Hi-Metal R

joppewo

I’d argue the VF-4 is the most popular of all the Valk designs.  I know lots of aircraft enthusiasts who aren’t Macross/Robotech fans, who know nothing of the show or care about transforming anything, who absolutely love the design.  The Fighter design seems near universally celebrated (Gerwalk and Battroid on the other hand...)

Edited by Mommar

Most popular? Uhhhh... You're going to have to have a pretty creative definition of 'popular' since the VF-1 is inspired by the universally adored F-14 and is iconic in its own right. Folks that see a pic of the VF-4 might say "that looks cool" before many other designs but 'most popular' seems a stretch.

13 hours ago, Mommar said:

I’d argue the VF-4 is the most popular of all the Valk designs.  I know lots of aircraft enthusiasts who aren’t Macross/Robotech fans, who know nothing of the show or care about transforming anything, who absolutely love the design.  The Fighter design seems near universally celebrated (Gerwalk and Battroid on the other hand...)

Considering how little fan art it has and it's only real animated appearance was in a 30 minute music video, I don't see how it could possibly be the most popular Valkyrie. I mean it's certainly more popular than some more obscure designs like the VF-14 and VF-3000 anyway...

It's not the most popular, or we would have lots more merchandise by this point.  What it does seem to be is a really obscure gem that people forget about for years, and then discover again. 

I can see the angle of it being a very popular valk with regular aircraft enthusiasts though.  It's a beautiful design in its own right, and it's also one of those that you look at and think there's no way it could possibly transform.  That alone tends to turn heads, especially in this day and age where most transforming aircraft toys look like a jet slapped on top of plastic brick. :p 

I think it's the most popular in terms of desiredness by Macross fans. Most can be confident that the VF-1 will be the very first release or eventual release in any Macross toy line. But the VF-4 is one of those Valks where it's iffy whether a manufacturer will do it. Plus, for Macross fans, it probably ranks up there as one of Kawamori's finest designs. 

Nice pic Saburo.

Since the fists and wings will need to be swapped on mine when transforming from Fighter to Battroid mode, I’m totally fine with removing the canopy in Battroid mode to make the heat shield more flush.

On 11/16/2018 at 3:07 AM, beatsing said:

I had no idea, thanks for the info.  It's strange that Bandai would select LGaim for its HMR line over FSS.  

It's not that strange. L-Gaim was a Nippon Sunrise show so Bandai likely holds all licensing rights to it. FSS would require working with Mamoru Nagano and (possibly?) Newtype magazine publisher Kadokawa for rights. I don't keep up with FSS much, but I believe it also just went through a substantial retcon to bring the designs more in-line with Nagano's Gothicmade.

23 minutes ago, fenrir72 said:

Which one? 

Everyone was talking about VF-4 as being popular or not. And back then I'm seeing Yamato VF-4G like $900 or less from scalpers on eBay.

Edited by no3Ljm

4 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Everyone was talking about VF-4 as being popular or not. And back then I'm seeing Yamato VF-4G like $900 or less from scalpers on eBay.

There was a Yamato 1/60 of it? Wow!

Edit: Did a search on it.......that thing sure is mighty purdy!

http://news.toyark.com/2012/08/16/yamato-vf4g-lightning-iii-official-images-6318

Edited by fenrir72

On 11/18/2018 at 5:29 AM, Chronocidal said:

It's not the most popular, or we would have lots more merchandise by this point.  What it does seem to be is a really obscure gem that people forget about for years, and then discover again. 

I can see the angle of it being a very popular valk with regular aircraft enthusiasts though.  It's a beautiful design in its own right, and it's also one of those that you look at and think there's no way it could possibly transform.  That alone tends to turn heads, especially in this day and age where most transforming aircraft toys look like a jet slapped on top of plastic brick. :p 

Agreed, most popular is the VF-1 with the YF-19 more than likely being 2nd.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

24 minutes ago, onnasake said:

So the Lightning will be my first Hi Metal.  What are we talking size wise?  How tall in inches in robot mode are these usually?

What's the closest Transformers equivalent to fighter mode?

The HMR VF-1 is five and a half inches tall in robot mode (13 centimeters aprox).

2 hours ago, onnasake said:

So the Lightning will be my first Hi Metal.  What are we talking size wise?  How tall in inches in robot mode are these usually?

What's the closest Transformers equivalent to fighter mode?

The specs says:

HMR VF-1 == 140mm

HMR VF-2SS == 160mm

HMR VF-4 == 150mm

here's  a pic from the hacchaka-blog for robot-mode:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/hacchaka/archives/51991228.html

1e498b86-s.jpg.4d616f058574e42cbafd16083e6e9341.jpg

The HMR VF-4 should be exactly in between them wrt height.

Go back some pages and you should find some comparo-pics with other toys.  Maybe even more in the pages of the scale-thread ( http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/35121-148fps-160fps-172-12k-13k1100-and-now-1144/?page=133&tab=comments#comment-1430800

Not sure about fighter-mode at the moment.  I used to have some fighter-pics comparo at imgur, but I've shut down that acct.

15 minutes ago, Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0 said:

Hope we can get some more obscure valks in this line like the VF-2JA, Metal Siren, VF-XX Zentran Valkyrie and VF-3000

And fulfill also everyone's hope of completing the whole Zentran mechs first. Not to mention rounding up the unfinished Destroids as well. ;) 

Edited by no3Ljm

2 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

And fulfill also everyone's hope of completing the whole Zentran mechs first. Not to mention rounding up the unfinished Destroids as well. ;) 

Bandai needs to release the Tomahawk and Phalanx in 2019....enough of these waiting games.....we need some closure on the destroid line so we can more effectively pine for other Macross HMR releases we'll never get!! :drinks: