Hi-Metal R

joppewo

The reason I'm making a comparison is for people that don't have one yet and might think to go with only one scale. Also, for people who mentioned that Bandai is going after Arcadia with the HMR line. It's not inherently obvious only from photos that they don't really compare. I personally don't spend much time opening all my toys and playing with them. I'm simply too busy all the time. I still have stuff from several years ago that I haven't opened yet. My VF-4 for example. Even the prior Hi-Metal VF-1S has yet to be opened.

After finally playing with it I can conclude for myself that HMR can't really compete with Arcadia'a larger scale toy. My opinion is that if you can afford an Arcadia toy you should go for it. They should be a collector's priority. The HMR stuff should be to fill gaps in your collection like enemy mecha. Or if you are going for a complete collection and can't spend Arcadia kinds of prices for everthing.

The reason I'm making a comparison is for people that don't have one yet and might think to go with only one scale. Also, for people who mentioned that Bandai is going after Arcadia with the HMR line. It's not inherently obvious only from photos that they don't really compare. I personally don't spend much time opening all my toys and playing with them. I'm simply too busy all the time. I still have stuff from several years ago that I haven't opened yet. My VF-4 for example. Even the prior Hi-Metal VF-1S has yet to be opened.

After finally playing with it I can conclude for myself that HMR can't really compete with Arcadia'a larger scale toy. My opinion is that if you can afford an Arcadia toy you should go for it. They should be a collector's priority. The HMR stuff should be to fill gaps in your collection like enemy mecha. Or if you are going for a complete collection and can't spend Arcadia kinds of prices for everthing.

This I can get behind, and it's exactly what I'm doing with the HMR's. All of the extra Destroids and Enemy stuff are interesting to me because they'll likely never be done in 1/60. However the Valks, which I am still curious about, so far haven't compared to any of the their 1/60 counterparts from Yamato, Arcadia or Bandai themselves.

I also owned Yamato's V1 1/60 toys, that didn't keep me from getting excited for V2. I did state earlier that now is the time for excitement and the time for negativity will arrive when we all know more about the designs and compromises made. I'm sure some people will bemoan color selections, others landing gear details (or God forbid, a lack of landing gears), and some of these designs may even parts-form! You can skip straight to negativity if you like, we'll meet you there in a few weeks or months when more information becomes available. It's inevitable, there will be loud protestations and gnashing of teeth... but for now we don't know enough so YAY!

There's a world of difference between the V1 and V2 Yamato's. There's been no change between Hi-Metal VF-1's. And speaking of which, pragmatism and negativity are not the same thing. I didn't say bandai sucked, but i am saying that their old 19's were bad and we now have evidence they didn't upgrade the VF-1 at all. Maybe the engineering is better, but given they haven't made an effort to upgrade their flagship piece how much effort will they put into the other Valks? Until we get them in hand I'm not willing to call these things 1/60 killers.

I'm not even referring to compromises in transformation due to scaling down. Of course I wasn't expecting a literal shrinking of an Arcadia design. That would be ridiculous. I wasn't expecting anything close to a perfect transformation. I'm talking about the mechanism they did design for it.

My first attempt to carefully rotate the shoulder ball joint resulted in the entire arm popping off. They should have added a way for the backpack to snap into place in battroid mode. They should have included side panels to cover the torso gaps in battroid mode. This would have also provided a way to secure the shoulder attachment in battroid mode. The side hip missiles keep popping off and the crotch armor doesn't fit that we'll on one side. Not to mention the crooked "1" on the chest. Lol! :p

If they made these simple improvements I would rate it higher then "OK". I would still recommend them, but only if you already have at least a Yamato/Arcadia VF-1S and VF-1J. If not I would recommend saving up to get them before an HMR. Right now I'm skipping the VF-1S Hikaru and only getting a Roy. I'll also skip any other VF-1 HMR. I'll still get the VT and VE for sure, destroids, and enemies. And I hope we'll get a launch arm display stand.

I can see that working somewhat like having a few of those super-posable valks standing between a few larger scale ones in fighter mode, and on their landing gear. Not a bad idea really, use the smaller ones for the fancy poses, so they're less likely to fall over.

