Looking for a Gundam-style Battroid kit

Quagga

Dear MW

I've recently built my first 1/144 HG Gundam and I really enjoyed the experience. Now I'd like something similar, but Battroid shaped. I've tried to make sense of the options out there, but I came to the conclusion that I need professional help ;)

The obvious choice would seem to be the Bandai 1/72 transformable VF-1, but I'm afraid that it is too flimsy/compromised. Now I've read that the Hasegawa 1/72 Battroid uses polycaps for articulation, which lead me here with the following questions:

• Could the Hasegawa Battroid be pressed in duty as a detailed toy, Gundam-style? Or is it too fragile to handle repeated posing?
  • How much articulation are we talking? Could it crouch for instance?
  • Are there any other options I'm missing? Wave models? Older Bandai releases? Unpainted 1/60 Yamato? Though I'd prefer the VF-1, I'd consider later Valkyries too.
  • Or should I give up the wild goose chase and head on over to the toy section?

All advice welcome!

Edited by Quagga

Dear MW

I've recently built my first 1/144 HG Gundam and I really enjoyed the experience. Now I'd like something similar, but Battroid shaped. I've tried to make sense of the options out there, but I came to the conclusion that I need professional help ;)

The obvious choice would seem to be the Bandai 1/72 transformable VF-1, but I'm afraid that it is too flimsy/compromised. Now I've read that the Hasegawa 1/72 Battroid uses polycaps for articulation, which lead me here with the following questions:

• Could the Hasegawa Battroid be pressed in duty as a detailed toy, Gundam-style? Or is it too fragile to handle repeated posing?
  • How much articulation are we talking? Could it crouch for instance?
  • Are there any other options I'm missing? Wave models? Older Bandai releases? Unpainted 1/60 Yamato? Though I'd prefer the VF-1, I'd consider later Valkyries too.
  • Or should I give up the wild goose chase and head on over to the toy section?

All advice welcome!

You can't build a Hasegawa kit like a Gundam model. Hasegawa kits require you to know how to use glue, putty, paint, and water slide decals. They are not for the novice builder and they are definitely not meant for repeated posing.

If you want to step up to learning how to build using glue and paints, I'd recommend getting one of the old 1980's Imai/Bandai kits. Various kits are available in 1/72 scale and 1/100 scale. Most of them are relatively simple to build and cheap to acquire. Give it a try. Completing one of these can be huge confidence builder. Posability is limited though.

If you just want to snap the kits together, apply stickers, and call it a day, you could try the 1/100 scale Macross 7 kits. IIRC only the VF-19kai and VF-19S is available. However, these are pretty close to HG Gundam kits. Pre-colored, stickers, snapfit, and decent posability.

If you must have a VF-1, consider the Wave 1/100 scale kits. These are mostly snapfit like Gundam models. However, some parts are going to require glue. Though it's not recommended, I think you can get away with not painting. You do have to know how to use water slide decals and it is absolutely required to spray a clear coat to protect the decals. Though I have yet to build the battroid kit, posability should be pretty decent.

Edited by Vifam7

Hi Vifam7

Thanks for the reply. As I was hoping, you gave me some fresh ideas

Did you have something like this in mind regarding Macross 7?

[Amazon: Valkyrie VF-19 Custom (1/100 scale Plastic model kit) Bandai Macross 7 JAPAN]

If not, could you please help with a link?

As a kid I built dozens of plastic aircraft, complete with nasty brushed paint, over-glued joints and torn/skew waterslides :unsure: Perhaps I would be wise to start with the Wave 1/100 Battloid and see where that takes me, before jumping in with a Hasegawa.

Edited by Quagga

Hi Vifam7

Thanks for the reply. As I was hoping, you gave me some fresh ideas

Did you have something like this in mind regarding Macross 7?

[Amazon: Valkyrie VF-19 Custom (1/100 scale Plastic model kit) Bandai Macross 7 JAPAN]

If not, could you please help with a link?

