Display Case / Diorama for 1/60 VF-1

DrEmilLang

So after seeing a couple 1/48 dioramas, I decided I wanted to do a carrier-deck diorama with my valk. But then I thought "sometimes I move stuff around; it'd be nice to have a box to put them away in".

Enter: The boxorama. A carrier top-deck hiding a carrier hangar deck storage area.

I'm mocking it up as a rough sketch in foamcore first; then I'll do half or third-scale blueprints--maybe some light 3d modeling--then I'll most likely put it together from plywood and balsa and styrene. Once I build the box I can detail the flight deck (I'm tempted to buy an italeri 1/72 flight deck to trim to fit, then detail based on the artwork.). From there I can detail the hangar deck at my leisure.

First up, some sources:

Cannon fodder launching:

Ep5 vf1a launching

Catapult detail:

Vf 1 landinggear

Then the rough design study:

Case 649

Case 650

Case 648

The interior will be straight-sided, but I want the outside to be beveled (I'm probably going to add doors to nowhere in the inner walls)
The entire outside will have a beveled "frame", and probably be painted the blue and red of the Prometheus.

Case 645

Case 646

Edited by DrEmilLang

I'm working on measurements and the design of the top and floor plates.

Left to Right:

1. Cut options if I go with laser-cut plywood (trying to figure out how to make my strokes while leaving a solid piece, and how to order them)
  2. Deck layout (top): I've actually changed this up in Illustrator; I've made the cross-deck angle of the catapult 22.5º, which looks better I think, with the 45º angles
  3. Floor layout (bottom) It's going to be a small bay with a closed bay door on one side and three smaller doors (two personnel, on equipment). I wanted some color so I've added the guide-stripes (which'll have bar codes; yeah robots might not need OCR, but, maybe they're old?)
  4. The starting sketch I made while thinking about the interior layout.

Case 654

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm working on the mockup and the real thing as it goes along. Without bracing, the walls have a tendency to shift, or rotate a bit so the top isn't square. So I'm going to have to brace it more than I first thought. Also, cutting all the parts before using is a bad idea because invariably the measurements will be a bit off. So I'm going to only cut parts as I go, and I'm going to have to work from the corners inward, or else the corners come out asymmetrical.

Here's the state of things so far (note: the "top" actually started as the base, but I drew my lines to cut in the wrong place and accidentally made it 2" too short. So now that piece is the top and before I cut, I check against the mockup.

Case 660