Hi-Metal R

joppewo

That's just it...it was a mistake....not even sure Bandai has ever owed up to it....I'm guessing Japanese fans aren't that critical so they probably won't....the fact that Bandai is releasing a VF-1A with both TV and DYRL parts means they are totally aware of the differences between both versions.....the same can now be said with their upcoming TV VF-1J.....

Bandai is so against admitting they did it wrong that they'll print the same mistake on multiple generations of products of the same robot, as if they're insisting that their mistake is the truth. It's like they seem to think if they keep copying them, everyone will forget they're wrong. It's part of why I really don't want to buy the M&Ms, because it's just supporting that nonsense.

And I don't buy for a minute that Japanese fans aren't as critical. There's a reason these high end toys and models exist there, when the US gets to choke on masterpiece veritechs and the garbage coming out of Revell (specifically the Star Wars kits).

Bandai is so against admitting they did it wrong that they'll print the same mistake on multiple generations of products of the same robot, as if they're insisting that their mistake is the truth. It's like they seem to think if they keep copying them, everyone will forget they're wrong. It's part of why I really don't want to buy the M&Ms, because it's just supporting that nonsense.

And I don't buy for a minute that Japanese fans aren't as critical. There's a reason these high end toys and models exist there, when the US gets to choke on masterpiece veritechs and the garbage coming out of Revell (specifically the Star Wars kits).

So why the replacement service for the YF-29 SWS shoulder? ^_^

I don't think Bandai is purposely messing it up, they are probably just not as knowledgeable about "what color the missile tips should be", as some of the gurus on MW.

Just remember there are all types of fans. For some fans like me who have followed since the mid-80's, my eyes don't catch some of these subtle differences, like a red arrow or a black arrow. They are really too small to make a big difference to me. Unless someone points it out, I would never catch it.

But when I see Fast Packs are white instead of grey, even I cringe.

Here's my Bandai Story:

Last sunday, I went to Akihabara to hunt for some Macross Toys. I'm on the prowl for Vintage 1/55s, affordable Yamarcadias and the HM-R, specifically the Glaug.

During the hunt, I saw a YF-29 Durandal with the correct "SMS" shoulder print on display.

Went to different stores looking for the best priced Glaug. Here are the different prices in yen:

1) 13,300

2) 12,980

3) 11,700

4) 8,000

5) 11,000

6) 12,640

Yep, I found the best price. B))

While looking around I saw the Minmay Plamax on display. Then finally was able to taste the burger from Carl's Jr. (The line has always been long whenever I'm in the area, but not this time). Later that day, I saw an HM-R Roy with stage and a 1/55 GBP-1S Armor.

Got a chance to drop by the Tamashii showroom. I tried making the demo unit Glaug stand on one feet without using any stand. I got to talk to the person at the booth and he wrote down my feedback regarding the Macross HM-R line. I told him that there are plenty of overseas fans of the SDF Macross and that they should reissue them especially the VF-1 and hopefully Bandai does and you guys can thank me later. ;) Unfortunately though, I failed to mention about the Max & Milia arm armors. :(

Then it was time to go home. Yes, to the area near Walkure's first mini concert was held.

Before departing for the airport, I went to a local second hand shop and a yellow submarine and found an HCM VF-1S Hikaru DYRL and a YF-29 that already comes with the replacement shoulder.

EDIT: Then it was time to watch Macross Delta Episode 9, Raw!!!

post-458-0-74613600-1464697690_thumb.jpg

post-458-0-34699900-1464697731_thumb.jpg

post-458-0-20229400-1464697839_thumb.jpg

post-458-0-71438600-1464697930_thumb.jpg

post-458-0-18548100-1464698002_thumb.jpg

post-458-0-94970100-1464698054_thumb.jpg

post-458-0-26933000-1464698131_thumb.jpg

post-458-0-65350200-1464698232_thumb.jpg

post-458-0-42781600-1464698272_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bub

While looking around I saw the Minmay Plamax on display. Then finally was able to taste the burger from Carl's Jr. (The line has always been long whenever I'm in the area, but not this time). Later that day, I saw an HM-R Roy with stage and a 1/55 GBP-1S Armor.

Yeah I saw the lines when I was there in March. Crazy! Of all the things to bring over from the States. That stuff will clog your arteries! :o

Awesome find on that 8k Glaug. I'd go look for some in Akihabara myself, but the cost of a plane ticket would cancel out any savings. :D

Here's my Bandai Story:

Last sunday, I went to Akihabara to hunt for some Macross Toys. I'm on the prowl for Vintage 1/55s, affordable Yamarcadias and the HM-R, specifically the Glaug.

During the hunt, I saw a YF-29 Durandal with the correct "SMS" shoulder print on display.