As a kid I built dozens of plastic aircraft, complete with nasty brushed paint, over-glued joints and torn/skew waterslides :unsure:

So perhaps I would be wise to start with the Wave 1/100 Battloid and see where that takes me, before jumping in with a Hasegawa

Yes, that 1/100 scale VF-19 kit at Amazon is what I was mentioning in my previous post.

HLJ gets them in stock from time to time.

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN953441/Sci

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN958222/Sci

But the Hasegawa 1/72 Battroid kits ARE 100% snap fit and poseable, just like the Bandai Gundam kits. Even the joints use polycaps / rubber parts. However, they only include waterslide decals and no stickers. Check out the kits and the instructions from Hobby Search

Ummm, yeah . . . that is just NOT accurate info.

While there are some parts of the Hasegawa 1:72nd scale kits' assembly that are snap fit. It is by no means a 100% snap fit kit. (which is why HLJ has it listed as requiring GLUE and paint to complete). Now the 1:100th Wave kits can be built up without any glue, but I would recommend having some at the ready if you want it to STAY together.

@Model-Junkie Thanks for the input: those Hasegawa instructions look remarkably Gundam-like (but way more awesome, being Macross-themed).

@Chas I consider myself warned that more effort is required (i.e. glue, filler, paint) but having given the matter some thought: I've got the Valkyrie fever and I am ready to do what is needed to scratch the itch... :wub:

It seems to come down to Wave or Hasegawa. I'm leaning towards Hasegawa, because bigger is better (or so I've been told)

Trying my best not to over-analyse, what would you guys recommend if GERWALK mode is taken into account?

As far as I can tell this entails two kits for Wave @ $36 each and for Hasegawa three times $20 (both excl shipping)

PS: My definition of "Gundam-like" has evolved to mean that the model is posable (using poly-caps or similar) :unsure:

PPS: AFAIK a 1/1 Battroid should stand ~12m tall, meaning that 1/100 should be around 120mm and 1/72 approximately 167mm. Does that sound right?

Edited by Quagga

I agree with Vifam's reccomendation. I think the brands got confused in a couple posts, but the Bandai VF-19 is A good springboard kit. I've had a couple. They do snap together and transform, but require parts change to do so. They have stickers versus decals and polycap joints and landing gear of the same material. Just my two cents...-MT

Go for the Hasegawa kit by all means. Even if you put some effort in the Bandai VF-19, it will still look like a toy when finished (unless you go all out with it), while the Hase Battroid will look good just using glue and some paint, which you should be able to master.

Here's an out-of-the-box build with a great paint job:

http://www.hobbyfanatics.com/index.php?/topic/41825-hasegawas-172-vf-1a-battroid-valkyrie/

The Wave kits are ok, but seriously overpriced.

Wow, that mech looks absolutely amazing! :ph34r: Obviously I have no illusions that my first attempt will turn out anything like that... JET7's build is a much more realistic target for me, while still looking very cool.

I love the "A" model, IMO the most realistic among the "real robots". How wrong would it be to do a brown Valkyrie with twin (or even quad) head-mounted cannons? AFAIK the lasers are the only visible difference between the VF-1 variations. Looking at the Hobbysearch link (AKA 1999.co.jp) you only get one head with the kit, so I guess I'll have to make up my mind before ordering. Decisions, decisions

Correction, the head-situation at HobbySearch is as follows:

The "A" (no.13) and "S" (no.14, including strike parts) models come with the appropriate heads (€16)

The slightly cheaper "VF-1" (no.10) comes with all 3 head options (€13)

I can't believe these prices... even the relatively expensive Wave 1/100 Battroid is only €27. Soooooo, that is €40 for BOTH?!?! :blink:

Unfortunately EMS shipping cost between €20 and €30, bringing me right back down to earth

Edited by Quagga

Hey Quagga! I vote for the Wave 1/100 kits! They're so beautiful! Yes, they are small, but that just means you can build a lot of them as they take up less space.

