Arcadia 1/60 VF-0S & VF-0A

joppewo

Maybe because the VF-0 was a technology demonstrator for the VF-1 so it retained the modern fighter design cues. Also it ran a conventional fueled engine until they could get the nuclear ones. The VF-1 was what they learned from the VF-0 so they looked and said "we don't need this to be this size or we can put this more advanced equipment" and designed the plane from the ground up.

If you're talking about just how they look more modern versus the VF-1 then I'd say it's because the use of modern design methods allowed it to be more accurate than 80's drawings.

Edit:jvamacross summed up what I said above but I'm too slow to type and look at the recent replies.

Edited by wmkjr

I am not versed in aviation, but could anyone explain why the VF-0 looks more like a modern fighter plane than the VF-1, especially with the delta wing variant?

This is the reason why I wanted to see a modernized take on the SDFM series. I know there's that 'The First'. But would it be nice to see an updated version of the old one without messing the classic design to much? Like that intro from the Sega Saturn DYRL game. ;) But if they're going to make an anime version of the MtF, I'm all for it. And will welcome for sure any new valk toys that will come after it. ^_^

I am not versed in aviation, but could anyone explain why the VF-0 looks more like a modern fighter plane than the VF-1, especially with the delta wing variant?

You don't need to be versed in aviation at all.

You just need to be versed in the canon world of Macross.

Be it the actual anime and/or the official specs magazines and/or the Macross Compedium.

Then you will hopefully find out that the VF-0 uses conventional engines instead of the nukes in the VF-1.

With that, you can then figure out for yourself why the VF-0 is longer and larger than the VF-1...

imo, it is much more acceptable that it was designed 20 years later. After VF-1, Kawamori has lots of time to improve on VF-1 and other official Variable fighter series. When it is time to design 0, I think it is fair to think that Kawamori has a good understanding what will a Variable Fighter with a conventional technology (with little Overtechnology magic) will look like.

I am guessing that when Kawamori designed VF-1 in the early 80s, he envisioned it as something beyond the fourth generation modern fighters at the time(F-14, F-15) and adding the abstract Japanese aesthetics of anime sci-fi. Then with Macross Zero, he made the VF-0 and SV-51 match the aesthetics of the fourth generation fighters and even included an overtechnology F-14 to show the link in-universe.

Edited by calubin_175

personally I have always thought the VF-1 in many ways does look more advanced than the Zero.. definitely a much sleeker design. The long time trend with fighters has been to grown in size and the Zero being more of a smoothed over with overtechnolodgy design meant it kept much of the size of previous generations fighters.. Where as the VF-1 being a whole new fighter designed from the ground up making more use of overtechnolodgy meant it could be smaller, more compact and lighter yet provide more performance and pack a bigger punch than anything before it! Bigger doesn't always mean better.. I know the Valkyrie to follow the VF-1 were all larger in size but its due to the advent of bigger much more powerful engines and greater ordinance and firepower requirements. Well this is how I have always interpreted it as..

Hopefully this is still test shots and are still tweaking the colors. The other shot from Mr. K earlier had the same colors and he said they are still working on it (from what I could get from Translate).

"And ~ impression but bright I, which successfully painted supervision was over. Since then proceed to adjust the part of the color again, we continue to thank you." pic.twitter.com/oF4S5t3oF8

Guest davidwhangchoi

it's painted and the blue legs are just spare 0D parts which Mr. K said.

but i hope he gets positive feedback bc the color looks nice. please keep this color.

in addition to the new 0A photo

Mr. K posts it's half made of 0D parts and half is new parts

Now Arcadia i would like to know why i should buy something that never appeared on the anime(as far as i can recall the Shin VF-0A only appeared with the ghost booster in the last episode. I don't remember the "naked version", not the shin one at least)...even if the old ghost fits (and i have at least three of them) it won't match the toy, i mean you could totally tell that it's a different generation of toy(honestly not quite sure which one would look like the newest though)...after the disaster of the 0D things are not getting any better.

Edited by Ryoma

Well, to me it is one of the worst looking toy i have in my collection. Especially in fighter mode, it just looks like a big piece of...blue.Plus all the things about being too tight and with the wrong cockpit proportions that have been told by the other users....to me it was really a disaster. Not to mention that what Arcadia promised us with the first pictures was really different from what we got in the end. I guess that is what really made me mad. I always promised myself to write a full review but unfortunately i never was never able to find the time :(

Wow! That price!!!... fool me once YF-19 shame on you, fool me twice VF-0D shame on me! I guess I'm going to be out of this one.