Hi-Metal R

joppewo

Not the best photo but the thinner piece of it is where it snapped. I really have no idea what to do given the VF-4 is going for $150-160 on the secondary market now... I could just keep it but after this happening I'd probably never want to touch it or really look at it.

1555890917925327292425.jpg

Edited by PteranodonMom

12 hours ago, rdrunner said:

OH. Another “grey or white goggles” conundrum... why am I not surprised, haha. But I didn’t know that, so thanks @seti88 for letting me know. 

heheh hope you feel better!

5 hours ago, jenius said:

Macross Mecha Manual is an awesome source but the color line art isn't official in regards to color.

Makes one think that maybe bandai used macross mecha manual as a guideline...hmmm....

1 hour ago, rdrunner said:

Well... let's just say I will not be putting super packs on to the 1D in a hurry...

Yes I can leave it in Gerwalk and Battroid modes, but I was really hoping that the fighter mode would look decent - especially when Bandai went through the trouble of re-molding the elongated canopy for a two-seater, unlike the Super O or the VE-1.  Not often do we get a transformable 1D toy (not model kits) that get the canopy shape right.  The HMR could do it because it didn't need to worry about the length of the heat shield during transformation.  To me it's something that bothers me when I look at the fighter mode, especially knowing that they could have got the colouring correct easily (and they have done so on the VT-1).

But enough of my OCD nitpicking -  I'm sure lots of people will still love the HMR VF-1D and I promise I will (try) not mention this again:ph34r::5:

someone tried adding the packs...

D4qboKLUIAA98tg.thumb.jpg.9a5b3e3283d3f01f554cd05eefd3afd1.jpg

8 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Sorry to hear about that. I think that's the part that Bandai warned consumers about when transforming. I think the tolerance is not as strong.

Starts at 4:27.

Yeah no I literally did it exactly how the instructions show and it broke. Seems like poor design on that part. This really makes me want to just sell the few HMR pieces I have and focus on the bigger valks.

8 minutes ago, PteranodonMom said:

Yeah no I literally did it exactly how the instructions show and it broke. Seems like poor design on that part. This really makes me want to just sell the few HMR pieces I have and focus on the bigger valks.

Same here. That area is so tight even I'm having trouble separating the chest area from the fuselage. To the point that I'm not sure how to hold it properly.

4 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Can you post a pic of the VF-1D with the included Hikaru figure in the cockpit and the Minmay that comes with the VT-1 sitting in back?

1610711237_DYRLMinmayintheback.jpg.8ebccc636e017a99fdcf19389be7b1a4.jpg

She scales a little large, but she fits in the seat...

4 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Also a comparison pic of Hikaru from the VF-1D next to the Hikaru from the VF-1J?

Hikkies.jpg.e087df5d19bdbc800eb086bc523df7c5.jpg

I must say, Bandai did a much better job with the helmet this time around.

And, since you suggested using Plastic Cretins Minmay as well:

1388506498_cretinintheback.jpg.6236e999b476439ef869be86ad7ae5f7.jpg

There's not enough leg room in the back, unless you cut off her feet...

1583689976_cretinupfront.jpg.fc937b072d9c8b6e2a828ea35797d647.jpg

...but you could always let her sit up front.  :p

5 hours ago, Backlight1 said:

I painted my vf4 according to some pics i have seen. 

My hat's off to you, sir.  :hi:

What's that creepy goo you're using for masking?  :huh:

1 hour ago, PteranodonMom said:

What do all of y'all do when you end up breaking a figure?

Other users have had success reaching out to Bandai directly... and since they're obviously aware of the problem, they may be willing to provide replacement parts.

Not the best photo but the thinner piece of it is where it snapped. I really have no idea what to do given the VF-4 is going for $150-160 on the secondary market now... I could just keep it but after this happening I'd probably never want to touch it or really look at it.

1555890917925327292425.jpg

"The HMR VF-4 is leaps and bounds better than the Yamato version!"

