Hi-Metal R

joppewo

Preordered it last November (to avoid any stupid price hikes obviously..), felt like a long wait, but finally landed today \:D/.

No differences in the material as far as I can tell. It's pretty much the exact plastic etc for each of the RHMs. Not sure why people seem disappointed. The shade of red maybe? Personally happy with how it turned out. It fits perfectly with Max's colour . (Like many, I also own the Yamato ones, the Toynamis etc...It would be pointless if they all had the exact same colour tones).

image.jpg

image.jpg

38 minutes ago, calubin_175 said:

How about fiddle friendliness?

I see that Yamato ones have too many loose hinges etc.

Overtime, any toy or figure for that matter that needs friendly-fiddling, will still become loose. Do note that some members here pointed out that their toy left unmoved for months and when they moved it, some joints or hinges are loose.

It's more of a question of how frequent you're going to touch, transform, and play with your 'toy'. If you want something beyond your reach let's say working table, and want to play a little bit, then go with the HM-R. If you want something bigger and have shelf prescence then go with the DX/Yamarcadia. At the end of the day, next question will be is how much budget you have to invest on which line. ;)

If you need those Genuine Bandai Explosion effects for your Hi-metal R Battles^_^

Entertainment earth is having their 21 years sales. 
Cheers to 21 Years! Use Offer Code CELEBR8 for 21% Off Your In-Stock Order.
The place where you enter the coupon code is on the upper right of the (step 3 /payment) section of check out.

Explosion Red Version Tamashii Action Figure Effect = $18.16 after coupon.  Free shipping if over $79

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BA93813#.WOBLCdIrKUk

8 hours ago, calubin_175 said:

Which ones are more durable and playable, Hi-Metal Rs or Yamato/Arcadia?

I missed out on NY preorder but my brother in Hong Kong managed to get a box damaged Hi-Metal VF-1J Milia for 800 HKD ~ 11500 yen.

HMR are more durable; so far only Jenius' shoulder broke.  Yammy have had many shoulder breaks on the early V2 1/60.  See Jenius webpage for the list of broken valks.  

The plastics and the large (non moving) parts on the Yammies seems higher quality, but the transforming hinges, parts, etc doesn't seem much better than Bandai HMR.  If the parts break, you'd have to get them printed.  yammies look really good on display because they are more detailed and larger.  Like models, fragile but detailed.   Also expensive.  If you have the cash, this is the best valk currently on the market.  Yammies had a couple destroids.

Bandai HMR has a softer plastic that feels cheaper.  But the softer plastic doesn't break as easily and isn't brittle.  I've popped out the shoulders (they can pop out) and put them back on.  HMR is simpler to transform and smaller and takes less space.  They are like toys.  I don't worry about breakage.  Also HMR has the enemy mechs, and more destroids so this line has more to collect.  

8 hours ago, barurutor said:

IMHO the HM-Rs are more playable than the Yamarcadia 1/60s, especially with the enemy mecha. But, if you hate partsforming then 1/60 wins hands down.

This.  The partsforming doesn't bother me; it's just the cockpit windshield/heat shield.  The landing gear is hardly used by me.  

7 hours ago, calubin_175 said:

How about fiddle friendliness?

I see that Yamato ones have too many loose hinges etc.

The 1/48 Yammies are really loose by now, the V2 60 were not as loose because they tabbed into the other parts (but some V2 were prone to breakage).  The Bandai copied the V2 tabs.  The Bandai HMR have been getting tigher in the recent releases.  My HM (not HMR) from years ago has gotten looser but still pretty poseable.  

19 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Drool.  It looks like the 1/72 model kit compared to the stand its on.  

Bandai sometimes produces stuff from fans though.  Eg. bearguy was originally a fan made mod of acguy.  Now there's lots of variants of bearguy.

Edited by beatsing

Is that video above giving us the first look at the box art for the Spartan, or have we already seen that before somewhere?

Either way, I'm noticing that there's no clear window on the box for the actual toy to show through, as on most of the other HMRs. I wonder if that will be true of all the destroids.

5 hours ago, Lonely Soldier Boy said:

LOL These kids look so excited yet they have no clue what those toys are about.

Aren't they the voices for the Freya, Reina and Bogue ? They must know a little bit.

I might have to get another spartan.

Edited by wmkjr

3 hours ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

Is that video above giving us the first look at the box art for the Spartan, or have we already seen that before somewhere?

Either way, I'm noticing that there's no clear window on the box for the actual toy to show through, as on most of the other HMRs. I wonder if that will be true of all the destroids.

Well, the Monster didn't have windows either but that would have been very hard to do. I'm not a fan of windows so I can live without it but I'd have preferred a flip top lid.

2 hours ago, wmkjr said:

Aren't they the voices for the Freya, Reina and Bogue ? They must know a little bit.

I might have to get another spartan.

Yea they are and watching the spartan bandai seems to have gotten the chunky brawler proportions for the spartan right....Sugoi sugoi!

Still not sure abt the defender, and i tot it would look taller too, but i can imagine a squad of them would look real real nice...