With J. J. Abrams now doing Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Paramount Pictures, Skydance Productions, and Bad Robot announced the new director of the third Star Trek installment. Lens flares will now be replaced with neon lighting and NOS.

"Ask any Starfleet Officer, any real Starfleet Officer. It don't matter if it's by an inch or a parsec. Winning's winning."

"I live my life a warp factor at a time; nothing else matters. For those 10 seconds or less, I'm free."

Star Trek 3's New Director Will Be Fast & Furious 6's Helmer Justin Lin

While amusing, those quotes are from the first F&F movie. Lin appears to have directed 3, 4 and 6. Tokyo Drift had some great drift sequences, but terrible, terrible acting. I haven't seen the others (that's when I stopped caring about fast cars).

I have low expectations. But it will probably still be better than most of the original movies.

Edited by Silverstreak

I'm a major supporter of the Fast & Furious franchise, but the idea of one of their directors taking the "helm" of an arguably more thoughtful and substantial story seems wrong.

Can't Angelina Jolie do it instead?

The reasoning for Justin Lin is retarded too, they want the movie to be more like Guardians of the Galaxy... so more f.u.c.k.i.n.g. Star Wars and NOT Star Trek. At least after Into Stupid came out Orci had said he wanted a harder Sci-Fi Star Trek(whether that was true or not I don't know.) Obviously he was overridden, so might as well step into producer mode and make some money off the next wreck.

Voyager was crap, Enterprise was less crappy, but still. Insurection & Nemesis were super disappointing.

The recent two films were fun good action movies with ST theme. As long as that continues, I'm good.

This. But let me go a little deeper. What made Voyager and Enterprise crappy is that they were locked in on rails as to where the story could go and that made them predictable and boring.

Voyager was only going to end one of three ways.

1.The ship never makes it back and leaves the viewer with the feeling of "Why did I bother sitting through four seasons plus of this?"

2.The ship makes it back but takes forever meaning we get a bunch of time jumps and sons and daughters decendants we never get attached to.

3.The ship makes it back using a deus ex machina and the fans say "That's B.S. !"

To make it bearable they should have increased the crew conflict tension. Not everyone had the same background and basically had been trying to kill each other minutes before being flung across the galaxy by the universe's biggest douche this side of Q. That tension lasted all of about half an episode and everyone became the rainbow coalition of superfriends IN SPACEEEEEEEE!!!! When that failed we got mecha boobs in spandex, litteral alien space nazis, and Janeway with Paris making evolution babies. :facepalm:

As for Enterprise suffered because it was a prequel. Its so hard to tell a compelling story when you know how everything is going to turn out. The writers knew this and that's why we got the temporal cold war that never went anywhere or retreads of past ideas done to death like the mirror universe.

Neither series had that sense of wonder and exploration TOS, TNG, or even DS9 had.

Edited by renegadeleader1

I don't understand the ire towards Voyager, but whatever. It felt no less Star Trekkey to me than TNG, DS9 or even TOS but I guess that's just me. Enterprise on the other hand was so poorly miscast and with even worse acting. I couldn't be made to care one bit about their lifeless characters and their crappy ship. And that ending?! Christ man, set your phasers to suicide it was so bad.

Oh and Fast & Furious 1, 3 and 4 FTW...

Edited by myk

*yahn* You guys know they wont get this 'movie' out before 2015, right? JJ is already just saying F*&^ it about 'his time dealing with those retards at Paramount'...

I can kinda take or leave voyager, but I think a lot of what killed me about it was clinging like mad to cliches no one wanted to see, and watering down everything that used to make the borg such a terrifying villain. Well, that, and there was a reason Gilligan's Island only lasted 3 years. I think the only thing that kept it on the air was all the blatant fanservice they threw in.

Insurrection? I didn't mind it too much, because it was just your typical TNG episode.

Nemesis on the other hand devolved into something worse than the most terrible trek fanfic I've ever heard of.

Personally, my problem so far with the reboot universe is that they made all these sweeping changes... And then went right back to telling the exact same stories all over again. :rolleyes:

Voyager didn't ruin the Borg, that was First Contact. But everybody likes that movie some reason!?

Because apparently being a mildly enjoyable action film is more important than completely destroying the characterization and presence of one of the franchise's most iconic villains.

Don't worry, I hate First Contact too.

While amusing, those quotes are from the first F&F movie.

OK, then...

Spock: "Look, just because you know I mind-meld doesn't mean you know me."

Kirk: "You know what they say where we're from? Show me how you warp, I'll show you who you are. Constellation-class. You could never resist Starfleet muscle. [Notices scar] Nice scar. You could never keep yourself out of trouble, either."

Spock: "What else do you know about me?"

Kirk: "About you? Everything. [Grabs Spock's wrist] Like this scar. You got that the first night we met. Kobayashi-maru. Some kid trying to show off, lost control of his ship, wiped out right next to you. You're lucky you didn't lose your arm."

Spock: "And let me guess... you saved me."

Kirk: "No. I was the kid showing off. And here... [shows Spock's scar on shoulder]. You were fighting Nero all over space and got trapped in a corner. And you thought it was a good idea to ram that Jellyfish through his ship."

Spock: "All right, how about this one?" [shows scar on hip]

Kirk: "That's the last time we were together. On that one planet. You wanted to go for a night swim. You cut yourself on the reef. I followed you. I even got this scar to match." [shows scar on hip]

Spock: "Look, I don't know why you're here, but I really think you're over your head."

Kirk: "I'm here for you."

Spock: "That Vulcan you remember, it's not me."

Kirk: "Not from what I saw. Like it or not, you're still the same Vulcan. I saw it out there. I see it right now."

--

Soran: "James Tiberius Kirk, you don't know me. You're about to."

Basically, the borg were never ruined, they were just crap from the beginning.

True enough. I actually pinpoint the beginning of the suck to the very episode where they were first introduced, when we're shown the Borg nursery... they go from menacing to silly in one dumb scene.

Why does everything good have to die? But I will wait to cast stones until after I have seen ST3. Leaving an incredible reboot of a cult classic to direct disneywars is probably a mistake, but lets not be too hard on the guy. Who here would care about what griping whinging fans think when dollars are at stake?

I hope Lin studies real hard, and at least fractionally emulates Abram's style. He nailed it!

You say that like there's ever been a time that they WEREN'T.

It's only thanks to Star Wars that Trek originally went to the big screen anyway. SW came out, Paramount execs promptly said "Hang on. Don't WE have some sort of SF franchise???", the Star Trek: Phase 2 TV series was already in development was effectively cancelled and the work that had already been put into it was upscaled into Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

But you are right, I don't think that Paramount has ever really liked the Trek franchise.

Now now, there's room for both franchises to flourish, or epically fail. I vote for the former.

I'm reminded of a quote from one of my favorite book series 'The Dresden Files'

"“Star Trek?” I asked her. “Really?”

“What?” she demanded, bending unnaturally black eyebrows together.

“There are two kinds of people in the universe, Molly,” I said. “Star Trek fans and Star Wars fans. This is shocking.”

She sniffed. “This is the post-nerd-closet world, Harry. It’s okay to like both.”

“Blasphemy and lies,” I said.”

― Jim Butcher, Ghost Story

One of the few times I disagreed with Harry! Lol! I like both too. ;)

Chris