Hi-Metal R

joppewo

5 hours ago, derex3592 said:

That has been one my favorite Macross pics since the early days of the internet.  The SDF-1 is just beautiful. The mechs are just funky enough to love. It's the imperfections that make it great. I wonder if anyone every published a book of his Macross artwork...?

There are a few, but none of them are just dedicated to his Macross illustrations....

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/books/_takani_wonder.htm

takani-1.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Takani-yoshiyuki-hagane-zetsu-gikoÌ/dp/4309750109/ref=pd_sbs_14_t_0/131-2639245-4025307?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=4309750109&pd_rd_r=b2b71986-f7f0-4ae0-a5d3-9acfa6837186&pd_rd_w=A2lui&pd_rd_wg=AHEyd&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=ENZ8M3E1S98DG807HVM0&psc=1&refRID=ENZ8M3E1S98DG807HVM0

611HwjulgjL._SX353_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/books/art_takani.htm

takani_front.jpg

9 hours ago, Bolt said:

@vlenhoff good questions. The answer is basically this. When Yoshiuki Takani san was commissioned to do these works he had some mechanical designs but no story. The series was in production and he didn't know how these mechs were truly intended to be portrayed. The same goes for the characters, there wasn't a minmei yet or clarity on Hikaru's design. At least not to him. He was probably given a rough, early story board for that image, or it was simply verbal..These were early promotions for the series and toys, remember this one?

1F2CAC02-4FFB-4711-B581-EDF6EC16ABB9.jpeg.6e15ba52b9117c74747c986c9baa24cb.jpeg

Same artist. Same story. No one told him What gerwalk was supposed to look like. 

The speaker pod cast crew discussed much of this years ago ..

i was totally joking! 8P, but what you say sounds pretty spot on. Yoshiuki has this gritty style, and i respect him highly. I remember looking at his work for hours, ina a Galatic Trade commission catalog I had, back then. Feeling shocked and humbled by his level of detail.

Yeah these are conceptual images, and they are very very cool. i just thought i would bring it into context with the story, to see what response i would get from you guys. I am an artist myself, and i really don't consider myself as good as Yoshiuki.

https://www.victorlenhoff.com/art

Edited by vlenhoff

45 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

i was totally joking! 8P, but what you say sounds pretty spot on. Yoshiuki has this gritty style, and i respect him highly. I remember looking at his work for hours, ina a Galatic Trade commission catalog I had, back then. Feeling shocked and humbled by his level of detail.

Yeah these are conceptual images, and they are very very cool. i just thought i would bring it into context with the story, to see what response i would get from you guys. I am an artist myself, and i really don't consider myself as good as Yoshiuki.

Dude! Your work is awesome! I'll be lurking there for a while:)

1 hour ago, vlenhoff said:

Very cool.:hail:

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

Dude! Your work is awesome! I'll be lurking there for a while:)

21 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Very cool.:hail:

You guys are too kind! I hope you enjoy my humble website. Thanks for lurking around! I have a 1S i have yet to finish, but i'll share it with you all later. It is basically my avatar, but finished.

2 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

You guys are too kind! I hope you enjoy my humble website. Thanks for lurking around! I have a 1S i have yet to finish, but i'll share it with you all later. It is basically my avatar, but finished.

Can you introduce me to Jessica?:D

27 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

Does anyone know when the Regult Scout PO is?

Unknown at this point and it may not be produced for all that matters.

@Convectuoso mentioned this on November 22nd, page 669 - "There hasn't been an announcement about that. Please, keep in mind that items tagged "Display Only" not necessarily get released. That's the lesson the Tomahawk gave us."

7 hours ago, borgified said:

Unknown at this point and it may not be produced for all that matters.

@Convectuoso mentioned this on November 22nd, page 669 - "There hasn't been an announcement about that. Please, keep in mind that items tagged "Display Only" not necessarily get released. That's the lesson the Tomahawk gave us."

A Regult Scout release would be a setback for my current financial goals, but I hope there will be one (please make it in the latter part of the year Bandai, if ever). I will be sitting out of other HMR valks that's why I am not complaining of the lack of releases. Unless if they are from Frontier (Alto's) or Basara's or *shock* they make the Queadlunn Rau. In that case RIP wallet and savings and future trips. :lol:

Edited by hachi
edit

11 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

Great job man.  I like the reflection details on Valkyrie girl...among other things :wub:

On 12/22/2019 at 9:37 PM, Anasazi37 said:

Finally snagged a Hikaru 1S Strike today! It's usually up there on the more expensive side (¥17,000-19,000) with Roy's Strike, but Jungle had one for ¥13,200 in B condition, so I pounced on it. I've had good luck with their B-level stuff, so I'm willing to take the chance. The last B item I ordered was the Missile Effect Set and the description said it had been opened and displayed. Opened, yes. Displayed? Not likely, unless it was in the tray with the cover on it. Pieces looked brand new and all of the plastic bits were still on the sprues.

On 12/22/2019 at 9:59 PM, jenius said:

I had a B level item from them come yellowed and panel lined so I'm a little weary of that grade now! I'm sure that was an exception though.

