Hi-Metal R

joppewo

Thanks!  I apply hot glue onto a surface, make half of the effect and then put the gun nozzle in place.  Then let it cool a little, apply hot glue and make the second half.  Then sculpt a little more using the hot metal of the glue gun.

3 hours ago, twich said:

Yeah, trying to compare scales with Gundam and Macross is hard...

1 hour ago, Alto-23 said:

Gundams are usually taller in head height than Valkyries in head height

Not sure what "head height" refers to, but mecha scales are quite consistently depicted in both Macross and Gundam.  

607280644_VF-1vsRX-78.thumb.jpg.31161ff95ecda7c9e302e8303a4ebea8.jpg

The classic RX-78-2 Gundam stands 18 meters tall, whereas the VF-1 Valkyrie is under 13 meters tall.  Later Valkyrie models were taller, of course... but later Gundams were taller, too.  ^_^

3 minutes ago, tekering said:

Not sure what "head height" refers to, but mecha scales are quite consistently depicted in both Macross and Gundam.  

I referred to head height because in fighter mode the VF-25 is as tall as a Gundam if stood up. Some people display their Valkyries on plate stands so I just wanted to point that out. 

35 minutes ago, tekering said:

The classic RX-78-2 Gundam stands 18 meters tall, whereas the VF-1 Valkyrie is under 13 meters tall.  Later Valkyrie models were taller, of course... but later Gundams were taller, too.  ^_^

Except for the Gundams in F91 and Victory. ;)

Many of the mobile suits from F91 and Victory Gundam size a bit better with Macross VFs as they are generally spec'd to around 15 meters tall.

Edited by Vifam7

thanks @tekering that's super helpful! Is that the ver.3 MG RX-78? It looks good - I haven't build an RX-78 since the first once 20+ years ago. :)

@Alto-23 yeah their scales are the same but the heights are different because the mecha heights are different. A PG Strike is about 30cm tall, vs. a 1/60 1J at 22cm or so. An MG of the Strike would probably be about the same height, though the scales would be mixed up, similar to how an HMR and 1/144 RG/HG kit would probably be.

I like the idea of it all being consistent scale for a display, but I also have limited room to work with. A pair of PG Strike Gundams, their accompanying Skygraspers, and 1/60 VF-1s would be like... two whole shelves. But with smaller kits I could do the same thing and still have room on the shelf for a few others without it feeling too crowded.

/shrug, I'll get around to actually putting stuff together one of these days. :)

And actually, this reminds me - do any of you guys collect Frame Arms kits? They're "1/100" scale. I was looking at the lineup and thought that Genbu might make for a pretty good Nousjadel-ger substitute, and a Ji-dao with some booster packs attached could be a stand-in for a Queadlunn-rau. Didn't know if anyone had either to see how they'd look with HMRs. I've got a Rapier Zephyr and a Revenant Eye here I haven't put together yet but the Rapier's aesthetic is more "pointy sparkly gundam" and the revenant eye has a "one year war" kind of look to it, not sure either would look good alongside HMR.

30 minutes ago, tekering said:

Nice pic Tekering.  I too think that the MG and the HMR line scale well for 1/100 scale.  Not sure about the PG vs v2 yammies at 1/60 scale as I only have one PG, and it's not displayed next to my v2 Yammies.  It's also hard to compare the pilot with the valk pilots cuz the pilots are different sizes for DYRL and SDFM.  

To continue the discussion of rising costs, I remember Arcadia officially posting on their website a reply about the huge increase in cost, and that labor costs in China were rising.  Inflation (iirc) in China was rapid during those years and their previously cheap labor wasn't cheap anymore as skilled labor was in demand.   It's possible Arcadia may have had a supplier problem.  They are small compared to Bandai or Takara (whose Masterpiece line was ramping up and very popular), and the increased demand from those competitors and others for skilled workers would drive up the costs.  

The Arcadia with parts which is similarly detailed as the DX 1/48 (although different scale and metal parts) is a steal compared with the DX 1/48 line since the Arcadia includes the missiles and parts.  Also you don't have to order/hunt for the parts separately or go through preorder madness or scalping.  They're expensive, but not as expensive as the DX SDFM and DYRL, and they're available from most companies for months to order.

Whoever mentioned the price increases across lines, and tracked prices, I think you're correct about the YF-29 had the improvements which were adopted in the dx renewal line.  Do you remember the preorder madness around the Frontier line though?  Bandai's increases were reasonable compared with the rampant scalping.  We're seeing a repeat of that mess in the 1/48 line.

The HMR line (other than the VF-4 and Silvie) have been priced about the same as when they first came out, factoring in the extras as you mentioned like armor and parts.  As they are like toys and reasonably priced, I play with these more often.  Also the destroids and Zentran mecha are reasonably priced for their quality, which seems higher quality than the HMR valks.  The accessories like the missile effect parts are not available in other lines.  The smaller size is easier to collect for those with limited space (especially in Japan).  The fact that the HMR doesn't have preorder madness is also a big sell point for me.  

All in all, the HMR is a very rounded line and low bar to enter for new collectors and most value for price compared with the other lines. 

If Bandai finishes Macross with the destroids this line's collectibility will be even higher.  

1 hour ago, jeniusornome said:

thanks @tekering that's super helpful! Is that the ver.3 MG RX-78? It looks good - I haven't build an RX-78 since the first once 20+ years ago. :)

@Alto-23 yeah their scales are the same but the heights are different because the mecha heights are different. A PG Strike is about 30cm tall, vs. a 1/60 1J at 22cm or so. An MG of the Strike would probably be about the same height, though the scales would be mixed up, similar to how an HMR and 1/144 RG/HG kit would probably be.

