Hi-Metal R

joppewo

Well, I'd pre-ordered the VF-1J with GBP when that was first announced and I really like that Bandai updated the head sculpt on this VF-1S so I guess I'm officially "in" for this line, or at least these first two releases to see if I like them or not.

And if nothing else I can put them at my desk at work and not care too much if anything happens to them.

-b.

interesting to see the use of part swapping for the wings in battroid on this second release unlike the 1J GBP

ban966524_2_1430440472_zpsvagrfo1w.jpg

So this is definitely not part of the transformation? Shame. I've been waiting for someone to figure out how to do that.

The thing about VF-1 is that no manufacturer (that I know of) have gotten the VF-1 Battroid proportions right on a full transformation toy. Shoulders, head, forearms, hands, lower legs, feet (ankle rotation), chest, wings: all or some of these are always so far off the mark that the Battroid mode ends up looking bulky, clumsy and not very dynamic or heroic, no matter how cool the toy looks otherwise. That's why I haven't bothered getting any VF-1 toys (after Toynami masterpiece Max), even though it's THE valkyrie and one of my favourites.

Anyway, I'll take swappable parts over bulky wings any day and will probably get this one and other Hi-Metals, if they turn out good.

Edited by Zonnet

So this is definitely not part of the transformation? Shame. I've been waiting for someone to figure out how to do that.

The thing about VF-1 is that no manufacturer (that I know of) have gotten the VF-1 Battroid proportions right on a full transformation toy. Shoulders, head, forearms, hands, lower legs, feet (ankle rotation), chest, wings: all or some of these are always so far off the mark that the Battroid mode ends up looking bulky, clumsy and not very dynamic or heroic, no matter how cool the toy looks otherwise. That's why I haven't bothered getting any VF-1 toys (after Toynami masterpiece Max), even though it's THE valkyrie and one of my favourites.

Anyway, I'll take swappable parts over bulky wings any day and will probably get this one and other Hi-Metals, if they turn out good.

imo, the yamato v2 was able to get the proportion close in all mode. It is far by the best compromise. The real problem is actually caused by Anime magic, it is real bad that in order to have perfect transformation, manufacturer will need the real over technology

I wonder if you can use the small wings from the VF-1S on the GBP 1J. Didn't the DYRL movie show Max 1S have small wings in the Milia dogfight?

Probably you can. But instead of the red stripe on the wing it will be black stripe.

imo, the yamato v2 was able to get the proportion close in all mode. It is far by the best compromise. The real problem is actually caused by Anime magic, it is real bad that in order to have perfect transformation, manufacturer will need the real over technology

This is very true. Anime magic is hard (or impossible) to translate into real world and I think Yamato v2 is pretty nice overall. I like the idea of having some optional swappable parts though - like smaller wings and bigger hands for example - to make the Battroid mode look more anime accurate and dynamic.

Edited by Zonnet

That is the very reason that I avoid Yamato's line or most transforming toys for that matter. Hi Metal is relatively tolerable and simple enough to be treated as a playable toy.

The VF-25 and YF-29, as well as Arcadia's VF-0 are the only transformables that I like as the original character was CG to begin with, making it easier to translate into 3D toys.

The VF-19 is not too bad either.

Personally I really like this line for its scale and detail. I agree for the price, an Arcadia valk is worth the extra. Yet, I really would like integrated landing gear, I really do not care for the heat shield. From what I can tell on mine, there should be no internals within the legs or nose area that would prevent integrated landing gear. Bandai has already done this effect in vehicles of the same scale with great detail on their XIG UX-02 and UX-03 spaceships; wheels even spin along with wheel well bay doors.

This is very true. Anime magic is hard (or impossible) to translate into real world and I think Yamato v2 is pretty nice overall. I like the idea of having some optional swappable parts though - like smaller wings and bigger hands for example - to make the Battroid mode look more anime accurate and dynamic.

Yamato/Arcadia already nailed that one down even though I don't like it since it looks 'clown-ish' and more like 'boxing gloves' for me. I really still prefer the DYRL hands over the TV series hands. ;)

That is the very reason that I avoid Yamato's line or most transforming toys for that matter. Hi Metal is relatively tolerable and simple enough to be treated as a playable toy.

The VF-25 and YF-29, as well as Arcadia's VF-0 are the only transformables that I like as the original character was CG to begin with, making it easier to translate into 3D toys.

The VF-19 is not too bad either.

Well, come to think of it, VF-0's almost has the same features as the VF-1's meaning even if it's animated via CG, it still has a longer wings than animated 'short wings'. Imagine now if the VF-1's were animated today via CG? It will almost be as identical as to what Yamato/Arcadia did. The only thing that they didn't do right is the proper transformation sequence for both VF's on the pelvic parts which is the folding intakes to the nosecone in which Bandai did on their 1/72 model kits. I don't think it's doable to maintain the 'perfect transformation' method. ;)

Yamato/Arcadia already nailed that one down even though I don't like it since it looks 'clown-ish' and more like 'boxing gloves' for me. I really still prefer the DYRL hands over the TV series hands. ;)

I know what you mean :) It's a little bit about the rest of the proportions as well. This (or something close to this) is what I'd really like to see someday as a fully transforming toy, even if it meant couple swappable parts:

68fbe8b50c356cab6febdab3597b05f3.jpg

One can dream. Meanwhile Hi-Metal R will do nicely.

Edited by Zonnet

When Tamashi emphasizes "new head sculpt" in the ad, it makes me suspicious that they have not really upgraded the figure as a whole, just re-releasing the same old thing. It would be a shame that with all the advances in CAD design, manufacturing and improved joints, that they would not take the opportunity to make a whole new toy like Arcadia/Yamato does with new versions.

I won't be all in on these until I have one in my hand to test.

I know what you mean :) It's a little bit about the rest of the proportions as well. This (or something close to this) is what I'd really like to see someday as a fully transforming toy, even if it meant couple swappable parts:

Hey I have that very same paint scheme on a v2 1/60! :p

Hmmm that gun pod's stowable stock is interesting.. :huh:

first time i saw this.

is it a revoltech or a model general release?

or a custom?

Hopefully that paint job isn't final. The fast packs are too light and the skull on the heatshield is off center. Other than that, I'm loving the new 1S head scuplt. I also like how they're throwing in a saluting hand. I never had a problem with the wings in battroid mode, but it's nice that they're including optional small wings for those who'd prefer them over the stock wings.