Another sinfully fugly JJ-prise, although a very small step in the right direction... the proportions, shapes, aesthetic balance are all kinds of wrong. I actually like some of the Starfleet ship designs in the Kelvin-verse, but the Enterprise itself, including this new A, is a hideous thing to behold; to so butcher the iconic ship that defines Star Trek is beyond my comprehension.

That A redesign is the concept art and not what was finally put to screen. There are lots of details that have changed. For instance the angle of the neck between the secondary hull and the saucer section was increased to look closer to the Prime universe A. The pylons still attach right to the front of the nacelles, however.

^I'm not just referring to the concept image but also to the final design shown at the end of ST Beyond... better than the flying brewery and a step in the right direction, but still a visual insult to the Prime original and refit, in my opinion.

^I'm not just referring to the concept image but also to the final design shown at the end of ST Beyond... better than the flying brewery and a step in the right direction, but still a visual insult to the Prime original and refit, in my opinion.

The designer of the ship was forced to keep the relative aesthetic from the previous films but he openly admitted the original designs were great and they should stick to them. He tried his best with what was already established and I think for the most part he did about as good a job was was possible.

Did they show the engine room of the new ship after the credits? I left before that (can wait for on demand to find out).

It would be nice to have a more Trek like engine room for the new ship. Then again we may never know with the Box Office for the film being what it is.

All of the new variations are still insanely huge, and still cling to the old prime universe refit design cues, even if they mean absolutely nothing in this scale. <_< It is funny though, for all the times I've heard people ask why the original refit Connie's pylons tapered the way they did, I never really considered how terrible it would actually look if they were tapered the other way.

I dunno. I seriously think both Star Trek and Wars need to get to work hiring some people with some clue as to how to develop ships that actually have appealing designs, because both universes seem to be struggling with that these days.

Edited by Chronocidal

The original Enterprise was sized roughly the same as the USS Enterprise aircraft carrier in length, about 400 crew (which I think was only 250 in the pilots episodes?), and I think had between 10-12 decks or so.. this one has that many decks in the saucer alone. And yet, it somehow has the same rough number of windows.... :blink:

Edited by Chronocidal

So, the NX Class of ships did exist in this Kelvin time line right?

I'm trying to wrap my head around the sudden size increase, lol!

Yes. The continuity split occurs after the establishment of the Federation, which the NX Class predates. Also, a model of Cochrane's Phoenix and of an NX Class ship appear on Fleet Admiral Alexander Marcus' desk in Into Darkness. As for the size increase... because JJ's reasons -- ostensibly as a plot device to allow for a larger shuttle bay, and justified by a contrived explanation regarding the need to upscale the ship due to the Narada incursion (the event that caused the alternate timeline).

The original Enterprise was sized roughly the same as the USS Enterprise aircraft carrier in length, about 400 crew (which I think was only 250 in the pilots episodes?), and I think had between 10-12 decks or so.. this one has that many decks in the saucer alone. And yet, it somehow has the same rough number of windows.... :blink:

Are you suggesting that there is something incongruous, perhaps even illogical, with having as many as 4 vertical decks per window? :huh::rolleyes::p:D

While I don't like the ridiculous size increase that was done just to accommodate one scene and the ship is clearly supposed to be about the size of the Excelsior class,

post-265-0-58949300-1472299883_thumb.jpeg

I will say that I think the Original E is kind of small for what I was supposed to do

Good article here about the size controversy of the JJ-prise. http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/new_enterprise_comment.htm

Chris

Edited by Dobber

While I don't like the ridiculous size increase that was done just to accommodate one scene and the ship is clearly supposed to be about the size of the Excelsior class,

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I will say that I think the Original E is kind of small for what I was supposed to do

Good article here about the size controversy of the JJ-prise. http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/new_enterprise_comment.htm

Chris

TL;DR

JJ-prise isn't really that big, people only claim it's that big because of artistic license in one scene that Trek nerds won't let go because trek nerds are literally the worst.

It's been stated numerous times from different people on the production that JJ himself ordered the enterprise to be upsized from its original size to the size bigger than the TNG galaxy class Enterprise. The CGI model was already done when they upsized it which leads to all the outside elments not matching up to the inside.

^ Well, you could almost excuse/explain that away by claiming that the Stargazer was much closer to the camera than the Enterprise, and it was TV. One example I cannot excuse is the one from First Contact where the Enterprise E crosses in front of the Defiant, making the Though Little Ship look no bigger than a large shuttle craft and/or the E appear some 5X bigger than it should be. So yes, nothing in Start Trek, TNG, and DS9 has ever been regularly visually consistent.

defiant-sovereign.jpg

Edited by mechaninac

The Rule of Cool trumps all.

Now one's personal preference determines if you think something is "cool" or not, but the fact remains 90% + of what happens in action and sci-fi is because of that factor.

Now thanks to all of these damn pictures and articles and scale comparisons I'm off to find a suitable toy of the Enterprise E.

-b.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the pictures! I can see now why I kept thinking the pylons were super-thick....the dark paneling detail on the OUTSIDE of the pylons keep looking like they are the front grill detail of the pylons from certain angles in dim lighting. Not too bad, but I agree with Chronocidal, the Font size of the registry is way too big.

Chris

It's good that they fixed the nacelle problem of being too close together and brought back the v shape pylons but it's still an eyesore IMO. The neck is still to far back and even though the pylons are v shaped, they still seem odd being so thick at the base and attack so far at the front of the nacelle. Not a fan of the tapering nacelle either. If you look at the design full on side view you start the see how awkward the design is. The original refit/A design looked amazing from any angle you looked at it. This one not so much.