Hi-Metal R

joppewo

7 hours ago, sqidd said:

Only six more to go!!!:p

Which six?

Are these VF-1S battroids on your list?  I do not see them in your Focker Family group shot?  I thought you had just wanted to create a "history" of Kanzen Henkei VF-1S's but it looks like that plan has evolved.

large.20200509_193906.jpg.da71b637f435ea

large.20200429_222622.jpg.cbefb3738ab8f8

large.20200426_221512.jpg.c6297c0632d811

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

Which six?

Are these VF-1S battroids on your list?  I do not see them in your Focker Family group shot?  I thought you had just wanted to create a "history" of Kanzen Henkei VF-1S's but it looks like that plan has evolved.

large.20200509_193906.jpg.da71b637f435ea

large.20200429_222622.jpg.cbefb3738ab8f8

large.20200426_221512.jpg.c6297c0632d811

The 1/144 Takatoku is on the list. But I can't find one.:( I can't find the 1/100 Takatoku either.:(:(

What are the next two? I haven't seen those. I wouldn't know what to search for.

The evolution thing fell flat. It didn't display well. What it needs to look right is a wall cab about 14-15" tall and about 8' wide so the evolution is all on one shelf from left to right. If I had the room for it I would have chased it harder, but I don't. I'll have room in my next house for something like that. Then I'll re-visit it. For now the Focker army is pretty fun!:D

3 hours ago, sqidd said:

The 1/144 Takatoku is on the list. But I can't find one.:( I can't find the 1/100 Takatoku either.:(:(

What are the next two? I haven't seen those. I wouldn't know what to search for.

The evolution thing fell flat. It didn't display well. What it needs to look right is a wall cab about 14-15" tall and about 8' wide so the evolution is all on one shelf from left to right. If I had the room for it I would have chased it harder, but I don't. I'll have room in my next house for something like that. Then I'll re-visit it. For now the Focker army is pretty fun!:D

OK, so you need the Takatoku 1/144 Macross Collection Series VF-1S, the Takatoku Small Vinyl VF-1S, the Takatoku Large Vinyl VF-1S, and the Takatoku VF-1S Henkei Type....time to update that wanted list....you are officially playing the long game....

I think you said you do not want any SD in the VF-1S army, but does that also inlcude non-SD Keshigomu figures?  These will not be painted to show off the Focker Special colors, but I do see that you have included the Absolute Chogokin VF-1S, so not sure what your VF-1S army inclusion parameters are? :unknw:

What about the 2 Focker Battroids from this set...TV and DYRL Strike?

large.2139461885_MacrossSeikaNoteSharpen

Ready to find out what's below the bottom of the rabbit hole?....

1*3wVYz3cetZqy2GughF9Obw.png

@sqidd You have the HM and HMR VF-1S Roy and multiple versions in 1/60 from Yamato and Arcadia.  Will you be adding the Bandai 1/55 reissue VF-1S Roy?  It was more grey compared to the 1/55 VF-1S Hikaru Super Valkyrie.

3 hours ago, jvmacross said:

OK, so you need the Takatoku 1/144 Macross Collection Series VF-1S, the Takatoku Small Vinyl VF-1S, the Takatoku Large Vinyl VF-1S, and the Takatoku VF-1S Henkei Type....time to update that wanted list....you are officially playing the long game....

I think you said you do not want any SD in the VF-1S army, but does that also inlcude non-SD Keshigomu figures?  These will not be painted to show off the Focker Special colors, but I do see that you have included the Absolute Chogokin VF-1S, so not sure what your VF-1S army inclusion parameters are? :unknw:

What about the 2 Focker Battroids from this set...TV and DYRL Strike?

Ready to find out what's below the bottom of the rabbit hole?....

1*3wVYz3cetZqy2GughF9Obw.png

Red pill please!!!:hail:I don't do the completest thing except for this. I want to do the crap out of it.

I'm currently on the hunt for:

-Takatoku VF-1S 1/100 "Mini Chunky". Can't find one anywhere and I have put WTB ads up all over the place.

-Takatoku VF-1S Henkei. Same deal, can't find one.

-Yamato Variable Fighter Collection #2. Same deal, can't find one.

