Hi-Metal R

joppewo

On 6/22/2020 at 2:50 PM, Lolicon said:

We've all been Bandai'd at some point. 

I can't imagine this level of carelessness directed towards Gundam fans. 

Agreed on being Bandai’d as far as Macross is concerned.  I wouldn’t know about for Gundam fans.  Only bought the ver 3 of the RX-78 and i haven’t even touch it.

13 minutes ago, seti88 said:

img4g.jpeg.1b3d140026aee07488f8e3d33138e516.jpeg

I love the iconic VF-4 FB colors, but boy, am really digging the thin leading black lines on this VF-4G roy..
esp also the black strip UNSpacy in the mix! 

cant stop swooshing it!

Add some "Pew Pew" for even more fun!!!!:D

14 minutes ago, seti88 said:

yes! time to terrorize the cat ...cant terrorize the humans cos the humans ask how much that costs..:lol::lol:

:rofl::rofl:

After 18yrs of marriage (been together for 29yrs) my wife and I did something we should have done a long time ago. We separated our finances. We both have our own jobs/careers so that's possible. It improved our relationship considerably. We have our own accounts/money and one shared account that living expenses come out of. We transfer what we need to cover our share of "community expenses" in once a month and that is that. I don't know how much money she has. She doesn't know how much money I have. It has relieved both of us of the mental load of wondering what each other is doing with their money. On top of that we go "Dutch" on most things. Vacations, dinner, movies, etc. But sometimes we treat each other. Not because we feel obligated by some sort of theory of "matching" or "score keeping". But because we want to. Out of nowhere a few weeks ago she said she wanted to buy me some toys and to go pick what I wanted. A few months ago (right under the COVID wire) I treated her to a weekend in Vegas. We both did those things purely because we wanted to. Nothing more.

Of course she has an idea of how much I spend on toys, mountain bikes, etc. But she doesn't care. And vice versa. She;s quite the Blackjack player. Not my thing at all. If she lost a bunch of money, that's her choice. It doesn't bother me a bit. Not that it's an issue. She keeps track of all of her winnings and declares them on her taxes. She's been impressively up the past 4-5yrs. Maybe longer, I wasn't paying attention before that.

The "wondering" and stress that come with a relationship and money is almost non existent. To anyone that can structure their finances like this I highly recommend it. It's right near the top of the life improvement/happiness moves I have made over the years. Others are having no commute. That is a life changer. A lot less stress, a lot more free time and a massive drop in vehicle expenses.  Another major life changer was learning how to eat correctly for my lifestyle/genetics. Massive quality of life and health improvement. Now all I have to do is figure out how to sleep.:D

That was my long winded way of getting to yesterday. I got about $3000 in toys delivered yesterday. She has an idea of how much the haul cost. And she didn't care a bit. In fact, she wanted to check them all out and see what I got.:good:

My wife isn't a huge spender and while she will sometimes make fun of me for my toys, we make enough money that it isn't an issue. It's just funny because sometimes things that are delayed for various reasons all show up at the same time, even if "ordered" years apart (damn Kickstarters).

20 hours ago, vladykins said:

The Battletech buddies are together.

106218977_10217455697049351_1259522013648634438_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=4YpO-UXlsYEAX8L8R5w&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=ec8ef77460913dead569e4c44fee9c2f&oe=5F1F66A3

106221018_10217455709209655_6533206126004435372_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=0debeb&_nc_ohc=oSnp42fpHQMAX_IyNO_&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=f332d3c726678df8924a13559c31bbcd&oe=5F2006BE

Big thanks to those who convinced me to grab the Dougram HMRs.

Interestingly, the rifleman (defender) is supposed to be a 60 ton mech while the griffin (soltick) is a 55 ton mech, but it looks bigger than the rifleman, same with the archer at 70 tons (spartan) vs the shadowhawk at 55 tons (dougram). Those medium mechs look much bigger than the heavy mechs. Just being a battletrch geek, haha.

4 minutes ago, Guyffon said:

Interestingly, the rifleman (defender) is supposed to be a 60 ton mech while the griffin (soltick) is a 55 ton mech, but it looks bigger than the rifleman, same with the archer at 70 tons (spartan) vs the shadowhawk at 55 tons (dougram). Those medium mechs look much bigger than the heavy mechs. Just being a battletrch geek, haha.

I'll just put the HMR version of Warhammer next to it for comparison and.....

<looks around, starts crying>

42 minutes ago, Guyffon said:

Don't forget the Griffin, 55tons vs the Shadowhawk's 70.

Also needs a Marauder.

But really, when Battletech took the art, they did not keep the relative scaling whatsoever.

25 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Also needs a Marauder.

But really, when Battletech took the art, they did not keep the relative scaling whatsoever.

