Hi-Metal R

joppewo

Its true.

I bought 3 regults cause reasons. Then i bought a two VF1A cause it was cheap enough, then when max was available again i got a second one. Then milias poped, got one but when i catched my second max i said " hey max need his match" so got another.

Yeah the one I wanted to have multiples of was regults. It actually started with regults! I was in Japan and I had never heard of HMR but I was looking at this HMR Regult in Yodobashi. I didn't buy one immediately (bad move) since I wanted something bigger. And in my research I stumbled into MacrossWorld...and that's how I found my way to the rabbit hole! :lol:

Max arrived today...and I'm a bit underwhelmed.

Maybe my Max excitement level is only high when paired with Milia. The last 3 releases have all been the VF-1. I got a nice VF-1 squadron forming but each new VF-1 released in a row lowers my excitement level by 5%. I love pizza but even I get tired of having pizza 3 nights in a row. After the 2nd night I want to have meatloaf on the 3rd night. That way I'm excited to have pizza again on the 4th night. They really need to start adding some more variety to the releases again.

Max arrived today...and I'm a bit underwhelmed.

Maybe my Max excitement level is only high when paired with Milia. The last 3 releases have all been the VF-1. I got a nice VF-1 squadron forming but each new VF-1 released in a row lowers my excitement level by 5%. I love pizza but even I get tired of having pizza 3 nights in a row. After the 2nd night I want to have meatloaf on the 3rd night. That way I'm excited to have pizza again on the 4th night. They really need to start adding some more variety to the releases again.

i agree 100%. after swooshing my cf around for days i only opened my max to check for defects and put it away. time for some destroids!

Opened my Max up today, and while I'm glad to get a hold of one, I've got one question for Bandai..

Are they going to actually settle on a permanent pattern of tampo markings for the VF-1 any time soon? <_<

I've got no two releases that actually use the same markings in the same way. The chest, arms, and nose stripes are all distinctly different from the Hikaru 1J, and I'm irritated that they didn't use the Max-styled nose bits on all the others, because they finally extended them to where they should be behind the intakes.. but then they borked up the chest stripes so badly I want to strip them off and repaint them so they're not so lopsided and uneven. This is freaking Bandai.. why is this so hard for them??

Just.. ugh. :rolleyes:

Also, it feels like the releases are getting sloppier as they go. Mold marks, bad paint, etc all over it. I am slightly suspicious of AmiAmi throwing bad batches at foreign customers, so that might have something to do with it. Glad I got a second coming from NY later, just hope it's in better shape than this one.

Edited by Chronocidal

[align=left][HI-METAL R]【All that Hi Metal R】 MACROSS series[/align]

[align=left]I am waiting for Destroid[/align][align=left]太陽之牙系列, 唔知出唔出到一隻以上?[/align]http://gundamatefsf.blogspot.hk/2016/11/hi-metal-rall-that-hi-metal-r-macross.html

[align=left][align=center]07.jpg[/align][/align]

[align=center][float=left]01.jpg[/float][/align][align=center][float=left]02.jpg[/float]

[/align]

The Max I just received is my first Hi-Metal R VF-1. I'm kind of underwhelmed. Maybe it's because the fun-factor comes from the posing options in battroid mode and I'm more of a fighter guy? Or maybe I'm bad at transforming it. It looks like a gappy mess from the side in fighter mode.

ro4EKZb.jpg

The issues I have are (left to right-ish):

1. The chest and the back don't like to sit flush.
  2. There's a bit of a gap between the hip and the wing roots, but at least you can't see clear through.
  3. There's a gap between the knee and the wing root that you can see clear through to the other side of the fighter.
  4. The tab that holds the leg to the bottom of the plane doesn't really snap into place. There is often a larger gap here. Even in the photo, you can see through the plane here.
  5. The backpack doesn't really line up with the back in fighter mode. It's being pulled down by side tab of the legs.
  6. There is a gap between the left stabilizer and the backpack that I can't seem to get to get rid of.

Is there anything in particular you can see that's mis-transformed in the picture?

Edited by MikeRoz

I don't have my Max yet but I know it doesn't take much to be off on the tolerances to cause several gaps. Usually the one at the top with the chest plate goes away with just a touch of pressure and that helps line things up a little better. I would think your issue with the tail fin section has to do with the double hinge and you just need to push down a little on the front and pull up a little on the back. This was the closest pic from my sight I could find to show one looking a lot smoother:

Hi-Metal-Comparison-11.jpg

The Max I just received is my first Hi-Metal R VF-1. I'm kind of underwhelmed. Maybe it's because the fun-factor comes from the posing options in battroid mode and I'm more of a fighter guy? Or maybe I'm bad at transforming it. It looks like a gappy mess from the side in fighter mode.

ro4EKZb.jpg

2. There's a bit of a gap between the hip and the wing roots, but at least you can't see clear through.
  3. There's a gap between the knee and the wing root that you can see clear through to the other side of the fighter.
  4. The tab that holds the leg to the bottom of the plane doesn't really snap into place. There is often a larger gap here. Even in the photo, you can see through the plane here.
  5. The backpack doesn't really line up with the back in fighter mode. It's being pulled down by side tab of the legs.
  6. There is a gap between the left stabilizer and the backpack that I can't seem to get to get rid of.

Is there anything in particular you can see that's mis-transformed in the picture?

Only mistransformation I see is the head-laser...