I have the following inbound. Stuck somewhere in the shipping ether:

-Bandai Mission Gashapon (Third Mission).

I don't know what these are/didn't know about the:

-Takatoku Small Vinyl VF-1S, Do you have a suggestion on how to search for these other than Takatoku VF-1S? I don't even know what it looks like.

-Takatoku Large Vinyl VF-1S. Do you have a suggestion on how to search for these other than Takatoku VF-1S? I don't even know what it looks like.

-Non SD Keshigomu figures. I just found one of these. It's red. And a VF-1J. I'm not into that. The Absolute Chogokin got a pass because it's metal. And who doesn't like metal?:D

-I want these for sure. What set is that?

Thank you!!!:hail::hi:

3 hours ago, sh9000 said:

@sqidd You have the HM and HMR VF-1S Roy and multiple versions in 1/60 from Yamato and Arcadia.  Will you be adding the Bandai 1/55 reissue VF-1S Roy?  It was more grey compared to the 1/55 VF-1S Hikaru Super Valkyrie.

Yeah, I need to dig another one up. My "real" Focker display has one in it. I got them mixed up though. The re-issue is the grey-er one? If I remember correctly I got the re-issue and the armor separately. Jenius helped me pick the armor off eBay (thanks @jenius). The re-issue didn't come with armor correct??? Or did it come with and without? I'll have to be careful doing that again. Something about the arm armors being different??? I'm going to have to study Anymoon again. I can't remember what comes in what box. EDIT:

Is this the darker grey re-issue with the Supers?

Bandai-Super-VF-1S-2002-1.jpg

Or is this it?

Bandai-Super-1S-1.jpg

Thanks!!!

Edited by sqidd

8 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Red pill please!!!:hail:I don't do the completest thing except for this. I want to do the crap out of it.

I'm currently on the hunt for:

-Takatoku VF-1S 1/100 "Mini Chunky". Can't find one anywhere and I have put WTB ads up all over the place.

-Takatoku VF-1S Henkei. Same deal, can't find one.

-Yamato Variable Fighter Collection #2. Same deal, can't find one.

I have the following inbound. Stuck somewhere in the shipping ether:

-Bandai Mission Gashapon (Third Mission).

I don't know what these are/didn't know about the:

-Takatoku Small Vinyl VF-1S, Do you have a suggestion on how to search for these other than Takatoku VF-1S? I don't even know what it looks like.

-Takatoku Large Vinyl VF-1S. Do you have a suggestion on how to search for these other than Takatoku VF-1S? I don't even know what it looks like.

-Non SD Keshigomu figures. I just found one of these. It's red. And a VF-1J. I'm not into that. The Absolute Chogokin got a pass because it's metal. And who doesn't like metal?:D

-I want these for sure. What set is that?

The

Thank you!!!:hail::hi:

The mini figs are actually pencil sharpeners from a long-time purveyor of Macross stationery items....Seika....they basically are blind boxed..the good news is that buying an entire set guarantees you get the ones pictured on the boxes....luckily for you, the 2 you need come in the same box set!....the bad news is that there were 20 figs + 2 chase figures....meaning you had to buy multiple sets to make sure you were able to "Catch 'em All!"....there is one on ebay now, but there is no way of finding out if it contains the 2 little Fockers you need since it appears the box is sealed.....I may have some extras of the 2 Fockers, but it would take some time to find them in my archives.... 

large.824737948_MacrossSeikaNoteSharpene

large.1277434826_MacrossSeikaNoteSharpen

large.912071982_MacrossSeikaNoteSharpene

As for the Takatoku vinyls, henkeis, and 1/100 VF-1S's......patience is the only thing I can advise you with.....to give you some perspective, the small VF-1S vinyl figurine was only released as part of the 4-pack set I posted.....so, in short, it is extremely rare....I have seen some come up individually on auction, but be prepared to "assume the hard core collector's position" to acquire it.....that goes double for the Takatoku VF-1S 1/100....triple for the large Takatoku VF-1S vinyl.....maybe just forget everything I said and take the blue pill and adjust your parameters....you think a Takatoku VF-1S henkei is a hard target....try a Super VF-1S henkei.... 

large.gallery_12176_633_809485.jpg.718e4

6 hours ago, jvmacross said:

.I may have some extras of the 2 Fockers, but it would take some time to find them in my archives.... 

