Arcadia 1/60 VF-0S & VF-0A

joppewo

Gahhh! just could not get away from work quick enough.. sheesh.. And now finally home and finally get to see my Zero-A!

She's a beauty! Soooo much easier and more pleasant to handle than the Zero-D without fear of bumping the fiddly winglets, forward canards and vertical stabilizers!

Im really liking the color too! and the cockpit blast shield is a slightly blue-ish gray but it looks fine. I don't mind the black lights on the leading edge of the wings either.

And FINALLY a properly functional arrestor hook whilst gun pod is attached! Man that issue reeeaaalllyyy bugs me about the Zero-D..

Pilot figure and cockpit details are nice and I really like the blue painted sections on the back of the legs! They make nice highlights!

The triangle leg knee joint filler parts are a nice touch too! Really cleans up the side profile a lot! The Zero-D really needs these too and a shame it wasn't included.. Regardless if its anime accurate or not..

The missiles it comes with are nice too! But im going to leave it in a clean configuration..

A few little gripes.. why they didn't tampo the UN SPACY markings on the legs but did so on the gun pod? I can't seem to get the upper leg sections to sit up close enough to the forward main fuselage and that area wants to creek and groan a little when handled.

I also cant the the rear tail plane back pack part to sit perfectly flush with the rear upper fuselage but it doesn't stick up too much so im not so fussed.

Overall it looks and feels great! Nothing seems loose or about to fall off I think im definitely going to order a 2nd one!

Some photos below! Sorry about the poor quality.. Only camera I have is my Note 4.. and it kinda sucks at best.

20150904_161509.jpg

20150904_161520.jpg

20150904_161726.jpg

20150904_161809.jpg

20150904_161916.jpg

20150904_161632.jpg

20150904_161621.jpg

20150904_161547.jpg

20150904_161531.jpg

20150904_162420.jpg

So, so pretty Spanner! I'm kicking myself now that I couldn't find a way to justify the cost...

VF-0A looks so good :)

I was considering getting it, but I won't risk getting a defective product for that huge price. I don't like the lack of tampo either. Beautiful valkyrie, not worth the price unfortunately until Arcadia fixes the hip problem (unless you can fix it yourself). I'm actually kind of mad if they already had the issue on VF-0D and didn't fix it. The problem will then probably persist on to 0S aswell. Bad way to do business.

Edited by Zonnet

I was considering getting it, but I won't risk getting a defective product for that huge price. I don't like the lack of tampo either. Beautiful valkyrie, not worth the price unfortunately until Arcadia fixes the hip problem (unless you can fix it yourself). I'm actually kind of mad if they already had the issue on VF-0D and didn't fix it. The problem will then probably persist on to 0S aswell. Bad way to do business.

Unfortunately, they are the only one that are producing VF-0. Not sure if Bandai has the license. It would be great if they have. Look what they did for VF-19. Cheaper too.

It doesn't look like it's defective as in if you do this or that you are guaranteed to break it as with the Yamato VT-1 and Bandai's CF VF-171. The VF-19 too had that leg joint that if you clicked more than three time you broke it and they never changed that. I'm a fighter only guy so as long as it's not rattling when you pick it up...!

Edited by Dimis

Well i got to mess with mine yesterday. One thing i absolutely hate is that the white paint can scratch so easily, I dont remember Yamato's paint apps being so frail (So much for Mr. K's point number 8 on why they charge so much :rolleyes: ) also why in the world did they have to paint the damn knee caps :angry: when going to gerwalk the paint can get marred by the lower leg. A friend scratched the underside of the wings with the metal bar in the back. The ghost fits but again be careful with the tail fins because the ghost might scratch the white paint and inserting and removing. Also the fuel tanks and whatever the other things are called are supper loose on the wings and the one on the top dont even fit, i had to use sticky tack. So in case you are in the market for a ghost booster for this 0A or 0S i recommend you dont waste your $$$. This is just some of the masking i had to do, yes im paranoid about scratches most of you know that by now :lol:

88363D33-2E9C-4E5D-8C04-C1BFF14C2120.jpg

Aside from that it looks great. I tested the pull out function of the hip and so far its good, the leg didnt come off. The right hip was super tight when pulling out.

