Hi-Metal R

joppewo

54 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

^This.  To me SDFM was the only Macross series that I watched as a kid, and I have long been frustrated about the bias on the DYRL scheme in toys/figures released by Yamato/Arcadia (I still don't have a TV scheme 1/60 Focker 1S with the black arrows on the head and grey jumpsuit pilot figure).  I am hoping that the 1/48 DX series would change that.  And HM-R as well, if they can stay on trend and release more of the SDFM variations.

A good chunk of this is probably because the vast majority of kids watching Robotech never had any clue that DYRL even existed.  

I should probably be getting a pair of these by the end of this week, so I'm debating different potential methods to get some hardpoints on the wings.  I've considered making a wing to get 3D printed copies of, but I'm also curious if I could just glue some drilled-out sprue nubs under the wings.  I might even have some nearly-matching tan sprue saved somewhere in my stash.

19 hours ago, treatment said:

How did you managed to get the head extended way out the chest/black-collar?

Mine can only go so far as below:

hmr-vf1d-neck-issue.thumb.jpg.ba5d9de6ce74825efcf4016fcb94bcbb.jpg

The head and neck does not extend further than that before dislodging completely.

Wow, cute baby Hikaru couldn’t reach the pedals with his cute baby legs and feet.

2 hours ago, rdrunner said:

^This.  To me SDFM was the only Macross series that I watched as a kid, and I have long been frustrated about the bias on the DYRL scheme in toys/figures released by Yamato/Arcadia (I still don't have a TV scheme 1/60 Focker 1S with the black arrows on the head and grey jumpsuit pilot figure).  I am hoping that the 1/48 DX series would change that.  And HM-R as well, if they can stay on trend and release more of the SDFM variations.

My thoughts exactly 

3 hours ago, jenius said:

I didn't see DYRL until I was an adult and while I do like it, I have no attachment to the schemes (other than Focker's) so for toy buying, I much prefer SDF Macross since I fixated so much on the show and wished for toys from it back when I was little.

I was lucky enough to get a boot leg copy of DYRL when I was 16 on vhs. It was grainy and , of course, had zero translations. But it was next level for me.

Personally I preferred DYRL paint schemes as , to me, they looked more sophisticated & realistic . I’m sure the animation quality had something to do with it.  And seeing the strike package on Fokkers VF was BOMBA. Also seeing the VF-1S in red and black was pretty sweet..

I was already buying the toys and models at swap meets and already had the 1/55 VT Ostrich ( wish I still did!)..

Edited by Bolt

Isn't the "bias" towards DYRL schemes due to it being more popular than the TV show? Outside of us poor American kids who only got to see Robotech. Can't really fault toy makers for preferring to release what's popular and will sell. Those Yamato TV 1As weren't exactly flying off the shelves back in the day.

Unfortunately, the first time I got to see DYRL was the terrible "Clash of the Bionoids" dub. :vava:

Side anecdote: a friend recently told me he just found out that the founder of Harmony Gold was Egyptian (he's also Egyptian). He said it was the most shame he's ever felt, besides being from New Jersey. :rofl:

Oddly enough I remember the attack of the bionoids vhs back in the day. I think that was the first version of macross that came out here in the U.S. it was dyrl with the worst voice acting ever. It made robotech seem like a high standard as far as voice acting. I did however enjoy the robotech episodes more when I was younger and I liked most of the alien designs better in the original macross than the movie. The only zentraidi design I liked better in the movie was the n ger. As far as Valkyrie designs I actually really like both and am glad that hmr does do both movie and series. Most of the 1j versions are from the show and the cf 1a can be technically for either. Hopefully if they do a tv 1s it will have options do super parts and Roy or Hikaru pilots.

51 minutes ago, Convectuoso said:

Just delivered by Amazon. jp

Now to check if there aren't any issues 

Issue #1 That barcode sticker placement.  Which can be easily rectified if its on the wrapper and not on the box. :D

Edited by seti88

I never liked the face on the later versions of the q rau. I love the tv versions especially millias color scheme in the series.

any way I was checking images for the 1d and seems Bandai weren’t the only ones to do the back plate that way.

9919B0F8-0979-4268-BC57-1E7BCC1EDD77.jpeg

CD3738F6-CFBC-49DD-977E-2A5076F8DC60.gif

DYRL to me was an animation dream come true. Macross + art. Forgotten how many times that old vhs tape got played over and over.

It felt empty at the end of that tape. A feeling that I knew more had happened than what was shown in that one showing of DYRL.

and that SDFM filled many a months of awe and nuance that one movie could never replicate. 

I only watched DYRL for the first time a few months back, whereas I watched robotech in the late 80s.

Watched it right after doing a re-watch of the entire SDFM TV show, and DYRL was worlds better.

Better plot, better animation, didn’t feel like slapping both Minmei and Hikaru constantly...

Edited by Sanity is Optional
ducking autocorrect

31 minutes ago, Big s said:

I never liked the face on the later versions of the q rau. I love the tv versions especially millias color scheme in the series.

any way I was checking images for the 1d and seems Bandai weren’t the only ones to do the back plate that way.

9919B0F8-0979-4268-BC57-1E7BCC1EDD77.jpeg

CD3738F6-CFBC-49DD-977E-2A5076F8DC60.gif

Nobody wants the old Yamatos. :lol:

31 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I only watched DYRL for the first time a few months back, whereas I watched robotech in the late 80s.

Watched it right after doing a re-watch of the entire SDFM TV show, and DYRL was worlds better.

Better plot, better animation, didn’t feel like slapping both Minnie and Hilary constantly...

You made me think of minnie driver and hillary Clinton! :rolleyes:

A complicated love triangle deserves time to play out, so SDFM is the plot for me.

