Hi-Metal R

joppewo

So ah, what's the longest anyone in the US has waited for an international item to clear the USPS ISC center? Currently, I've been waiting on one of my Hi-Metal R's to clear ISC New York since the 20th of Nov. At what point do I start wondering if it got lost?

So ah, what's the longest anyone in the US has waited for an international item to clear the USPS ISC center? Currently, I've been waiting on one of my Hi-Metal R's to clear ISC New York since the 20th of Nov. At what point do I start wondering if it got lost?

I had them take damn near two weeks for one of my VF-4's a few years back at the LA one. You might want to track down the phone number for both the post office and customs and call around.

Oh its definitely tracked, which is why I know it's at the isc center. It's just that it hasn't moved since the 20th.

I'm usually pretty patient if I use slow shipping, but I elected for ems shipping this time, so it's like urrghh...

You should probably talk to your post office to ask what's your next step , along with phone numbers and contacts to ask. That is too long of a hold at customs for ems shipping.

Nice photos. For some reason, these pics make it look like it's bigger than it actually is.

Yes ... reminded me of the 1/48s, those buffy legs.

Got mine today. From the size I'd say its not too small that a sliding heatshield would be too fragile.

Seems like its just Bandai's development cost cutting thats preventing a more intricate perfect transformation..so they can price it right.

A nice coat of Dullcote on these HMR's really enhances their aesthetic; kills the sheen and gives a crisper overall vibe, especially helps the fighter mode, which I feel is the weakest mode; relatively speaking.

I really enjoy handling these High Metal R toys, by comparison my 1/60 scale Valkyries have spent their life in one mode, as I'd have a small panic attack every time I transformed them, and the plastic seems to feel more brittle with every passing year; although that might just be in my head. Plus I still need to purchase two sets of shoulder-hinge replacement parts...the shapeways flat rate international shipping charge, is a massive turn-off.

Anyway, so far so good with the HMR line - dig the price, love the upcoming range; scale and engineering, I can't imagine Bandai will drop the ball with the non-transforming Zentradi mecha. Just hope that Glaug pod can hold its own arms up.

Edited by north-exit

Opened up my Hikaru 1S today and I have to say I already like it more than the 1J.

Feet are straight this time.

Chest stripes are angled so it doesn't look like a Takatoku.

Actual clear visor part instead of painted on.

No comically oversized UN Spacy kite on the front fuselage.

Still don't like the backpack design though.

I'll have to paint the red dot on the head myself and no head arrows. Bandai cheaps out on the strangest things.

Might even transform it later and see if fighter mode is less of an eyesore this time around.

HLJ finally got around to cancelling my extra Regults so now I only have one. They also cancelled my second 1S so I am only getting the one now.

1 mech, 3 modes, only able to preorder 1 at HLJ :(

Unless I start seeing more 1S getting listed like the 1J I will fear the release of the Regults and my need to army build them.

Transformed it and I have to say it looks 10x better with the strike parts added. I almost wish I had bought a second one.

It also helps that Hikaru is wearing the correct flight suit this time around. I don't care what rationalizations are thrown around, the GBP 1J has the wrong damn flight suit. :p

Transformed it and I have to say it looks 10x better with the strike parts added. I almost wish I had bought a second one.

It also helps that Hikaru is wearing the correct flight suit this time around. I don't care what rationalizations are thrown around, the GBP 1J has the wrong damn flight suit. :p

It's because Bandai was being cheap and lazy, period.

A nice coat of Dullcote on these HMR's really enhances their aesthetic; kills the somewhat cheap-looking sheen and gives a crisper overall vibe, especially helps the fighter mode, which I feel is the weakest mode - looks kinda "Brumby".

I really enjoy handling these High Metal R toys, by comparison my 1/60 scale Valkyries have spent their life in one mode, as I'd have a small panic attack every time I transformed them, and the plastic seems to feel more brittle with every passing year; although that might just be in my head. Plus I still need to purchase two sets of shoulder-hinge replacement parts...the shapeways flat rate international shipping charge, is a massive turn-off.

Anyway, so far so good with the HMR line - dig the price, love the upcoming range; scale and engineering, I can't imagine Bandai will drop the ball with the non-transforming Zentradi mecha. Just hope that Glaug pod can hold its own arms up.

I've always wanted to topcoat my toys, and only tried it once with Krylon flat coat, but it left it with a tacky feel (luckily, I was able to strip the top coat)... Is it the Testors Laquer Dullcote you used? Does it leave a tacky feel? Thanks in advance!

Got my two 1Ss a few days ago. Funny considering i had one shipped EMS and the other SAL. It's pretty much what i expected, actually a little better. It's a lot more solid than the orginal releases. My Max 1J is super loose and floppy. Overall i think these are neat little toy. Like someone else said they feel more like toys to be played with.

I'm reserving judgement until I get my hands on one, but it's pretty frustrating. Can't really order/preorder. Scalpers on eBay aren't a solution. It's kinda sucky that a $75 today is being resold for $125 or more, which is like a 200% markup!.