With the newer Arcadia VF-1 releases going for quite a bit more, and prices on the secondary market climbing, the Hi-Metals are looking like a better option now, but even with the favorable exchange rate, I still have a hard time paying nearly as much for a 1/100 Roy Strike VF-1S as I did for the same valk in 1/60 a few years ago.

Really, I kind of feel like Bandai aren't competing with Arcadia, they're competing with all the dirt-cheap Yamato valks people bought years ago, and still remember the prices of. It might be a while before the 1/100s can stand on their own without the baggage of that flooded market.

Well, to be fair, I think they did upgrade at least the arm/shoulder-hinge thingy to metal in the HM-R line. Chachi of RPA noted it as he stated it was just plastic before.

Other than that, yeah. Not much of an advantage over the old 1/60v2 other than pricing and availability. It doesn't really replace the old 1/60v2 most of us already have.

Even if Arcadia re-do their VF-1 line, it'll be such a high-priced valk that majority will get seduced by the relatively lower pricing of the HM-R valks.

Plus, if Bandai really follows through with it, it'll be a more complete line than the old Yamato 1/60 due to the expanded destroids and enemy mecha options.

I've had - and sold - most every version of the VF-1 out there. Plenty of other VF types as well.

Most recently I had the Yamato Hikaru VF-1S STRIKE+ displayed along with the Bandai Hi-Metal VF-1S. The Yamato just stood there (when it wasn't trying to fall over backwards) while the Bandai was always in all sorts of dynamic poses and great flying angles. The Yamato rarely got transformed since the swing bar and getting the shoulders into or out of place for fighter mode were an absolute PITA. The Bandai got transformed constantly - even though the leg came off each time. The Yamatos are a nice piece for display (great markings and coloring) while the Bandais are fun toys that can also look great on display.

I'm an idiot so I'm getting the urge to have a VF-1S in my collection again. Mostly to have a toy to tinker with and regularly transform between modes and pose. I've decided to go with the Hi-Metal Hikaru Strike since the Hi-Metal was the most enjoyable that I've owned. Especially with the Bandai stands.

I've had - and sold - most every version of the VF-1 out there...

the Bandai was always in all sorts of dynamic poses and great flying angles...

The Bandai got transformed constantly - even though the leg came off each time...

the Bandais are fun toys that can also look great on display.

You, sir, make a compelling argument.

I've been on the fence regarding this line because they do seem small, and slightly "plasticky" versus their 60/55 sized cousins. But I do like the idea of playing with my toys.

Got my GBP today and love it. I'm having more fun with this one than the Arcadia GBP, mostly because this one is just easier to handle due to the size and the fact that the armor stays on more securely. Arcadia's is beautiful but it's really not much fun to handle and pose because armor pieces fall of easily, especially the chest which is held in place mostly by wishes.

I'm happy to have both. The Arcadia can stand there looking wonderful, the Bandai can go 'pew! pew!' and 'swoosh! swoosh!' - and also look wonderful doing it.

Edited by eriku

I welcome the Bandai Hi-metal 1/100 line because it's half the price of your typical 1/60 valk and it is going to have more variety in designs. And like a lot of people already mentioned, playing with the 1/60 valk can feel a little intimidating sometimes. I don't get that vibe with this 1/100. It seems like this is going to be a pretty good price range and size to actually play with this.

When I get my hands on my 1/100 VF-1S Hikaru I'm going to swoop it around the house, throw it against the wall, pound it into the dirt (cause it crashed), and then take it to the bath with me (water landing). :lol: Okay, maybe not that extreme.

Also, just imagine the possibility of creating a diorama with all your 1/100 valks, destroids and battlepods duking it out. With the 1/1800 SDF-1 as the background of course. That is going to be GLORIOUS!

Edited by Reaction Warhead

When I get my hands on my 1/100 VF-1S Hikaru I'm going to swoop it around the house, throw it against the wall, pound it into the dirt (cause it crashed), and then take it to the bath with me (water landing). :lol: Okay, maybe not that extreme.

Feel free to do that with a 1/55 Chunky Monkey and know that it will most likey survive in one piece and most likely undamaged! :D (Of course, you may start developing some rust on it after bathtime but just consider it as weathering! ^_^ )

I welcome the Bandai Hi-metal 1/100 line because it's half the price of your typical 1/60 valk and it is going to have more variety in designs. And like a lot of people already mentioned, playing with the 1/60 valk can feel a little intimidating sometimes. I don't get that vibe with this 1/100. It seems like this is going to be a pretty good price range and size to actually play with this.

