Arcadia 1/60 VF-0S & VF-0A

joppewo

I just got it in a while ago and have been admiring the fighter mode. Once I got everything locked down, it seems to to be staying in place pretty well. The sculpt is even better than Yamato's release and no where near as floppy. You know, in a weird way, I kinda actually like the lack of detail, it has the Jolly Roger Skulls that I love, but since it doesn't have the modex numbers, it's not tied to belonging to anyone and I can pretend that this one had nuclear reactor engines put in and is one par with the VF-1's, lol.

You know, as much as I've always loved the VF-1's, the VF-0 fixes every issue I had with the VF-1's exposed arms and backpack section not really blending in with the engines. Frankly, I think they should downscale the VF-0 frame, reshape it a bit, and make it the new VF-1.

Don't get me wrong, the VF-1 will always be special to me, but between the two, I love the flow of the VF-0's design more.

Anyways, I guess I'm going to see about acquiring a premium finish version, because why not? I highly doubt Arcadia is going to re-release it. I should have the money for one on the secondary market next month, assuming I can find one under $600 and up that is, lol. 

Edited by Kyp Durron

It's funny, I was thinking about the VF-0 on my way to work this morning and how it's pretty much a perfect iteration, or...reverse iteration on the VF-1. It's a great design in its own right and looks and feels like a natural stepping stone between conventional aircraft and the more advanced VF-1. Sure, the animation for Macross Zero is wayyyyy more advanced, and so it does crazier stuff we had never seen a VF-1 really do, but the vehicle itself didn't feel that way.

I don't think I realized that the VF-0 had a premium version though, that could be dangerous for the wallet.

4 minutes ago, kaiotheforsaken said:

It's funny, I was thinking about the VF-0 on my way to work this morning and how it's pretty much a perfect iteration, or...reverse iteration on the VF-1. It's a great design in its own right and looks and feels like a natural stepping stone between conventional aircraft and the more advanced VF-1. Sure, the animation for Macross Zero is wayyyyy more advanced, and so it does crazier stuff we had never seen a VF-1 really do, but the vehicle itself didn't feel that way.

I don't think I realized that the VF-0 had a premium version though, that could be dangerous for the wallet.

I know it's going to be expensive, but now I have to have one, so I don't care. Something told me I was going to want one when I got this, I should have known. :lol:

I just got a VF-0A today courtesy of another user here. It was brand new and I’m happy to report the leg did not fall off when I transformed it. :)

really enjoying it so far. I definitely see why the mold is so well liked - it’s got a lot of improvements from the v2 1/60 VF-1 like the tilting rotation for the shoulder transformation, the nose come slide / double heat shield fold on the chest, etc. I might transform my DX VF-1A Max tonight to do a side-by-side of them.

I know some people were down on the color scheme, calling it too muted, but I dig it. It looks good next to my Arcadia VF-4G, both of them in a more military color scheme than other Macross VFs I have. 

tried to attach some pictures but got an error, shrug. 

5 minutes ago, jasonmacross83 said:

Hi guys, its my first time posting in this specific thread. I'm strongly considering purchasing the VF-0D, but I need to know if it is on par or as good as a DX VF-1 (quaIity wise).  I was aware of the Ieg issue the VF-0 reIeases had severaI years ago.

Any feedback is TRULY appreciated :drinks:

The new 0D PF is SOLID. Not the heft of a DX, but it's solid, tight and locks together really well. It's top notch.

12 minutes ago, jasonmacross83 said:

What about cracks on the hands and hinges? Really scared about that after seeing the photos 

I haven’t experienced cracks in my 0Ss. Even so, the ones I’ve seen with cracks show no sign of them actually breaking off or affecting the functionality. It’s just stress cracks that are cosmetic. 

I personally consider the Arcadia VF-0 to be a better design and better quality than the DX VF-1 but they are both very close. DX has more metal and articulation, Arcadia has better fit and finish resulting in a more satisfying transformation, solidly locking in all modes and feels more refined. 

They are my top two, all-time Valk toys (not counting the original Chunky) so you can’t go wrong. 

20 minutes ago, jasonmacross83 said:

What about cracks on the hands and hinges? Really scared about that after seeing the photos 

The 0S seems pretty good over all. I haven't really found complaints on it. The A and D seem to have some leg falling off issues on some. My D just had super loose legs that I had to disassemble in order to tighten, but no cracks found. The 0A on the other hand had a split in one of the shoulder hinges. 