My Marauder is just off to the right of the Griffin, along with some of the OST mechs. And if you look right under the Archer, there is a Hornet LAM on the shelf below (ok, I know that Hornet mention in the Spider and the Wolf is now non-canonical).

5 hours ago, sqidd said:

After 18yrs of marriage (been together for 29yrs) my wife and I did something we should have done a long time ago. We separated our finances. We both have our own jobs/careers so that's possible. It improved our relationship considerably. We have our own accounts/money and one shared account that living expenses come out of. We transfer what we need to cover our share of "community expenses" in once a month and that is that. I don't know how much money she has. She doesn't know how much money I have. It has relieved both of us of the mental load of wondering what each other is doing with their money. On top of that we go "Dutch" on most things. Vacations, dinner, movies, etc. But sometimes we treat each other. Not because we feel obligated by some sort of theory of "matching" or "score keeping". But because we want to. Out of nowhere a few weeks ago she said she wanted to buy me some toys and to go pick what I wanted. A few months ago (right under the COVID wire) I treated her to a weekend in Vegas. We both did those things purely because we wanted to. Nothing more.

Of course she has an idea of how much I spend on toys, mountain bikes, etc. But she doesn't care. And vice versa. She;s quite the Blackjack player. Not my thing at all. If she lost a bunch of money, that's her choice. It doesn't bother me a bit. Not that it's an issue. She keeps track of all of her winnings and declares them on her taxes. She's been impressively up the past 4-5yrs. Maybe longer, I wasn't paying attention before that.

The "wondering" and stress that come with a relationship and money is almost non existent. To anyone that can structure their finances like this I highly recommend it. It's right near the top of the life improvement/happiness moves I have made over the years. Others are having no commute. That is a life changer. A lot less stress, a lot more free time and a massive drop in vehicle expenses.  Another major life changer was learning how to eat correctly for my lifestyle/genetics. Massive quality of life and health improvement. Now all I have to do is figure out how to sleep.:D

That was my long winded way of getting to yesterday. I got about $3000 in toys delivered yesterday. She has an idea of how much the haul cost. And she didn't care a bit. In fact, she wanted to check them all out and see what I got.:good:

Thanks for sharing! That's an interesting take and it goes against the idea of everything being shared in a marriage but it sounds like it works well for you. For me, I just hand over all money duties to my wife. She knows exactly how much I spend and it has caused issues but we've been working them out.

15 hours ago, sqidd said:

No complains now, but when sparks fly, that itty bitty purchase becomes a bullet. But dont mind me am just being jealous :p 

My partner doesnt care either, but i dont push my luck (we have separate finances). Perhaps its got to do with me turning down numerous requests to go on expensive vacay's, but at the same time buying macross. Plus i brainwashed her to get a honda instead of a merc. Hahaha!

I admit it, macross is my achilles heel!! (i told her too :p) Bottom line for me, dont stir a hornets nest.:D:D

On 6/30/2020 at 12:50 PM, Sanity is Optional said:

Also needs a Marauder.

The HMR Dougrams are about 1/55-1/60 scale (based on the size of the pilots).  HMR Macross are of course closer to 1/90-1/100.  I really wish Bandai would have kept releasing HMR Dougram line.

7 hours ago, easnoddy said:

The HMR Dougrams are about 1/55-1/60 scale (based on the size of the pilots).  HMR Macross are of course closer to 1/90-1/100.  I really wish Bandai would have kept releasing HMR Dougram line.

Ah,now that make sense now, if the dougrams were really 1/100 then it will scale up properly with the destroids.

Hi, I just discovered the Hi-Metal R. I think I'd like to jump feet first into it. Debating picking up the Monster as my first purchase.

My question is does anyone know if Bandai plans on re-releasing their earlier releases like the Regult, Glaug, or some of the VF-1s? 

14 minutes ago, Stranger said:

Hi, I just discovered the Hi-Metal R. I think I'd like to jump feet first into it. Debating picking up the Monster as my first purchase.

My question is does anyone know if Bandai plans on re-releasing their earlier releases like the Regult, Glaug, or some of the VF-1s? 

Based on bandai's track record, re-issues of releases are not the norm. For those re-issued, it will be limited to hero units (ie DX toys).

For HMR, no re-issues done so far, so its quite unlikely. 

The HMR scout regult was teased last year, so that may be your chance to grab a regult at retail (if its ever released).

3 hours ago, Stranger said:

3 hours ago, seti88 said:

Based on bandai's track record, re-issues of releases are not the norm. For those re-issued, it will be limited to hero units (ie DX toys).

