I think the Pegg movie was Worlds end and the other end of the world comedy that season was end of the world. Any way both were funny, but the Pegg movie was one of my all time favorites. Pegg is a sci fi fan and has worked on some very good films and shows, mostly comedy but i am pretty sure he will help make a more entertaining film. Unfortunately Star Trek fans want serious and not entertaining, so Star Wars fans will like it and everyone else might hate it.

Unfortunately Star Trek fans want serious and not entertaining, so Star Wars fans will like it and everyone else might hate it.

And right here you clearly don't understand Star Trek fans and/or are so anti-intellectual you can't equate fun with anything smart. Star Trek fans like fun, but we like intelligence, meaning and consistency too.

Internal consistency, yes. Stories about more than just "you were born special" like Star Wars, again, yes.

Sorry but no. Prime Directive - not in the first episodes, Shuttle - not in the first episodes, Cloaking device, stole it and forgot about it for the rest of the original series, Photons and Phasers using the same sfx, ability to time travel on demand but not used and never actually explained - yes.

As for stories not based on "You were born special" - if the original Boy Wonder Captain Kirk doesn't count for TOS doesn't count as close enough to make no difference than nothing does.

Sorry but no. Prime Directive - not in the first episodes, Shuttle - not in the first episodes, Cloaking device, stole it and forgot about it for the rest of the original series, Photons and Phasers using the same sfx, ability to time travel on demand but not used and never actually explained - yes.

As for stories not based on "You were born special" - if the original Boy Wonder Captain Kirk doesn't count for TOS doesn't count as close enough to make no difference than nothing does.

Kirk was never a "boy wonder" in the vein of Luke... and certainly not super miss magical Ray. The only time that came up was when JJ took over and confused Star Trek for Star Wars and started claiming Kirk had some "destiny." And even still he wasn't the heir to the Galaxies most powerful space wizard, he was just intelligent and charming and capable and willing to use those things. Your lack of all of those qualities doesn't make them impossible to achieve.

Are things entirely consistent In Star Trek, well, no. But after 726 episodes and ten films (not including the two JJ mystery box nonsense) they've done a remarkably better job keeping things on course than what Star Wars has in only seven films.

And JJ can't even stay consistent within ONE of his own movies, to say anything of keeping things together between the two brainless, pew-pew films he made.

Edited by Mommar

Wow. A Star Trek Vs. The Rest Of Science Fiction debate.

That's gonna end well.

The thing that gave Star Trek a real boost in the really early days in the 60's was the fact that a lot of the writers they employed were proper literary SF writers, some of which had a half-decent understanding of science. That was why, for many of the episodes in the Original Series (but definitely not all) the quality of the writing was a notch above its contemporaries (Yes, I'm looking at you, Lost In Space) and it was a tradition that did hold on for a while in the more modern versions of the show, but by the time you got to DS9 and Voyager things were getting very outlandish overall.

By the time we got to the original series of Trek films it was all completely character and action driven and the reboot/alternative universe films we are getting today are only trying to maintain that tradition. "Proper" science is completely out the window. (But don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the new films)

While I'm mentioning Lost In Space, in some internet press all three remaining fans of that show have been whinging that 2016 is also their 50th anniversary and world couldn't give a crap apparently, LOL.

Wow. A Star Trek Vs. The Rest Of Science Fiction debate.

That's gonna end well.

The thing that gave Star Trek a real boost in the really early days in the 60's was the fact that a lot of the writers they employed were proper literary SF writers, some of which had a half-decent understanding of science. That was why, for many of the episodes in the Original Series (but definitely not all) the quality of the writing was a notch above its contemporaries (Yes, I'm looking at you, Lost In Space) and it was a tradition that did hold on for a while in the more modern versions of the show, but by the time you got to DS9 and Voyager things were getting very outlandish overall.

By the time we got to the original series of Trek films it was all completely character and action driven and the reboot/alternative universe films we are getting today are only trying to maintain that tradition. "Proper" science is completely out the window. (But don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the new films)

While I'm mentioning Lost In Space, in some internet press all three remaining fans of that show have been whinging that 2016 is also their 50th anniversary and world couldn't give a crap apparently, LOL.

I swear I read this last line I heard Robot's voice saying "Danger Will Robinson".

