Arcadia 1/60 VF-0S & VF-0A

joppewo

And what about CdJapan..they already give you shipping fees and you can add some of your earned point.

CDJ has it up, and their price is the same as HLJ's; CDJ also offers a wide array of shipping options, but beware of preordering with PayPal as your payment selection as that option means you get charged upfront. If you place your order with a credit card (CC transaction fees may apply, but you won't know until you're charged), canceling the preorder if necessary is almost as easy as with HLJ; however, I can't offer any insight on their customer service as I've never had to avail myself of it.

Edited by mechaninac

The rotating cockpit gimmick is so dumb... I hope they didn't have to make this toy more complex/expensive to accommodate this gimmick everyone will only see momentarily during transformation.

I am all for the kitchen sink approach, but I agree. There is a point of diminishing returns.

I have not taken my old 0's out of the case in a few years, but I think I remember them having the rotating cockpit feature. Why change it if they already had it in the old design? I don't remember it having any issues solely based on the rotating cockpit.

And what about CdJapan..they already give you shipping fees and you can add some of your earned point.

I originally ordered my VF-0D with them and prepaid it including the shipping. When it was finally released, they sent me another invoice and asked my to pay (I think) another $20 USD for shipping. I refused and they refunded my money. Ended up going with HLJ instead.

I have not taken my old 0's out of the case in a few years, but I think I remember them having the rotating cockpit feature. Why change it if they already had it in the old design? I don't remember it having any issues solely based on the rotating cockpit.

The old ones do have it... and it's pointless. If they could have charged me $5 less but ditched that gimmick I would have been happy. At the price range their at I wish they'd get a little more conscious of the returns on the gimmicks so they could save a few bucks... but I guess they figure people are willing to pay so might as well go for broke.

I don't think the rotating seat gimmick is gonna be much of a detriment. It's been done before without any serious problems as far as I know. I like the gimmick myself though. If it costs $5 then charge me the fiver. If it saves me $30 then maybe leave it out.

Edited by xrentonx

Keeping the cockpit gimmick actually probably saved money in this case, since it'd be a few less parts they'd have to redesign. Probably still needed new molds, but they might have saved a bit on CAD labor. :p

There's also the fact that if the cockpit didn't rotate, you'd have another camp of people complaining "I paid 300 bucks for this and they didn't even include the rotating cockpit!!" :D

I'm happy either way, but given the choice I do enjoy having those accurate details, especially when they don't interfere with anything else on the valk (conversely, I could probably have done without the Arcadia's YF-19 high-speed mode wing gimmick). From what I recall of my long-since sold VF-0A, it wasn't a particularly complicated gimmick anyways.

Guest davidwhangchoi

That is an unrealistic estimate. They will most likely revise it and ask for your authorisation to go along with it when it ships. It has happened to be before with a heavy book.

oh that happened to you on cdjapan? then thanks for the heads up:)

i might go cdjapan SAL shipping is only 1900yen

I saw that too, but decided to hold off on committing to any retailer at this point... I need more time to decide if I even want to preorder the 0A as I think it's too light, I already have the Yamato 0A, which I think has a perfect palette, and I wasn't blown away by Arcadia's 0D... underwhelmed, really. Also, I wouldn't be to confident with cdjapan's SAL charge given the quote from bruinsinla, bellow.

I originally ordered my VF-0D with them and prepaid it including the shipping. When it was finally released, they sent me another invoice and asked my to pay (I think) another $20 USD for shipping. I refused and they refunded my money. Ended up going with HLJ instead.

Edit: calubin_175 beat me to it...

Edited by mechaninac

I'm really torn on this one. I have the Yammie and not thrilled with what a saggy mess it is, but the price point is killing me with everything else hitting this year (including two unexpected spinal surgeries...and some unadvised/unsupervised japanese auction madness while heavily medicated. Filled two big holes in the collection, though! :). Think I'm going to hold out for the 0S. She is a beuatiful bird, though!