Well, other than the obvious no wings and no FPs installed, that is...

ro4EKZb.jpg

• The chest and the back don't like to sit flush.
  • There's a bit of a gap between the hip and the wing roots, but at least you can't see clear through.
  • There's a gap between the knee and the wing root that you can see clear through to the other side of the fighter.
  • The tab that holds the leg to the bottom of the plane doesn't really snap into place. There is often a larger gap here. Even in the photo, you can see through the plane here.
  • The backpack doesn't really line up with the back in fighter mode. It's being pulled down by side tab of the legs.
  • There is a gap between the left stabilizer and the backpack that I can't seem to get to get rid of.

They're all kind of like that but that's a minor nitpick for me.

For everyone that is underwhelmed with HMR, please PM me and I'll send you my address for where you can discard them.

They're all kind of like that but that's a minor nitpick for me.

For everyone that is underwhelmed with HMR, please PM me and I'll send you my address for where you can discard them.

I might take you up on that, provided you PM me some money first.

I have a CF waiting for me to pick up in a couple days, I'll see if that's any better.

@MikeRoz : the pegs that go into the back of the legs are not properly in (should go all into the calves), that should help with the gap at the back of the knees. The backpack is on a double hinge so it can be straightened up (yours is obviously droopy here, you need to press a bit at the hinge to wiggle the rear upward). This also helps reduce that gap because the backpack goes a bit lower here. The vertical stabilizers can be pushed in so they are perfectly flush with the backpack too.

There's still a small gap behind the knees and the upper fuselage but honestly it's only noticeable if you look directly from the side

I might take you up on that, provided you PM me some money first.

I have a CF waiting for me to pick up in a couple days, I'll see if that's any better.

Depends on what you have and your prices. Check your PM.

Just bought another CF VF-1A with my other account for $64.33 shipped.

like any scaling toys, when you zoom in on a 1/100 and make it a much bigger scale size (similar to 1/42) then obviously it will show more faults.

you should be able to fix most of it by aligning it here and there, but the chest and the back does have a small gap, but it's not as big in real life as the zoom in pic.

for #3, you can get it a bit closer, and in normal cases you will not see it because there's a WING just above it. It will block it from most of the angles, you will only see it if you really look for it.

#4 and 5 are together, raise the leg into the tabs more, so it will not pull down on the backpack.

below are some of the other side pics for comparison.

post-2743-0-58073300-1480293606_thumb.jpg

post-2743-0-41415800-1480293614_thumb.jpg

post-2743-0-65084400-1480293807_thumb.jpg

post-2743-0-72517200-1480293919_thumb.jpg

And since you have a CF VF-1A coming in, it'll be gappy like your vf-1J max too :p

post-2743-0-18640800-1480293927_thumb.jpg

j/k , moving the knee/ leg a bit back should fix that.

Edited by F360

HMR fighter mode is going to feel like a big step down if you're coming from the 1/60 scale stuff. Fighter mode is where good engineering and production is really paramount, and deficiencies really show if they're not up to snuff.

That said, it's still the best transforming valkyrie toy at this scale.

Best to just enjoy them in battroid mode like I do, especially if you already have the 1/60 versions. :D

30917869080_a5f7298acf_o.jpg

31249326746_67205b45cd_o.jpg

31249326616_39edeed949_o.jpg

@MikeRoz : the pegs that go into the back of the legs are not properly in (should go all into the calves), that should help with the gap at the back of the knees. The backpack is on a double hinge so it can be straightened up (yours is obviously droopy here, you need to press a bit at the hinge to wiggle the rear upward). This also helps reduce that gap because the backpack goes a bit lower here. The vertical stabilizers can be pushed in so they are perfectly flush with the backpack too.

There's still a small gap behind the knees and the upper fuselage but honestly it's only noticeable if you look directly from the side

The issue that every single HMR VF-1 I have has is that none of the legs like to seat properly on those pegs. It's like some piece of the valk is too thick to sit properly in place, and while they're plenty sturdy while locked with all the tabs together, there's something that keeps the legs from ever fitting into place correctly.

If I unlock the backpack, and fold it up? Everything fits fine. If I drop the arms from between the legs, and lock the backpack in? Same deal, everything aligns. But as soon as I try and slot the backpack in, it pushes against the arms, which pushes them downward, which winds up pushing down on the tabs on the insides of the legs, causing them to twist, and then slide down on the pegs.

Honestly, it's like the arms are too tall, or the tabs are located badly. If I press the legs upwards, the pressure from the arm tabs twists them outward, which also winds up twisting the arms, and then the gunpod falls out. Everything just feels slightly off.

Also, the shape of the arms is responsible for the gunpod aiming up into the bottom of the cockpit. They're just too wide at the wrist, and the underside of the arms winds up angled down at the back, tilting the gunpod upwards.

Don't get me wrong, they're fun little toys, but Bandai seems to be slacking off in either the design or assembly for this kind of stuff to happen.

Edited by Chronocidal

Quick question

All the Max come with the stand right?

I ask because NY has it out of stock right now and there are some on ebay that, after the cupon end at a reasonable price

All the Max come with stands, it's all packed in the normal hi-metal R box.

It's the clear blue pieces.

post-2743-0-90899000-1480314574_thumb.jpg

incase you want some hi-metal r on ebay

ebay flash sale, $15 off $75 coupon code CYBERFLASH16

Pay for your item with PayPal by 6PM Pacific Time on November 27, 2016

http://pages.ebay.com/promo/2016/1127/Holiday.html?&_trkparms=%26clkid%3D757116470315361267

I used the Black Friday coupon to get 20% off an original Hi-Metal Roy

Saw your pic and was tempted to use the tubes again, but nope. Too risky for me.

So whatever limited posing the trident and standalones can do without 'em then...

Since people are posting pics of their HMRs on stands, might as well show off my own Valkyrie Xmas tree...

pApA9MG.jpg

Edited by ArchieNov