Hi-Metal R

joppewo

I really don't think doing a poll is going to give us an accurate result. I do know many of the younger ones would have probably been introduced to macross by their parents, but I think most under 20 people don't have macross on their radar. Most anime fans here in the U.S. Seem to be more interested in non mecha shows like Tokyo Ghoul, Kill la Kill, One Punch Man, or maybe slightly older stuff like DBZ.

Haven't posted here in a while. Just out of curiosity, how old are you guys?

I wore my Robotech/Shirt outside today (I live in Manhattan) and the people who recognized it were dudes in their 30s and 40s and some younger Asian guys.

Hi-Metal line seems to have older fans. I only really care about SDF and Plus

I turn 33 this year.

36 in 10 days. Well since macross came as robotech in the 80s its natural people fro around that time will have stronger interest in it. I for one started to get more intrested in my early 20s and watched everything available by that time (macrosd zero was just being released)

I'm 26 so I think I'm the youngest on this board. Delta is being talked about by younger anime fans but not having a simulcast really hurts it from ever reaching mainstream attention (thank you HG).

On a unrelated note, how good is delta? Im skipping it till its over. I hate waiting for a weekly release.

Thanks for answering guys! My bro is a fan of the regults. I got him the Hi-Metal Regult and he freakin loved it. He turns 38 this year

You don't know how excited I was to get my regults. I wanted one for so long that when I got mine, I swear a tear almost fell from my eye :lol:

I'm gonna be 38 soon and have been watching anime since I can remember, mostly Gatchaman, MazingerZ, and of course Macross. When I was a kid all we had were the americanized versions, but around my late teens I was able to finally see the real versions of most of the classics.

Now because of me my daughter also loves anime and she's really into the whole cosplay thing. She just turned 18 and she has her own favorites, but I have passed by her room a few times while she was watching my Macross DVDs and she likes the original the best, but she also likes frontier as well. I don't think she's seen the new delta stuff yet.

On a unrelated note, how good is delta? Im skipping it till its over. I hate waiting for a weekly release.

Not really the thread to discuss that but pretty good I'd say. The plot is moving at a very nice pace, the cast is pretty fun, and it looks like we'll be getting a lot more of the Macross lore explained if this constant mentioning of the Protoculture is anything to go by. The tone feels like a nice mix of 7 and Plus which is what Kawamori was going for I think. If you loved the Dynamite 7 OVAs for showing different races and their culture then you'll probably love this. Maybe you'll want to wait for it to finish first before diving in but there's 7 episodes out now currently and that might be enough to convince you if it's worth your time or not.

Like many here I imagine, I grew up with Robotech and eventually moved to Macross and other animes. So you can certainly count me a fan of the classic SDF/DYRL.

However, tho I agree that business-wise Bandai would be smart to stick with SDF for the HM-R line for now, I seriously hope they do branch out eventually as I would love to see a HM-R YF-19 (improved from their previous 19 incarnations of course) or a VF-2SS like they teased previously.

Maybe we should start a poll on that topic. I also get the feeling that most of the SDF-1/DYRL crowd is at least above 20 at least. I am sure there are some younger guys that may like the designs too.

My idea for the poll was for age group interested in HM-R, not the whole site. I wonder if HM-R is trending a bit older, and how much of the younger audience has been brought into SDFM through Frontier and Delta.

Edited by arbit

My idea for the poll was for age group interested in HM-R, not the whole site. I wonder if HM-R is trending a bit older, and how much of the younger audience has been brought into SDFM through Frontier and Delta.

Not even sure where you would post that poll. But I can answer that the fans in my age group have been watching all of the Macross franchise while waiting for new episodes of Delta so it technically is drawing in newer fans. But I think the high cost of the HM-R toys are going to scare away most of the newer fans. Spending $80+ on a toy of a show you just watched recently is pretty unreasonable for a lot of people.

Not really the thread to discuss that but pretty good I'd say. The plot is moving at a very nice pace, the cast is pretty fun, and it looks like we'll be getting a lot more of the Macross lore explained if this constant mentioning of the Protoculture is anything to go by. The tone feels like a nice mix of 7 and Plus which is what Kawamori was going for I think. If you loved the Dynamite 7 OVAs for showing different races and their culture then you'll probably love this. Maybe you'll want to wait for it to finish first before diving in but there's 7 episodes out now currently and that might be enough to convince you if it's worth your time or not.

cool bro, thx for the explanation, i for one loved M7 and Plus, so it may be tailor made for me. I think ill wait till its done. 7 caps might sound like a lot, but can be watched in a sunday morning XD

I think most collectors of japanes toys and action figures are probably at least late teens and up due to the cost and as far as Macross specific are probably older due to relevancy and changing trends away from mecha anime.

Things like gundam will always be more popular due to the fact that more people know about it now, with kits being sold here and there in the U.S. And with the IBO series coming to Cartoon Network.

As far as Macross goes it's not on tv none of the newer stuff past plus can be released here and the toys that do exist here are just crap from toynami.

That's what I meant. Currently the HM-R line is only offering SDFM/DYRL toys. I highly doubt the younger audience is stalking these new vintage toys like the older fans.

38 and yes i predominantly care about SDFM, DYRL, Zero, Plus, and a little bit forntier (though my collection says i like frontier way more than i do so i may dump some of thsoe dx chogokins). hi metal r line is definitely one of the lines i care about most as it has the enemy mecha (finally!!).

42 here, and I'm all in with HMR. I look forward to finally having all of the important characters and mecha from SDF Macross. Hopefully a VF-2SS at some point, too.

I loved Yamato/Arcadia, but I can't afford them anymore and I'm done waiting for them to slow-drip us the characters and mecha that we want. I wish them the best and am grateful that they came onto the scene.

I'm 35. I knew of robotech but wasn't really into it. Plus is what got me hooked.

i loved robotech from the start, but mostly because the macross saga, the other 2 were kinda lame to me. And look where it lead me to lol. Macross Plus is what made me get interest on it and Macross 7 made me a fan.

42 here, and I'm all in with HMR. I look forward to finally having all of the important characters and mecha from SDF Macross. Hopefully a VF-2SS at some point, too.

I loved Yamato/Arcadia, but I can't afford them anymore and I'm done waiting for them to slow-drip us the characters and mecha that we want. I wish them the best and am grateful that they came onto the scene.

Ditto on everything said above. But I'm 41.