So... I got my HIkky 1s in today from HS.

For some reason it came in faster than my HLJ gbp hikky that's coming in via SAL.

As a long-time Hi-metal fan I definitely can see that these have improved quite a lot in some areas, but also are lacking in others when compared to the originals.

Better

1. Canopy is crystal clear in the R series. Looks much better

2. Feet are much more sturdy on the R.

3. Joints in general are tight for a toy of this size

4. Grey color is much more appealing and less yellow-prone than the pure whites from before

5. Metal shoulder joints look like a good improvement.

6. Head is a better sculpt with clear visor

7. inclusion of two extra sets of head lasers that are thin and nice looking.

Worse

1. NO REGULAR FIGHTER STAND ADAPTER.

2. Little "nubs" leftover from sprue cutting are visible on parts like the wrists. REALLY?

3. NO REGULAR FIGHTER STAND ADAPTER.

4. The Head is a nicer sculpt but it's also really..really big now.

5. NO REGULAR FIGHTER STAND ADAPTER.

6. Legs don't lock in all the way in regular fighter mode. Also wings have that weird ass upward bend like on many of the VF-25's.

7. NO REGULAR FIGHTER STAND ADAPTER. DAMN YOU BANDAI. DAMN YOU!!!!

So... I got my HIkky 1s in today from HS.

For some reason it came in faster than my HLJ gbp hikky that's coming in via SAL.

As a long-time Hi-metal fan I definitely can see that these have improved quite a lot in some areas, but also are lacking in others when compared to the originals.

Better

1. Canopy is crystal clear in the R series. Looks much better

2. Feet are much more sturdy on the R.

3. Joints in general are tight for a toy of this size

4. Grey color is much more appealing and less yellow-prone than the pure whites from before

5. Metal shoulder joints look like a good improvement.

6. Head is a better sculpt with clear visor

7. inclusion of two extra sets of head lasers that are thin and nice looking.

Worse

1. NO REGULAR FIGHTER STAND ADAPTER.

2. Little "nubs" leftover from sprue cutting are visible on parts like the wrists. REALLY?

3. NO REGULAR FIGHTER STAND ADAPTER.

4. The Head is a nicer sculpt but it's also really..really big now.

5. NO REGULAR FIGHTER STAND ADAPTER.

6. Legs don't lock in all the way in regular fighter mode. Also wings have that weird ass upward bend like on many of the VF-25's.

7. NO REGULAR FIGHTER STAND ADAPTER. DAMN YOU BANDAI. DAMN YOU!!!!

Wait, what?

It does not include this adaptor I highlighted in red?

post-263-0-82172700-1449365065_thumb.jpg

pic from http://blog.livedoor.jp/hacchaka/archives/51965940.html

edit:

here's another pic of it in fighter-mode with the adaptor from that blog:

post-263-0-75176700-1449365344_thumb.jpg

Is that adaptor really missing from your set?

Edited by treatment

I've always wanted to topcoat my toys, and only tried it once with Krylon flat coat, but it left it with a tacky feel (luckily, I was able to strip the top coat)... Is it the Testors Laquer Dullcote you used? Does it leave a tacky feel? Thanks in advance!

Testors Dullcote is solvent based, and should never be used on "soft" or pliable plastics - PVC Vinyl etc. The HMR toys (so far) are constructed of a "hard" plastic styrene of sorts, so the results are perfect. As a rule of thumb, hard plastics are usually OK, but anything soft requires acrylic water-based products. Here's some points...

- Remember to take it easy with the coats, you don't want to "pool" the clear-coat on the surface.

- Mask off any portions you don't want to "dull" - clear visors, lights etc.

- I probably wouldn't do the hands on these HMRs, they seem too soft, and it doesn't stand out anyway,

- Keep approx 25cm away from the surface, and make brisk passes with the can, but not too fast, or you'll end up with "dry" paint on the surface.

- It's actually a rather forgiving process and pretty easy to master, so don't be nervous, the results will be awesome. But even so, do some practice runs first.

- Wipe the surfaces free of any mold release agents before commencing, even though the solvent in the clear-coat will ensure an excellent bond anyway, it's a good habit to form.

Hope this helps, and apologies if you already knew most of this stuff.

Edited by north-exit

Wait, what?

It does not include this adaptor I highlighted in red?

attachicon.gifd98fdb48-s.jpg

pic from http://blog.livedoor.jp/hacchaka/archives/51965940.html

edit:

here's another pic of it in fighter-mode with the adaptor from that blog:

attachicon.gifed8f1daf-s.jpg

Is that adaptor really missing from your set?

That's the wrong adapter. That's for fighter fast packs and was included in the fast pack sets way back when they were released separately.

The Reg fighter adapter is more Flat and fits super snug on the fighters. I'll take a pic when I get home from work :p

Edited by Duymon