I like the idea of it all being consistent scale for a display, but I also have limited room to work with. A pair of PG Strike Gundams, their accompanying Skygraspers, and 1/60 VF-1s would be like... two whole shelves. But with smaller kits I could do the same thing and still have room on the shelf for a few others without it feeling too crowded.

/shrug, I'll get around to actually putting stuff together one of these days. :)

And actually, this reminds me - do any of you guys collect Frame Arms kits? They're "1/100" scale. I was looking at the lineup and thought that Genbu might make for a pretty good Nousjadel-ger substitute, and a Ji-dao with some booster packs attached could be a stand-in for a Queadlunn-rau. Didn't know if anyone had either to see how they'd look with HMRs. I've got a Rapier Zephyr and a Revenant Eye here I haven't put together yet but the Rapier's aesthetic is more "pointy sparkly gundam" and the revenant eye has a "one year war" kind of look to it, not sure either would look good alongside HMR.

I think that's a ver Ka MG rx78, not the ver 3.  They also have a samurai version of that kit.

Is a PG strike only 30 cm tall?  It seems taller than that.

I just put all my toys in my display cabinet.  If I had to match scales for each shelf, couldn't fit them in.  RG grade is like HMR, very good detail for size and price.  But MG is a bit bigger and scales better with HMR.

I just buy the Frames arts parts for their parts to mod my model kits.   I think Bandai will put out the Njer (since it got teased) and the Qrau because Bandai puts out even very unpopular mecha, and the Qrau is popular.

29 minutes ago, beatsing said:

I think that's a ver Ka MG rx78, not the ver 3.

It is indeed.  :good:

1 hour ago, beatsing said:

Not sure about the PG vs v2 yammies at 1/60 scale as I only have one PG, and it's not displayed next to my v2 Yammies.

I think you'll find "Perfect Grade" kits scale equally accurately with the Yamarcadias.  ^_^

1436876108_VF-1vs_Mk_II.thumb.jpg.5189e92d380037aa2e86c9de7f293b1c.jpg

The Gundam Mk.II is 19.6 meters tall, next to the 12.7 meter VF-1.

3 hours ago, tekering said:

It is indeed.  :good:

I think you'll find "Perfect Grade" kits scale equally accurately with the Yamarcadias.  ^_^

1436876108_VF-1vs_Mk_II.thumb.jpg.5189e92d380037aa2e86c9de7f293b1c.jpg

The Gundam Mk.II is 19.6 meters tall, next to the 12.7 meter VF-1.

Great pic @tekering I think that’s the ground person from the yammie tomahawk.  Bandais new high end nu gundam looks to have several of these support staff, which is really cool.  Bandai should include these with their valks.  

Thanks for the comparison pics.  

3 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Looking good!

Thanks @nightmareB4macross!

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Still the King of HMR Macross! :good:

Since this HMR release was a DYRL version....maybe do the effects in yellow as well?

1499648235233.gif

Thanks @jvmacross!  I’ll see about painting the missile tips yellow on a standalone Armored Valkyrie as well so that I have both versions.

For anyone whose interested, here is a link to the DIY weapons effects thread by ultraman zoffy. You can use that as a starting reference. http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/37537-diy-weapon-effects/. Also, just got my VF-1D in after hanging out in PW. Needs me some new destroids or enemies!

Edited by wmkjr

11 hours ago, beatsing said:

Nice custom and effects parts @sh9000.  Does the glue stay stuck on or is it removable? 

Thanks.  The piece is removable and can be mounted onto any gunpod.

9 hours ago, wmkjr said:

For anyone whose interested, here is a link to the DIY weapons effects thread by ultraman zoffy. You can use that as a starting reference. http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/37537-diy-weapon-effects/. Also, just got my VF-1D in after hanging out in PW. Needs me some new destroids or enemies!

Good options and different styles.  I try not to use wires or paper clips if they can be seen inside of the effects.

7 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

Great job with those custom made affects @sh9000!

and gun straps!

Thanks @vlenhoff!  I now have 6 gun straps.

6 hours ago, Geekz said:

sigh...when will they release the destroid tomahawk?

My preorder trigger finger is ready as soon as they get announced for release.

Needing any HMRs? Newly listed as of now.

Max 1J on Amiami for almost 11k yen (Item A, Box B) - https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=FIGURE-020199-R

Regult on Manda for 13k yen (opened, package damaged) - https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/detailPage/item?itemCode=1115826126&ref=list&keyword=マクロス&lang=en

I have a CF VF-1A HMR package via Mandrake that is stuck in Osaka since 19th June. I know SAL small packet can take up to 3 weeks or more, but this is worrying.

I don't know what I can do. Have people contacted Mandrake for similar issue? I will probably wait another week before I do anything, since this is my second CF, I am in no hurry.

13 hours ago, sh9000 said:

39A791BC-0663-4FF6-A9B1-CD776FCCA433.thumb.jpeg.0bb26453ea2fabeefd44e1ced60a05c7.jpeg

Jolly Rogers.

The amazon.jp price for some of this is so attractive, I am having a hard time resisting getting into another line. They sure looks good.

3 hours ago, kkx said:

The amazon.jp price for some of this is so attractive, I am having a hard time resisting getting into another line. They sure looks good.

You should at least check them out.

EE03C702-12A3-4607-90E7-812376061393.thumb.jpeg.a113718a28c7531378435e500448942b.jpeg