Nah. Just lighting. Still the same gawd awful mask. The mask has a "gash" across the face at 1:50. Definitely gets damaged. Hopefully, it gets replaced with something that looks better (I can hope can't I).

Yeah, I can't really tell either, though the scene they are referring to is just after the close up you mention. It's the shot of DD walking down the hallway towards the camera. The lighting is pretty bad so I can't tell. The mask does look a little different though. Dunno.

Chris

Yeah, I can't really tell either, though the scene they are referring to is just after the close up you mention. It's the shot of DD walking down the hallway towards the camera. The lighting is pretty bad so I can't tell. The mask does look a little different though. Dunno.

Now I see it. It's different. Or at least it appears so if the lighting was better. I assume that scene will show up after DD and Frank are done with their fight off the rooftop.

Nah. Just lighting. Still the same gawd awful mask. The mask has a "gash" across the face at 1:50. Definitely gets damaged. Hopefully, it gets replaced with something that looks better (I can hope can't I).

Now I see it. It's different. Or at least it appears so if the lighting was better. I assume that scene will show up after DD and Frank are done with their fight off the rooftop.

Yea it's at 1:54. The faceplate is fully red in that shot. I'm excited to see it in action.

But even the old suit looks a lot better in this trailer. Amazing what cinematography and lighting can do huh

I think the mask is about the only thing I don't like about this series. They need to do some refinement. The costume itself is awesome. They should look at what was done with Deadpool. Very good implementation.

Yep. The suit (from the neck down) isn't a problem. It was everything from the neck-up that just looked gawd awful.

Very excited...but he doesn't have the LOOK of a Frank Castle like Ray Stevenson or Thomas Jane did.

I'm sure my opinion will change.

Thomas Jane never looked like Frank Caste, and I thought his Punisher move was flat out wrong in just about every conceivable way. If not for that short film and Jane's passion for the character, I'd be flabbergasted as to why anyone has held any affection for him in the role.

Jon Bernthal looks straight out of a John Romita Jr Punisher book, and that's just gold.

At least in the short "Dirty Laundry", Thomas Jane was perfect as Punisher. He deserved better writing and directing than what he got during his run as Punisher. As did Ray Stevenson.

We'll have to wait to see how this Punisher works in the series, but I love Jon Bernthal in everything I've seen him in, from The Walking Dead to The Wolf of Wall Street to Sicario. He works with some of the best creators and always delivers a stand-out performance. He reminds me - career-wise - of Garret Dillahunt; another great actor who blazes in every role, but doesn't get the credit he deserves. I'm looking forward to Bernthal's performance almost as much as the next season of Daredevil itself.

That would be this one.

Glad they didn't use this one. I hate the "ears". Also, for the feeling of the show, this concept feels like a guy in leather rather than some kind of body armor. And the black strips feel out of place.

There was also this one:

Daredevil_v08_JN.jpg

Too militaristic and pad/plate crazy, and if I thought the S1/S2 mask was awful this one is 10x worst.

We'll see what the new S2 cowl looks like post-Frank Castle-brawl.

I agree the ears are pretty bad and why do these designer's think that straps are necessary for all superhero costumes now. Over all I don't mind the all red look. With the ongoing nature of the show, we'll probably see different costumes down the road anyway.

daredevil-season-21.jpg

Regarding the ears -- while I'm not a fan of the ears on the design I linked to, DD has typically been depicted in the comics as having a cowl that hugs the ears in a pretty precise manner, sometimes even showing the ridges through the cowl material. Obviously not a very realistic depiction even if you assume he's wearing very thin spandex-like material, I always figured it was more of an artistic thing to emphasize his reliance upon his other senses generally, and hearing in particular. E.g., if you ever need to show a close-up of his ears as he listens to something, it looks better if it's the actual shape of the ear rather than just a vague outline.

As for the evolving costume design, from what I remember in S1, when Matt acquired the costume from Melvin Potter, he was told that the different colors were made from different material that had varying levels of protection. I could be incorrectly remembering this part, but I thought that was due to him having to make the costume rather quickly, and that if he had had more time and material, the costume could have been fortified to be more protective. Perhaps this plays into the updates to the costume... now that Kingpin is gone, Matt can take a bit of a breather and have Melvin make some upgrades.

Arent they devils horns... not ears!

This was a good first series but Jessica Jones seriously stepped up the game in being dark and gritty and believable. Heres hoping they can keep that momentum. And I guess from her comments about having to be called The Camel Toe if she wore the Jewel suit, its not going to make an appearance ... ever.

Edited by NZEOD

Regarding the ears -- while I'm not a fan of the ears on the design I linked to, DD has typically been depicted in the comics as having a cowl that hugs the ears in a pretty precise manner, sometimes even showing the ridges through the cowl material. Obviously not a very realistic depiction even if you assume he's wearing very thin spandex-like material, I always figured it was more of an artistic thing to emphasize his reliance upon his other senses generally, and hearing in particular. E.g., if you ever need to show a close-up of his ears as he listens to something, it looks better if it's the actual shape of the ear rather than just a vague outline.

As for the evolving costume design, from what I remember in S1, when Matt acquired the costume from Melvin Potter, he was told that the different colors were made from different material that had varying levels of protection. I could be incorrectly remembering this part, but I thought that was due to him having to make the costume rather quickly, and that if he had had more time and material, the costume could have been fortified to be more protective. Perhaps this plays into the updates to the costume... now that Kingpin is gone, Matt can take a bit of a breather and have Melvin make some upgrades.

Yup he explicitly says that the costume wasn't finished and the darker areas of the costume offered more protection.

Arent they devils horns... not ears!

This was a good first series but Jessica Jones seriously stepped up the game in being dark and gritty and believable. Heres hoping they can keep that momentum. And I guess from her comments about having to be called The Camel Toe if she wore the Jewel suit, its not going to make an appearance ... ever.

Agreed. Jessica Jones was superior in almost every way for me, save for the progression of the story and the villain. I think Kilgrave is far scarier than the Kingpin, and he was written and acted so evil and vile that it'll be a while before any comic book villain matches up.

And I love the scene with Jessica complaining about the costume. Jewel really is a slurmty stripper's name, isn't it? :) After all the hubub surrounding Black Widow's costume, and the promotional marketing having a love affair with SarJo's ass, it was nice to see someone in the MCU call out the costumes for being what they were.

What's sort of funny is that she also played Jinx in G.I. Joe: Retaliation, with a costume that looks more like Elektra than her actual Elektra costume.

04_SnakeEyes_Jinx.jpg

The show's take on Elektra's costume actually looks a lot more like Silk's (relatively new Korean-American Spider-Man spin-off):

tumblr_inline_nnsbtmLNFE1r5gvyk_540.png

Am I the only one that thinks an eyeless mask is much scarier looking than the "eyes" sculpted on the cowl. His cloth mask last season was so much more intimidating to me. Not talking about the cowl as a whole, as we have already done that, I just think an eyeless face is freaky looking. It's a shame the Daredevil mask doesn't do that.

Edited by Dobber

Am I the only one that thinks an eyeless mask is much scarier looking than the "eyes" sculpted on the cowl. His cloth mask last season was so much more intimidating to me. Not talking about the cowl as a whole, as we have already done that, I just think an eyeless face is freaky looking. It's a shame the Daredevil mask doesn't do that.

No, I agree with you. The eye-less cowl did seem to work better. However, I think logically it makes more sense to have a mask with eyes so that people don't know he's blind. A blind guy crimefighter kinda makes figuring out his real identity MUCH easier. "That'd be enough for a clever man" :)

No, I agree with you. The eye-less cowl did seem to work better. However, I think logically it makes more sense to have a mask with eyes so that people don't know he's blind. A blind guy crimefighter kinda makes figuring out his real identity MUCH easier. "That'd be enough for a clever man" :)

I don't know about that. I mean, it's not like people were leaping to the conclusion that he was blind when he had his original mask with no eyes. He moved well enough that people probably assumed he could see through the mask.

• 2 weeks later...