VF-1J “S-FAST PACK” Config. Ver. 1.1 W-St. – 1/72 HASEGAWA MODEL KIT

Andrea

Dear All,

after a long break, I come back to “Macross” universe to make a VF-1 fighter. Since I like to look for the best originality of my models, I decided not to do a standard VF-1 “Super Valkyrie” but a special version appeared on the Soft Bank Publishing “SDF-1 MACROSS VF-1 SQUADRONS

(http://nonsolopanzer.com/2014/05/11/sdf-1-macross-vf-1-squadrons/).

On the pages of this very good publication, it is possible to see the VF-1 “S-FAST PACK” Config. Ver. 1.1 W-St. The underwing double boosters have the duty to give to fighter the power necessary to exit easily from the gravity of moons or little planets without atmosphere.

I'm immediately fallen in love of this fighter and, so, the resolution to make a model of it was taken instantly!

VF-1JS-FastOriginalII.jpg

If you want, you can find more info and pictures on my Blog at the following link:

http://nonsolopanzer.com/2015/01/28/vf-1j-s-fast-pack-config-ver-1-1-w-st/

The first step was to collect the kits required by this task:

The Hasegawa kit not allows to move the control surfaces. For this reason I cut them from the wing and I repositioned them with different orientations.
VF-1JS-Fast001.jpg

VF-1JS-Fast002.jpg

VF-1JS-Fast003.jpg

VF-1JS-Fast006.jpg

VF-1JS-Fast007.jpg

Then, I assembled the underwing boosters using the Bandai set. It’s important to note the great difference between the Hasegawa and Bandai parts. These last ones have a quality lower than Hasegawa and it is so true that the Bandai kit can be considered a simple toy and not a model.

VF-1JS-Fast008.jpg

VF-1JS-Fast011.jpg

VF-1JS-Fast012.jpg

To build the booster extensions distinctive of this VF-1 special version, some plexiglass sheets have been cut and crawled properly. At this stage, these self-made parts are not fixed in place in order to allow to cut them. In fact, until the whole fighter is not assembled, it is not possible to know the right length of these parts able, if too long, to hit the ground as consequence of the rear landing gears higher than the frontal gear.

VF-1JS-Fast015.jpg

VF-1JS-Fast016.jpg

VF-1JS-Fast017.jpg

VF-1JS-Fast018.jpg

After that, I build and painted the interns using Vallejo acrylics colors in different gray tones. Making the cockpit, it is possible to note two great faults of Hasegawa VF-1 kit: the first one is the line crossing the canopy; the second one is the absence of the support for it. As consequence, the cockpit can not be made opened but closed only. I found a solution using a little piece of brass but I’m sure that modelers more experienced than me could make a better work.

The cockpit was detailed making reference to VF-1 technical drawings and using both the Hasegawa and Eduard photoerched sets. No great works are necessary to adapt the parts of this last set to VF-1 cockpit thought released for F-18 fighter. I really appreciated the possibility to detail the ejection seat offered by Eduard set.

VF-1JS-Fast020.jpg

VF-1JS-Fast023.jpg

VF-1JS-Fast025.jpg

VF-1JS-Fast026.jpg

VF-1JS-Fast027.jpg

VF-1JS-Fast029.jpg

VF-1JS-Fast030.jpg

That’s all for the moment.

Thank you for your comments and appreciations!

Edited by Andrea

Thank you very much for your comments, my friends!

The work is hard and long but I'll up to date you constantly.

Chyll2, I didn't understand if you have posed a question, in any case: no, I have not any information about a special launch sistem of this VF-1 version. I think it could be utilised the standard arm but I exclude the atmospheric booster because the connected VF-1 is in standard version, not Strike or Super.

GMK, thanks for your visit of my Blog!

Ciao

• 6 months later...

Dear All,

notwithstanding a long delay, the works on my model have gone ahead. Studying the technical drawings of the VF-1 and the real pictures of fighters like the F-14 “Tomcat” or the F-18 “Hornet”, I finished the landing gears reproducing the brakes and I painted them in grey.

VF-1J%20S-Fast%20031.jpg

VF-1J%20S-Fast%20032.jpg

VF-1J%20S-Fast%20033.jpg

I also increased the details of the underwing double boosters built by myself. I used for this task some old photoerched parts derived from military sets in 1/35 scale.