The B-level Hikaru 1S Strike I found on Jungle right before Christmas finally showed up earlier this week. He is minty fresh. The only thing the previous owner did was open the box and remove one set of the optional head lasers from their sprue. Like @jeniussaid, B-level is a gamble, though. I just ordered a 1/55 Hikaru 1A reissue whose price was suspiciously low (¥6000 instead of the usual ¥16000). Since I'm going to use it for a custom, I didn't mind if the box was damaged or there was some yellowing since the valk will be completely repainted, so I figured that explained the price difference and it was worth the risk. To Jungle's credit, they sent me an email apologizing for the status of the toy ("Outer Box damage (slight), sunburn (moderate)") and asking if I still wanted it. Hell yes I still wanted it. :good:

20200111_080939.jpg

15 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

Thanks for sharing! Really nice work. A lot of it reminds me of some European comic books I read like Metabarons. 

As far as old Macross illustration poses (and Takani san) .. Here's a few D7D470C1-3341-437F-AB29-6060809AAAC8.jpeg.4c3e0986987f93f4dbf0e5636d5e9bde.jpeg..

B405490F-D533-48BF-A3D0-8DAA0D55079C.jpeg.26b70b7c2f4d6a64bb5106a68e8f7131.jpeg

He did all( i believe) of the Macross Imai box art , amongst many other works.

9299ED91-8B0E-416E-BEA3-3A70E4C61822.jpeg.59917ead4d2e27498fc68a4a962361a5.jpeg

If there was a full book of all his works, ( he's been at it since the 50's!!) it would be a massive and awesome coffee table book! In Tenjin's second sortie book. There's an interview with Tenjin interviewing Takani.

Edited by Bolt

9 hours ago, sumyumgoy said:

Great job man.  I like the reflection details on Valkyrie girl...among other things :wub:

I am very humbled, thank you man! The reflections on the Valkyrie girl's wings were sort of a "I CAN'T STOP" moment. Sometimes i don't know when to stop, and sometimes i don't do enough. I guess it shows we are human, lol.

5 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Thanks for sharing! Really nice work. A lot of it reminds me of some European comic books I read like Metabarons. 

OMG, I looked up Metabarons. Wow, those are some intricate photo realistic works. I think Metabarons just gave me a bloody nose, artistically >.<

4 hours ago, Bolt said:

As far as old Macross illustration poses (and Takani san) .. Here's a few ..

B405490F-D533-48BF-A3D0-8DAA0D55079C.jpeg.26b70b7c2f4d6a64bb5106a68e8f7131.jpeg

He did all( i believe) of the Macross Imai box art , amongst many other works.

If there was a full book of all his works, ( he's been at it since the 50's!!) it would be a massive and awesome coffee table book! In Tenjin's second sortie book. There's an interview with Tenjin interviewing Takani.

I have lusted for this GPB rendition for ages. One of the reasons I nearly always place my 1J's lasers forward, is because of these illustrations. Yes, I need that book, badly.

2 hours ago, sh9000 said:

I’ve already recreated this pose with the DX but I’ll recreate it again with the HMR.

CFattack.thumb.jpg.8c9e622b2f073f02e50e2fa4b61f9663.jpg

Yes, I know it is a different valk, but the pose was in my head when i took this shot. It is completely backwards, so I am guessing this is how my brain remembers angles... backwards. 

Edited by vlenhoff

22 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:
5 hours ago, Slave IV said:

OMG, I looked up Metabarons. Wow, those are some intricate photo realistic works. I think Metabarons just gave me a bloody nose, artistically >.<

Yeah, it’s a pretty sweet book. Thanks again for sharing. I love seeing people’s art. 

On 1/11/2020 at 6:17 PM, Slave IV said:

Yeah, it’s a pretty sweet book. Thanks again for sharing. I love seeing people’s art. 

I love to see people's art too. That is what motivated me to start producing art myself. I'll try to hunt for some more books in the future.

2 hours ago, Lolicon said:

NY already demanding blood money for the HMR VF-4 that comes out at the end of next month.

I love the dramatization going on with NY. You forgot to mention that they are “demanding” the money for the item that comes out next month........to be paid by next month:p

Some people could have great careers in news media. :D 

35 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I love the dramatization going on with NY. You forgot to mention that they are “demanding” the money for the item that comes out next month........to be paid by next month:p

An untrained hysterical monkey can have a great career in the "news media".;)

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

I love the way you constantly shill and rationalize for NY. Are you on their payroll?

Probably shouldn't make ridiculous remarks towards people about careers in news media when you yourself omit key details to make misleading statements about NY.

You omitted that NY wants the money by the start of next month for an item that comes out at the end of next month. No other retailer does this. But it's okay if NY does, because everything NY does is right and justified in your book.

Edited by Lolicon

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

An untrained hysterical monkey can have a great career in the "news media".;)

Haha, I thought we were all friends here and wasn’t trying to go that far. :D

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

I love the way you constantly shill and rationalize for NY. Are you on their payroll?

Probably shouldn't make ridiculous remarks towards people about careers in news media when you yourself omit key details to make misleading statements about NY.

You omitted that NY wants the money by the start of next month for an item that comes out at the end of next month. No other retailer does this. But it's okay if NY does, because everything NY does is right and justified in your book.

Hey now! I’m just having fun here and balancing out the overly misleading hate for NY. I’ve mentioned many times that I don’t give a crap about them or any other shop, just who gets me my toys for the lowest price and it would be great if all the people hating on them would stop using them like @sqidd by putting his money where his mouth is. 

What’s more purposefully misleading to incite hate? You calling them out and specifically mentioning the item releases next month and conveniently leaving out the part where their payment is also due next month or me clarifying that the payment and release are both next month?

yoda-quote-path-to-the-darkside-1068x561

haha, no worries, I know there is still good in you.