Hi-Metal R

joppewo

On 5/21/2017 at 11:38 PM, tekering said:

Well, the Spartan is definitely off.  According to Perfect Memory, Spartans and Tomahawks are both about 11.3 meters to the top of the shoulders, as this line art indicates:

11_3m.thumb.jpg.dc2733a589af296cb13e9aac2a6ebe8b.jpg

The HMR Spartan stands 14.3cm to the top of the shoulders, which is a good three centimetres bigger than it should be.

Note if we apply the same baseline to the HMR line, the Valkyries and Battlepods are consistent...

HMR_Spartan_scaling.thumb.jpg.3435b789b2ed9279cf7c2f0d24feb957.jpg

...but the vintage Imai Tomahawk's definitely too small, and the HMR Spartan's clearly too large.  :unsure:

I dunno. I think Bandai nailed the scale. They designed the Spartan so that you can adjust the height by compressing the hip joints. Here are my own comparison shots. You'll notice that the top of the Spartan's missile pods align with the top of the VF-1's chest

3mHQqt7.jpg

UGZMZN8.jpg

4 hours ago, tekering said:

Unfortunately, his gun pods were soon stolen by malcontents...

malcontents.thumb.jpg.6b82ec0c37b6a54b6ad0f709fb9e8af7.jpg

I'm a little saddened that most people here probably don't recognize these characters from Future Boy Conan. It's a enjoyable TV series that didn't seem to be very popular outside Japan.

BTW, I must say the Spartan is probably the best HMR so far. It's solid and it's super poseable. Fans will definitely be missing out if they skip the destroids in the HMR line.

Edited by ArchieNov

1 minute ago, ArchieNov said:

I dunno. I think Bandai nailed the scale. They designed the Spartan so that you can adjust the height by compressing the hip joints. Here are my own comparison shots. You'll notice that the top of the Spartan's missile pods align with the top of the VF-1's chest

3mHQqt7.jpg

UGZMZN8.jpg

Thanks for sharing that ArchieNov.  I would have been happy with the Spartan either way.  Now for them to just come in.

The infamous "egg-cracking" scene cut from Robotech due to excessively graphic violence:

egg-cracking.thumb.jpg.731bc7c0cb85e423019304f876c2cca3.jpg

11 minutes ago, ArchieNov said:

I dunno. I think Bandai nailed the scale. They designed the Spartan so that you can adjust the height by compressing the hip joints.

I'm a little saddened that most people here probably don't recognize these characters from Future Boy Conan. It's a enjoyable TV series that didn't seem to be very popular outside Japan.

BTW, I must say the Spartan is probably the best HMR so far. It's solid and it's super poseable. Fans will definitely be missing out if they skip the destroids in the HMR line.

The articulation is top-notch, and does allow for some minor height adjustment.

I agree, anyone who isn't getting the Spartan or didn't see Future Boy Conan is definitely missing out!

I just got my Spartan earlier and I love the joint tightness and I am surprised at the tilt for the ankles. I also am so glad the printed markings look so great and am super thankful that they didn't use crappy stickers. It's also a lot of heft for the price.

Now they just need to finish the rest of my wish list.

I forgot to mention that I also like the sliding missile effect to give a more anime look to those launchers. The ankles also have a joint that can reduce or extend the height. If you couple that with the way they did the thigh joint you can bring down the height to be spot on with those above height diagrams.

Spartan is great - just got one may get a second. Regarding that, I would like to change the nose number if I get a second - was the Spartan ever shown with a different number in the old show? Has any existing decal sheet for a Spartan kit contained additional numbers (aside from #2) or is there a font already out there that is similar for what is used (may print my own decals)

1 hour ago, Petrov27 said:

Spartan is great - just got one may get a second. Regarding that, I would like to change the nose number if I get a second - was the Spartan ever shown with a different number in the old show? Has any existing decal sheet for a Spartan kit contained additional numbers (aside from #2) or is there a font already out there that is similar for what is used (may print my own decals)

How will you get the decal off? I have tried using Mark Setter and let it sit for a minute, but it didnt work on my model kit, much less a tampo printed toy.

11 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

3mHQqt7.jpg

UGZMZN8.jpg

Thanks for the pics....always helps to know what your doing when posting comparison shots....:rolleyes:

Looks perfect now....

11 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Curious to see the first one who's going to post a line up of the whole line. From the Valks to the Destroids. Including the measurements and the actual in-scale ratio. ^_^ 

the-usual-suspects-1.png

Does "From the Valks to the Destroids" also include a Zentran and some human figs for scale.....like in the famous line art shot that keeps getting posted?

1 minute ago, jvmacross said:

Does "From the Valks to the Destroids" also include a Zentran and some human figs for scale.....like in the famous line art shot that keeps getting posted?

Yeah. ;) As long that HMR will also produce those 'teased' Zentran figure. It would be nice to see everything all lined up together. ^_^

52 minutes ago, arbit said:

How will you get the decal off? I have tried using Mark Setter and let it sit for a minute, but it didnt work on my model kit, much less a tampo printed toy.

I was thinking to print the white number (i have an alps printer that does white) onto a red rectangle that would cover the old #2. Might be hard to match the red exactly though...

9 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Seems like a HMR Phalanx release is infinitely higher at the moment....;)

Would love to get this line just for the Destroids but I really need to control my spending habit. :lol: Come to think of it, I'm reconsidering again to get another sets of Kei's and Olson's Orgroid figures rather starting a new line. ^_^

Edited by no3Ljm

9 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Would love to get this line just for the Destroids but I really need to control my spending habit. :lol: Come to think of it, I'm reconsidering again to get another sets of Kei's and Olson's Orgroid figures rather starting a new line. ^_^

This SDFM/DYRL line will come to an end soon enough....so far, with some exceptions, you can get every release at close to MSRP...so if you change your mind it won't be too difficult or painful to catch up....

