Hi-Metal R

joppewo

21 hours ago, ShinerTheBock said:

I don't guess they sell super/strike parts for the HMR Valks, huh?  Any indications out there that they might?

Edit: looks like you guys discussed this a while back...still wondering if anyone knows of something that might be happening in the future...

http://jungle-scs.co.jp/mobile/sale_en.cgi?action=productlist&do=detail&pid=101000010506

These should work just fine. A bit overpriced, though. 

3 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

http://jungle-scs.co.jp/mobile/sale_en.cgi?action=productlist&do=detail&pid=101000010506

Thanks for the idea!  I may do a bit of research to see how cheap I can find them.  As I understand it they were exclusive at the time to a particular retailer so I'm not holding out much hope.  Maybe I should look at a VF-1S...but man, those aren't cheap...

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

I have those....good idea but they won't match the rest of the HMR squadron when they eventually get released....;) 

I just remembered that my custom DYRL VF-1A Hikaru that was made from a VF-1S Hikaru can use the spare VF-1J Max grey calf armor when I paint and convert it into a VF-1A Whale Hunter.  Do you or anybody else want the calf armor that came with the VF-1S Hikaru?

Edited by sh9000

4 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

Yeah, it seems like this set keeps climbing in price as more people get into HMR. I'm not counting on Bandai to re-release them, so I've bought a few sets over the past couple of years, and averaged $60 shipped for them, which is still a lot more than they originally went for several years ago.

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

I have those....good idea but they won't match the rest of the HMR squadron when they eventually get released....;) 

Agreed, they're not ideal if you want a DYRL look like the current HMR super/strike VF-1s, but they do work pretty well color-wise if you're going for a TV look, like me. (The arm armors are not technically the right sculpt for TV, but I'm not too concerned there.)

32 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

I just remembered that my custom DYRL VF-1A Hikaru that was made from a VF-1S Hikaru can use the spare VF-1J Max grey calf armor when I paint and convert it into a VF-1A Whale Hunter.  Do you or anybody else want the calf armor that came with the VF-1S Hikaru?

Thanks so much for offering!  PM sent.

1 hour ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

Yeah, it seems like this set keeps climbing in price as more people get into HMR. I'm not counting on Bandai to re-release them, so I've bought a few sets over the past couple of years, and averaged $60 shipped for them, which is still a lot more than they originally went for several years ago.

Agreed, they're not ideal if you want a DYRL look like the current HMR super/strike VF-1s, but they do work pretty well color-wise if you're going for a TV look, like me. (The arm armors are not technically the right sculpt for TV, but I'm not too concerned there.)

Yeah I bought several sets when they were at least a little cheaper.  I would have bought a lot more when they were first $20.  The VF-1J Armored Valkyrie is another one with the price that keeps climbing.

The HM Super Parts go well with my TV and DYRL VF-1A CFs and I don’t need them to color match with Skull Squadron.  I’ve got a few sets of TV arm armor for the VF-1s that really need it in my collection.

Edited by sh9000

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

the_king.png?itok=ZZXFfMmr

People, be cautious of mkkombini on evay selling items. Not communicative, changes stories and not willing to stand up for the toys he sells. 

I have also sent an email to bandai about this but i highly doubt that they will do anything since i dont live in japan. 

Also it seems like a lot of ppl are looking for right calf armor and i am also. 

If there is any smart one on this forum with 3d printer,  maybe he can start selling it..

On June 8, 2018 at 10:44 AM, sh9000 said:

Do you have a spare right calf armor that i can purchase off of u? If you do please let me know?

On June 8, 2018 at 2:35 AM, sh9000 said:

Yep.

I have spares of the left and right grey calf armor from all of the VF-1J Max and Milias I’ve used for customs that don’t need armor.  That can be another option for anyone interested.  You’ll have to color match though.

Would you like to sell me the right calf? 

MyKombini will reply.  It just takes a long time now and I don't know why.  Maybe 3-5 business days for a response.  Try to trade your leg armors on here instead of going through the hassle though.

2 hours ago, amptor said:

MyKombini will reply.  It just takes a long time now and I don't know why.  Maybe 3-5 business days for a response.  Try to trade your leg armors on here instead of going through the hassle though.

I hate to say it, but it’s seeming like a real longshot to trade for right calf armor pieces because most everyone has duplicate lefts.  To me, Bandai should be held accountable.  This is not cool.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:17 PM, yellowlightman said:

I also ended up with two left side leg armor attachment pieces (and a miscast, partially unpainted gunpod, but whatever) on my Hikaru 1A. I'm not able to get a replacement attachment piece from the shop where I purchased it, so if anyone ended up with two right side pieces and wants to do an exchange shoot me a PM!

I'd say the one good thing about the whole mess is that the calf armor is a pretty simple block of plastic.  Depending on the tolerances, it might be easy to get a Shapeways replacement made.

I'm working on an SDF-1 hangar diorama to display my HMR collection... trying to match the classic Macross background colors.

5b1d33dbede1f_MacrossWIP0.thumb.jpg.8b8e1c4024ba7ca135f37fc719cdee83.jpg

5b1d33e1297eb_MacrossWIP2.thumb.jpg.c2304020affa411da9f9a51f49ec8a95.jpg

5b1d33de9d277_MacrossWIP3.thumb.jpg.eafb5135e7ce172019b95e4d4d68d63d.jpg

Once I've settled on a color scheme, I can add the gantries, markings, accessories, and deck crew...

Constructive criticism would be most appreciated.

Edited by tekering

Looks good.  Nice use of mixing different hangar and playset pieces together.

