The Original Ad for the US Macross Release

Gubaba

So, every issue of Starlog Magazine was posted on the Internet Archive recently, and I searched through the issues from Summer of '84 for this ad... This was when I first heard of Macross, and the Takani art totally fascinated me... I ended up cutting it out and pasting it on one of my school notebooks.

(But man... FORTY BUCKS FOR THREE EPISODES...? And people complain about Japanese blu-ray prices...?)

post-939-0-51797500-1419133440_thumb.jpg

I was definitely kidding.

I ASSUMED Gerli was, and was playing off that presumed-fake confusion, dragging the ad further out of time into a modern interpretation where Beta is very much NOT a home video format.

And now the joke is dead. I killed it with words.

I remember seeing the ad in Comico's Macross issue 1 on the very last page..

Not trying to steal your thunder Gubaba I just wanted to share this. I bought Elementals issue 2 back issue and I saw this on the final page..

post-356-0-13396800-1419191007_thumb.jpg

Edited by terry the lone wolf

I remember seeing the ad in Comico's Macross issue 1 on the very last page..

Not trying to steal your thunder Gubaba I just wanted to share this. I bought Elementals issue 2 back issue and I saw this on the final page..

Interesting that that ad calls it a "popular Japanese animated series," whereas the ad for the video tape makes no mention of its origins at all. Just like some of the Robotech promotional material obscures where it comes from (and that it was three series stitched together) but other material highlights that fact.

Edited by Gubaba

I was definitely kidding.

I ASSUMED Gerli was, and was playing off that presumed-fake confusion, dragging the ad further out of time into a modern interpretation where Beta is very much NOT a home video format.

And now the joke is dead. I killed it with words.

Hahaha yes, I'm 35 years old so I know that (Never had one, only VHS) :lol:

Just kidding

$40 for a couple episodes was pretty average back then. VHS tapes of normal movie theater releases use to go for around $100 or so. Majority of people rented movies. It wasn't till later they figured out they could make more money by lowering the cost and sale directly to the renter. Anime tapes brought stateside remained at those prices for even longer.