As for the Takatoku vinyls, henkeis, and 1/100 VF-1S's......patience is the only thing I can advise you with.....to give you some perspective, the small VF-1S vinyl figurine was only released as part of the 4-pack set I posted.....so, in short, it is extremely rare....I have seen some come up individually on auction, but be prepared to "assume the hard core collector's position" to acquire it.....that goes double for the Takatoku VF-1S 1/100....triple for the large Takatoku VF-1S vinyl.....maybe just forget everything I said and take the blue pill and adjust your parameters....you think a Takatoku VF-1S henkei is a hard target....try a Super VF-1S henkei.... 

If you find the time to check to see if you have those I would appreciate it.

I'm not going hard core on these. I'l live if I can't find them. I did just put them on my Mandy wish list and checked Yahoo Auctions JP. I'll just keep looking. If I find them, cool. If I don't, still cool. 

Thanks!:hi:

EDIT:

Which one is this?

large.gallery_12176_633_809485.jpg.718e4

Edited by sqidd

Update for anyone curious or if someone has similar situation. I had purchased a Monster from FromJapan. When I purchased, I put in the Monster's box's dimensions in their shipping estimate calculator, it said Surface shipping would cost about $40. 

Once purchased, FromJapan said the shipping box would be twice as long as the Monster's box (61cm vs 30 cm) and not eligible for Surface. FedEx would cost $140. 

I emailed them - at first they said the packing materials to keep it safe required a large box. I let them know I was ok with less packing material (I dont care about the box being protected), and they let me know they would tell their warehouse to pack in a smaller box eligible for Surface and send me an update on new prices.

New shipping came in: They are now using a 38cm x 38 x 34 box. Surface shipping is $35 and FedEx is $89.  

I want to thank FromJapan for working with me and having responsive customer service. I def will use them again.

Now, I just need to decide between Surface and FedEx. Surface takes 2-3 months right now - I don't mind the wait, but more worried about if it gets lost as I would hate to bother FromJapan with more problems. Anyone know if Surface comes with insurance and tracking? 

11 minutes ago, Stranger said:

Update for anyone curious or if someone has similar situation. I had purchased a Monster from FromJapan. When I purchased, I put in the Monster's box's dimensions in their shipping estimate calculator, it said Surface shipping would cost about $40. 

Once purchased, FromJapan said the shipping box would be twice as long as the Monster's box (61cm vs 30 cm) and not eligible for Surface. FedEx would cost $140. 

I emailed them - at first they said the packing materials to keep it safe required a large box. I let them know I was ok with less packing material (I dont care about the box being protected), and they let me know they would tell their warehouse to pack in a smaller box eligible for Surface and send me an update on new prices.

New shipping came in: They are now using a 38cm x 38 x 34 box. Surface shipping is $35 and FedEx is $89.  

I want to thank FromJapan for working with me and having responsive customer service. I def will use them again.

Now, I just need to decide between Surface and FedEx. Surface takes 2-3 months right now - I don't mind the wait, but more worried about if it gets lost as I would hate to bother FromJapan with more problems. Anyone know if Surface comes with insurance and tracking? 

Surface has insurance and tracking but I think the insurance is very limited...not sure the amount. I wouldn't pay the extra for Fedex and have always had great experience with Surface.

47 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Surface has insurance and tracking but I think the insurance is very limited...not sure the amount. I wouldn't pay the extra for Fedex and have always had great experience with Surface.

Do you sit on the NY AND United Conglomeration Of Surface Shipping boards?!:rofl:

I gotta get me one of theses gigs!:D

5 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Do you sit on the NY AND United Conglomeration Of Surface Shipping boards?!:rofl:

I gotta get me one of theses gigs!:D

Someone asked a question about Surface shipping, I answered with what I know about it. Hardyharhar?:D

I want your gig where paying double the price for products and triple the price for shipping everything is nbd!:lol:

5 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I want your gig where paying double the price for products and triple the price for shipping everything is nbd!:lol:

That's an easy gig to get. Wife makes comfortable money, we live in a modest house (that is almost paid for) and...................................................no kids!:D All of that sweet, sweet toy money is mine!:rofl:

I will concede that there is a non monetary cost to not having kids though.

