Hi-Metal R

joppewo

I'm still surprised at no HMR Delta VFs especially considering how much merch it's already getting.

I know there are a lot of people hoping for other HMR lines but I hope they stick with SDF Macross for as long as possible. If they start doing Frontier/Delta/Plus we'll never get obscure stuff and this scale is PERFECT for obscure stuff.

I know there are a lot of people hoping for other HMR lines but I hope they stick with SDF Macross for as long as possible. If they start doing Frontier/Delta/Plus we'll never get obscure stuff and this scale is PERFECT for obscure stuff.

+1

Releasing Delta HMR toys now would undercut their DX sales. Why would Bandai do that to themselves?

Maybe in a few years when the DX line is done.

yeah most likely when they are done releasing DX Deltas (at least main valks)

I don't understand how anything from SDF could be considered obscure.

Ground and pound

Except for the old Takatoku's, there hasn't been a complete set of Destroid toys. So I am really psyched for the full range in HM-R after all these years.

Okay, the point is that there are plenty of SDF Macross mecha that have fewer toys than say the VF25 or the YF21 or are in development for the VF31. That's not to say I wouldn't welcome those things eventually but I'd much rather have them after a complete SDFM line up.

Okay, the point is that there are plenty of SDF Macross mecha that have fewer toys than say the VF25 or the YF21 or are in development for the VF31. That's not to say I wouldn't welcome those things eventually but I'd much rather have them after a complete SDFM line up.

That reminds me of the original Hi-Metal line. It started well, but then after a couple Macross 7 valks, it went belly up.

So I would stick to SDFM if I was them.

Edited by arbit

I agree, I would prefer a complete line over multiple releases of different series toys. This could be the first time we have all the releases from a single series of toys ever, I hope they keep it up.

Edited by Loop

Agree

I think it's best for Bandai to stick with SDF releases until they cover petty much most of the mecha. After that they can focus on the other series. Maybe a VF-2SS as a web exclusive somewhere in the middle too. If they do anything Frontier, or Delta on their Hi-metal R line right now, it will take focus away from their DX Chogokin line.

But the original Hi-Metal line started with Macross 7 VFs. It went belly up after they started releasing VF-1 toys.

I feel like they stopped the Hi-Metal VF100 line to focus on the SDF stuff because they were probably the only successful part of the line. It wouldn't make sense to me that they would kill the line because it did so poorly and then base it around that same series after a year or so... this is all conjecture on my part...

But they seem to be open to making valks that are not so obscure... hopefully they'll decide to do those... after all the enemy mechs and destroids... lol.

SDFM line first all the way. We need a complete set of Destroids and more enemy mecha. Most of the time if the mecha doesn't transform and isn't piloted by a hero it gets ignored by toy companies. Hi-Metal R is giving us collectors what toy companies usually don't make. I want to see them continue to give more love to the second class citizens of Macross mecha.

But the original Hi-Metal line started with Macross 7 VFs. It went belly up after they started releasing VF-1 toys.

Hmmm...Thanks for clarifying.

Finally opened up my HMR Roy last night, nice little piece of engineering. A little fiddly to get the arms situated properly in fighter mode, but I like the sliding mechanism for the most part; I freaked out a bit the first time I tried to rotate a shoulder, and the sliding hinge popped off the shaft (nothing broke, they pop on and off pretty easily). Those ball joints actually feel tighter than any of my 1/60 Bandai valks.

Makes a nice little desk model though, and I like that you really only need the canopy cover and gunpod handle to fully transform it.

Was also happy to see that the popped-up fast pack angle I've seen in a lot of pictures is just from the backpack not being pushed fully aft. They line up nicely level once everything is pushed into place.

On the flip-side of that though, I think my biggest gripe is that they printed most of the skulls at a screwy angle (I didn't look closely at the canopy cover). They're all aligned with each other, but it's like Bandai used an off-kilter reference point to align them, and they're all tilted pretty significantly.

I might also try to pry apart the dual reaction missile clusters, because they're assembled entirely cockeyed on the pylons.

Lots of old school SDFM fans for HM-R. Feelin' right at home.

I would be interested in a survey on the age groups interested in this line.

Edited by arbit

With Bandai being in full Delta mode....I'm guessing the HMR line will be the "legacy" line (basically, any VF/mech not currently being televised) and DX will be for MacD and special one-offs (1/35 VF-1, 1/1800 or 1/3000 SDF-1, etc)....

The only exception to this would be the DX Mac D VF-1....but I'm guessing (hoping) for a late appearance in a year or two....by then the HMR VF-1 SDFM/DYRL lineup should be more or less complete.....thus allowing Bandai not to shoot itself in the foot by releasing competing VF-1s in multiple scales that would be at very close price points.....1/35 VF-1 would be in a league of it's own....maybe $350-500 for the ultimate PT VF-1....if it ever gets made, it may actually just turn out to be a prototype to figure out the mechanics for their 1/60-ish DX version.....kind of like Yamato used the 1/48 to develop the 1/60 V2...except Bandai may just skip the actual retail release of the 1/35 and go DX when ready.....

Edited by jvmacross

Maybe we should start a poll on that topic. I also get the feeling that most of the SDF-1/DYRL crowd is at least above 20 at least. I am sure there are some younger guys that may like the designs too.

Maybe we should start a poll on that topic. I also get the feeling that most of the SDF-1/DYRL crowd is at least above 20 at least. I am sure there are some younger guys that may like the designs too.

yeah do the poll, im curious.