Sorry to hear about the breakage. I have an extra unit I plan on selling at cost, so if you're interested, I'll let you know when I post it in the Sale section. It's been opened but never transformed; just took some pics and put it back. Only thing is you'll have to sand out a super glue fingerprint left by a sloppy factory worker, which shouldn't be hard to do.

Just now, Lolicon said:

"The HMR VF-4 is leaps and bounds better than the Yamato version!"

Sorry to hear about the breakage. I have an extra unit I plan on selling at cost, so if you're interested, I'll let you know when I post it in the Sale section. It's been opened but never transformed; just took some pics and put it back. Only thing is you'll have to sand out a super glue fingerprint left by a sloppy factory worker, which shouldn't be hard to do.

Thanks for the offer but this has soured me on HMR as a whole. I'll be selling my DYRL Hikaru 1A, VF-2SS Nexx Gilbert, VE-1 Elintseeker, and my VF-1D (when it gets here), so if anyone is interested in any of those let me know.

57 minutes ago, PteranodonMom said:

Thanks for the offer but this has soured me on HMR as a whole. I'll be selling my DYRL Hikaru 1A, VF-2SS Nexx Gilbert, VE-1 Elintseeker, and my VF-1D (when it gets here), so if anyone is interested in any of those let me know.

I'm really sorry to hear about that, and it totally sucks that the VF-4 broke when you were just following their instructions. But if you aren't in a hurry to sell, do reconsider keeping the rest of the HMRs you have, as it is really a decent line of figures for the franchise which is still growing.  Yes, they may be flimsy or don't have perfect transformation, but IMO they are (usually) pretty fun to handle and play with, unlike some of the 1/60's that I don't feel I can treat as just "toys".

Again, sorry to see that happen to your VF-4.

Edited by rdrunner

6 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Nice work! And welcome to MacrossWorld, @Backlight1 :good: ;)

Are you planning on painting the intake's inside to brown as well?

f2012_vf4_along_bridge.png.95aeb41580a15dcd8c1909f435e5f41c.png

flashback_vf4_2.JPG.da0b60720a28998bda46f46603ce3304.JPG

flashback_vf4_3.JPG.52503fe348d44373ed4c72be73a26ccd.JPG

Not for the moment, because that under part comes from the arms, so the color would not match when transforming it to battroid. But i still have left some panel lining, will uload pics next weekend. 

1 hour ago, tekering said:

1610711237_DYRLMinmayintheback.jpg.8ebccc636e017a99fdcf19389be7b1a4.jpg

She scales a little large, but she fits in the seat...

Hikkies.jpg.e087df5d19bdbc800eb086bc523df7c5.jpg

I must say, Bandai did a much better job with the helmet this time around.

And, since you suggested using Plastic Cretins Minmay as well:

1388506498_cretinintheback.jpg.6236e999b476439ef869be86ad7ae5f7.jpg

There's not enough leg room in the back, unless you cut off her feet...

1583689976_cretinupfront.jpg.fc937b072d9c8b6e2a828ea35797d647.jpg

...but you could always let her sit up front.  :p

My hat's off to you, sir.  :hi:

What's that creepy goo you're using for masking?  :huh:

Its Panzer Putty, Masking Putty from MIG also works. 

Panzer putty.jpg

7 hours ago, Backlight1 said:

Hello guys this is my first reply ever. I painted my vf4 according to some pics i have seen. 

Used vallejo acrylics and mig cobra airbrush.  Hope you like it 

IMG_2120.JPG

IMG_2121.JPG

IMG_2111.JPG

IMG_2113.JPG

IMG_2115.JPG

IMG_2118.JPG

IMG_2124.JPG

IMG_2125.JPG

Looks great! Looking forward to seeing the finished product! 

10 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Finally got shipping confirmation for my paid of 1Ds from Amazon Japan. Estimated arrival is Tuesday.

I also got my AmazonJP shipping notice. I really like how they use DHL for their global shipping method.

my order frm CDJ has been in shipping in preparation for few days as well ...though I chose the cheapo slow SAL registered method..

*edit* just got email with tracking number from CDJ for SAL registered!

*update* It seems that CDJ had posted the valk last friday as seen on JP post tracking page about 3.30 pm. It took up to today for the shipping email to be out...

btw...custom vf-4...