Small details in the pic.  I think Hikaru’s VF-1J intakes should be changed and the VF-1S should have kite symbols.

17 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

Hikaru’s VF-1J intakes should be changed and the VF-1S should have kite symbols.

Excellent, thanks.  ^_^

I'm also hoping to replace that horrible blue canopy on the VF-1J.

5b1d3d1ac1548_MacrossWIP1.thumb.jpg.e280206248b32cc05a4773399c3360c2.jpg

18 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

Just got a 1/100 VF-17T.  Sound Force complete.

A 1:100 model kit of Ray's Valkyrie?

30 minutes ago, tekering said:

Excellent, thanks.  ^_^

I'm also hoping to replace that horrible blue canopy on the VF-1J.

5b1d3d1ac1548_MacrossWIP1.thumb.jpg.e280206248b32cc05a4773399c3360c2.jpg

A 1:100 model kit of Ray's Valkyrie?

40604363-7743-45C5-8F96-05A6E03D06C8.jpeg.aa69a0f81d1e2fa311580a51fc41fa4f.jpeg

I usually give all of the VF-1s clear canopies but in this shot they’re blue so there’s that.

Yeah it’s a Wave 1/100 Battroid kit.

On 6/8/2018 at 11:06 AM, sh9000 said:

Yeah I bought several sets when they were at least a little cheaper.  I would have bought a lot more when they were first $20.  The VF-1J Armored Valkyrie is another one with the price that keeps climbing.

The HM Super Parts go well with my TV and DYRL VF-1A CFs and I don’t need them to color match with Skull Squadron.  I’ve got a few sets of TV arm armor for the VF-1s that really need it in my collection.

Care to sell me a set?  :)

5 hours ago, tekering said:

I'm working on an SDF-1 hangar diorama to display my HMR collection... trying to match the classic Macross background colors.

Once I've settled on a color scheme, I can add the gantries, markings, accessories, and deck crew...

Loving the look of this! What exactly did you use to add to the original kit; I've been wanting to do something similar but have only purchased the Tomytec aviation platforms to separate the two bays or add additional floor space.  I've found its difficult to place more than 2 toys on the bays w/o them becoming overcrowded, start placing crew and set pieces and it gets small really quickly.  I've also found that taking a 1/72 double seated cockpit and cutting off the back half and reattaching it at 90 degrees allows for a passable raised seat from a 1/100 figure with the head pitched forward.  

5 hours ago, tekering said:

Dude that’s awesome.  Do you work for a special FX company building miniatures for movies or something?

5 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Looks good.  Nice use of mixing different hangar and playset pieces together.

Small details in the pic.  I think Hikaru’s VF-1J intakes should be changed and the VF-1S should have kite symbols.

I'm still waiting for Bandai to get with it, and sell TV-style fast pack sets for all their VF-1s.. they've got enough of them. :p

As a side note though, a good number of the HMR VF-1s need some work on their nose striping.  The M&Ms have the stripes properly done, but all the others cut off just behind the upper lip of the intake.  Those stripes should go all the way back to where the nose section ends, like what you can clearly see on Max's valk in that screenshot.

Edited by Chronocidal

4 hours ago, ShinerTheBock said:

Care to sell me a set?  :)

I don’t have any sets for sale.  I do still have extra sets of grey right and left calf armor. You’ll have to paint it but it will at least be stronger than something made through Shapeways.

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm still waiting for Bandai to get with it, and sell TV-style fast pack sets for all their VF-1s.. they've got enough of them. :p

I’d still buy a TV VF-1S with Roy and Hikaru pilots and Super Parts with TV arm armor or a new Super/Strike Parts set with DYRL and TV arm armor.

10 hours ago, tekering said:

Looks good....but if you are trying to match the classic background colors the walls should be the color of your floor....

varit1.jpg

Even the old ARII kit used the same anime colors...

robotech+factory+revell+model+00a.jpg

Still.....looks really good.....I recognize what you used for the walls....but what are you using for the ceiling?

:good:

8 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Looks good....but if you are trying to match the classic background colors the walls should be the color of your floor...

Ah, if only that were consistently the case...

inconsistent.thumb.jpg.2710fa6e2898844b0d138ed7863d1520.jpg

Unfortunately, since the model sheets the studios were using for reference were mostly black-and-white, background colors are all over the map.  :unsure:

9 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

I recognize what you used for the walls....but what are you using for the ceiling?

Mostly Wave's H-Hangar parts, with some NOVA Ubiquitous panels for the overhead lights.

5 hours ago, Wolf-1 said:

I've also found that taking a 1/72 double seated cockpit and cutting off the back half and reattaching it at 90 degrees allows for a passable raised seat from a 1/100 figure with the head pitched forward.  

Oh right, the GPB should have a seat sticking up behind the head.  Thanks.  ^_^

4 hours ago, ShinerTheBock said:

Do you work for a special FX company building miniatures for movies or something?

Just a hobbyist, of course, inspired by the show that's brought us all together here.  :wub:

But of course, we must remember how much FX miniatures informed the look of Macross to begin with.  When I interviewed Shoji Kawamori, he told me of the strong influence Thunderbirds had on him as a child, and how that aesthetic has affected his design work...

DKhKEKsWAAAjuzT.jpg

...so I've tried to acknowledge that as well.  B))

I bought two different Hikaru VF-1A Supers (one new and one used) - and I somehow lucked out. Both of them had the correct lower leg parts. Hopefully that situation is an isolated incident and doesn't show up in future HMR releases.

17 hours ago, tekering said:

This looks great. Any plans to do a Zentraedi hangar diorama as well?