Love the look of it, hate the fragility of the paint but that's my only complaint. Im looking forward to the 0S B))

A7E836EB-D91D-40C4-8993-3716B804449D.jpg

F525DB6F-FAFD-4A33-AB3F-93D3C9F87BAA.jpg

EF0F380C-F61C-4A10-9A62-557B02AE320A.jpg

BEABB384-0998-45BB-B410-117CA8645E01.jpg

8632A293-2301-4132-A0C0-E1CC82AB9C74.jpg

AD789C98-BE6A-4065-B4D0-00566D8BA3DD.jpg

765B9257-0D66-4C72-AE7C-2BC73E8ECFA9.jpg

I just got mine earlier and while it's nice and all, I feel kinda bummed with it because the head laser isn't pointing perfectly straight. The laser barrel itself is not bent so I think the culprit is either the alignment of the base pivot, or how the laser was connected to it. Not sure how to remedy this at the moment.

I also got the same issue with the backpack not able to sit flush in fighter. I got everything tabbed in properly as far as I can tell, and didn't have this issue on my 0D.

I do really like what they did with the fold out chest tabs. That addressed the gappiness issue I had with the 0D's chest when viewed from above.

Edited by ArchieNov

The 'black' lights? Yeah, it looks like it's a separate piece. But I check it closer and it's just painted nice to make it look like a separate piece. Actually the wing is kinda thinner compared to the VF-1's from Yamato.

No worries, Spanner. Did you get yours today? ;)

Regarding the triangles one, my only advice is only watch out the shoulder armor once you tuck it back in going to fighter so that they will not have any contacts to the triangle. Otherwise, it's gonna scratch some paint. So what I did was fold the shoulder armor upward and somehow used my fingers to guard the part while rotating it so that it's not gonna hit the triangle. ;)

I'm just glad that the Ghost Booster fits. It's the 'brown pods' is loose since the hole is a little bigger and shallow. I might trim the 'brown pod' tabs and probably wrap it in tape or put some nail polish to make it tight.

attachicon.gifvf0a_ghost_fits2.jpg attachicon.gifvf0a_pods.jpg attachicon.gifvf0a_ghost_fits3.jpg

But overall, I'm a one happy Arcadia VF-0A customer. Looking forward to the VF-0S and the Reactive Armor. :wub:

Same as the Yamato. It came with extra mount parts that you need to replace on the Valk. On the top, it's for the brown colored pods. On the side is the slot for the Ghost Booster's folding canards. And yes, it does FIT. I also posted some pics to show that it fits. ;)

Congrats! ;)

Additional pointers on the backpack area based on what I saw in the manual. Push the folding back part area more towards the body so that it will create a space so that when you fold the backpack it will have more clearance. Atleast the pointy part from the back is not touching the tailfins. Hope that helps. ;)

attachicon.gifvf0a_backflap1.jpg attachicon.gifvf0a_backflap2.jpg

Just comparing the greys on both VF-4G and VF-0A. Love it. :wub:

attachicon.gifvf0a_vf4g_grey.jpg

Gahhh! just could not get away from work quick enough.. sheesh.. And now finally home and finally get to see my Zero-A!

She's a beauty! Soooo much easier and more pleasant to handle than the Zero-D without fear of bumping the fiddly winglets, forward canards and vertical stabilizers!

Im really liking the color too! and the cockpit blast shield is a slightly blue-ish gray but it looks fine. I don't mind the black lights on the leading edge of the wings either.

And FINALLY a properly functional arrestor hook whilst gun pod is attached! Man that issue reeeaaalllyyy bugs me about the Zero-D..

Pilot figure and cockpit details are nice and I really like the blue painted sections on the back of the legs! They make nice highlights!

The triangle leg knee joint filler parts are a nice touch too! Really cleans up the side profile a lot! The Zero-D really needs these too and a shame it wasn't included.. Regardless if its anime accurate or not..

The missiles it comes with are nice too! But im going to leave it in a clean configuration..

A few little gripes.. why they didn't tampo the UN SPACY markings on the legs but did so on the gun pod? I can't seem to get the upper leg sections to sit up close enough to the forward main fuselage and that area wants to creek and groan a little when handled.

I also cant the the rear tail plane back pack part to sit perfectly flush with the rear upper fuselage but it doesn't stick up too much so im not so fussed.

Overall it looks and feels great! Nothing seems loose or about to fall off I think im definitely going to order a 2nd one!

Some photos below! Sorry about the poor quality.. Only camera I have is my Note 4.. and it kinda sucks at best.

20150904_161509.jpg

20150904_161520.jpg

20150904_161726.jpg

20150904_161809.jpg

20150904_161916.jpg

20150904_161632.jpg

20150904_161621.jpg

20150904_161547.jpg

20150904_161531.jpg

20150904_162420.jpg

Great pics guys.