Also, just imagine the possibility of creating a diorama with all your 1/100 valks, destroids and battlepods duking it out. With the 1/1800 SDF-1 as the background of course. That is going to be GLORIOUS!

Honestly, I think the HM/HM-R had their same old yen-pricing as the old Yamato 1/60v2.

It's only Arcadia that jacked the pricing up to stupid high...

I haven't seen anyone saying they can buy a new 1/60 now at 1/100 pricing.

I don't think you can even find any new 1/60 at the regular shops like hlj.

Most are most likely sold by re-sellers like jungle or users, and/or your regular scalpers at ebay and yja nowadays. At atrociously exorbitant pricing. I saw somebody trying to sell a Kaki-TV for US$220, and a Max-1j for $720ish the other day at ebay.

The HM-R GBP-1J was available for a while after release, so I think the upcoming Strike-Hikaru will have good longish availability after release-date as well.

Honestly, I think the HM/HM-R had their same old yen-pricing as the old Yamato 1/60v2.

It's only Arcadia that jacked the pricing up to stupid high...

Well, back in 2008 a Yamato VF-1S ver.2 Hikaru w/ S/S parts was what? 12800 yen MSRP? With high yen exchange rate back in the day you're paying 150-200 USD?

The Hi-Metal 1/100 VF-1S w/ S parts cost about 100 bucks shipped, so you are kind of right about this being a bit pricey.

However, I would cast more blame on inflation, Arcadia not releasing more VF-1 stuff, and yes them jacking up the price. Also, the fans should shoulder some of the blame as well. These toys are worth what we're willing to pay. Of course, the downsize to this is toy company stop making Macross toys because nobody is buying them at this price range. The potential good thing that might come out of it is that they might lower the asking price for their stuff.

After the nostalgia wave has ended.....I wonder if the Vajra will eventually make it into the HMR line?

5zgno.jpg

That's really cool, but I don't think I'm down for a Tyranid Vajra toy.

Edited by Reaction Warhead

Is there a back story as to why the Vajra toy didn't happen?

Even before I joined this forum, I'd google for enemy mecha and come up with this image.

I'd get excited, check back weeks later and nothing, which leaves me wondering, what happened to it.

Also, why weren't there ever any Proto Devlin fighters made and sold?

Maybe it's cultural, in the US, almost every toyline has some amount of symmetry when it comes to selling heroes and villains. Transformers has certainly followed this pattern as well.

^I'd hazard a guess that Bandai's internal sales projections were not very favorable, on all accounts...

I'm going to assume because the Robot Damashii line for Frontier didn't receive well.

Thanks, the wisdom of the crowd is always a good place to start. This is one of those n00b questions that has been gnawing at me.

Well, back in 2008 a Yamato VF-1S ver.2 Hikaru w/ S/S parts was what? 12800 yen MSRP? With high yen exchange rate back in the day you're paying 150-200 USD?

The Hi-Metal 1/100 VF-1S w/ S parts cost about 100 bucks shipped, so you are kind of right about this being a bit pricey.

However, I would cast more blame on inflation, Arcadia not releasing more VF-1 stuff, and yes them jacking up the price. Also, the fans should shoulder some of the blame as well. These toys are worth what we're willing to pay. Of course, the downsize to this is toy company stop making Macross toys because nobody is buying them at this price range. The potential good thing that might come out of it is that they might lower the asking price for their stuff.

Minus SAL-shipping, I paid 9710yen for a Hikaru-1S and the FP. HLJ ran out of the single-pack thanks the dorks here at MWF buying multiples, so I had to do separate items. Even so, it was a pretty neat deal despite the horrid exchange-rate and the lack of private-warehouse feature..

In contrast, I never bought any HiMetal 1/100, but I recall that it was almost always near-msrp at hlj back then. Almost no discounts, if at all. It was just not a good deal price-wise and features-wise with the parts-forming, and the tiny size.

Was there even a Strike/Super 1S HiMetal 1/100 back then? Ami says the HiMetal Strike-Roy was a 2010-release.