And the fans are right to complain - I mean I watched the show in syndication as a kid and I couldn't give a crap either. lol

Re: Trek, as long as Kirk continues to kick ass and get alien chicks, I'm good. Science-smience.

-b.

To be fair, they did try going the sciency, harder sci-fi route with TMP, and it didn't really get them anywhere. All problems aside, I still really like that movie and it's premise, but the pacing makes it hard to stay awake.

On the other hand, they may have inadvertently invented the look of Apple screensavers for years to come. :lol:

Edited by Chronocidal

To be fair, they did try going the sciency, harder sci-fi route with TMP, and it didn't really get them anywhere. All problems aside, I still really like that movie and it's premise, but the pacing makes it hard to stay awake.

On the other hand, they may have inadvertently invented the look of Apple screensavers for years to come. :lol:

I don't think I agree that they were going with a "harder" SF approach with TMP, but they certainly tried a different approach. I think they got bogged down with a lot of the Special Effects which was a pity 'cause the best thing about TMP was the character interactions.

They put out a DVD version a few years ago that added some more character interaction and tightened up a few things like elements of the special effects and that was pretty good. It's not out on Blu-Ray though because the remastered and new effects were not rendered in HD. A pity.

They did try the science thing in TNG quite a bit, "Neo-Peptide Cake anyone?" The ones I remembered had bad science and were boring.

TOS - did not do science as a plot - it did social commentary which was revolutionary at the time (I am told). Having grown up with "All in the Family" on the TV the need to hide social commentary in a different time zone was long past - but TNG did try that at times too.

They did try the science thing in TNG quite a bit, "Neo-Peptide Cake anyone?" The ones I remembered had bad science and were boring.

TOS - did not do science as a plot - it did social commentary which was revolutionary at the time (I am told). Having grown up with "All in the Family" on the TV the need to hide social commentary in a different time zone was long past - but TNG did try that at times too.

Science Fiction is more often than not social commentary in disguise.

I'd use the word "preaching" rather than commentary in most cases.

Social commentary is at its best when it's subtle. TNG was all too often insufferably pedantic, and seldom subtle. Mainstream PC, etc., were just beginning in the late '80s-early '90s and TNG's writers embraced all it's trappings with a vengeance.

• 3 weeks later...

Is that an NX-class?????

Does look like it, I remember Pegg mentioning something about the NX Class. It was from a io9 article I think!

Edited by Omega Prime

If Justin Lin pulls this off, there is hope for him helming a good robotech movie.

Which makes me conflicted. :p

Huh? So James Wan has officially gotten the boot?

I was under the impression that the ship gets destroyed early on, and the crew spends the movie running around on a planet. Looks like this is going to be the "Insurrection" movie of this generation of Trek...

Well, of course it does. This is the third movie, EVERYONE knows you blow the ship up in the third movie.

After how incredibly badly they did with their take on Wrath of Kahn, I have close to zero expectations for this. The new trailer is doing nothing to inspire confidence.

That was a much better trailer. I just hope that was not Earth being attacked....again......and it was a Federation colony or something instead.

Chris

This is what happens when you dare to venture beyond the Omega 4 relay.

Significantly better trailer than the original. "From Justin Lin, the director of Fast & Furious" made me chuckle; that's not this audience, dude. And am I seeing things wrong, or are there three different Federation ships in this trailer (one of them being the Enterprise)?

The only other Fed. Ship I saw is the NX looking U.S.S. Franklin. What was he 3rd?

The Franklin does not look very good either,IMO, if the initial image of it is accurate. Sort of a cross between the NX and a Romulan Bird of Prey from TOS.

Chris

Here is the Franklin if you are interested.

post-265-0-79362500-1463835594_thumb.jpeg

I'm surprised this wasn't posted here already....it came out months ago.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

I still can't tell what the hell it's about.

"Two years after Commander Shepard repelled invading Reapers bent on the destruction of organic life, a mysterious new enemy has emerged. On the fringes of known space, something is silently abducting entire human colonies. Now Shepard must work with Cerberus, a ruthless organization devoted to human survival at any cost, to stop the most terrifying threat mankind has ever faced."

Much better trailer, actually makes me feel better about the movie. Of course that this came out right before Paramount dropped their Axanar suit is no coincidence. Paramount was running scared that the fan movie would be better than theirs. Will be interesting to see exactly what the deal they made with them is.