20150904_161531.jpg

Talk about poor quality. Yours looks better than the ones that I've uploaded. Hahaha! Btw, great pics Spanner! ;)

Regarding the backpack part. Mine is also like that when it not transformed properly. So what I do is pull it back again, untill those hinge/folding connectors are flushed. It may take awhile but it works. The only thing puzzles me was why there's 2 tabs in the side of the backpacks. I know one slot is for the legs during fighter mode. Would the other slot for the upcoming Reactive Armor? Hmmm. B))

Thanks for this Noel! I'm glad to see that the Yamato Ghost Booster actually fits. Still bummed out that Arcadia didn't go all the way and make even the brown pods fit. Oh well, I think I'll just keep the Ghost Booster on the V.1 VF-0S and make the V.2. wear the Reactive Armor when it comes out.

You're welcome brouken. Just be careful though when you put it since you really need to squeeze the Ghost canards to fit it in the slots. ;) Yeah, I just hope Arcadia replaced the brown pods or gave us extra attachments on their new larger hard points slots. Coz they really are loose. :unsure:

Actually, surprisingly fast. I get my packages in 3-4 days if shipped through EMS. Yeah, god thing for Greattoys eh? Bought a lot from them, but I still tend to buy stuff from other online retailers when they don't have what I'm looking for.

Hey, great news on the ghost booster! Glad you made it work. hoping to get one in the future.

That's cool. Thought it's gonna get hold up somehow in the post office. That's great to hear. And yeah, I bought a lot of stuff back then. And I also met the owner. One call to reserve the toy, and boom! It's yours. And I get discounts too. Hehehe. :lol:

Thanks on the Ghost Booster. That's the second thing I did when I took out the VF-0A after inspecting the paint applications. And be careful when you replace the part on the back, transform it mid-way to battroid in order to take the replacement part. If not, you can't take it off properly in fighter mode. You might damage the cool grey paint. ;)

@spanner nice tight shots esp liking the details on the black vents!

arrrgggh am too busy to even open mine....will have to examine it later....

yea liking the ghost boosters...though i guess its not the perfect fit...will await more pics of it in different angles hopefully the booster wont drop off...

if it stays well, might try to hunt one down too...

ahh nice tip on the backpack! cant wait to try it!

Actually the Ghost Booster will not fall off since you really need to squeeze more the Ghost's canards just to fit it into the slot. And that what makes it tight. I don't think it's as loose compared when attached to the Yamato 0S/A. ;) But the other missile/tanks attachments from the Ghost set is not gonna fit properly on the tabs and even in the wing hard points. Bummer that they marketed before that everything should fits when it really doesn't. But don't get me wrong though. I really love this release inspite of all the flaws. Is it really worth the value after seeing all those flaws? No. But hey, you can't get this anywhere so I'm still happy to have one. :wub:

VF-0A looks so good

Jenius and Yeti already fixed theirs. And I already fixed my VF-0D knee joint. Hehehe. So basically you can fix yours too. ;) And true that the same problem will still be in the upcoming VF-0S. But for what it is now, I'm really decided to get it just in case they fold the Macross division in the foresseable future. :rolleyes:

Well i got to mess with mine yesterday. One thing i absolutely hate is that the white paint can scratch so easily, I dont remember Yamato's paint apps being so frail (So much for Mr. K's point number 8 on why they charge so much ) also why in the world did they have to paint the damn knee caps when going to gerwalk the paint can get marred by the lower leg. A friend scratched the underside of the wings with the metal bar in the back. The ghost fits but again be careful with the tail fins because the ghost might scratch the white paint and inserting and removing. Also the fuel tanks and whatever the other things are called are supper loose on the wings and the one on the top dont even fit, i had to use sticky tack. So in case you are in the market for a ghost booster for this 0A or 0S i recommend you dont waste your $$$. This is just some of the masking i had to do, yes im paranoid about scratches most of you know that by now

Aside from that it looks great. I tested the pull out function of the hip and so far its good, the leg didnt come off. The right hip was super tight when pulling out.

Love the look of it, hate the fragility of the paint but that's my only complaint. Im looking forward to the 0S

I totally agree on the paint. Actually my first impression when I took out the valk the first time from the box, I said to myself that it looks like a 'painted' high-end model kit that needed no transformation. Like everywhere I look it's painted and I'm guessing which is molded in the right color of plastic. :ph34r: Whenever I transform an Arcadia toy is not the same as how I transform a Yamato toy. ;) And I do really like how big he is besides the VF-1's. HUGE!

Great pics guys.

