Movie was pretty much a "meh" to me. It didn't really have any standout action sequences or effects. And the characters weren't anything special either, with one or two exceptions. Say what you will about Snyder, but he directs superhero action way better than Ayers. I do think SS is a better movie overall, but Snyder did a better job with the the action. Especially when you compare Batman's portrayal in this versus in BvS.

Ah well.

Edited by Raptor One

See I never posted it, but I kind of noticed this in the movie when I went and saw it. I stupidly spent money on an expensive Imax ticket for this, and in several of the Joker scenes I took a long look at his mouth and grill and noticed he seems to have teeth underneath it, they're just really, really messed up.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/11/suicide-squad-director-reveals-why-joker-has-grill-damaged-tattoo

That explains the grill, and one of the stupid tattoos at least.

Saw Suicide Squad for date night with the wife. It was well made for a Mtv inspired super-villain film, queue the pop music! Seriously, you'd think was it directed by McG. That being said, WB's plan must be to take their DC films backwards as this reminds me of their Joel Schumacher era of Batman films.

Edited by TangledThorns

Saw it today.

In a word I saw mentioned earlier to describe Suicide Squad - "Meh"

In another word - 'Disappointing'

Pretty sure that my expectations were too high.

Oh well, at least the Ultimate Edition BvS was good.

-b.

Saw Suicide Squad last week and did not like it. It's not a terrible movie, but it is very disappointing. I REALLY wanted this film to be good, to be a real dark take on super hero films. To be it's own thing on its own terms. But it was just dumb, an absolute tonal mess, and had no real guts. Felt patched together, like all the people involved in the production on an executive level had a really big ideological war waged over what kind of film everyone wanted to make. There are times you can feel where Ayers wanted to go and then it was edited away.

They just didn't have enough guts to stick to a single vision. It could have been the first great nihilist super hero film. Like "Escape From New York" if it were a super hero film. They had the perfect setup and social commentary. The Viola Davis character was the perfect villain...she even straight up murders four people in cold blood near the end. We could have had the suicide squad kill her in a great act of defiance or rebellion against the incompetent government, personified by Viola's character herself. Like a commentary on the FBI and their horribly incompetent handling of terrorism investigations. The audience can cheer for these villains then, cause they fought an even worse villain, an incompetent government security agency whose global policies create bigger problems than they solve. Could have been a perfect piece of anti-hero fiction, both fun, disturbing and as irreverent as Deadpool, but with much more to say and a darker more nihilistic tone. A perfect cure to the status quo of current sugar diet of super hero banality.

I think another big problem is each of the characters stories felt incomplete. We were supposed to see A to B to C to D to E, but what we got was A, C, and E. By the time we get to the end, a lot of the character's big dramatic finales did NOT feel earned. And even worse, some characters made decisions for no reason other than the plot needed them to act that way. Very poor character motivations, which I think were a victim of the reshoots and fight that was fought over the tone of this film.

What a waste. It's a damned shame.

Edited by Mr March

Agreed on Viola Davis, her character had no special powers or special combat skills but was still the most powerful character in the movie. That is how they should have portrayed Lex Luthor in Batman v Superman.

What is annoying is the criticizing we have to give for these films and it's just not a good sign for WB that I don't think they'll ever recover from.

I'm now hearing things that Leto has yet to see the film (what about the premiere stuff? Isn't it in the contracts to go see your movie?!) and from what's said is he is very disappointed on how the said film he NEVER saw portrayed him after so long of him filming just for a few minutes of screen time.

So Kings Glaive was sold out and I was offered a free movie for a late birthday gift, so we went to see suicide squad. I mentioned earlier I wouldn't pay to see it, due to the ratings and some of the talk online and due to the fact that no one I really knew well had seen it.

I actually really liked it it was a lot of fun for me and my daughter. It wasn't perfect, but the good far outweighed the bad. It also didn't feel as choppy as most reviews have said. I do think some scenes maybe we're cut short and feel awkward and I have to agree that it looked like Batman was trying to take advantage of Harley and can see how someone would make that mistake if they hadn't heard it explained. There also seems to be a problem with editing in these dc films to the point of directors having to explain things like why the jokers teeth are messed up. Another problem I had was that I hated Killer Croc. I also hated the flash, and his overuse of the lightning. I did enjoy everyone else mostly.I think waiting on this helped because the explanations put things together better.

Anyway again I really liked it and hope and extended cut has added parts to the scenes to put this film together even better.

Agreed on Viola Davis, her character had no special powers or special combat skills but was still the most powerful character in the movie. That is how they should have portrayed Lex Luthor in Batman v Superman.

What is annoying is the criticizing we have to give for these films and it's just not a good sign for WB that I don't think they'll ever recover from.

I don't think DC and Warner Bros can ever get into a position where they can never recover. However, the poor quality of each of these films can lead to a situation in which a significant minority of the audience will avoid future films by default, based on numerous bad experiences to date. All it really takes is for DC and WB to produce one good film and the audience will get on board. I realize that some people are genuinely hating on the DC movies and want them to fail. DC AND WB are never going to sway those kinds of opinions no matter what they do. But the vast majority of the audience doesn't care about petty rivalries and brand battles. We WANT to like these characters. Half the job is already done for DC and WB. All they have to do is deliver and they've got us hooked.

Perhaps Wonder Woman will be our saviour, both fictionally and critically in the world of film appreciation :)

So it looks like no one really went to the movies this weekend and suicide squad is #1 again, but with only $20 million U.S. and that's maybe the lowest I've seen a #1 film earn on a weeken in a while. At least it's not as depressing as poor Ben Hur not even getting second place and for the extreme budget.

• 4 weeks later...

They've been talking about the spinoff for a while and during one of the panels at the long beach comic con yesterday the writer for the Harley Quinn comic (I forget his name) said that after the premier he attended for suicide squad Margot Robie asked what she could do to make her more like his comic in the future.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was definitely the best of the DC franchise, but I hope they learn from those mistakes and do a better job with the story. I think the like ability of the characters may have been what saved the first one for me. So far the DC films have had dull stories and mostly dislikable characters. I did like suicide squad and really hope they can start making overall better films in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

Guess I'm late to the party, but I rented this for a buck over the holidays.  And, y'know what?  I thought it was ok.  I mean, I'm glad I only paid a buck to see it, I don't feel like I need it in my Blu-ray collection, but I guess between Batman Vs Superman being flat out terrible and all the bad word of mouth Suicide Squad was getting I went it with super low expectations.  And what I saw wasn't actually horrible... better than Batman Vs Superman, anyway.

Finally got round to watching Suicide Squad on a flight to UK recently. Have to say I quite enjoyed it. I'd have probably enjoyed it less if I'd have paid to see it at the cinema, but as in-flight entertainment, I enjoyed it well enough.

I did like some of the action and also the dialogue and interplay between the characters. Harley Quinn definitely stole the show.

I'd probably watch it a second time on a big screen TV as a rental.

Am I the only one who thought the Enchantress was hot? LOL