Arcadia 1/60 VF-0S & VF-0A

joppewo

Wow, this news wasn't totally unexpected, but still, was pleasantly surprised to see that Arcadia did have the renewal 0A and 0S in the pipeline!

Looking at the pic below, it seems that this would be compatible with Yamato's Ghost pack as it already has the requisite slots on the fuel tanks:

131-1024x768.jpg

Now I'm hoping Arcadia would go the whole mile and announce the reactive armor set for the 0S. :-D

Not releasing the S and the A in the same month would be wise. It'd sure help us guys out who plan on buying multiples anyway :wub:

Edited by xrentonx

Wow, this news wasn't totally unexpected, but still, was pleasantly surprised to see that Arcadia did have the renewal 0A and 0S in the pipeline!

Looking at the pic below, it seems that this would be compatible with Yamato's Ghost pack as it already has the requisite slots on the fuel tanks:

131-1024x768.jpg

Now I'm hoping Arcadia would go the whole mile and announce the reactive armor set for the 0S. :-D

Don't get ahead of yourself. It looks like it's made with a ghost in mind... whether or not that's Yamato's ghost is another thing entirely.

Don't get ahead of yourself. It looks like it's made with a ghost in mind... whether or not that's Yamato's ghost is another thing entirely.

Well, that's true. Sans an official announcement from Arcadia, it might be pre-mature to assume backwards-compatibility at this point.

IMHO however, it would make sense that Arcadia would make it backwards compatible since they already own the mold for the old Ghost set. There weren't any big issues associated with Yamato's Ghost set so it would save Arcadia a lot of money not to re-design one from the ground up.

I own the first release VF-0S, as well as a standalone QF-2200D Ghost pack, and the slots in the renewal pics look pretty much identical to the slots found on the replacement fuel tanks from the Yamato release.

Also, isn't Arcadia's redesigned YF-19 backwards compatible with the fold booster pack from the old set? If so, then chances are good that the Zero renewals will be backwards compatible as well. Of course, Arcadia can always re-release the standalone Ghost pack anytime.

I guess we'll know for sure following more official announcements. :)

As I recall, Mr. K at Arcadia went out of his way to say the 0D wouldn't be backward compatible with the Ghost, that's why I would hold my horses on that one. Also, we don't know that Arcadia bought the ghost molds from Yamato. We know a lot was left behind... but I think the only thing we know for sure is that the 1/48 mold didn't make the move... everything else is a question mark. You're right though, you can throw the fold booster on the Arcadia 19 toy.

Edited by jenius

It's either backwards compatable or there's an Arcadia version ghost in the future. If not, what reason would they have to display it with those slotted tanks anyways since they only came in the ghost bundles or standalone sets?

Anyhow more pics via B_A_T on flickr:

post-7577-0-14168100-1423644354_thumb.jpg post-7577-0-33811800-1423644377_thumb.jpgpost-7577-0-11119100-1423644381_thumb.jpg post-7577-0-43694700-1423644374_thumb.jpgpost-7577-0-03771100-1423644677_thumb.jpg post-7577-0-03641600-1423644671_thumb.jpg

Edited by wmkjr

The proportions for battroid is amazing. It's less 1/48ish looking compared to the old 0's. I just hope that they give enough time between these two releases cause I dont see them going significantly lower prices than the 0D. And thats not counting Bandai releases that might pop up in between or on the same month.

As I recall, Mr. K at Arcadia went out of his way to say the 0D wouldn't be backward compatible with the Ghost, that's why I would hold my horses on that one. Also, we don't know that Arcadia bought the ghost molds from Yamato. We know a lot was left behind... but I think the only thing we know for sure is that the 1/48 mold didn't make the move... everything else is a question mark. You're right though, you can throw the fold booster on the Arcadia 19 toy.

Ah, I didn't know that Arcadia didn't get all of the old molds from Yamato during the transition. I guess the 1/48's are considered real collector's items now. :)

Not to start a flame war or anything, but for the sake of speculation (which we MWers love to do during any announcement for a new toy, hehe), I'm still willing to take my chances that this renewal Zero release will be backwards compatible with the Yamato Ghost set. Contributing to my educated guess are the following:

1) I'm sure that Arcadia would have more or less gotten most if not all of the 1/60 molds from Yamato as these are currently the most lucrative. It stands to reason that Arcadia would not have risked coming up with the renewal Zero valks if they did not have a long term plan involving the existing molds from Yamato. This includes of course, the Ghost packs. I'm sure they have similar plans with regards to the valks from the other series.