Part of that is for the hatch in battroid, I think. You'll only see this gimmick mid transformation on the vf-0. I don't mind it, and am glad it is there.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

I was comparing the Yamato 1/60 VF-0 with the VF-1 V2, and found the similarities with the collar design and body width. The Arcadia VF-0 has certainly fixed it up to look more like the CG model and lineart.

If Arcadia were to design a new VF-1, they could easily adopt the same construction as the VF-0, but not too sure whether the cockpit nose retraction could be the same.

The rotating cockpit gimmick is so dumb... I hope they didn't have to make this toy more complex/expensive to accommodate this gimmick everyone will only see momentarily during transformation.

I agree, given it's a thing that only affects a part of the toy that is covered up at the time it is completely pointless. I'd rather have more missiles/etc... that can affect it's outward appearance versus something useless I'll never see.

I am confused now, there was a discussion on YF-19 and 0D why they omitted the rotating cockpit gimmick and now arcadia tries to (my assumption) re-use the old 0 cockpit modl that has the gimmick and now people calls it useless?

I think the contention has to due with cost. Arcadia is selling these for a higher premium than yamato did. The gimmicks are awesome to have, up to a point.

The Yamato VF-19's that the Arcadia YF-19 was based off of all had the rotating cockpit gimmick, so it was odd that it was removed. The 0D didn't have a rotating cockpit, and was the first Zero release from Arcadia. Adding the rotating gimmick on further Zero releases seems like added cost

It is just a nitpick. I doubt it is going to dissuade people from purchasing. Just something to call out. No biggie.

In terms of design, it doesn't make sense to remove the rotating cockpit from the VF-0A and 0S, because it already existed in the CAD drawings, and the parts would have had to have been redesigned to remove the feature. In the VF-0D's case, it didn't make sense to put it in at all, because the mechanism for a dual cockpit rotation would have required a lot of re-design of the basic aircraft.

In the YF-19's case, the canopy opens from the other direction compared with the VF-19s, so there's no way to access the cockpit in battroid mode anyway. That feature was almost purely to duplicate how Basara got in and out of the Fire Valk in the show, and I don't know if any of the other VF-19s were ever shown with their battroid hatches open.

Edited by Chronocidal

In terms of design, it doesn't make sense to remove the rotating cockpit from the VF-0A and 0S, because it already existed in the CAD drawings, and the parts would have had to have been redesigned to remove the feature. In the VF-0D's case, it didn't make sense to put it in at all, because the mechanism for a dual cockpit rotation would have required a lot of re-design of the basic aircraft.

In the YF-19's case, the canopy opens from the other direction compared with the VF-19s, so there's no way to access the cockpit in battroid mode anyway. That feature was almost purely to duplicate how Basara got in and out of the Fire Valk in the show, and I don't know if any of the other VF-19s were ever shown with their battroid hatches open.

I very much doubt they're using exactly the same CAD on these toys as the originals. Once they change anything to the CAD there's no longer a benefit to copying the 'old CAD'. I think it really is more a thought process like "Yamato had this on a much cheaper toy, we need to have it on our super expensive toy." I don't think you can make an argument that something that necessitates another mold/part and additional assembly in any way would SAVE money. We're all paying extra for something that's only visible for a moment during transformation. Seemed silly on the Yamato toy... even sillier now. That said, it's not like I'd buy another one if this toy cost $5 less so that's probably just as good an answer as anything else.

I am confused now, there was a discussion on YF-19 and 0D why they omitted the rotating cockpit gimmick and now arcadia tries to (my assumption) re-use the old 0 cockpit modl that has the gimmick and now people calls it useless?

I never cared about the YF-19 or 0D having the rotating cockpit gimmick so I've been entirely consistent.

I agree, given it's a thing that only affects a part of the toy that is covered up at the time it is completely pointless. I'd rather have more missiles/etc... that can affect it's outward appearance versus something useless I'll never see.

More additional possibly non-canon useless missiles (like the YF-19's) are alot more sillier than a rotating cockpit detail.

Besides, rotating the cockpit adds to the satisfaction of transforming and playing with the toy itself.