, it's not much different than today. Back then many demanded Trek be the ONLY sci-fi show and you MUST enjoy it. Now, Trek is gone but that mentality has shifted to the internet, where cultish folks try enforcing consensus for everything from movies to video games to wikipedia. Metacritic is the new fundamentalist fandom :)

The first season of Star Trek The Next Generation is downright awful. I found only one or two episodes even tolerable. The latter parts of second season is when the show hit it's stride and much of the dated storytelling was dropped in favor of far more sophisticated tales. I think it's important to remember, Star Trek was produced not only in a era where shows were allowed longer to find an audience but Trek also had cultural power behind it. Folks were really into space exploration and embraced the idea of life beyond our world, both our own and perhaps even alien. That's why it endured to reach it's potential.

I certainly wouldn't worry about modern TV shows not having a chance; we're currently in a second golden age of TV. There are innumerable shows that would have NEVER seen production in the 1980s and 1990s eras of broadcast television. "Game of Thrones" would have been laughed out of every TV station in 1980s and 1990s America. "Breaking Bad" would have been a single X-Files episode at best. "Community" would have been remembered only as a dark joke in Dan Harmon's suicide note. Whatever slower shows may be lost in the faster digital landscape of today we've more than made up for with shows that never would have seen the light of day 20 years ago.

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra.

Make it go.

That episode had my friend point out that although in the 24th century most forms of prejudice were dealt with it appears that TV writers in the 20th were still quite capable of making sure the stupid, vicious, and ugly aliens were also fat.

I'm definitely gonna have to check that out...

Guest davidwhangchoi

That episode had my friend point out that although in the 24th century most forms of prejudice were dealt with it appears that TV writers in the 20th were still quite capable of making sure the stupid, vicious, and ugly aliens were also fat.

:lol::lol: We don't need Feministists, we need Alienists = Alien Equal Rights.

"For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you had never considered. THAT is the exploration that awaits you. Not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence."

"There was once a young lady from Venus,

Who had a body shaped like a-"

"Thank you Commander, that will do!"

"What do I have to do to convince you people I'm mortal?!"

"Die."

“You can’t outrun them, you can’t destroy them.

If you damage them, the essence of what they are remains.

They regenerate and keep coming.

Eventually, you will weaken - your reserves will be gone.

They are relentless.”

Edited by lechuck

^^No wonder Worf became such a surly bastard!

Either that, or the Enterprise replicators couldn't make a good cup of raktajino.

Poor guy was still getting punked, even in the movies:

Yep, but on DS9, he gets some really, really good screen time. Fights the Dominion, marries Jadzia Dax, nails Ezri Dax, commands the Defiant, kills Gowron and briefly becomes Chancellor, then Federation Ambassador to the Empire, and sings Klingon opera. Oh yes, Sisko and the others occasionally LISTEN to him.

And let's not forget, also has a thing with Troi. So, yes, Worf gets disrespect. But there are compensations.

Yep, but on DS9, he gets some really, really good screen time. Fights the Dominion, marries Jadzia Dax, nails Ezri Dax, commands the Defiant, kills Gowron and briefly becomes Chancellor, then Federation Ambassador to the Empire, and sings Klingon opera. Oh yes, Sisko and the others occasionally LISTEN to him.

And let's not forget, also has a thing with Troi. So, yes, Worf gets disrespect. But there are compensations.

Getting to bury his bat'leth into Marina Sirtis and Terry Farrell is all of the compensation a man would ever need...