2) Barring appearances in the Macross games and model kits, we never saw the VF-0D with the Ghost pack in the OVA, so Kawamori can get away with saying that its not compatible. Maybe he never meant for the 0D to have the Ghost pack on in the first place.

However, looking at how the Ghost is connected to the first release 0A/S, all that's needed to make the Yamato Ghost pack fit on the 0D is the replacement of the fuel tanks with the ones with the slots. This is the only connection point between the Ghost and the valk on the original release, and -- basing on the pic from Wonderfest -- seems to be the case with the renewal valk as well. In the original release, these slotted fuel tanks came with the standalone Ghost pack and replaced the ones on the valk, which were removable.

Assuming that Arcadia has a similar solution for the 0D however, would mean that the Ghost would be connected even more tenuously than on the 0A/S. In the latter, the Ghost is held in place in the rear of those valks by the tailfins. Not a very elegant solution I would agree. :p

Anyway, I must confess that I have a personal stake in hoping for the backwards compatibility since I already have a ghost pack. Having backwards compatibility would at least lessen the pain that I have to get rid of my old 0S for this renewal release. :rolleyes: So yeah, my speculation comes with some wishful thinking. Hehe!

It all looks great!!

Def gonna get an OA!

Love all Arcadia's engineering ...just hope I don't get the "Chinese factory worker curse" ..haven't bought anything Macross for 4yrs.

I am guessing that they will make the price of the 0S and 0A the same as the 0D.

If they reused parts of the 0D, then it seems logic thay the A/S would not by as expensive as the 0D. Not sure how many parts the A/S/D share though.

It's either backwards compatable or there's an Arcadia version ghost in the future. If not, what reason would they have to display it with those slotted tanks anyways since they only came in the ghost bundles or standalone sets?

Also, the promotional posters show both of them with the ghost on

I always said it would be smarter, business-wise, if they held off on 0A/S announcements until the D was released because people would see the other two and start dropping the 0D pre-orders.

I'm in that group! I have cancelled my VF-0D preorder. The delta wings never convinced me, I only like the VF-0D's gerwalk mode and double seater cockpit.

But the VF-0S and VF-0A will be mine!!!

Ah, I didn't know that Arcadia didn't get all of the old molds from Yamato during the transition. I guess the 1/48's are considered real collector's items now. :)

Not to start a flame war or anything, but for the sake of speculation (which we MWers love to do during any announcement for a new toy, hehe), I'm still willing to take my chances that this renewal Zero release will be backwards compatible with the Yamato Ghost set. Contributing to my educated guess are the following:

1) I'm sure that Arcadia would have more or less gotten most if not all of the 1/60 molds from Yamato as these are currently the most lucrative. It stands to reason that Arcadia would not have risked coming up with the renewal Zero valks if they did not have a long term plan involving the existing molds from Yamato. This includes of course, the Ghost packs. I'm sure they have similar plans with regards to the valks from the other series.

2) Barring appearances in the Macross games and model kits, we never saw the VF-0D with the Ghost pack in the OVA, so Kawamori can get away with saying that its not compatible. Maybe he never meant for the 0D to have the Ghost pack on in the first place.

However, looking at how the Ghost is connected to the first release 0A/S, all that's needed to make the Yamato Ghost pack fit on the 0D is the replacement of the fuel tanks with the ones with the slots. This is the only connection point between the Ghost and the valk on the original release, and -- basing on the pic from Wonderfest -- seems to be the case with the renewal valk as well. In the original release, these slotted fuel tanks came with the standalone Ghost pack and replaced the ones on the valk, which were removable.

Assuming that Arcadia has a similar solution for the 0D however, would mean that the Ghost would be connected even more tenuously than on the 0A/S. In the latter, the Ghost is held in place in the rear of those valks by the tailfins. Not a very elegant solution I would agree. :p

Anyway, I must confess that I have a personal stake in hoping for the backwards compatibility since I already have a ghost pack. Having backwards compatibility would at least lessen the pain that I have to get rid of my old 0S for this renewal release. :rolleyes: So yeah, my speculation comes with some wishful thinking. Hehe!