Edited by seti88

2 hours ago, PteranodonMom said:

Oooo i might be intetested in that elintseeker. Msg me with price and details.

1 hour ago, rdrunner said:

I'm really sorry to hear about that, and it totally sucks that the VF-4 broke when you were just following their instructions. But if you aren't in a hurry to sell, do reconsider keeping the rest of the HMRs you have, as it is really a decent line of figures for the franchise which is still growing.  Yes, they may be flimsy or don't have perfect transformation, but IMO they are (usually) pretty fun to handle and play with, unlike some of the 1/60's that I don't feel I can treat as just "toys".

Again, sorry to see that happen to your VF-4.

What originally drew me into Macross collecting was seeing 1/60 V2 Yamato VF-1s on multiple review boards I was part of. Personally, I prefer my Valkyries bigger since they're easier to handle for me. Given the choice of having three HMRs or one DX Chogokin or Arcadia/Yamato I'd side with the latter based on shelf presence and finish. I definitely can see why the HMR line is attractive (cost, variety), and why I was attracted to it (broke college student who couldn't afford a larger Valk), but as of now I'd rather hunt for more 1/60-1/48 Valks.

Let's not forget that Yamato folded years ago and tracking down all their 1/60 releases is expensive and difficult.

Especially for peeps newer to the game HMR is the best alternative.

At least Bandai is catering to the demand for bigger and better toys with the DX. Though I'd rather have the VF-1 in 1/60, not 1/48.

What originally drew me into Macross collecting was seeing 1/60 V2 Yamato VF-1s on multiple review boards I was part of. Personally, I prefer my Valkyries bigger since they're easier to handle for me. Given the choice of having three HMRs or one DX Chogokin or Arcadia/Yamato I'd side with the latter based on shelf presence and finish. I definitely can see why the HMR line is attractive (cost, variety), and why I was attracted to it (broke college student who couldn't afford a larger Valk), but as of now I'd rather hunt for more 1/60-1/48 Valks.

You know, I wasn’t a believer in the HMR series but bought my first one because I am a sucker for the GBP armour. Then over time it had grown on me, because I can really play with these unlike the 1/60’s or even the 1/48’s that I felt I had to transform with utmost care, for fear that I break an out-of-production figure. It’s like handling the 1/55 chunky monkey again - you can just mess with it and have some real fun. 

Another draw to the line is the promise of enemy mecha and non-valk variants like the Destroids and the Monster. These really make the collection much more interesting and due to their size, it’s unlikely that we will see them in other larger scales anytime soon. 

But anyway I understand and respect your decision, hopefully you’ll have luck getting more of the old 1/60’s or the new DX VF-1 line. 

2 hours ago, jenius said:

LOL, I feel like no matter where I order something from, I'm the last person to have it shipped. 

Not quite the last @jenius. I have my copy of the HMR VF-1d sometime in two weeks time with Figuarts Kiva from Amiami via EMS. 

Alot of people talking about yamato and scarcity, the chunkies wich i believe wete the best are becoming harder and harder to get.

I actually don't like all the extras parts that are swappable, more parts especially plastic means more breakage.

The chunkies for their age have done well and have stood up to abuse.

Alot of the newer ones have had broken parts, even right out of the box.

The appeal of HMR is apparent when you have a whole shelf lined-up....https://twitter.com/REV_PINK/status/1119444180600676352

D4kQiXHVUAIZ2Bp.jpg.625daa428ba40f7c1e5bf3037a21436e.jpg

am sure sh9000 has more, but dont forget what 1/100 lacks in detail/color accuracy or what not, it makes up in numbers.

I find though, there isn't one scale is better than the other. 
It just depends what you make out of your collection, how much you like it and how much it enhances your shelf/den/room/etc....

besides having a shelf of 1/60 valks is incredible!

From rdrunner's pics...57A3DEC7-D89B-419E-8E80-EB8F55F8311F.thumb.jpeg.9d0b55110ab54edd84be1a1689fc231d.thumb.jpeg.6394ac07b11d8a8b53edfa13b1380cb5.jpeg

Edited by seti88

1 hour ago, Penguin sushi said:

Alot of people talking about yamato and scarcity, the chunkies wich i believe wete the best are becoming harder and harder to get.