VF-1J%20S-Fast%20034.jpg

VF-1J%20S-Fast%20035.jpg

Completed the building of the main sections of the model, I painted the metallic parts using the Alclad colors. Obviously, I sprayed at first the black Alclad Primer for the involved parts and the standard grey Primer (Tamiya) for the others.

VF-1J%20S-Fast%20036.jpg

VF-1J%20S-Fast%20037.jpg

I tried to make the best metallic tones variations and I also finished the GU-11 adding the related decals.

VF-1J%20S-Fast%20038.jpg

VF-1J%20S-Fast%20039.jpg

VF-1J%20S-Fast%20040.jpg

VF-1J%20S-Fast%20041.jpg

VF-1J%20S-Fast%20042.jpg

VF-1J%20S-Fast%20044.jpg

VF-1J%20S-Fast%20043.jpg

If you want, you can find more info and pictures on my Blog at the following link:

http://nonsolopanzer.com/category/my-models/macross-variable-fighters/vf-1j-s-fast-pack-wip/

Thank you!

Edited by Andrea

• 2 months later...

Dear All,

First of all, let me say thank you again for your compliments and also for the migration of this discussion into the right category.

Well, after another long delay, my VF-1 model has finally gone ahead with a new step during which I painted the white parts previewed by the color scheme chosen. I would underline that I didn’t use a white color but three different tones of gray. I think that the gray is easier to shading than the pure white. For this reason I replaced this last one with a very light gray. Each panel received three different tones of gray, from the darker to the lighter in order to reproduce the most real effect possible.

045%20VF-1J%20S-Fast.jpg

046%20VF-1J%20S-Fast.jpg

047%20VF-1J%20S-Fast.jpg

048%20VF-1J%20S-Fast.jpg

049%20VF-1J%20S-Fast.jpg

After that, I painted other details, applied the clear coating and, where necessary, the decals.

050%20VF-1J%20S-Fast.jpg

051%20VF-1J%20S-Fast.jpg

052%20VF-1J%20S-Fast.jpg

053%20VF-1J%20S-Fast.jpg

054%20VF-1J%20S-Fast.jpg

I’m sorry for this very small update but, if you want, you can find more information and pictures on my Blog at the following link:

http://nonsolopanzer.com/2015/11/22/vf-1j-s-fast-pack-config-ver-1-1-w-st-aggiornamento-22-novembre-2015/

Thank you!

Edited by Andrea

• 2 months later...

Dear All,

the new year brings with it an update of my VF-1 model. In this case, I have finished the works on the fuselage of the fighter together with all other parts painted in yellow. As usual, I sprayed by airbrush three different tones of sand-yellow color (dark, middle and clear). Of course, it was needed a very careful work to protect all the previous parts painted in white. Each yellow panel was painted in order to make the best real effect possible.

055%20VF-1J%20S-Fast.jpg

056%20VF-1J%20S-Fast.jpg

057%20VF-1J%20S-Fast.jpg

058%20VF-1J%20S-Fast.jpg

Where necessary for a better effect, I replaced the decal of the kit with a paint work by brush (black area in front of the cockpit) and airbrush (the hull red stripe on the center of the fuselage). In each case it was important granting the symmetry of the shapes.

059%20VF-1J%20S-Fast.jpg

060%20VF-1J%20S-Fast.jpg

Then, I painted other details and applied the decals. A final clear coating has closed the works on these parts protecting the colors, cancelling the thickness of the decals and preparing them for future oil colors works.

061%20VF-1J%20S-Fast.jpg

062%20VF-1J%20S-Fast.jpg

063%20VF-1J%20S-Fast.jpg

064%20VF-1J%20S-Fast.jpg

065%20VF-1J%20S-Fast.jpg

As usual, you can find more information and pictures on my Blog at the following link:

066%20VF-1J%20S-Fast.jpg

With the same problem, the profile description:

VF-1%20Decal%20Set.jpg

Thank you!

Looking good! Liking the nose art!

Jefeumon should be able to help with the translation as well.

Edited by NZEOD

That's looking great! Shoot Jefuemon a private message. Find his avatar in a post somewhere, click on it, then in his personal information in the upper right hand corner is a button that says "send a message." I'm sure he'll help out. Sketchley may even be able to lend a hand (not throwin' anyone under the bus). - MT

Thank you, Nzeod!

So, I have to hope that Jefeumon reads this post... :ph34r:

Google translate comes up with this....

