Hi-Metal R

joppewo

Had a chance to mess around with it a little bit today, I gotta say, not overly impressed with the QC on this one Bandai, no where near the quality of the Destroids IMHO. Sprue marks on the SAP parts, and it's just...I don't know... finicky... perhaps it just down to the design of the thing, still  I do like it, it's an odd duck, and I dig it. Kind of the red headed step child of old school Macross.. 

20171130_162742.jpg

20171130_164721.jpg

20171130_164607.jpg

Got mine today... I must've gotten lucky as the sprue marks aren't as garish on mine as the other pics in the thread. Heavier than my other HM-Rs, with some really stiff joints that gave me anxiety while transforming it. I was afraid some of the more delicate plastic would stress or break.

It is a lovely toy and a great take on the VF-2SS with some minor flaws. Hopefully, if it's successful, someone will pick it up and make a definitive version in a larger scale.

To be fair, I doubt the VF-2SS was ever intended to exist as an actual production piece. Lots of animation trickery going on with its design. Having said that, I think it's a good attempt and I don't regret my purchase. I'll probably buy Nexx.. next.

TL;DR Disappointing attempt,  4/10.  A floppy mess.

I got my VF2SS last night from Image Anime in NYC.  I'm sad to say that, overall, I'm not very impressed.  This is my first HiMetal anything, and I guess I wasn't prepared for the vastly inferior product it is compared to the DX Chokogin Valks.

The transformation is quite simple and very straight forward, once you figure out how to tuck away the head and backpack properly.  The joints are stiff... TOO STIFF!  Rather than quality ratchet joints, they are using insanely thight rivets that barely turn, putting a TON of stress on the toys structure as you try to position the arms.  Worse, they will obviously loosen over time and the toy will become crap.

In Battroid mode, the heat shield doesn't cleanly meet the canopy, leaving a lot of glass visible.   In fighter mode, the legs and arms lock together for SOME structure, but the combined arm/leg structure has nothing to lock in to, and thus is constantly flexing around.  Nothing ever lines up!

The hands tuck away so badly it is better to just leave them visible in fighter mode.  They include a pair of ridiculous, tiny hands, that just BARELY fit inside the arms when tucked away.  They don't really look like hands at all, but little grey bits of crap that just fall off when you touch them.  Better to just remove them in fighter mode and store them.

The SAP is also quite floppy.  The joints are tight, but there's just too much toy for a PVC joint to work.  I just can't get the wings to stay parallel with each other, the gun to point straight, etc.

Paint apps are almost non-existant; there is just the red stripes on the chest, and a few little ports/plugs on the limbs.  I dare say the 1/100th Bandai kit from 1992 had more stickers.

I don't think any of these problems are QC issues; rather it's just an overly complex design that was executed quite poorly.  

I don't have one ( one of the unlucky ones who got shut out of the PO madness due to Amiami's very poor server service :()but comparing it to the DX Chogokin class seems kind of a stretch. On the otherhand, compared to the Evolution version, how does it compare?

Well I absolutely love my tiny little VF-2SS!  Yes, the QC is definitely not what I'm used to, I got huge sprue marks and a few places where they look like they were just twisted off leaving gouges behind where the sprues used to be.  Also I've got a few paint smudges and paint bleed so the paint apps were definitely not crisp, luck of the draw I guess.  A little disappointing definitely in the QC department, but just to get such a great representation of the VF-2SS is such a treat!  I love their sculpt and it really captures the goose-neck sleekness and angles of the original design.  If I were to really nitpick, I'd say the knee/upper thigh is just a tad oversized.  I can't believe they could get the anime magic transformation mostly done especially at such a small scale.  We'd all like it to lock in better in all the modes of course, but for the size I think they deserve congrats!  It has all the markings of the original anime.  I just wished the colours of the SAP packs were somehow less cheap looking - however again its anime accurate.  I might add some decals and weather/flat coat the SAPs to give them some weight.  I am looking forward to the NEXX blue one to display in a different mode.  I do love the aircraft mode without any SAP too! 

I find when you fiddle in the Battroid mode (I don't mind the fiddling - I call it playing and it holds pretty well once I get it the way I like - at least for now when its new), if you stick his "crotch" forward and push in his chest like he's doing crunches, it closes the gap in the shield to canopy, and recreates the iconic pose better (in fact most of the prototype photos that don't show this gap is posed this way)

I'd definitely be getting another one!