Went to different stores looking for the best priced Glaug. Here are the different prices in yen:

1) 13,300

2) 12,980

3) 11,700

4) 8,000

5) 11,000

6) 12,640

Yep, I found the best price. B))

Got a chance to drop by the Tamashii showroom. I tried making the demo unit Glaug stand on one feet without using any stand. I got to talk to the person at the booth and he wrote down my feedback regarding the Macross HM-R line. I told him that there are plenty of overseas fans of the SDF Macross and that they should reissue them especially the VF-1 and hopefully Bandai does and you guys can thank me later. ;) Unfortunately though, I failed to mention about the Max & Milia arm armors. :(

Then it was time to go home. Yes, to the area near Walkure's first mini concert was held.

Before departing for the airport, I went to a local second hand shop and a yellow submarine and found an HCM VF-1S Hikaru DYRL and a YF-29 that already comes with the replacement shoulder.

I hope I also find deals like that on HMR toys when I get to Tokyo next year. What shop had the best prices by the way?

Yeah I saw the lines when I was there in March. Crazy! Of all the things to bring over from the States. That stuff will clog your arteries! :o

Awesome find on that 8k Glaug. I'd go look for some in Akihabara myself, but the cost of a plane ticket would cancel out any savings. :D

It was actually priced 8,640 (tax incl.) then I told them that I brought my passport so they computed for the tax free price of 8,000! Can't beat that! :p

I hope I also find deals like that on HMR toys when I get to Tokyo next year. What shop had the best prices by the way?

I'd always recommend Jungle and Akibano-X. But look at other stores too to compare prices. ;)

... But then again, the Max and Miriya were not displayed at the Akiba showroom anymore. They probably pulled them out when they realized they put wrong arm armors on them? <_<

Anyway, more pictures from the same batch. This time, VF-1A's sporting the chest/shoulder covers:

And some more on these threads:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=36970&p=1280731

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=43118&p=1280739

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=43115&p=1280741

post-458-0-08197800-1464704567_thumb.jpg

post-458-0-88940500-1464704604_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bub

Pretty cool Bub, thanks! I'll be sure to check that out when i'm in Akiba next week.

OT, but did you spot any Cosmo Fleet SDFs? Still thinking on whether I should try my luck in Akiba, or just get it from HLJ..

My first post right here. :)

Because of the post above, I just learned of the Cosmo Fleet TV SDF. Is there a product similar to this out there for the DYRL SDF?

Because of the post above, I just learned of the Cosmo Fleet TV SDF. Is there a product similar to this out there for the DYRL SDF?

welcome to the board.

the cosmo fleet tv sdf was not hi metal r. no announcements of any ships of that nature in this line so far either.

Edited by jaylive

Gonna skip out on the tv hikky. Already.got 2 from legacy line. Plus it was a pain to recast two tiny dyrl pilots without having to resort to slow cure resin and an electric toothbrush to vibrate my mold to get the bubbles out.

Edited by Duymon

The closest in scale would be the WHAM SDF-1 in 1/5000....it comes in "movie color" and "a blue chrome-like" paint scheme....you can still find it on auction sites like eBay and Yahoo japan Auctions....

wavmc-42_0.jpg

Alright, so after just a few minutes playing with it, the Glaug is now my favorite HMR release.

It's huge and impressive. You could probably reenact his skirmish with Hikaru with the Yamato 1J and it wouldn't look unusual. (Mine's currently disassembled.)

It's super poseable with nice tight joints. The main "knee" joint is ratcheted for more stability. Even the red "toes" are individually jointed. The little claw thingies in front of the ankles are jointed too, but I don't know what purpose they serve.

Good surface detail throughout. I'm glad I bought two; I think at some point I'll have to detail & decal this baby up!

Love the opening cockpit. Bandai had better give us a Kamujin figure to put in it!

The Yamato Q-Rau is kinda crappy compared to this. :p

glaug%20001_zpstgd5cawy.jpg

glaug%20002_zpsavxkhllz.jpg

I wonder if this will sell out or warm the shelves a bit?

For you guys in Japan, are the HM-R VF-1s still easy to find like the Regults, or marked up at a premium price?

Edited by arbit

I wonder if this will sell out or warm the shelves a bit?

For you guys in Japan, are the HM-R VF-1s still easy to find like the Regults, or marked up at a premium price?

I'm also curious about how the line is doing in Japan versus on the MW Forums. This group is an outlier when it comes to how the wider consumer might look at Macross merchandise, so I would not assume our appetite for this stuff is matched by the average toy shop visitor over there.

I've been wondering about the scales of production for the HMR line as well. Are HMR units been produced in low number or high numbers? Do you guys think there is any way to get at that information?