Oldtime shipping wars? (pre-Frontier)

Saruta

There is apparently some animation n the movie that isn't in the OVA, which bugs me, because Now I have to get the movie version, which I'm pretty sure is only in Japanese...

Yes, it includes some new animation as well as a bit of new music. Why would having new content bug you? More Macross plus is only a good thing \(^o^)/

The movie was never dubbed, but the JPN bluray boxset includes the movie with English subs.

And it looks GORGEOUS (((o(*゚▽゚*)o)))

Better, even, than modern Isamu looks, lol.

post-9325-0-14423600-1426474871_thumb.jpg

Then again, if you want every bit of animation that is related to Macross Plus, you'll need to get Wings of Farewell too (^_-)

Tochiro: where is the modern Isamu look from? I thought Wings of Farewell only had his Valkyrie animated?

Edited by Saruta

That's from Macross 30.

I wonder what version of Isamu one gets in Macross 30. The modern-day (as of 2060) seasoned SMS pilot, or the young soldier yanked from the 2040s? (EDIT: young one apparently - so that means two versions of Isamu are alive for some time in 2060?)

I also really really want to know the story of Sharon Apple in Macross 30 - sadly the one thing skipped in the podcast. Someone please spoil :) as I don't have an intention of getting a PS3 ever.

Edited by Saruta

God I wish I were fluent and literate in Japanese, my life would be so much easier... Well, second semester elementary Japanese and intermediate Japanese 1&2 are available to satisfy my Gen ed req's... Making it that much easier to get a Job with BanDai or Arcadia in their Macross divisions... (I am studying to be a Mechanical Engineer, I wonder how those companies feel about hiring foreign workers...). Before anyone goes mentioning it, I realize that 60 hour work weeks are commonplace, but I'd probably spend half my free time here in the states designing toys, so might as well get paid to do it...

Well, only a few here are fluent and literate in japanese.

Majority of us just watched TV, DYRL, Plus, Zero, and even II so many frickin' times in so many years with either or both official english-subs and fansubs that most of us have it as second-nature and don't even bother turning on the subtitles when re-re-re-re-(infinity)-watching these series again and again and again and again...

Except for M7 and Frontier, of course.

M7, coz majority here prolly still watched the old hk-engrish subs.

Frontier, coz it's just so boring and pedestrian coz of the Sheryl/Ranka thingamajig...

So what you're saying is that the OVA should have been 1-2 episodes longer and included everything... And been released in english to satisfy people like me, who don't always want to read their dialogue...

I think the OVA has problems. I'm still trying to figure out how Guld intended to frame Isamu for attempted murder by loading live ammo into the YF-21's gun and then shooting Isamu with it. The fight is awesome, but makes no narrative sense.

I think the OVA has problems. I'm still trying to figure out how Guld intended to frame Isamu for attempted murder by loading live ammo into the YF-21's gun and then shooting Isamu with it. The fight is awesome, but makes no narrative sense.

If I'm not mistaken, he loaded the live ammo into the YF-19's gun, and shot isamu with it. Thus establishing that since Isamu had the live ammo, he must have been intending to kill Guld. That's the way I remember it. That's also the way the whole thing makes narrative sense...

Also, am I the only one who thinks the M7 Valks paint schemes are gaudy? Why are the Blue Angels flying around in combat, why can't my beloved VF-19's be two tone Fighter Grey like normal airplanes, with the leader having the full up colors (US Navy does that, the Commander of the Air Group's fighter has full color markings). The markings on the VF's are also really stark. Why not continue from SDFM? Modex numbers, squadron markings, the whole bit.

Also, am I the only one who thinks the M7 Valks paint schemes are gaudy? Why are the Blue Angels flying around in combat, why can't my beloved VF-19's be two tone Fighter Grey like normal airplanes, with the leader having the full up colors (US Navy does that, the Commander of the Air Group's fighter has full color markings). The markings on the VF's are also really stark. Why not continue from SDFM? Modex numbers, squadron markings, the whole bit.

No, it's been mentioned many times before. While it's true the Macross 7 mecha are the most "clown-colored" of the Macross shows, the M7 series did feature more realistic schemes like the black-colored VF-17 Nightmare. I actually like the blue and silver VF-19F Excalibur. If nothing else, the ridiculously garish colors suited the silly subject matter of the M7 series. And on a personal note, they are fun to color :)

No, it's been mentioned many times before. While it's true the Macross 7 mecha are the most "clown-colored" of the Macross shows, the M7 series did feature more realistic schemes like the black-colored VF-17 Nightmare. I actually like the blue and silver VF-19F Excalibur. If nothing else, the ridiculously garish colors suited the silly subject matter of the M7 series. And on a personal note, they are fun to color :)

I suppose. How do you color them, I'm curious, because I'd like to try my hand at doing some recolors...

God I wish I were fluent and literate in Japanese, my life would be so much easier... Well, second semester elementary Japanese and intermediate Japanese 1&2 are available to satisfy my Gen ed req's... Making it that much easier to get a Job with BanDai or Arcadia in their Macross divisions... (I am studying to be a Mechanical Engineer, I wonder how those companies feel about hiring foreign workers...). Before anyone goes mentioning it, I realize that 60 hour work weeks are commonplace, but I'd probably spend half my free time here in the states designing toys, so might as well get paid to do it...

I'd recommend "accidtendally" showing them a picture you you SURROUNDED by every one of their Valks. It might up the cred?

I suppose. How do you color them, I'm curious, because I'd like to try my hand at doing some recolors...

Don't get me wrong, I agree most of the M7 mecha colors are lousy. I just wanted to promote the good stuff :)

The process for coloring Macross line art is two-parts:

• I scan art from various books using XnView in very high resolutions (typically 2,400 - 3,200 DPI)
  • Once art is scanned, I load it into Photoshop CS 5 where I clean the scan, build a color .PSD file and work until finished

I use the "multiply" feature on the top layer (the actual line art). I then build color layers underneath that top line art layer. The "multiply" feature allows all the color layers to be seen underneath without disturbing the drawn artwork. SInce all the colors are on separate layers, it's easy to change one color layer without disturbing other color layers.

In the next update to my website, there's going to be a lot of improved artwork in a style similar to the following picture of the VF-19F Battroid:

post-114-0-65589900-1426619300_thumb.gif

I wonder if the next Macross series will have a shipping war that's in any way comparable to the torrid state of affairs that Frontier brought about.

I think the creators will want to provoke one because they bring attention and money. Whether the provocation will be successful is another question.

I'd recommend "accidtendally" showing them a picture you you SURROUNDED by every one of their Valks. It might up the cred?

Sadly, I don't have that, since they didn't make the ones I really liked (I have a V1 DX VF-25, a Renewal of the same, and a VF171. Planning on a VF-27 renewal, because I like to have enemies too). But this isn't the toy thread so...

• 2 months later...

Not so much a relationship/shipping-war, but a franchise observation.

Macross timeline has somewhere between M7 & Frontier, the UN Spacy reorganized and became NUNS organization.

In the separate/parallel timeframe of Macross II, that reality's UN Spacy equipment/facilities were marked with the different emblem/kite &/or N.U.N.S.

I just got done re-watching the OAV of; though it odd that all the dress-uniforms had that emblem with NUNS over it, though they referred to themselves as UN Spacy (at least it was to me).

On the characters relationship, ugh!

Though, I will get into that in another post.

Edited by GuardianGrey

It's still the UN Spacy, but now called the "New UN Spacy" after they reorganized it. I could see people still calling it just the UN spacy though to save time.

Edited by Loop