As such, these are all just perspectives now, but we had it good back then.

The HM-R nowadays are a good deal coz there really isn't any direct or even timely competition anymore. I reckon the exchange-rate is far more favorable to the US$ nowadays, too, compared to back in 2009.

post-263-0-02171300-1446517505_thumb.jpg

Edited by treatment

Transformed my 1J to fighter mode. Transformation was easy. It's as "perfect" as it can be at this size, I suppose.

Fighter mode is ugly. No two ways around it. Mine especially since the feet are crooked. Tried twisting the feet straight but they don't appear to have that range of motion, so it's just shoddy build quality.

This and any future HMR VF-1 purchases are staying in battroid mode, which makes them overpriced Robot Damashii figures to me. :p

Hope the Regults are are of better build quality than this.

Ah.... 2009 was the absolute golden age for Yamato 1/60 VF-1 fans.... they were pumping out releases every month back then! (Which eventually led to their downfall, me thinks)

I rather think it was the 1/60 M7 valks that sank them, rather than the 1/60 VF-1.

Kaki and Max (both dyrl and tv) were lingering in the discount-bin, but damn Hikaru and Roy were always out of stock!

In contrast, all the M7 valks shared shelfwarming space for months, if not years.

The original M7 HiMetals didn't do Bandai any good, either, fwiw.

We'll just see if Bandai re-introduce their M7 valks into the HM-R line.

:touche::5:

Edited by treatment

What sank Yamato could easily be a thread unto itself although a bit of a macabre one. I would vote the VF-17 valks, the destroids, and anything "gnu-dou". As I recall, they also claimed the MacZero line was a bust but that might have just been the SV-51 toys which is ironic since that's where Arcadia is playing these days but it seems Arcadia has figured out the pricing and the demand that seems to exist no matter what even if it costs them pretty much all the variable demand.

Lolicon, are the feet pointing inward?

Transformed my 1J to fighter mode. Transformation was easy. It's as "perfect" as it can be at this size, I suppose.

Fighter mode is ugly. No two ways around it. Mine especially since the feet are crooked. Tried twisting the feet straight but they don't appear to have that range of motion, so it's just shoddy build quality.

This and any future HMR VF-1 purchases are staying in battroid mode, which makes them overpriced Robot Damashii figures to me. :p

Bummer about your feet. Other than that this has been my opinion about the Hi-Metals as well. I'm hoping, because Battroid is so much fun to pose, that the destroids and non-transforming enemy mecha will be good to go too. The 19's weren't so much fun in any mode so I'm still worried that they might not even be fun little VF-4 or 2SS figurines to pose.

Regarding Arcaida's high price game. I think they're pricing their valk that high is because if any of their products hit the bargain bin, it wouldn't hurt them that much in the pocket. Like if they price their VF-0 at 300 a pop, even after bargain bin price it can still go for 150 maybe. So, selling it at 150 they can still cover all the cost + profit.

Tin-foil hat on.

Regarding Arcaida's high price game. I think they're pricing their valk that high is because if any of their products hit the bargain bin, it wouldn't hurt them that much in the pocket. Like if they price their VF-0 at 300 a pop, even after bargain bin price it can still go for 150 maybe. So, selling it at 150 they can still cover all the cost + profit.

Tin-foil hat on.

When the toys hit bargain basement prices....it is just hurting the retailer in the short run...the toy vendor has already made their money once the last case of toys is sold at wholesale to retailers....in the long run, the vendor will start to feel the impact of their toys constantly going on clearance if the retailers decide to scale back on what they perceive to be poor sellers/profit generators....or something like that...

Guest davidwhangchoi

that sucks, i was putting my hopes up into this line with all the announcements... now, i'm going to pass.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Not really related to Hi-Metal toys...

But talking about how/why Yamato went out of business is totally related. :rolleyes:

Besides, we needed this for the drama. I'm doing this for you man. I'm taking one for the team. :lol:

​just ignore me.

When the toys hit bargain basement prices....it is just hurting the retailer in the short run...the toy vendor has already made their money once the last case of toys is sold at wholesale to retailers....in the long run, the vendor will start to feel the impact of their toys constantly going on clearance if the retailers decide to scale back on what they perceive to be poor sellers/profit generators....or something like that...

Yeah, you're probably right about that.