I plan on painting the colored area of the Monsters and Destroids and then paint on a new number.

I also want to make colored Destroid variants.  I remember the old die cast 1/144 Destroids in different colors.  Anyone have pics of those?  I still have a blue and grey Phalanx.  I might make a red Spartan.

9 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

I plan on painting the colored area of the Monsters and Destroids and then paint on a new number.

I also want to make colored Destroid variants.  I remember the old die cast 1/144 Destroids in different colors.  Anyone have pics of those?  I still have a blue and grey Phalanx.  I might make a red Spartan.

Are these the ones you're looking for?

From CollectionDX:

http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/phalanx_spartan

http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/1985/excaliber_mk_vi_battloid

http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_review/destroid_defender_raider_x

Got my Spartan last night. Had a lot of fun posing it. I like that even the nose sensor can pivot. It's those little touches that really make this line excel. I wish the legs could get into some more dynamic positions but its a minor nit. Bandai did they best they could with extending joints in the hips and feet, the mech design itself is just limiting. I'd rather have somewhat limited articulation to keep it closer to the proper visual representation.

I lost track of how many batter up poses I put it into last night knocking a Regult all around the park.

12 hours ago, Saburo said:

The Spartan arrived today, I am really liking it. I now even more excited to get the rest of the Destroids.  Can't wait to have all them to pose with the Monster. :D

Q_HMR_SPRTN_001.png

What happened to your rear cannons? Hopefully they are just folded back out of sight and not broken/missing.

34 minutes ago, Boobytrap said:

Got my Spartan last night. Had a lot of fun posing it. I like that even the nose sensor can pivot. It's those little touches that really make this line excel. I wish the legs could get into some more dynamic positions but its a minor nit. Bandai did they best they could with extending joints in the hips and feet, the mech design itself is just limiting. I'd rather have somewhat limited articulation to keep it closer to the proper visual representation.

I lost track of how many batter up poses I put it into last night knocking a Regult all around the park.

What happened to your rear cannons? Hopefully they are just folded back out of sight and not broken/missing.

The cannons are there, I accidentally pointed them down :blink: when I went move the Spartan to position it for the shot. I'll make sure to position them when I do the studio shots. :D

32 minutes ago, jasonmacross83 said:

Hi guys, just selling my MISB Hi-Metal Regult. Shipping is free

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hi-Metal-R-Regult-Macross-New-MISB-/263002139388?

I'm sure you know the rules, right? :rolleyes: Better to put it there before your post gets deleted by mods. 

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/forum/9-for-sale-amp-trade/

DHL shipping is nuts, from Japan to my door two days total, and cheaper then EMS! No kinds of fees either, though honestly I've never received a request for any kind of import fees for any other shipping method before. Got my Spartans in and they are looking good, stellar toys. The paints apps are great and there's a lot of little tiny details, very beautiful work throughout. I'm loving these guys, they're great, my only minor gripe is the ankle rocker, it's honestly pretty weak. Other then that these things are nicely articulated throughout, very well thought out joints, and metal in all the right places. I'm impressed yet again, and how long has it been since a complete Spartan figure has been made? This line is a beautiful thing, I really want my 3 Defenders.

20170524_180336.thumb.jpg.72afbe1dde406fb9c1b813ba53b0cecf.jpg

20170524_180404.thumb.jpg.96a50d8812bb849b517481ab962de46c.jpg

At this point, without trying to gloat, I think I've got the second biggest Hi-Metal collection on MW, behind sh9000 of course. 1 DYRL Hikaru 1S, 1 Hikaru 1J, 1 DYRL Hikaru 1A, 1 DYRL Kakizaki 1A, 1 DYRL Max 1A, 2 DYRL That Guy 1J, 6 brownies, 2 DYRL Roy 1S with supers, 1 Roy 1S original hi-metal line, 1 Hikaru 1J original hi-metal line, 2 sets of M&Ms, 12 Regults, 3 Spartans, 2 Monsters, 2 Glaugs, 3 super parts, and 2 missile sets.

edit: Stupid me, I didn't look at the instructions before putting my dirty mitts on these guys. The ankles pull down, revealing WAY more ankle rocker and articulation overall.

Edited by Tking22

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned as an improvement for the HMR VF-1 line over the original releases but I just noticed a few days ago while transforming my HMR VF-1S Roy into battroid mode that the backpack can now be pushed down and it actually clicks into place and locks very securely. On the original release you'd push the backpack down a bit but didn't have the click into place feature and eventually it would get out of position when handled even moderately. That's especially helpful with the FAST packs installed as they stressed the backpack and pulled it out of position way too easily.

Apologies in advance if that a commonly known fact ^^

3 hours ago, Frogze said:

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned as an improvement for the HMR VF-1 line over the original releases but I just noticed a few days ago while transforming my HMR VF-1S Roy into battroid mode that the backpack can now be pushed down and it actually clicks into place and locks very securely. On the original release you'd push the backpack down a bit but didn't have the click into place feature and eventually it would get out of position when handled even moderately. That's especially helpful with the FAST packs installed as they stressed the backpack and pulled it out of position way too easily.

Apologies in advance if that a commonly known fact ^^

Thanks, I didn't know about this!

4 hours ago, Frogze said:

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned as an improvement for the HMR VF-1 line over the original releases but I just noticed a few days ago while transforming my HMR VF-1S Roy into battroid mode that the backpack can now be pushed down and it actually clicks into place and locks very securely.

Yeah it was mentioned a long time ago.