Thanks sh9000! I know it's not as good as Saburo's but I just took some to point out some. :lol:

Additional pointers on the backpack area based on what I saw in the manual. Push the folding back part area more towards the body so that it will create a space so that when you fold the backpack it will have more clearance. Atleast the pointy part from the back is not touching the tailfins. Hope that helps. ;)

attachicon.gifvf0a_backflap1.jpg attachicon.gifvf0a_backflap2.jpg

Just comparing the greys on both VF-4G and VF-0A. Love it. :wub:

attachicon.gifvf0a_vf4g_grey.jpg

Thanks for taking those ghost shots and I wish I had a VF-4G. Those two look great together. Great pics Spanner and Anubis too!

Edited by wmkjr

Nice pics spanner! Almost makes me want to order a 0A!

Nice laptop too. Looks a lot like mine. :p

Thanks! You should get one its a lovely thing!

The laptop is a Lenovo Yoga 3 14".. its a ripping little machine! especially after I binned Win8.1 for Win10! :D

@spanner nice tight shots esp liking the details on the black vents!

I didn't notice those little details till after I took the photos.. nice little touches they make! Probably isn't enough of it..

So, so pretty Spanner! I'm kicking myself now that I couldn't find a way to justify the cost...

Hey thanks mate! Im kicking myself I didn't keep the order for the 2nd one and as much as I want to buy another im kinda reluctant as the dollar is so weak and I'll end up paying a bit more than I should and would have initially.. <_<

Personally I don't think you would really be at such a high risk of receiving a defective item and not everyone has had the hip issues so it might just be a manufacturing tolerance / QC issue for a certain batch of parts.. I went and re-checked two of my Zero-D which are partially and fully transformed and the hips seem secure thankfully. They would definitely be aware of the issue but its probably that so many parts have already been cast / manufactured for the production process then its not going to be cost effective for them to have them rectified for a low volume product such as this.. One could say it is a bad way to do business but I'd say they just aren't willing to re-position themselves in such a way to potentially eliminate the small profit they would be making. Yes it bugs me to no end too but I know I wouldn't want to do that either.

Yes they have become costly but so has most else in life.. Sadly due to the ever rising costs of existence even our beloved Macross hobby was inevitably going to follow suit. As explained in a different thread.

I just got mine earlier and while it's nice and all, I feel kinda bummed with it because the head laser isn't pointing perfectly straight. The laser barrel itself is not bent so I think the culprit is either the alignment of the base pivot, or how the laser was connected to it. Not sure how to remedy this at the moment.

I also got the same issue with the backpack not able to sit flush in fighter. I got everything tabbed in properly as far as I can tell, and didn't have this issue on my 0D.

I do really like what they did with the fold out chest tabs. That addressed the gappiness issue I had with the 0D's chest when viewed from above.

I found the same issue with the head laser on my example and yes it appears to be the base itself and not the laser being bent.. Its not too bad so im just going to leave it alone.

I am going to do a full transformation to battroid and back to see if that helps relax things to a point and see if the back pack aligns a little better for fighter mode.. All 3 of my Zero-D have a similar issue and I kept the one with the least of the issue in fighter mode but the Zero-A seemed to be a little more noticeable.

Nice pics, spanner! I like the grey on the 0A. It sure looks great side by side with Nora's SV-51!

Hey thanks! She is a lovely color indeed! They do look great together but that bloody SV-51 is sooo huge she takes up most of the shelf and they are a little cramped in there! And the SV-51 is floppy and gappy compared to the svelte and tight Zero!

Finally picked up my box and what is the first thing that this big idiot does?

attachicon.gif20150904_095946.jpgattachicon.gif20150904_095858.jpg

hehe! It would be nice to swap over the fore arms too and fix the Zero-D's gunpod alignment issue so the arrestor hook actually works... :rolleyes:

Does this help?

attachicon.gif20150904_103519.jpg

attachicon.gif20150904_103620.jpg

attachicon.gif20150904_103938.jpg

I like how this one feels hefty or something.

Wow there is a big difference in the size of the pilot figures eh! im thinking the original looks to be a more accurate size perhaps? The new Zero-A pilot flops and jumps around the cockpit a far bit..

Does this help?

attachicon.gif20150904_103519.jpg

attachicon.gif20150904_103620.jpg

attachicon.gif20150904_103938.jpg

I like how this one feels hefty or something.

Perfect...thanks!