Agree to disagree, won’t clog up this thread too much! 

Edited by seti88

Well, I can give feedback on the bandaionline store.  It looks shady, but they shipped their 1D the day after cdjapan shipped their 1D.  It says nothing about service after the item arrives, but  if you want to know if your item will arrive, my VF-4 and the 1D orders both shipped on time.

Just received my VF-1D from HLJ.

The slight difference in the orange doesn't seem as noticeable as with the VT-1, which is nice.

A Minmay for the cockpit would have been cool, but it's not a deal breaker, and I think having her in hand is more iconic.

Having the dual seat attachment for Battroid mode is also a nice bonus.

Only one quality control issue: my Minmay has a very small speck of what appears to be white paint on the left side of her head/hair. Looks like she's got a gray streak. Thinking about touching it up, but it's really not all that remarkable.

Overall, still incredibly impressed with these HMR releases and I really hope they keep 'em coming.

Most likely keeping this one in Gerwalk mode (*no back plate concerns for me). :)

Edited by RDX17
wording

I watched Clash of the Bionoids about a year after the 1st airing of Robotech ended. My brother's friend picked up a copy.  I actually like DYRL better then SDFM.  Aside from the better production quality, I like the Valkyrie paint schemes better as they are more military realistic.  I also prefer the ARMDs over the two ships mounted to the SDF-1.  Pressure hulls for keeping out pressure and keeping in pressure is a whole other discussion.  I wouldn't mind getting a 1:3000 TV version SDF-1 with both ships and TV style ARMDs. And because DYRL Misa > SDFM Misa in my opinion.

Personally, i have always being in love with the SDFM paint schemes or liveries. I don't mind the DYRL liveries, but the others are the ones i always wanted, cough, vermilion squadron.

Now we need someone to produce those seats for the rest of the H-MR and the new DX valks. 

Let’s not forget one of the most significant implications of that episode.  Roy was such a badass that he was able to fly into space with no booster while even carrying another VF1 fuselage.  Other pilot wimps needed boosters to reach space, not Roy.

On 4/23/2019 at 10:46 PM, nightmareB4macross said:

Or it could be that we all had a contact drunk episode per Roy.

Hiccuo.

2 hours ago, Ridden001 said:

Let’s not forget one of the most significant implications of that episode.  Roy was such a badass that he was able to fly into space with no booster while even carrying another VF1 fuselage.  Other pilot wimps needed boosters to reach space, not Roy.

Not only that, but there's this awesome sequence right before that which I call Roy's finest hour.  After all his badassery on South Ataria, he tosses his empty gunpod away and transforms to gerwalk, carrying the 1D cockpit, deftly "gerwalk skating" around a bunch of Regults closing in on him.  When he finally has enough airspeed to "rotate" and transform to fighter mode, he comes upon a ridge with a regult that has him dead-to-rights.  Roy has only a split second to react and head lasers as his only weapon.  MoFo nails the regult right in the sensor eye and zooms off like a boss, saving two civilians in the process!  Give this man an Air Medal!

4 minutes ago, DWN013 said:

Not only that, but there's this awesome sequence right before that which I call Roy's finest hour.  After all his badassery on South Ataria, he tosses his empty gunpod away and transforms to gerwalk, carrying the 1D cockpit, deftly "gerwalk skating" around a bunch of Regults closing in on him.  When he finally has enough airspeed to "rotate" and transform to fighter mode, he comes upon a ridge with a regult that has him dead-to-rights.  Roy has only a split second to react and head lasers as his only weapon.  MoFo nails the regult right in the sensor eye and zooms off like a boss, saving two civilians in the process!  Give this man an Air Medal!

Badassery at its finest!

20 hours ago, Pontus said:

Cool!  How did you take the arm off?  I didn't miss a perfectly easy place to take it apart did I?

The arm pulls off.  Did you hold up the canopy with putty?

20 hours ago, jvmacross said:

D96377AB-BBC7-452F-9E15-9FAF58C77488.jpeg

large.Zentran.jpg.7978fee9bdee6d5c35939d

large.1034553342_Hikarucelclose-up.jpg.4

:good:

19 hours ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

@sh9000 - Didn’t you make some of your own gunblast effect parts? Maybe try those on the end of the gunpod.

Yeah.  I’ll take some pics of other poses later.

8 hours ago, vlenhoff said:

Now we need someone to produce those seats for the rest of the H-MR and the new DX valks. 

If you bought the FEXT Hobby armors, they came with seats to put on in Battroid mode.

57 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

The arm pulls off.  Did you hold up the canopy with putty?

SERIOUSLY?! :bigshok: I thought I pulled and yanked on that thing enough to find something like that, but perhaps I was focused on the wrong joint. 

Don't hate me... :ph34r: But the area behind the back seat was in the way, plus I thought if I could cut it precisely enough at an angle, I could get the canopy to just snap in.  But it kinda fell apart back there.  However, that left it clear for the canopy to sit at the proper position and angle, so I used my trusty little 1/16" drill bit to cut a hole in both the tab on the canopy and the plastic at the back of the cabin and used a tiny screw to hold it in place.

I like how amazon japan packed my items.  Corner of the box was dinged but it didn't damage the contents, though one of the valkyrie boxes was a little bit bent.  I was going to open one anyways so no big deal.  I like this in robot mode most so I have it standing here in robot mode with all the proper parts attached.

Also thinking of the Yamato versions.  Well, I collect only V1's and I'm happy enough with them.  V2's are a bit expensive.  My VF-1D is a V1.

Did anyone find the HMR canopy to be too thick? I didn't notice or care at first, but my VT-1 has a cloudy canopy, then I notice how thick they are.

Not sure if the polish + future/pledge dunk method will work.

Worth trying to do a vacuum forming replacement? Any idea?