24 minutes ago, sqidd said:

That's an easy gig to get. Wife makes comfortable money, we live in a modest house (that is almost paid for) and...................................................no kids!:D All of that sweet, sweet toy money is mine!:rofl:

Haha, even if I were in that situation, my brain isn't wired that way. If there is an option for me to pay less for the same item, that always means more money for more toys to me.

30 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Kids get expensive. The ice cream costs alone right now for two teens is crazy.

Which reminds me, I should go upstairs and get some ice cream.

5 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Haha, even if I were in that situation, my brain isn't wired that way. If there is an option for me to pay less for the same item, that always means more money for more toys to me.

I have the racers brain. Now, now,, now, now, now, now!:D

5 minutes ago, vladykins said:

Kids get expensive. The ice cream costs alone right now for two teens is crazy.

Which reminds me, I should go upstairs and get some ice cream.

Lol, I have 4 flavors from a local famous 100 year old ice cream parlor in the freezer at all times and I just bought a $50 ice cream cake for one of my kid's birthday.

5 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I have the racers brain. Now, now,, now, now, now, now!:D

For me it's more, more, more, more, more!:D 

And if it isn't toy toys, it's comic book, vacations, audio gear, cars and car parts....it's endless except my space is finite yet I somehow keep finding ways to fit more into the mix.

2 hours ago, Stranger said:

I have use surface shipping with FJ multiple times. After a long wait (normally just over 2 months), the package arrive in good condition. No problem so far.

EDIT: forget to mention, sometime when the item is small, you can safe a few bucks by going with non-trackable surface. Did that once, was worried, but it still arrive ok.

Edited by kkx

9 minutes ago, kkx said:

I have use surface shipping with FJ multiple times. After a long wait (normally just over 2 months), the package arrive in good condition. No problem so far.

EDIT: forget to mention, sometime when the item is small, you can safe a few bucks by going with non-trackable surface. Did that once, was worried, but it still arrive ok.

Oh perfect. Thanks everyone! Sounds like Surface comes with tracking and is the way to go.

Does insurance come automatic or is that some extra thing?

17 hours ago, sqidd said:

Bandai-Super-1S-1.jpg

You should get this one as well because it has a different head.

While you’re at it, also get a 1/55 Strike Valkyrie and convert it for Roy.

Come on.  Spend, spend, spend.

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

You should get this one as well because it has a different head.

While you’re at it, also get a 1/55 Strike Valkyrie and convert it for Roy.

Come on.  Spend, spend, spend.

You're so helpful!:rofl:

I recently picked up a Hi Metal VF-1J and I am amazed how it feels completely different from my HMR valks. The HM is a floppy mess and the backpack is splitting because it isn’t glued well. 

I didn’t know they varied so different quality-wise. Sorry, I know it is old news to everyone else but it was new to me.

Can anyone please recommend me the best glue to use because superglue doesn’t seem to be holding that well. Thanks.

Edited by fortynickel

19 hours ago, fortynickel said:

I recently picked up a Hi Metal VF-1J and I am amazed how it feels completely different from my HMR valks. The HM is a floppy mess and the backpack is splitting because it isn’t glued well. 

Can anyone please recommend me the best glue to use because superglue doesn’t seem to be holding that well. Thanks.

A member mentioned about ABS and POM plastics in a thread (don't remember which one exactly).

ABS - Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene 

POM - Polyoxymethylene

Gorilla and Crazy Glue contains cyanoacrylate, so it will burn the two plastics together and make the joints brittle and be easily broken into two. Does the name "Kragle" ring any bell if you have seen "The Lego Movie" :D

Modeling Glue for plastic kits may work, however you might have to get a specific glue that is made to stick ABS Plastic together.

Plastic weld was mentioned too, however I have not used this method.

Edit: Here's something that @DewPoint mentioned on the Maintenance thread (page 5) that might be of use.

"Tamiya Extra Thin Cement (Quick-Setting) (Acetone, Butyl Acetate, Methyl Ethyl Ketone) was in effective.  Based on my research, that tells me that the plastic is not Polystyrene (PS), Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS), or Polyvinyl chloride (PVC).