I got back into modeling after building a few Gundam earlier this year after 15+ years of non-model making.... then I saw the Hasegawa 1/48 Strike and built it... and then I saw that their were Wave Battroids, and since I have always been more of a Macross fan I built a few Wave models... then I got my hands on the old 1/100 Arii models... etc etc. long story short... bye bye Gundam models :p

One day I will post picks of my builds

@Model-Junkie Even lower prices?!? Model-making doesn't exactly look like a license to print money... Thank goodness that Hasegawa, Wave, Bandai, etc make the effort.

@Millhouse Finally a vote for Wave! Don't be a Minmay, share some pics already :p How posable are those kits compared to a common-or-garden variety Gundam? Could they crouch for instance? (I expect not, but need to know! Managing expectations and all that). Could you perhaps say something about the feel in general? Type of plastic compared to Gundam, etc.

Man, I love the internet, forums especially. All replies are greatly appreciated

hello guys, ..just saw my name being mentioned haha ..anyway as to help the threadstarter heres some pics of wave and hasegawa

wave 1/100

=============

IMG_9002.jpg

IMG_9003.jpg

IMG_9006.jpg

IMG_9026.jpg

hasegawa 1/72

================

hasegawa-jet7005.jpg

hasegawa-jet7004.jpg

hasegawa-jet7002.jpg

hasegawa-jet7026.jpg

hasegawa-jet7016.jpg

again, this is just a quick build ..basic painting and watersliding and some gluing. hase's are not meant to be played like a transformers toy.. its good for display, well you can swoosh it here and there..just have to be careful on the waterslide decals specially if you havent clear coated it yet.

hope this helps.

Edited by JET7

Me being the "maximizer" that I am, I've gone ahead and ordered one of each :D

• 65710 VF-1 Battroid Valkyrie (Plastic model) Hasegawa 1/72 Macross|No.10
  • MC-063 VF-1S Strike Valkyrie Battroid Ichijyo Hikaru Custom (Plastic model) Wave 1/100

Sure we all know that I could have been happy with either option, but my personal demons compel me to *know* that I made the perfect choice, certainly where my hobby-time is concerned :wacko:

What I've already learnt:

• Expect these models to be display pieces and not toys :(
  • Expect water-slides to be challenging
  • Skipping the clear-coat is not an option
  • The forum @ Macrossworld is a friendly and helpful place

Making promises on the internet is never a smart move, but *perhaps* I'll report back ;)

Thanks for the help guys! :hail:

Edited by Quagga

Standalone, we've been drooling over it a couple threads down...

Here's some photos from Hasegawa:

http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/product/25/

&

HLJ link:

http://www.hlj.com/product/HSG65725/Sci

I may add a second one to my order, as I was going to originally convert a VF-1D to Gerwalk, in addition to one in my custom squadron colors. It'll probably just be easier to kitbash with this.

Hmmm, 24 hours later and my order is still "Preparing for shipment".... I paid with "PayPal re-approved Payments". EMS shipping is supposed to take 6 to 9 days (excluding time spent in warehouse limbo). Oh well, a watched pot never boils. It can always be worse: SAL shipping has a maximum delivery period listed of FOUR MONTHS!!! :o

Edited by Quagga

My experience with the hasegawa kits is that you should use glue. Sounds like you have that knowledge under your belt. The hasegawa kits are not that posable, in my opinion. They are fine for slight and subtle pose work, but never will be able to capture anime-esque gestures with the restrictions those kits have. I do not have experience with other styles of kits like gundam etc so I can only comment on these. From watching reviews I can assume these fall short in that department, but these kits are apples to oranges depending on what your intentions are.