S- FAST pack / config ver. 1.1 w- St Apollo tank-equipped upper figure meant was even larger capacity front propellant tank of the wing under the unit, is a S- FAST pack of the type referred to as a strong assembly. The one which is temporarily used for communication ferries between Lagrange points or lunar base, because it is frequently used in the moon Apollo base as a simple booster for particularly obtaining the escape velocity from lunar orbit, also known as Apollo tank Specification It had been.

ahhh to its a long range Fast pack mod. The bottom unit is just a giant auxillary fuel tank and extra booster. It switches out the missile units for the fuel tanks.

It'll be the fastest unit out there in a straight line too. Be a good mod for a stealthy Elint Seeker. No transformations without jettosining the units first though as they will foul the arms in Gerwalk and Battroid modes.

Edited by NZEOD

Thank you, Nzeod!

So, I have to hope that Jefeumon reads this post... :ph34r:

Google translate for the VFX001:

External link VI- X001 01J of decals, Dengeki Hobby magazine these aircraft has decided commercialization added some arrangements to make it awakened was marked for the June 2001 issue and September issue Sample images of the formal setting It does not constitute, it is fortunate if you can use out of the box of customers when you enjoy this decal only Sample images and does not that exactly the same marking Fang original marking machines. 09

Dear friends,

thank you very much for all what above!

I asked the help of Jefeumon and I hope what already done by Jvmacross could help him.

Maybe for the mistake of Google translator, I’m not able to understand all the text but it seems true my initial idea that the underwing double boosters (and its front extra propellant tanks) have the duty to give to fighter the power necessary to exit easily from the gravity of moons or little planets without atmosphere.

I think it is great the idea to apply the same system to a VT-1. I like also the idea of special units for long range heavy recon missions. I’m working on my model thinking to this last one possibility.

So, the text under the decal drawing doesn’t include information about the VF-X001 01J?

I’m sad!

Thinking a Wild Weasel/Growler style fighter would be a cool one. Radar jammers, VF-1D nose for the extra seat/Warfare officer, VT-1 wings for the wingtip pods, Reaction missiles for the picket ships it runs into and the extra boosters to bail out for home once the front door has been kicked in and the path is clear for the rest of the strike force. Painted in Lo-viz

The idea would be for the them to sneak in, blow a hole in the picket ships and run for home. So to assist in this mentality, removing the gun pod for two center line Reaction missiles would make sense and discourage unwanted heroics. Should things get dire they can have the arm launchers on the super packs switched for arm mounted cannons. Transforming into Gerwalk or Battroid mode to use them would mean ditching the pods so the mission would be blown at this point anyway. This way the key to success would be to run in, dump the ordnance and hit the boosters for home asap with no distractions along the way.

Edited by NZEOD

I'm building a bunch of VF-1Ds as successor fighters to the F/A-18 series and E/A-18G. Same squadrons and colours as the current Hornet ones.

• 2 months later...

Dear All,

at last, I have finished the paint works on my VF-1 model. I have painted all the additional parts required to allow the plane to fight into the space and typical of the “Super Valkyrie” version. As usual, I sprayed by airbrush three different tones of the color (dark, middle and light) chosen accordingly to the paint scheme of reference.

066%20VF-1J%20S-Pack.jpg

067%20VF-1J%20S-Pack.jpg

068%20VF-1J%20S-Pack.jpg

For the under wing boosters, I developed a paint scheme that makes reference to which on the nose of the aircraft.

069%20VF-1J%20S-Pack.jpg

After that I have painted the other details and applied a first clear coating to offer a smooth base for the decals. A second and final clear coating has ended the works on these parts protecting the colors, cancelling the thickness of the decals and preparing them for future oil colors works.

070%20VF-1J%20S-Pack.jpg

071%20VF-1J%20S-Pack.jpg

072%20VF-1J%20S-Pack.jpg

073%20VF-1J%20S-Pack.jpg

As usual, you can find more information and pictures on my Blog at the following link:

http://nonsolopanzer.com/category/my-models/macross-variable-fighters/vf-1j-s-fast-pack-wip/

http://nonsolopanzer.com/2016/04/01/vf-1j-s-fast-pack-config-ver-1-1-w-st-aggiornamento-1-aprile-2016/

Thank you!

Hi guys!

Thank you very much for all your comments and compliments! :):)

I'm very happy!

I'm working for you in order to finish this kit as soon as possible. ;)

Please, be patient a little longer. :ph34r: