Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs Upcoming Kickstarter

JetJockey

There is a Kickstarter coming up for the Saber Rider videogame. I haven't been following news of the game that much. I think it was originally coming out on one of the Nintendo portable systems. Then I saw news that it would be a coming out as a pay per level type of thing.

I put it in this section as they are teasing a few bonus items for fans of the anime. A new Ramrod toy and a prop of Fireball's blaster have been shown so far on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/SaberRiderOfficial

post-15104-0-47132600-1424663087_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping that they'll have some of the German deluxe Blu-rays with translated booklets.

post-15104-0-81198900-1424663913_thumb.jpg

Maybe they'll make some figures or toys of the other vehicles too. I would go for Fireball's car.

I looked for that mini arcade when they posted it some time ago. Perhaps they'll make it for the Kickstarter too. There are a bunch of mini arcade cabinets on eBay.

I don't think I'll ever watch the original Bismarck. Maybe I'll check out a few episodes. I grew up with Saber Rider and just like Robotech I have more nostalgia towards it.

It was never released. I hope they have more to show than what I've seen so far. They could make a pretty good Saber Rider game following the show's storyline.

• 5 months later...

I read over the Kickstarter this weekend. I don't know how many here follow videogame Kickstarters. Two of the big recent ones were Bloodstained Ritual of the Night and Shenmue 3. There was a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes for both of those. But I thought they were handled well, especially the Bloodstained one. However this Kickstarter seems strange. They want $99 for a physical version where as the other two I mentioned wanted the current normal $60 retail price. You do get some extras with the Saber Rider one but still $100. And forget about the stuff I was looking forward to seeing. $700 for the Ramrod statue and $850 for Fireball's blaster!

The stretch goals seem out of order too. You would think to match the feel of the show and for fans they would want people like Peter Cullen and Dale Schacker to be lower and reachable before stuff like versions for Dreamcast and WiiU. They want $75,000 to start the project. Which is low and supposed to be the actual cost. Not a level that corporate funders want to see in order to start and pass off some risk. Bloodstained wanted $500,000 and Shenmue $2,000,000 for example. So I'm wondering what company out there can't fund $75,000 for this project? Plus I saw some typos, very little concept art, a very small example of gameplay, and overall I'm thinking they need to do more to assure this project will go smoothly given that the previous version I guess is now cancelled.

• 1 month later...

The Kickstarter ended this week and was successful. But it was a strange one. No where near as successful as the some of the other recent videogame Kickstarters. Only 1,072 backers and no one went for the expensive Ramrod statue or Fireball's blaster. I ended up not backing, too many concerns. People on the videogame forum Neogaf had some serious issues. I will purchase the game if and when it's released. And if it looks good. I'll try to get the Kickstarter artbook after the campaign. Does anyone know if there is an offical Saber Rider / Bismarck artbook with all the line art?

My concerns are with the money they now have if it's feasible for them to make all these different versions of the game? They have a 3DS version, PC version, and a PC Engine version. And their last minute changes to the already odd stretch goals seemed to be a moment of desperation to me. $96,591 is a really small amount without outside financing to produce three versions of a videogame and that's without taking out taxes, packaging, and other materials. I'll watch and see what happens. I want a Saber Rider videogame but this could have been handled a lot better.

Edited by JetJockey

• 1 year later...

The game isn't out yet but they did release a small demo.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/saberridergame/saber-rider-and-the-star-sheriffs-the-video-game/posts/1870651

I'm still looking forward to this game whenever it manages to come out.

On 6/28/2017 at 6:30 PM, Sandman said:

Too bad it didn't reach the stretch goal of more original music from Dale Schacker. His OST of Saber Rider was awesome.

It is, I have the two disc soundtrack.

• 1 year later...

Seems this is a bad Kickstarter. The game hasn't come out. The person running the Kickstarter has disappeared and hasn't updated the Kickstarter or Twitter for almost a year. There are all kinds of bad comments being posted. The game was transferred to another company for release but they want nothing to do with the people that ran the Kickstarter and also have backed away. I don't know how this company that was making the game could get the license if they weren't good enough to make the game.