Arcadia 1/60 VF-0S & VF-0A

joppewo

I definitely had to tighten up all three of my SV-51s, but I think the CF was the tightest of the group to start.

In any case, while I might wind up getting one new VF-0S, it'll only be after I sell off one of my old ones, and I dont think I'd re-buy the 51s either way... they'd probably cost a fortune if they were redone.

I definitely had to tighten up all three of my SV-51s, but I think the CF was the tightest of the group to start.

In any case, while I might wind up getting one new VF-0S, it'll only be after I sell off one of my old ones, and I dont think I'd re-buy the 51s either way... they'd probably cost a fortune if they were redone.

So true. Paying for the VF-0D wasn't easy to stomach regardless of how good it is. And I'm sure the 0S and 0A will carry a similarly high price tag. :(

It's really too bad cuz if any valk could use a good re-engineering, it's the SV-51

Macross Zero designs were the best since they were like a modern new design which retained the technological and aesthetic style of the VF-1 while incorporate visual details only made possible by modern graphical technology.

The VF-19 and 25 were stealth oriented and tend to be too curved.

• 2 weeks later...

bQcwDWr.jpg

Does the original Zero have the same issue with the gun blocking the tail hook? From what I can see in this pic the gun pod mounts roughly half an inch further forward which from my calculations going by the mounting point on the Zero-D would provide enough clearance for the hook!

I kinda had a feeling this was the case but wasn't sure as not ever owning an original Zero..

Guest davidwhangchoi

Some of the comparison pics. (Credit goes all to Netvigator over at the Toysdaily forum.

oh saw this late, nice comparison pics

Spanner, I don't remember having any problems using the arrestor hook while having the gun pod mounted underneath on the original Yamato 0's. It has been quite a few years since I have taken them out of the case though.

Does the original Zero have the same issue with the gun blocking the tail hook? From what I can see in this pic the gun pod mounts roughly half an inch further forward which from my calculations going by the mounting point on the Zero-D would provide enough clearance for the hook!

I kinda had a feeling this was the case but wasn't sure as not ever owning an original Zero..

Good catch there, Spanner! I don't own any of the original zeros either, but from what Loop said, it sounds like that would be one of the few changes that's actually worse in the new 0D compared to the old zeros.

oh saw this late, nice comparison pics

Thanks, David! Glad to contribute... I can't wait to get my hands on the new 0S and 0A :)

I wonder if someone decided " Let's make the front of the gunpod inline with the lower intakes on the D" but forgot all about the arrestor hook? Someone gotta ask Mr. K.

Edited by wmkjr

Guest davidwhangchoi

Glad to contribute... I can't wait to get my hands on the new 0S and 0A :)

it's awesome you're contributing so much early on.

yeah the old 0a arrestor isn't block by the gunpod at all....just check that the 0d does ....also another thing on the 0d...the danger intake red V marking is slightly of on the left side .!!

18919_674916779303914_528659136227394668

damn all your photos of the 0d look nice. are planning to panel lining the legs right about the ankle as well?

opps saw blue and it's the 0a, my mistake no wonder there was no panel lines. :rolleyes:

Edited by davidwhangchoi

it's awesome you're contributing so much early on.

damn all your photos of the 0d look nice. are planning to panel lining the legs right about the ankle as well?

opps saw blue and it's the 0a, my mistake no wonder there was no panel lines. :rolleyes:

you mean this section it all panel lined

11070604_674992162629709_906054402046242

yeah the old 0a arrestor isn't block by the gunpod at all....just check that the 0d does ....also another thing on the 0d...the danger intake red V marking is slightly of on the left side .!!

18919_674916779303914_528659136227394668

well there you go eh.. Don't get me wrong I love the Zero-D blocked arrestor or not but this sure as hell pisses me right off that they balls'd this up like that.. Even the angle the gunpod sits on the Zero-D looks wrong and angles down way too much. If they had moved the mounting point further up the arm like the original version then it would have corrected both the angle & hook block problems. -1 to Arcadia. They should have known and done better is all I can say. Extremely disappointing.. And I'll bet they fix it for the A & S models too.. well I wouldn't be surprised anyway..

well here my weathered V0a i just did... :)

14697_674977839297808_773585415732736178

Lance that looks fully sick bro! Heck of a nice job you have done! So are you gonna have an attempt at the Dee too?

Edited by spanner76

Bwahahaha!

That just made my day!

At least we know the new zeros have good articulation :lol:

I guess I'm the only one not impressed with the articulation. It's admittedly better than the usual offerings by Yamato/Arcadia, but I wouldn't say it's great.

And just how should it articulate better?

Several areas actually. I'm surprised you don't see them.

Neck - They finally placed it on a ball joint, but the range provided by that ball joint is very limited and you don't really get that much tilt from it.

Shoulder swivels - Even though it's part of the transformation gimmick, you can't swing them forward very much.

Arms & Legs - This is mostly due to the design where the large wings in the back hinder these from moving back. Yes you can swing the wings out but that looks silly IMO.

Ankles - The ankle tilt is not that good. Sure you can get a wider spread with the hips, but unless the feet can stay flat on the ground it looks dumb.

With the exception of the arms and legs, the areas I mentioned above could have been done better without requiring a change to the outside sculpt. I guess what I'm saying is that they placed more articulation points now, but the range of articulation is very limited. That's why I don't consider it something to praise when compared to other transforming toys which are much better articulated. I would rate it as a little over average.

Is Shin's VF-0A the same as a standard VF-0A aside from the option parts?

Shin only piloted a VF-0A in episode 6 and the product naming is just to distinguish it from Roy Focker's one and also to associate it with the protagonist to attract more customers.

Which option parts are you referring to?

Shin's is an A type and Roy's is an S. Two head lasers for the S and one for the A.

There were other A types in the story but only one S, as I recall. I don't recall if there was anything to set Shin's A apart from the others, that was blatantly obvious. The colors and markings were so similar to the other "unknown" As that I'm not sure you could distinguish them. Hence, the "unknown soldier" release fr yamato, prior to the "proper" Shin type released a bit after.

I thought there were brownies (if not just accents) and then a gray VF-0A with a white stripe that was Shin's. Then Kawamori said the brownies are a contrivance because in reality everyone would fly one that looks like the 'unknown soldier' release, including Shin. Then someone reminded Kawamori the reason there are different paint schemes is to sell more toys so he said "Oh yeah, then Shin was gray with a white stripe and the CFs had brown accents."

So yes, Shin has a unique VF-0A but if you were talking about "stats" it'd be the same as all the other VF-0A valks. Roy has his VF-0S which is a unique bird in both head and paint scheme.