I would add that the YF-19 re-release also was backward compatible with the Fold Booster. So there's precedent already.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i was the one who quoted Mr. K, about the ghost compatibility. he was specific about the 0d not being compatible due to the design limitation of the 0d but indicated he would like the ghost to match if he made an 0s/a in the future. so it a high probability they will be compatible. arcadia has all the zero molds.

試に確認してみましたが、0Dにはつけられない様です・・・。すみません。 そう言えば設定にもゴーストは乗っかっていないので、その互換性はなくしていました・・・。しかし0A/Sの時はどうにか・・・やりたいな。
Edited by davidwhangchoi

i was the one who quoted Mr. K, about the ghost compatibility. he was specific about the 0d not being compatible more due to the design specifically of ther 0d but indicated he would like the ghost to match if he made an 0s/a in the future. so it a high probability they will be compatible.

I always thought the ghost -either the old Yamato one or an hypothetical new one- wouldn't be compatible with the 0D because of the different placement of the tailfins. I can't foresee a compatibility problem with the new S/A except perhaps for a possibly narrower chest.

I am still surprised they haven't re-issued super/strike parts for the VF-1's.

Quoted for Great Mystified Truth. Can anyone please ask Mr. K about that?

I love that these are in the pipeline. For those of you who own the originals (I'm not one of them) it looks like one of the most obvious differences is the panel lines and crispness of the way it all looks. To me, that's a huge leap in terms of quality. I had a Nora SV-51 for a while and while it was very impressive and imposing, the huge panel lines and floppiness of the thing just made it look inferior next to a v2 Yamato VF-1. This new one looks like it should sit right next to anything v2 VF-1 and newer, no problems.

I wonder if the old ghost will look strange on the new valk, given the difference in panel lines?

I never liked the ghosts parts. I thought it was the goofiest Macross upgrade ever - besides the fold booster fleshlight, or maybe the tornado parts.

To me it's all like, "Hey we heard you like planes on your planes so we put this plane on there."

For me I would have like a more tubular homage to the shuttle boosters from Nasa, but on top.

Why would you make a drone looking ship a booster?

compareshuttleenergiaburan.jpg

Edited by Gakken85

Didn't I read somewhere that it was done out of desperation? The 0 needed more speed or something, and the Ghost could do the job, so it was fitted in haste. Or something.

Didn't I read somewhere that it was done out of desperation? The 0 needed more speed or something, and the Ghost could do the job, so it was fitted in haste. Or something.

That's the official backstory. The Ghost was never designed/intended for the VF-0. But it was physically possible, and the work could be done on-board a carrier, so they did so for the last battle.

On top of all that, the military tends get the most bang for their buck with certain things. If they can re-purpose something they will in most cases especially if it is out of necessity. Also in Mac Zero they did not have the nuclear power plants ready yet so the VF-0 as it was was limited. They had to "over tune" the basic jet engines to get to the baseline that the VF-0 had without the ghost. I don't think there was anymore room to tune the engines for better performance/output.

i was the one who quoted Mr. K, about the ghost compatibility. he was specific about the 0d not being compatible due to the design limitation of the 0d but indicated he would like the ghost to match if he made an 0s/a in the future. so it a high probability they will be compatible. arcadia has all the zero molds.

Thanks for the clarification David!

My Nihongo is a little rusty (and my kanji even more so), but what I understood was that Mr. K does want to have the Ghost with the 0A/0S. While he didn't specify backwards compatibility with the Yamato Ghost, again, it stands to reason that Arcadia would cut costs and use the existing mold, which David says they already have. ;)

That would be great news for all of us who already have the Ghost pack from the Yamato release...as long as Arcadia doesn't decide to exclusively release the renewal 0A/S already bundled with the Ghost pack. :wacko:

Please give us options to buy them separately okay Arcadia? Onegai itashimasu!

131-1024x768.jpg

Now that sure looks nice and solid in fighter mode! no big sloppy gaps visible anywhere! B))