Here are two of my in progress kits; both hasegawa 1/72. The large one is a VF-0A, and a VF-1SS kits with the J head from the generic kit. I posed them a bit for you, crouching mostly so you can see where they fall short compared with Bandai articulation (wet blanket term, don't crucify me for generalizing please).

post-22681-0-79499100-1418047517_thumb.jpg

post-22681-0-56331000-1418047528_thumb.jpg

post-22681-0-41871500-1418047540_thumb.jpg

post-22681-0-15256800-1418047552_thumb.jpg

post-22681-0-51783500-1418047506_thumb.jpg

HLJ is typically quick to ship, but they take a little while to process. Keep in mind that it is the Holiday Season, so shipping services are maxed out this time of year.

The attributes I look for most in a kit, are the ability to use moulded in detail to weather and accent the model, fit, and the finished look. That is why I prefer to use Model kits as opposed to gunpla style kits for my display case collection.

I hope that helps!

Edit: re-oriented images.

Edited by modelglue

Hi modelglue

Thanks for taking the time to post those pictures! They do a good job of illustrating the articulation of the Hasegawa Battroid. Now I'm curious as to how the Wave 1/100 compares...(wink wink, nudge nudge :p )

And it has to be said: you are totally right in looking for different things in models and toys. I guess I should have known, given my experience with scale model aircraft and the radio-controlled variety (i.e. horses for courses) but the Gundams threw me off. And then to come across detailed plastic models with articulation... :blink: 1 + 1 = 11 :wacko:

With that in mind, I've also been checking out some proper "toy" options (specifically Revoltech's "super poseable" #034 Battroid - see Amazon - for those way-out anime poses). When comparing the high-definition photos of the toy with the models posted by electric indigo (as seen here) and JET7 (this thread, post #16) the difference is clear.

How far are you planning to go with your Hasegawa's?

Currently I'm highly inspired: I've watched all 13 parts of International Scale Modeller's video series on aircraft modeling technique (Youtube) as mentioned by TwoBad (electric indigo's buddy on Hobby Fanatics) and I'm slowly working through Mr WM Cheng's modelling guides. Half of the fun is in the anticipation...

Just to be clear, I don't expect to reach anything close to perfection, but I intend to have fun trying :D

My order from HobbySearch is underway:

03 December: Placed order with payment by way of "pre-approved" PayPal transfer

05 December: Funds actually transferred

06 December: Shipped (EMS)

07 December: Dispatched from Tokio

No news today, but I suspect that my bundle of joy is already somewhere in Europe, or arriving shortly. The estimated shipping time was "6 to 9 days" so I expect to receive it sometime during next week.

PS - Since my first post I've read up a tonne and the suggestion of Vifam7 and MechTech regarding the VF-19S (1/100) was a really good one, basically the perfect answer to my initial question. I asked for expert help and I got it! If you are looking for a Macross-themed Gundam-style model, I would go for it (given the right price). Even the newer Bandai 1/72 transforming Valkyrie isn't bad, IF you know what you are getting into.

In the end I was won over by the price/looks ratio of the Hasegawa and Wave models and changed my criteria.

Edited by Quagga

Hi modelglue

Thanks for taking the time to post those pictures! They do a good job of illustrating the articulation of the Hasegawa Battroid. Now I'm curious as to how the Wave 1/100 compares...(wink wink, nudge nudge :p )

Ask and you shall receive.tmp_5020-20141208_2020111823295914.jpg

/tmp_5020-20141208_202100-431087303.jpg.html]tmp_5020-20141208_202100-431087303.jpg[/url]
Edited by Chas

Does anyone know if it would be OK to keep all my posts in this thread? Or should I rather start an actual build log in "The Workshop" and post the results here once (if) I'm done? I want to start pontificating about possible colour-schemes, etc...

Does anyone know if it would be OK to keep all my posts in this thread? Or should I rather start an actual build log in "The Workshop" and post the results here once (if) I'm done? I want to start pontificating about possible colour-schemes, etc...

Model Section- Put pics of your completed Macross kits, pics of interesting Macross kits you might find while surfing around, announcements of new Macross kits, or questions of Macross kits.

Workshop- Works in progress. If you're actually building, and looking for steady advice, post there.