Arcadia 1/60 VF-0S & VF-0A

joppewo

yes, usually they are pretty darn fast , like next day it ships out. Guess they are busy these days!

Oh. Did you just purchase it days ago? I thought you're one of those who ordered months ago, that's why I'm puzzled why they still didn't send out shipping notice. ;)

Guest davidwhangchoi

Mine arrived, sadly I'm out until Sunday so I can't test it yet. .. but if it's going to break for anyone, it's me.

alright, i'll wait a bit more :) a few days won't hurt

Yeh, I cracked under the peer pressure around here and ordered one a couple of days ago..it's all Saburo's fault.

I broke down and bought one :blink: The temptation was too great :rolleyes: I have no idea how I will pay for it :o

You mean to tell me that it's this guy's fault? I mean... c'mon... his photos not that good. Hahaha! Everything is in close-up. It's the lens, guys. It's the lens. :lol:

Thanks DWC! Happy New Year to you too!

Some of my greatest ideas have been when I was in the bathroom. :lol:

Funny you ask about the the 0S pics. :D

24058825011_0d097a763e_h.jpg

24033334592_c78b2afdc5_h.jpg

23514634913_5973423c07_h.jpg

24058819361_fde178f29e_h.jpg

23513216554_d88e311652_h.jpg

23513221384_0456e7b4e5_h.jpg

23773616189_75a9bcbccd_h.jpg

23514642053_c1dcd163e0_h.jpg

23845840020_88f4b38daa_h.jpg

23514643023_cd98bee1c9_h.jpg

24033340172_fa5a8362d0_h.jpg

23773621099_1cb642896f_h.jpg

24058825891_fdadf9f7f2_h.jpg

23513229224_1fb8ef33bf_h.jpg

24033351822_33dc3cc52f_h.jpg

24141459465_d7c5181d36_h.jpg

23845841970_4ffbf46223_h.jpg

[23514653413_15b311c6b8_h.jpg

24141455615_b6f47571e6_h.jpg

23513236234_0386db0293_h.jpg

23513231344_3120495237_h.jpg

23514694003_83b077723b_h.jpg

Just kidding, Saburo. ;) That's why I'm reposting your photos here. Spreading Saburo's VF-0S love. :wub:

HLJ seem to be slow since the start of this new year. I paid for shipping on Friday and it finally went out on Tuesday, so they're probably playing catching up now.

I believe they were actually vacation until just this week, actually. Yay/nay?

I think HLJ was on Christmas vacation until the 4th of January.

I just saw the prices on these. Holy crap! I've been out of the loop for a few years. What the heck happened? Not sure if $400 is a good price on that plane!

Funny you should say that. I am currently thinking exactly the same thing after receiving mine and inspecting it. I have discovered that right out of the box, there is a VERY visible gap between the upper and lower halves of the cockpit on only the pilot's right side. I was very perplexed by this, and it was enough of a visible problem that my OCD could just not let it go. Let me show you what I mean.

VF0S%20cockpit%201.jpg

(This is obviously after I disassembled the cockpit from the fuselage.) The gap is much more pronounced when it's attached to the metal rail on which this whole cockpit assembly is supposed to slide when transforming to battroid mode. Curiously, there is no gap on the left side of the cockpit. I had to investigate further.

VF0S%20cockpit%202.jpg

Need good jeweler's screwdrivers to get these. The hole in the nose is deceptively small, and both of these use different size screws. Once these are removed, you can take the upper and lower halves of the cockpit completely apart.

VF0S%20cockpit%203.jpg

Upon close inspection, I have discovered that one of the "plates" on the bottom half of the cockpit is sticking up too high. The one on the pilot's left side is completely flush, but the one on the pilot's right side sticks up quite a bit. Wonder what would have caused that?

VF0S%20cockpit%205.jpg

Here's the culprit. That "plate" is actually part of the landing gear door. It's the upper part of the piece which extends into the wheel well and provides the attachment hinge for the gear door. It appears as if, during assembly, this part was not pushed down far enough into the lower half of the cockpit. I don't think I would have ever noticed one of the landing gear doors being just slightly lower than the other, but the incorrect assembly of this piece really hurts the assembly of the halves of the cockpit.

VF0S%20cockpit%204.jpg

For the sake of comparison, this is what the one on the other side looks like. Because this is pressed down far enough, the "plate" on top doesn't press against the metal sliding rail.