10 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

The 0S seems pretty good over all. I haven't really found complaints on it. The A and D seem to have some leg falling off issues on some. My D just had super loose legs that I had to disassemble in order to tighten, but no cracks found. The 0A on the other hand had a split in one of the shoulder hinges. 

Clarification, the newer PF 0D does not have these issues. Only the original release does.

33 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I haven’t experienced cracks in my 0Ss. Even so, the ones I’ve seen with cracks show no sign of them actually breaking off or affecting the functionality. It’s just stress cracks that are cosmetic. 

I personally consider the Arcadia VF-0 to be a better design and better quality than the DX VF-1 but they are both very close. DX has more metal and articulation, Arcadia has better fit and finish resulting in a more satisfying transformation, solidly locking in all modes and feels more refined. 

They are my top two, all-time Valk toys (not counting the original Chunky) so you can’t go wrong. 

I have two DX YF-19s. They are my holy grails so far behind the DX VF-1J, Hi-Metal Regult (2 pack), and GX-71 Golion.

Would you rank the YF-19 up there as well?

1 hour ago, jasonmacross83 said:

I have two DX YF-19s. They are my holy grails so far behind the DX VF-1J, Hi-Metal Regult (2 pack), and GX-71 Golion.

Would you rank the YF-19 up there as well?

Honestly, I haven’t done much with my DX YF-19 other than swoosh it around a bit. Excuse is I have the Arcadia YF-19 too an messed with that a lot more before the DX came out. I like them both but I put the DX VF-1 and Arcadia VF-0 above. Regult 2 Pack is wonderful but not a good comparison with transformable Valks. GX-71 GoLion is a pretty damn good piece too and although it transforms, it’s also kinda hard to compare since it is a much more simple transforming combiner. I also personally don’t care for GoLion but still own the toy because it’s just that good. Anyways, the Arcadia VF-0 is along with the DX VF-1 at the top of the Valk toy evolution chain for different reasons, imo. 

2 hours ago, Slave IV said:

I concur 99% of the way. The only difference is I think they're a tie. Both with their outstanding qualities.

8 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Anyways, the Arcadia VF-0 is along with the DX VF-1 at the top of the Valk toy evolution chain for different reasons, imo. 

Yes!

Edited by sqidd

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Honestly, I haven’t done much with my DX YF-19 other than swoosh it around a bit. Excuse is I have the Arcadia YF-19 too an messed with that a lot more before the DX came out. I like them both but I put the DX VF-1 and Arcadia VF-0 above. Regult 2 Pack is wonderful but not a good comparison with transformable Valks. GX-71 GoLion is a pretty damn good piece too and although it transforms, it’s also kinda hard to compare since it is a much more simple transforming combiner. I also personally don’t care for GoLion but still own the toy because it’s just that good. Anyways, the Arcadia VF-0 is along with the DX VF-1 at the top of the Valk toy evolution chain for different reasons, imo. 

Thank you. Glad I'm going forward with this because the reviews I've seen make the VF-0 seem much higher quality than the VF-1 and the VF-4G from Arcadia.  The Regult  2 pack is my personal holy grail though I know I can't compare lol. 

I have a good feeling we will see a DX version of the VF-4 soon. I only hope we get the YF-21 by year's end. :hail:

12 minutes ago, jasonmacross83 said:

Thank you. Glad I'm going forward with this because the reviews I've seen make the VF-0 seem much higher quality than the VF-1 and the VF-4G from Arcadia.  The Regult  2 pack is my personal holy grail though I know I can't compare lol. 

I have a good feeling we will see a DX version of the VF-4 soon. I only hope we get the YF-21 by year's end. :hail:

Well, I wouldn’t say the VF-0 is much higher quality than the Arcadia VF-1 or VF-4. I’d say it benefits from being an evolved design based on the VF-1. It retains the basics of the VF-1 but they were able to make many improvements since it is a later design even though it’s supposed to predate the VF-1 in the imaginary timeline. Arcadia in general makes very high quality products, imo. 

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Well, I wouldn’t say the VF-0 is much higher quality than the Arcadia VF-1 or VF-4. I’d say it benefits from being an evolved design based on the VF-1. It retains the basics of the VF-1 but they were able to make many improvements since it is a later design even though it’s supposed to predate the VF-1 in the imaginary timeline. Arcadia in general makes very high quality products, imo. 