I just picked up a bottle of Plastruct Plastic Weld (Methylene Chloride (dichloromethane), Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK)). So far it seems to be working.  I'll try to apply a bit of pressure on it in a few hours.  If this fails, I'm moving on the the plastic specific super glues.

Dsc00787a.jpg.0c325e2efc62e3acbfded3212d819031.jpg

Going to give it a full 24 hours to cure before I try to reattach it.  You need to look really closely to see where it broke.

@slide (his response after @DewPoint's) - " If MEK doesn't do it for you, you're probably s-o-l [in my experience]"

@kkx - "Not sure if this is similar to what you have tried.

When I try to repair a few VF-1 1/60 v2 with broken/split shoulder hinges, I found this and it works great.

Loctite bonding system

The Yamato shoulder joint plastic is a bit smooth and oily (not sure what type it is), and nothing I tried works until I attempt this. The pressure on those hinges might not be as strong as yours, so not sure if it will work but worth a try I think.

You can also try to thin out the bar a bit to reduce some pressure on the hinge.

Good luck."

Edited by borgified

13 hours ago, borgified said:

A member mentioned about ABS and POM plastics in a thread (don't remember which one exactly).

ABS - Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene 

POM - Polyoxymethylene

Gorilla and Crazy Glue contains cyanoacrylate, so it will burn the two plastics together and make the joints brittle and be easily broken into two. Does the name "Kragle" ring any bell if you have seen "The Lego Movie" :D

Modeling Glue for plastic kits may work, however you might have to get a specific glue that is made to stick ABS Plastic together.

Plastic weld was mentioned too, however I have not used this method.

Edit: Here's something that @DewPoint mentioned on the Maintenance thread (page 5) that might be of use.

"Tamiya Extra Thin Cement (Quick-Setting) (Acetone, Butyl Acetate, Methyl Ethyl Ketone) was in effective.  Based on my research, that tells me that the plastic is not Polystyrene (PS), Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS), or Polyvinyl chloride (PVC).

I just picked up a bottle of Plastruct Plastic Weld (Methylene Chloride (dichloromethane), Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK)). So far it seems to be working.  I'll try to apply a bit of pressure on it in a few hours.  If this fails, I'm moving on the the plastic specific super glues.

Dsc00787a.jpg.0c325e2efc62e3acbfded3212d819031.jpg

Going to give it a full 24 hours to cure before I try to reattach it.  You need to look really closely to see where it broke.

@slide (his response after @DewPoint's) - " If MEK doesn't do it for you, you're probably s-o-l [in my experience]"

@kkx - "Not sure if this is similar to what you have tried.

When I try to repair a few VF-1 1/60 v2 with broken/split shoulder hinges, I found this and it works great.

Loctite bonding system

The Yamato shoulder joint plastic is a bit smooth and oily (not sure what type it is), and nothing I tried works until I attempt this. The pressure on those hinges might not be as strong as yours, so not sure if it will work but worth a try I think.

You can also try to thin out the bar a bit to reduce some pressure on the hinge.

Good luck."

I greatly appreciate your insight. My knowledge of plastics and modeling is extremely limited (and by limited, I mean almost nonexistent) so your post is really helpful. 

I am constantly in awe while admiring the work people share on this message board and am usually a bit intimidated to post so I thank you for your response.

Edited by fortynickel

25 minutes ago, vladykins said:

So The Jungle had GBP VF-1J for 17,600, so I had to add it to my pile of things that they can't send me until JapanPost decides to mail again.

Congrats! You got a great deal!

I saw that one too, but was unsure about it since the image was a stock photo. Are items on the Jungle pretty safe though? (I guess I wasn't sure about its condition).

6 hours ago, Stranger said:

Congrats! You got a great deal!

I saw that one too, but was unsure about it since the image was a stock photo. Are items on the Jungle pretty safe though? (I guess I wasn't sure about its condition).

The only time you're rolling the dice with Jungle is on their "B" grade items. Personally, it's worked out well for me so far and I've scored some good deals, with the items looking brand new. I think @jeniusand others here have run into items with discoloration, though. They're supposed to mention damage like that on the listing, but it doesn't always happen.