The HMR scout regult was teased last year, so that may be your chance to grab a regult at retail (if its ever released).

this-----^

OTOH, while you will see tons of crazy prices for the Regults, if you are patient you can grab some for decent prices (I've gotten some for as little as $120 shipped and I got my missile set for $220 shipped, both waaaaaay less than a lot of the quoted prices. Glaugs are usually more decently priced since people tend to not army build with a bunch of them. The VFs vary- I recommend keeping an eye on Mandarake and The Jungle and trying to get a bunch at once to keep shipping reasonable.

As for the Monster- GET IT. Don't hesitate. Find a price you like and buy it. You will not be disappointed when it shows up. Definitely also grab the Defender and Spartan, which if you are patient you can get for under $100 each.

4 hours ago, seti88 said:

^This. No Macross HMR releases have been reissued...yet. Added to which, Bandai’s HMR releases seem focused on other classic anime properties now that the yellow striped VF-4G is out. With luck things will swing back to Macross again.

Anyway, according to the Tamashii site, only the Dougram was reissued. The first release was in May 2017 and the second was in Feb 2018. 

1 hour ago, vladykins said:

this-----^

OTOH, while you will see tons of crazy prices for the Regults, if you are patient you can grab some for decent prices (I've gotten some for as little as $120 shipped and I got my missile set for $220 shipped, both waaaaaay less than a lot of the quoted prices. Glaugs are usually more decently priced since people tend to not army build with a bunch of them. The VFs vary- I recommend keeping an eye on Mandarake and The Jungle and trying to get a bunch at once to keep shipping reasonable.

As for the Monster- GET IT. Don't hesitate. Find a price you like and buy it. You will not be disappointed when it shows up. Definitely also grab the Defender and Spartan, which if you are patient you can get for under $100 each.

Definitely grab the Monster if you can find one for a decent price. Be prepared for higher-than-expected shipping costs for a toy of its size, though. It's on the heavier side due to its solid construction. For several of us on this thread, the Monster was our "gateway toy" for the HMR line. Once you get it, you'll tell yourself, "maybe I can justify a VF-1A CF or a Destroid, too" and then it quickly turns into collecting the entire line because they're well-built, relatively affordable compared to other lines, and fun to play with.

Prices on sites like Mandarake and Jungle more or less represent current market value, and both sites are very stringent on quality grading (with rare exceptions), so they are great options. I've built out at least half of my HMR collection using them and haven't had any problems. That included a few gambles on "B" rated toys that turned out to be perfectly fine except for some outer box damage, which I don't care about. I saved myself about $100 on a VF-1S Hikaru Strike that way. As @vladykinssays, patience helps. You'll start to see cycles of availability on the sites and if you time it right, you can get great deals. For example, right now seems pretty good. Last fall was a bit of a drought. It took over a month for me to track down a Missile Effects Set at a reasonable price.

15 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

Definitely grab the Monster if you can find one for a decent price. Be prepared for higher-than-expected shipping costs for a toy of its size, though. It's on the heavier side due to its solid construction. For several of us on this thread, the Monster was our "gateway toy" for the HMR line. Once you get it, you'll tell yourself, "maybe I can justify a VF-1A CF or a Destroid, too" and then it quickly turns into collecting the entire line because they're well-built, relatively affordable compared to other lines, and fun to play with.

The above is exactly what happened to me. I got the Monster, was amazed, and it was a slippery slope into all the rest. I resisted awhile because I didn't want "another scale" but I'm happy I gave into temptation. My wallet? Less happy.

Just adding to the chorus for the Monster: it may look pricey due to its weight & shipping, especially in current times when shipping options are limited, but it will be a good buy at the end.

In fact, when compared to other lines like the Metal Builds, the Monster now look like good value.

And I think I just talked myself into getting another one.. :p

2 hours ago, vladykins said:

The above is exactly what happened to me. I got the Monster, was amazed, and it was a slippery slope into all the rest. I resisted awhile because I didn't want "another scale" but I'm happy I gave into temptation. My wallet? Less happy.

I remember when we all warned you that this would happen. You were like, "nah, I can resist the temptation." :rofl:  (very much teasing in a positive way)

8 hours ago, Stranger said:

Welcome to the craze! As everyone else said, I will also say to absolutely get the Monster. Price is still decent I think mostly because people are not sure about the price plus hefty shipping charges but it is pricey to buy and ship because it is a literal MONSTER! The thing is basically a SOC level toy but in HMR because it fits perfectly with the rest of the line. While you are at it, get everything else in the line, including non-Macross because it is one of the most fun and complete lines ever made. 

Like everyone else posted @Stranger, get your hands on the HMR Monster. 

Bonus points for using it as a club to defend yourself in case of break ins or suspected thief/mugging in your place. Just don't break the cannons in the process. :good:   

Man, I found a great price for the Monster but $60 shipping is punch in the nuts! And then my brain says "Oh, well if you also add in the Max and Miryia set, that will make the shipping more efficient." - and I can see how Bandai Hi-Metal R is going to be a problem. LOL