Director Antoine Fuqua (King Arthur, Olympus Has Fallen) will reunite his Training Day duo Ethan Hawke and Denzel Washington to reboot The Magnificent Seven, the 1960 Western remake of Akira Kurosawa's 1954 epic Seven Samurai. Also on board the project are Chris Pratt (Quill/Star-Lord in Guardians of the Galaxy, Emmet in The Lego Movie) and Hailey Bennett (Mandy in The Equalizer, Cora in Music and Lyrics).

Ethan Hawke and Denzel Washington Team for Magnificent Seven Remake

Edited by areaseven

I really have no problem with a westernized remake of a Japanese movie getting remade. (just writing it out is twisted). This one went downhill so quickly after the first that it is second only to the Highlander franchise in time to insensibility too.

• 1 year later...

Spaghetti westerns are always good. The original Magnificent Seven film was way above it in terms of excellence.

The original was a great badass film and such a classic collection of great actors working well together.

Denzel and Ethan are great actors, too, so this remake will not be just another run-of-the-mill crap and will instead be really awesome.

Based on the pic, Denzel will do Yul Bryner's character.

Wonder who exactly is gonna reprise Steve McQueen's character. Pratt or Ethan?

Regardless, eagerly looking forward to it!

I really have no problem with a westernized remake of a Japanese movie getting remade. (just writing it out is twisted). This one went downhill so quickly after the first that it is second only to the Highlander franchise in time to insensibility too.

Which one are you talking about?

The one with Keanu? That one was made and produced by the Japanese themselves.

This new M7 is not out, yet.

It will not be a Seven Samurai remake.

It will be a Magnificent Seven remake.

Classic cowboys and desperados, instead of ronins.

Actually, the desperados have been replaced by "a ruthless industrialist"...

So it's a reimaging of a remake of one of the greatest films ever made? That's fine, really. We're so far from the source material that I'm not sure any changes they make really matter. The trailer is fine, but it doesn't really appeal to me. It's a bit too action-y for how I like my westerns. That said, the trailer might not accurately reflect the overall tone of the movie.

Edited by Duke Togo

Which one are you talking about?

The one with Keanu? That one was made and produced by the Japanese themselves.

This new M7 is not out, yet.

It will not be a Seven Samurai remake.

It will be a Magnificent Seven remake.

Classic cowboys and desperados, instead of ronins.

Lol, 47 Ronin with Keannu was unwatchable, even if the Japanese produced that movie. I got into maybe 10 minutes of it before I had to turn it off.

I haven't watched it in a while, but other than the ride off, I think those are mostly promo pics.

That said. You should really go watch it. Rental or otherwise.

It's very much worth it.

It's got Charles Bronson, man! And Yul Brynner's even more badass than him in the old film!

Calvera's also one of most entertaining villain of all time.

And in contrast fwiw, in the original Kurosawa film Seven Samurai, the villains there were really cardboard one-dimensional stand-ins. No distinctive character or personalities. Only Mifune and a few of the villagers have actual character personalities.

No issues with the diversity of the casting, but since I fall into a "diverse" category I appreciate that.

Re: Tombstone - I'm your huckleberry

I never saw the original The Magnificent Seven so maybe I'll check that out before this one, or probably afterwards because if this sucks I'll need something to erase the memory.

-b.

I mean the Magnificent Seven, did you see any of the sequels "Mag 7 ride" "Mag 7 something else", they are BAD, really BAD.

Oh, Ok.

I've heard about the sequels to M7, but I've never watched any of it. I'll take your word for it that they bad.

I've even heard it they made a TV version of M7, but never watched that either.

I think I went from watching the original M7 to the Sergio Leone films and to The Wild Bunch film back in the day.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...