On 11/30/2017 at 4:02 AM, Mommar said:

Typical Bandai outing.  Incredible engineering to overcome odd anime magic... forgets to lock the nose cone down in Battroid or the arms in fighter.  Not even fun to pose in battroid because it's too fidgety, and especially frustrating with the SAP ejection system .  Or course I'm also soured by the fact mine came missing ng one of the closed missiles on the SAP so I either get a gap or perpetually firing a solitary missile.  And the head lasers were bent out of the box.

Sad to learn you're missing one closed hatch for the SAP missiles. And about the head laser turrets, good thing they've included another pair.

This is why I missed what Bandai were doing before on their releases. They install a PVC/rubber type material head laser turrets on the figure and have an extra pair in ABS material. 

2 hours ago, fenrir72 said:

I don't have one ( one of the unlucky ones who got shut out of the PO madness due to Amiami's very poor server service :()but comparing it to the DX Chogokin class seems kind of a stretch. On the otherhand, compared to the Evolution version, how does it compare?

For me, IMHO, the only advantage Evolution Toy version has over Hi-Metal R is just the scale. :rolleyes:

35 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

Well I absolutely love my tiny little VF-2SS!  Yes, the QC is definitely not what I'm used to, I got huge sprue marks and a few places where they look like they were just twisted off leaving gouges behind where the sprues used to be.  Also I've got a few paint smudges and paint bleed so the paint apps were definitely not crisp, luck of the draw I guess.  A little disappointing definitely in the QC department, but just to get such a great representation of the VF-2SS is such a treat!  I love their sculpt and it really captures the goose-neck sleekness and angles of the original design.  If I were to really nitpick, I'd say the knee/upper thigh is just a tad oversized.  I can't believe they could get the anime magic transformation mostly done especially at such a small scale.  We'd all like it to lock in better in all the modes of course, but for the size I think they deserve congrats!  It has all the markings of the original anime.  I just wished the colours of the SAP packs were somehow less cheap looking - however again its anime accurate.  I might add some decals and weather/flat coat the SAPs to give them some weight.  I am looking forward to the NEXX blue one to display in a different mode.  I do love the aircraft mode without any SAP too! 

I find when you fiddle in the Battroid mode (I don't mind the fiddling - I call it playing and it holds pretty well once I get it the way I like - at least for now when its new), if you stick his "crotch" forward and push in his chest like he's doing crunches, it closes the gap in the shield to canopy, and recreates the iconic pose better (in fact most of the prototype photos that don't show this gap is posed this way)

I'd definitely be getting another one!

Well said, Mr. Cheng. Can't wait to see your VF-2SS detailed up version. ;) 

As many have pointed out already....The QC just ain't great...Sprue marks etc.

Worse part, right out of the box, there was a crack on the right hand side back part. Not easy to spot. As it doesn't really show in any modes.

Like an idiot though I didn't take a pic of it before starting to fill it with putty. It's just behind that dark/bronze double metal hinge. You should be able to see the putty that's a different kind of white as I haven't sanded anything. That entire metal part for the legs/arms etc is screwed in directly into that plastic and there's a screw more or less right behind this part (it was probably screwed in too tight....but not keen on dismantling or doing anything more though). It's not as if it was going to break or anything, but still kinda disappointing as I can't stand cracks/stress marks etc.... Wonder if anyone else noticed cracks on these particular spots?

Otherwise, it looks great, happy with it. BUT....feels way too finicky and fragile... Plus those joints are supa' tight!!! (haven't transformed it yet....Don't think I'll bother, as most of my HMRs are displayed in Battroid and I still have the shitty Evo Toy 1/60 in fighter mode....

Will be getting the Nexx (for completion's sake...) Hopefully the Qc would have improved slightly by then....

image.jpg

On ‎2017‎/‎12‎/‎02 at 4:10 AM, Drad said:

Figuarts Zentran/Meltran, please? 

Those could be absolutely awesome figures.

I wont spend money on Figuarts idols, but SDFM Zentraedi officers and SDFM/DYRL troopers/pilots I'd absolutely have to get.