Hi-Metal R

joppewo

Just arrived. I knew it was going to be small, but it is smaller than I expected. Not sure why it is called Hi-Metal. It is over 90% plastic. The feet, shoulders, and leg swing bar are metal.

I think they call them Hi-Metal because you have to be high to think they have a lot of metal lol. :)

In addition to what jvmacross wrote, note the similar box styles between the vintage Hi-Metal toys and today's Hi-Metal R line. For example, they both feature painted artwork and clear cellophane that partially reveals the toy. I doubt it's a coincidence.

Even the subtitle text is the same - such as the "variable fighter super real model" line.

Edited by Vifam7

In addition to what jvmacross wrote, note the similar box styles between the vintage Hi-Metal toys and today's Hi-Metal R line. For example, they both feature painted artwork and clear cellophane that partially reveals the toy. I doubt it's a coincidence.

Strike-08.jpg

nM8pG35h.jpg

Even the subtitle text is the same - such as the "variable fighter super real model" line.

Guess that's why the R = Respect

:)

Just arrived. I knew it was going to be small, but it is smaller than I expected. Not sure why it is called Hi-Metal. It is over 90% plastic. The feet, shoulders, and leg swing bar are metal.

Well, prolly coz like the old 1/55 Hi-Metal, it will almost guaranteed to yellow quickly. See Renato's older 1J earlier.

Could be also the reason why the newer "R" variant comes in grey now instead...

:touche:

:bump:

:5:

Edited by treatment

Would it be safe to assume that the VF-1S Hikaru Hi-Metal R will be done in the same grayish-white?

I was hoping I could display the new Hi-Metal R Valks with my Hi-Metal Skull Squadron VF-1s...Renato's picture reveals just how different the two are :(

probably not in the same grayish-white, bandai have always make the VF-1S Hikarus whiter.

Given the tendency of Bandai plastic to yellow, I've got no issue with making this one in gray. I prefer all the DYRL releases of the Yamato VF-1 for the same reason.

This is the first I've heard of Bandai products having a tendency to yellow more than Yamato products. Which toys have been affected by this?

This is the first I've heard of Bandai products having a tendency to yellow more than Yamato products. Which toys have been affected by this?

There were several threads here in MWF back in the days about the yellowing of Bandai valks. Mostly the 1/55 Hikaru (1A, Super-1S, Strike-1S ) and the G1 Jetfire. Iirc, the 1/100 Bandai Hi-Metal line were also reported as affected.

Something about the white plastic that Bandai used on the Hi-Metal line that triggers yellowing even when stored out of sunlight and never taken out of the box.

Are there any video reviews on this guy yet?

Actually, there is already. If you only browsed the thread a few pages ago, you will see Joppewo's post that includes Dengeki Hobby video featuring Matt.

Here's another one from レオンチャンネル (Leon Channel) over YouTube. One of his haul was the Hi-Metal R VF-1J GBP from 2:02 to 3:44. He also mentioned that it's more grey than white.

Edited by no3ljm