Good to know because I also pre-ordered the VF-4 :p. I do have Arcadia's 1/24 scale Proto Garland and the quality is immense on that figure despite it being on the small side. I have two of those as well and both have ZERO paint flaws/scratches and no sprue marks. One of my gems from my decent size bot collection 

3 minutes ago, jasonmacross83 said:

Good to know because I also pre-ordered the VF-4 :p. I do have Arcadia's 1/24 scale Proto Garland and the quality is immense on that figure despite it being on the small side. I have two of those as well and both have ZERO paint flaws/scratches and no sprue marks. One of my gems from my decent size bot collection 

Those Garland toys are very sweet. Different from the Valks but you get the idea of what the company does.

14 hours ago, sqidd said:

I concur 99% of the way. The only difference is I think they're a tie. Both with their outstanding qualities.

Yes!

As I said before, the sculpt of the VF-0 just flows better than the VF-1. The VF-1 by itself isn't bad, but when I look at the VF-0S next to my DX Hikaru VF-1S, the VF-0S just looks more elegant. Even though the DX's tampo printed details are amazing, the overall sculpt isn't on the level of the VF-0S.

I really wish they'd retcon the VF-1 and with some changes basically make it a scaled down VF-0 with reactor engines. If nothing else, I wish they'd CGI the VF-1 and do away with the anime magic and make a once and for all definitive version of the VF-1.

The VF-0 is slim, has zero anime magic, and yet not only has the backpack sit inline with the engines, those same engines are also about as close together in fighter mode as the anime line art VF-1. All without any anime magic.

Edited by Kyp Durron

26 minutes ago, Kyp Durron said:

As I said before, the sculpt of the VF-0 just flows better than the VF-1. The VF-1 by itself isn't bad, but when I look at the VF-0S next to my DX Hikaru VF-1S, the VF-0S just looks more elegant. Even though the DX's tampo printed details are amazing, the overall sculpt isn't on the level of the VF-0S.

I really wish they'd retcon the VF-1 and with some changes basically make it a scaled down VF-0 with reactor engines. If nothing else, I wish they'd CGI the VF-1 and do away with the anime magic and make a once and for all definitive version of the VF-1.

The VF-0 is slim, has zero anime magic, and yet not only has the backpack sit inline with the engines, those same engines are also about as close together in fighter mode as the anime line art VF-1. All without any anime magic.

Actually, the VF-0 still does utilize some anime magic. 

vlcsnap-2015-07-28-20h42m57s150.png.e382d8729a7cf7495ebd3848177b535f.png

Like where did those side parts come from? Same as the VF-1.

Technically, they did CGI the VF-1 in the Macross pachinko where they remade the intro and did some fight scenes.

Also the Sega Saturn DYRL intro, but you never see them transform in that.

But yeah, overall, the Zero just fits together better overall having the benefit of hindsight and CAD.

1 minute ago, MKT said:

CGI VF-1? Most recent would be when it appeared in Macross Delta as training valks, in VF-1EX designation.

It has been quite sometime though, can’t recall if it ever transformed there.. 

Oh right, it did appear in Frontier and Delta. Only as a model on top of the school in Frontier though I think. It did transform in Delta.

1679015163_deltaep319_14.png.a2dc9ad33767bc48f19f4f479f52dc61.png

18472892_deltaep319_20.png.9818dd168264445260f6c98847f3ddd1.png

57 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Oh right, it did appear in Frontier and Delta. Only as a model on top of the school in Frontier though I think. It did transform in Delta.

18472892_deltaep319_20.png.9818dd168264445260f6c98847f3ddd1.png

Geez Satelight, can you make that gunpod any more oversized? Seems like someone is compensating for something. :lol:

11 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Geez Satelight, can you make that gunpod any more oversized? Seems like someone is compensating for something. :lol:

I think Bandai must have based the DX VF-1 gunpod size off that since it's huge too.

Also, there's something seriously wrong going on with the knees there.

• 7 months later...
22 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Was paneling my 0A before adding decals and like the VF-4 it really does make it look less flat. Don't know when I'll actually get anything else though. :unknw:

51044311843_ed40d2cd66_o.jpg

51044311813_043c56bb87_o.jpg

51044311803_a4ec0a7bf6_o.jpg

51045042781_0c33fbee9c_o.jpg

51045042761_6b2b70133d_o.jpg

You’re very brave to transform that thing into Battroid.

10 hours ago, Mommar said:

You’re very brave to transform that thing into Battroid.

I've transformed it a few times and the leg hasn't fallen off... yet. I'll deal with it if and when it happens. Won't be the first time I've had to repair a valkyrie toy.