Hi-Metal R

joppewo

On 15/11/2017 at 2:11 AM, Lolicon said:

Oh man, I had forgotten that I had the old VF-19 Hi-Metals from way back. I'm guessing the scale is more or less in-line with the newer stuff? :unknw:

5a0b0796b1548_himetal2017-11-14.jpg.ad45881cfc824f11d24e3b140ea0a754.jpg

A bit of thread necro, but @Lolicon I noticed you've done the panel lines on the VF-1J. It looks great. Can I ask how? Was it a marker or a pin wash? Does the plastic clean off the excess well? 

I'm about to do the panel lines on my VF-1A, as I think it looks far better than clean. Tips?

1 hour ago, Zuel said:

A bit of thread necro, but @Lolicon I noticed you've done the panel lines on the VF-1J. It looks great. Can I ask how? Was it a marker or a pin wash? Does the plastic clean off the excess well? 

I'm about to do the panel lines on my VF-1A, as I think it looks far better than clean. Tips?

I use a combination of Flory's model wash and mechanical pencil for panel lines. HMR toys have similar panel lines to their DX cousins, but because of the smaller scale panel lines look a lot thicker.

Gundam marker is much too thick for panel line work, IMO.

Yup.  The x-base is a bit on the expensive side but the technology has much creative potential.  I just picked one up and have been trying it out with small 3D prints and clay sculptures. The angle of the leds matters as you move around or away from the base.  Haven't figured out what blue and red lights on the back panel mean.  :D

26 minutes ago, DarkArchon3000 said:

Yup.  The x-base is a bit on the expensive side but the technology has much creative potential.  I just picked one up and have been trying it out with small 3D prints and clay sculptures. The angle of the leds matters as you move around or away from the base.  Haven't figured out what blue and red lights on the back panel mean.  :D

As to the angle of the LEDs, I saw a trick used with them to, put a bead of UV cure epoxy over the top and cure it to make a bulb, diffuses the light a bit.

Well my Regults arrived here last Friday but I wasn't home and wasn't able to pick them from the post office until today.  One of them has a problem.  It's knee joint is loose and doesn't want to standup.  If the stance isn't perfect the pod starts dragging down.

5 minutes ago, Roy Focker said:

Well my Regults arrived here last Friday but I wasn't home and wasn't able to pick them from the post office until today.  One of them has a problem.  It's knee joint is loose and doesn't want to standup.  If the stance isn't perfect the pod starts dragging down.

I have that same issue.

Well, a few weeks late to the party but I posted my VF-2SS review on anymoon. Hopefully I'll get the videos up this weekend. This toy gave me a reason to try out my gray backdrop. I think all pics are now 4K and will continue to be going forward.

Bandai-HMR-VF-2SS-10.jpg

Check out the review and let me know if I screwed anything up! http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=10337

Edited by jenius

Another informative review from Anymoon!  Well written and I admire/appreciate the time you spend posing/taking all of the pictures for fans.  Thank you very much.  :lol:

I really hope we'll continue to see valkyries other than the VF-1, such as the VA-3, VF-4G, VF-3000, VF-5000B, VF-17D/T and Fz-109F for example.  The Hi-metal line are just the right size, price and have good detailing.  As a long time fan of the G.F.F. series, I don't mind adding a few parts here and there.  B))

3 hours ago, jenius said:

Well, a few weeks late to the party but I posted my VF-2SS review on anymoon. Hopefully I'll get the videos up this weekend. This toy gave me a reason to try out my gray backdrop. I think all pics are now 4K and will continue to be going forward.

Bandai-HMR-VF-2SS-10.jpg

Check out the review and let me know if I screwed anything up! http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=10337

Thanks! As awlays, great review Jenius! :good:  ;) 

By the way, I prefer what Bandai did on the intake placement in Gerwalk mode. But I thought Evolution Toys got the intakes placement right in Gerwalk mode as per lineart? Bottom diagram #4 picture.IMG_5566.JPG.6908f92733df0264c0b7778b9e106b32.JPG

IMG_5567.thumb.JPG.72b09704af9892994c7bf3b303342b4c.JPG

8 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

8 hours ago, Mommar said:

I have that same issue.

Yeah, one of my knees was loose right out of the box.  It isn't that bad (it can still stand in most poses), but it is disappointing to see that QC issue on a brand new toy.

4 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Thanks! As awlays, great review Jenius! :good:  ;) 

By the way, I prefer what Bandai did on the intake placement in Gerwalk mode. But I thought Evolution Toys got the intakes placement right in Gerwalk mode as per lineart? Bottom diagram #4 picture.IMG_5566.JPG.6908f92733df0264c0b7778b9e106b32.JPG

IMG_5567.thumb.JPG.72b09704af9892994c7bf3b303342b4c.JPG

Are you sure you're looking at that photo correct?  The lineart clearly shows the intakes are outside of the fuselage of the fighter.  Bandai did that, Evolution did not.

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

Are you sure you're looking at that photo correct?  The lineart clearly shows the intakes are outside of the fuselage of the fighter.  Bandai did that, Evolution did not.

Yes. I know the intakes are correct and way better in Fighter mode with the HMR, than the Evolution Toy counterpart. I'm just pointing out on Jenius photo in Gerwalk mode posted above where he has a description of the different position of the intakes on the HMR version which is more correct. But based on the lineart, I think Evolution Toy got the intake placement right too when in Gerwalk mode resting under the chest area. Bandai's intake in Gerwalk mode is a little bit wider on the gap/spacing than the Evolution Toy's.

It is, but the final position of the legs is shown in figure 4, which has them further in than the HMR looks like it does.

I think part of the difference is that the HMR photo shows the intakes canted outward, which is messing with the perspective a little.  The line art does however show the insides of the legs being even with the sides of the nose, where the HMR has the big round hip pivot there.

On the other hand though, the ET version looks like they're actually too far inward, thanks to the massive thickness of the shoulder mounts taking up space.

Edited by Chronocidal

I dunno, there is one image in 4 that shows the intakes on the interior side but I can't conclude that's the final position. Every other piece of art I can find shows them out including the other 2 images in steps 4 and 5 and the image in step 3 and the other art on Macross Mecha Manual.

7 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Pics look great @jenius, I like the grey bg. The image is indeed 4k (3840 x 2160) although I thought we were limited to uploading smaller images here for bandwith reasons.

Ruh roh! The image is hosted on my site and linked here. Is it causing performance issues for anyone in a slower bandwidth? If so, I'm happy to just put the URL up, don't want to muck up anyone's MW experience.