I actually don't like all the extras parts that are swappable, more parts especially plastic means more breakage.

The chunkies for their age have done well and have stood up to abuse.

Alot of the newer ones have had broken parts, even right out of the box.

The 1/55s were built for play by young people.  The 1/48s and 1/60s were made for older fans and collectors.  HMR is kind of a middle ground.  I'd like to play with my 1/55 more, but replacement is becoming more costly.  The older HMR are going in that same direction sadly.  The price of the Regults have gone up so much that I'm reluctant to play with them now.

CD Japan shipped my VF-1D today!

Edited by DewPoint
VF-1D shipped!

I have seen the 1/100 vf-25 from bandai, are they as wanted as the hi metal and how are the build? 

Seti88 said that he finds that the there really isn't a better valk scale wise.

Back in the day of the 55's yherevwas vf a huge difference. The smaller ones were prettycrap made and all plastic.

The yamato when they came out the larger ones had more detail, but they all suffered from problems especially the joints. 

Now its not really the scale it is more of the brand.

10 minutes ago, Penguin sushi said:

I have seen the 1/100 vf-25 from bandai, are they as wanted as the hi metal and how are the build? 

Seti88 said that he finds that the there really isn't a better valk scale wise.

Back in the day of the 55's yherevwas vf a huge difference. The smaller ones were prettycrap made and all plastic.

The yamato when they came out the larger ones had more detail, but they all suffered from problems especially the joints. 

Now its not really the scale it is more of the brand.

For me, there isnt one scale better than the other.

If you can display many 1/100's as a complete collection, that is a positive in its own right.
And if some prefer a larger scale with better individual shelf presence and detail, that's a positive for the 1/60.

I just find it comparing apples and oranges, if you want to compare 1/100 and 1/60/55/48..

Product quality wise, both scales have there own nagging issues but i think thats more of manufacturing processes of each toy company rather than scale per se......

5 hours ago, rdrunner said:

You know, I wasn’t a believer in the HMR series but bought my first one because I am a sucker for the GBP armour. Then over time it had grown on me, because I can really play with these unlike the 1/60’s or even the 1/48’s that I felt I had to transform with utmost care, for fear that I break an out-of-production figure. It’s like handling the 1/55 chunky monkey again - you can just mess with it and have some real fun. 

Another draw to the line is the promise of enemy mecha and non-valk variants like the Destroids and the Monster. These really make the collection much more interesting and due to their size, it’s unlikely that we will see them in other larger scales anytime soon. 

But anyway I understand and respect your decision, hopefully you’ll have luck getting more of the old 1/60’s or the new DX VF-1 line. 

Yup I've got the DX Max on pre-order and I'm watching several VF-1s on eBay as of now. I respect your decision to stay with the HMR line. At the end of the day, you should collect whichever line suits your tastes and makes you happy. For some, it's the 1/48 scale valks, others the 1/60s, the HMRs, or even all three.

5 hours ago, seti88 said:

The appeal of HMR is apparent when you have a whole shelf lined-up....https://twitter.com/REV_PINK/status/1119444180600676352

D4kQiXHVUAIZ2Bp.jpg.625daa428ba40f7c1e5bf3037a21436e.jpg

am sure sh9000 has more, but dont forget what 1/100 lacks in detail/color accuracy or what not, it makes up in numbers.

I find though, there isn't one scale is better than the other. 
It just depends what you make out of your collection, how much you like it and how much it enhances your shelf/den/room/etc....

besides having a shelf of 1/60 valks is incredible!

From rdrunner's pics...57A3DEC7-D89B-419E-8E80-EB8F55F8311F.thumb.jpeg.9d0b55110ab54edd84be1a1689fc231d.thumb.jpeg.6394ac07b11d8a8b53edfa13b1380cb5.jpeg

That second pic is the kind of collection I'm trying to build. I'd love to fill several glass display case shelves with them!