I know no one will agree, but I think that Yamato's version is more representative of what the VF-0 Phoenix was....a more bulky, less advanced, less sleek variable fighter that rightfully lost out to the VF-1...the Arcadia looks like a revisionist take on a VF-0...or perhaps an in-universe never produced VF-0.5.... :rolleyes:

Finally picked up my box and what is the first thing that this big idiot does?

attachicon.gif20150904_095946.jpgattachicon.gif20150904_095858.jpg

what! a double seater vf-0a? did you just make it a......vf-0b!!? :o I would like to hear if it could pass as the 0b version.. B))B))​

edit* Just to add, you may have accidentally revealed the next arcadia release after the vf-0a CF!! :D

@no3ljm just trying to imagine the squeezing of the ghosts canards to fit you mentioned.. From vf5ss video review it doesnt seem possible and would end up scratching the top 0a paint or worse breaking the ghost canards?

Edited by seti88

I found the same issue with the head laser on my example and yes it appears to be the base itself and not the laser being bent.. Its not too bad so im just going to leave it alone.

I am going to do a full transformation to battroid and back to see if that helps relax things to a point and see if the back pack aligns a little better for fighter mode.. All 3 of my Zero-D have a similar issue and I kept the one with the least of the issue in fighter mode but the Zero-A seemed to be a little more noticeable.

Oh I see. So I guess mine wasn't just a bum copy. That kinda makes me feel a little better (I won't feel like getting a 2nd one in hopes of getting a better aligned laser), but annoyed at the same time (I hate it when things are out of alignment without an obvious way to fix it).

I just noticed that I also accidentally scratched the underside of my wing when I folded it in for battroid. And to think I was being extra extra careful to try and create some distance between the metal bar and the wing when I folded it in. I guess they just didn't realize that there's not enough clearance on it without risk of scratching the paint off. On the bright side, it's not that big a scratch and it's on the underside of the wing.

One question though. Unlike the VF-1, there are no ratchets on the wing. What is the normal angle for them? I've tried spreading them out but it looks odd. Same with folding them in. I wish it had the ratchets...

Edit: I saw a top view of the 0A online, so that answered my question. But now I have another one. Is it possible to fold the vertical stabilizers in WITHOUT detaching one of them? I've tried pulling it out little by little but it doesn't seem to have enough of a comfortable clearance until you pull it off...

My 0A showed up this morning. It's really slick. :wub:

However the right legs hip joint is really stiff and difficult to rotate. I'm scared...

Uh oh... I think that was ChaoticYeti's same issue before his leg got broken...

Edited by ArchieNov

@no3ljm just trying to imagine the squeezing of the ghosts canards to fit you mentioned.. From vf5ss video review it doesnt seem possible and would end up scratching the top 0a paint or worse breaking the ghost canards?

Hey seti88. So far it looks ok. No scratch whatsoever on the back part of my VF-0A. Ghost canards is still ok too. But with you mentioning it, I will double check it tonight when I get home. But based on last night's testing, it still fits though you really just need to squeeze the Ghost canards a little just for it to insert it in the tabs. But let me check it tonight if it also created some stress on the Ghost canards. Will update you later. ;)

My 0A showed up this morning. It's really slick. :wub:

However the right legs hip joint is really stiff and difficult to rotate. I'm scared...

Sounds like mine. I would assume the plastic half of the ball joint is glued in place. Do not attempt to splay that leg, or it will most likely pop off. It can be fixed, but be careful.

what! a double seater vf-0a? did you just make it a......vf-0b!!? :o I would like to hear if it could pass as the 0b version.. B))B))​

edit* Just to add, you may have accidentally revealed the next arcadia release after the vf-0a CF!! :D

It's close to passing for a VF-0B. I would need to swap the heads with each other then it would pass as a B and the other as a C. Oh and paint it a uniform color but it kinda matches like that.

As for the Ghost. Can't you put the ghost down first then peg the tank down over it?

It's close to passing for a VF-0B. I would need to swap the heads with each other then it would pass as a B and the other as a C. Oh and paint it a uniform color but it kinda matches like that.

As for the Ghost. Can't you put the ghost down first then peg the tank down over it?

It will be the same since the new VF-0A is narrower than the Yamato one. So doing that means you need to squeeze the canards still in order to close the tabs.

That sucks.

Is it less stressful on the canards to do it one at a time?

That's what I did since you can't put the Ghost canards at the same time while squeezing it since the space is tight compared to the Yamato one. Even though you put it one at a time, you need to squeeze the other one to put it in. Regarding stress on the Ghost canards, I can't guarantee 100% that it's safe. I need to check mine later.

If you guys are worried that it will give stress to your Ghost canards, then my advice is don't do it. I only just shared what I did to make it work since I plan on putting the Ghost Booster on my VF-0A.

At this point in time majority knows that the new VF-0's back is not as wide as the old Yamato VF-0's. So if you guys still want to try it then do it at your own risk. It's what I did. ;)