Now, the ultimate question is how to solve this problem. Well, I am thinking that I'm just going to have to get out my Dremel file and effectively file/plane down the "plate" which sits too high. The only reason I consider this is because I won't see the (repair) damage after I reassemble the cockpit halves. It won't solve the problem of the landing gear door being sightly out of place, but I don't think I'd ever notice that anyway. I have attempted without using excessive force to see if I could just push the "plate" down into its socket, but it won't budge. I am guessing that it is glued, but I can't say for sure. The bottom line for me is that this is a really obvious QC issue which should not have happened with something this expensive.

If anybody has any other suggestions for how to solve this problem, I would appreciate your feedback.

Actually, I'd check the way that plate is fitting into the slot, because something is clearly keeping it from fitting in all the way. From the photo, it looks like there's some flash on the forward inside corner where it slides over that nub on the inside of the gear well.

I'd put my money on there being some mis-molding or excess plastic on the piece that's keeping it from fitting. Sanding down the bottom of the plate itself would probably work, but I think it would be a lot more work than fixing the piece so it fits correctly.

I don't know if this error is also causing any problems with the landing gear door, but fixing the piece to fit might make it fit better as well.

yes please! I wonder what we have to do to knock some sense into arcadia...i would thk even the JP collectors want them!

It would be a no brainer just to swap cockpits around and repaint them...i would do it too but only my repainting skills are zero.... :p

on that note i wonder if there is a guide how to remove the cockpits from the zero valks?? I dare not try...

Indeed it would be very easy to mix and match parts to accomplish it. But yeah knocking some sense into Arcadia is a whole different thing entirely.

If one could afford to do so then you'd buy several of each variant and do the mix up yourself but I for one couldn't afford that and my painting skills are not anything near the average they even once use to be.

And I would be too afraid to screw something up on such an expensive toy.

just checked both of mine and they seem fine. But thanks for the heads up Axelay!

Instead of pushing them in further, are you able to push them out and check for any obstruction stopping it from seating properly?

I can't get that part to move at all. I am quite afraid of applying too much force, as I may break the landing gear door or even the cockpit itself. I tried to take a screwdriver and see if I could gently move the "plate" either up or down, but it won't budge. I just feel like it's glued. I do not consider this problem to be any kind of issue which should cause widespread panic, but I do feel like this is some kind of error in factory assembly. It's probably just an isolated incident, and I could totally see this happening if they are being assembled by hand. Still, though, for the price paid, I don't feel like I should have to make this kind of repair. This should have been caught by quality control.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I can't get that part to move at all. I am quite afraid of applying too much force, as I may break the landing gear door or even the cockpit itself. I tried to take a screwdriver and see if I could gently move the "plate" either up or down, but it won't budge. I just feel like it's glued. I do not consider this problem to be any kind of issue which should cause widespread panic, but I do feel like this is some kind of error in factory assembly. It's probably just an isolated incident, and I could totally see this happening if they are being assembled by hand. Still, though, for the price paid, I don't feel like I should have to make this kind of repair. This should have been caught by quality control.

Hi Axelay, if you can, send a pic to mr. k on his twitter. it seems to help:

Edited by davidwhangchoi

To me, from looking at those pics it looks like the plate got pushed down too far (if it was inserted from the bottom) due it going past what appears to be a small tab in the middle. If you can find a small spudger tool maybe you can insert it in the gap,widen it enough to where the middle tab clears and you can push it back down from the top.

Edit: Try showing a pic of the incorrect one without the red circle

Edited by wmkjr

That's frustrating to hear that the entire assembly is glued into place. In the past, the glue they like to use does seem fairly brittle if you can get force applied in the right way, but a piece that slides in like that might be tricky.

My concern about filing the plate down is that it doesn't look that thick, and you might sand clear through the piece, but that might not even be an issue, if the bracket is glued in tightly.

yeah I wouldn't risk it either.. if you can get away with trimming that area down in order to get the forward fuselage to join properly then that is your best bet. And like you said previously, you won't see the altered part anyway so basically you get away with it. Regarding the nose gear bay door sitting flush then you could always shave or trim down the two protruding bits of plastic too unless it doesn't bother you much.

Personally I hate gluing anything! but I imagine they can get away without gluing some parts during production but others might make assembly difficult or effect the functionality of the toy if certain parts are not glued in place. In this case it looks like who ever assembled this particular Valkyrie was approaching end of shift and carelessly just rushed it to get it done before knock off time! This is only simple theory of course..